Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits
    Posted: 06-Jan-2010 at 02:17
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

This map is in general theory and nothing more. I see also some non-sence around Haplogroup names, which make failing conclusions. As Beorna says Haplogroup 2 is common in whole Europe, and this is a central fact in the map for me. Hg 2 is no common in "your" Pakistani Kashmiri-the true one. Also in couple another asian groups. It`s little represent through north africans. For me Haplogroup 2 is a sign of ancient indo-european connection, because we can see it in different proportion among all european population. From another hand, we can see Hg 2 is some asian (Kalash, Brahmins) and north african groups with indo-european connection, known from historical and anthropoligical sources. But as I always says, DNA is just a chemical code.

The map shows that HG1, HG2 and HG 3 all are present in the area of India and Pakistan as well as in Europe. On the map near every of haplogroups is also given the region and % where this haplogroup is highest. The more to the west the HG 1 seems to be most common with the highest in Connacht in Ireland. HG 2 is common almost in every part of Europe while HG 3 seems to be most common in Central and Northern Europe.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
diegis1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote diegis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2010 at 04:44
 This is an interesting and quite complete article on genetic studies (even if i think genetics is still far from make complete studies on big populations)

http://www.jogg.info/41/Wiik.pdf

Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2010 at 12:58
Appearance of some Roman emperors according to Suetonius and his "The Twelve Caesars"

Julius Caesar:
"XLV...He is said to have been tall of stature with a fair complexion, shapely limbs, a somewhat full face, and keen black eyes;..."

Octavian Augustus:
" LXXIX ... He had clear, bright eyes, in which he liked to have it thought that there was a kind of divine power, and it greatly pleased him, whenever he looked keenly at anyone, if he let his face fall as if before the radiance of the sun; but in his old age he could not see very well with his left eye. His teeth were wide apart, small, and ill-kept; his hair was slightly curly and inclining to golden; his eyebrows met. His ears were of moderate size, and his nose projected a little at the top and then bent slightly inward. His complexion was between dark and fair. He was short of stature (although Julius Marathus, his freedman and keeper of his records, says that he was five feet and nine inches in height [Roman measure, a little less than five feet seven inches American measure]), but this was concealed by the fine proportion and symmetry of his figure, and was noticeable only by comparison with some taller person standing beside him."

Tiberius:
"LXVIII. He was large and strong of frame, and of a stature above the average; broad of shoulders and chest; well proportioned and symmetrical from head to foot. His left hand was the more nimble and stronger, and its joints were so powerful that he could bore through a fresh, sound apple with his finger, and break the head of a boy, or even a young man, with a fillip. He was of fair complexion and wore his hair rather long at the back, so much so as even to cover the nape of his neck; which was apparently a family trait. His face was handsome, but would break out on a sudden with many pimples. His eyes were unusually large and, strange to say, had the power of seeing even at night and in the dark, but only for a short time when first opened after sleep; presently they grew dim-sighted again. ..."

Caligula:
"L. He was very tall and extremely pale, with an unshapely body, but very-thin neck and legs. His eyes and temples were hollow, his forehead broad and grim, his hair thin and entirely gone on the top of his head, though his body was hairy. Because of this to look upon him from a higher place as he passed by, or for any reason whatever to mention a goat, was treated as a capital offence. While his face was naturally forbidding and ugly.."

Claudius:
"XXX  Either standing or sitting, but especially when he lay asleep, he had a majestic and graceful appearance; for he was tall, but not slender. His gray locks became him well, and he had a full neck. But his knees were feeble, and failed him in walking, so that his gait was ungainly, both when he assumed state, and when he was taking diversion..."

Nero:
"51. He was about the average height, his body marked with spots and malodorous, his hair light blond, his features regular rather than attractive, his eyes blue and somewhat weak, his neck over thick, his belly prominent, and his legs very slender..."

Commodus, according to Herodian:
"At this time he was in the prime of youth, striking in appearance, with a well-developed body and a face that was handsome without being pretty. His commanding eyes flashed like lightning; his hair, naturally blond and curly, gleamed in the sunlight as if it were on fire; some thought that he sprinkled his hair with gold dust before appearing in public, while others saw in it something divine, saying that a heavenly light shone round his head. To add to his beauty, the first down was just beginning to appear on his cheeks."

Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 00:40
Delete it. I`m just joking how we accept and discussing ancient physical traits from present day point of veiw. Roman/Greeks didn`t look more different than people which live now in Europe to me.  
BTW "historically inaccurate" is also connection slave-slavic made from you in this treat, because latin word for slave is „servus“ and  morphology is much more close to modern english verb "Serve" than "slave". "Slavyani" is a self-given name and didn`t give by romans to slavs. They never use this term about any nation. In all slavic language "slovo" means "word" or "language" and "slava" mean "glory". Ancient greek word for slave is "sklabenoi". 
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 05:11

Ancient greek word for slave is "sklabenoi". 

no... ancient greek words for slave are doulos(δούλος), eilotas(είλωτας), hypotelis(υποτελής) etc

"Sklavinoi" or "Sthlavinoi" or "Sthlavoi" or "Sklavoi" were used along with the others firstly to describe the Slavic people and later got the meaning of "slave". 

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 07:56
The German word "Sklave" and the english word "slave" are, as far as I know, connected with "sklavenoi" "slava".

I am sorry I just found the y-haplogroups of Greece, but not those of mtDNA.
There is 32% E1b1b, 31% R1b, 14% J2, 12% R1a, 11% I2a.

I am not a DNA professional, I just looked for some literature. That is what I found.
As you can see, we have two Haplogroup trees. A male Y one and a female mtDNA one. Both are for sake not identically. Both have a problem with fixing exact dates.
Y-DNA:
In Africa we have A, BT, B and CT. Only the people with CT left Africa with success. But I donT know when. I would suppose it was short before the first glacial maximum from 75 to 70k. Around that time the  CT group was divided into an east-african-arabian branch and an western/southern asian branch, which inhabited later East Asia, Australia and America. The in west Asia remaining population began to migrate since about 46k again. From south asian they reached SE-Asia E-Asia and Australia again. In the west they pushed the Neanderthalers backwards. The T-Group even went into Africa. The NOP groups were still living in Western and Southern Asia. From here they went to Europe before the last glacial maximum. Others moved to Asia and Amerika. During the glacial, perhaps during the gravettien the IJ-group came to Europe.

MtDNA:
This types evolved in Africa as well. we have three groups as well in South, Central- and Eastafrica.  The oldest dates back to 174-107k (compare with Y-DNA group A). Perhaps we can compare L3 with the y-dna CT from 104-80k in East Africa. This was dvided in M (compare with Y-DNA C) and N (perhaps like Y-DNA F). M evolved about 60k. N moved to West Asia and from there different groups came to the East (A), to Europe (I) and Africa (X, like Y-DNA T).  A daughter-group of N is R, which stayed in Western and South Asia but from there people went to thEast-, Sotheast Asia and Australia and america around 50k (Haplogroups B,F,U). U is very common from Europe till India.The group HV went to Europe before the last glacial maximum (see Y-DNA NOP) and was pushed then to the Iberian peninsula (V) and the Balkan (H). The J-group existed in the Orient and Nothafrica and spread in the mediterranian area.

So at least at the end of the ice age we havd the most if not all Haplogroup already in Europe. So every attempt to identify them with Slaves, Vikings, Pashtuni or others is nonsense.

If I come back now to the Greek population, than we see, that Haplogroups can't help us to identify any /pre-historical/historical invasion after the ice age. we can suppose, that E1b1b and J2 and I2a are very old in Greek and that the R types came later with the Indoeuropeans but there is no need to.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 07:58

Delete it. I`m just joking how we accept and discussing ancient physical traits from present day point of veiw. Roman/Greeks didn`t look more different than people which live now in Europe to me.  
BTW "historically inaccurate" is also connection slave-slavic made from you in this treat, because latin word for slave is „servus“ and  morphology is much more close to modern english verb "Serve" than "slave". "Slavyani" is a self-given name and didn`t give by romans to slavs. They never use this term about any nation. In all slavic language "slovo" means "word" or "language" and "slava" mean "glory". Ancient greek word for slave is "sklabenoi". 

I deleted other post. That post was just breaking the flow of this discussion.

You made good point. I stand corrected. 
What is origin of English word slave?
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 10:03
Originally posted by beorna

The German word "Sklave" and the english word "slave" are, as far as I know, connected with "sklavenoi" "slava".

So at least at the end of the ice age we havd the most if not all Haplogroup already in Europe. So every attempt to identify them with Slaves, Vikings, Pashtuni or others is nonsense.

"Sklave" is a German word for slave. Similarity with english "slave" is obvious. As I know word for Slavic on modern German is something like "Slawen". It`s so hard to find connection between greek work "Sklavenoi"- one of the interpretations to the self-given name by Slavs and german word. Germans took much more words in Medieval period from Latin language then Greek. Influence of Latin because of the Catholic church was much stronger. There is possibility "Sklave" to be old -german word about Slavs, but I don`t know.

Very interesting idea about Haplogroups in Europe!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 10:22
About Slavs, the first mention was by Persians as "Sakalaba" (Scythian Speaking people, "Saka"=Scythian, "Laba"=Lip, Speaker) for all Eastern European people, then Arabic Saqaliba, Greek Sklabos, ...
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 10:49
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

About Slavs, the first mention was by Persians as "Sakalaba" (Scythian Speaking people, "Saka"=Scythian, "Laba"=Lip, Speaker) for all Eastern European people, then Arabic Saqaliba, Greek Sklabos, ...
It is interesting.
This may imply that Slavs word is of Persian/Greek origin. I believe in Latin B and V are the same sound. 
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 11:10
Originally posted by Patrinos

Ancient greek word for slave is "sklabenoi". 

no... ancient greek words for slave are doulos(δούλος), eilotas(είλωτας), hypotelis(υποτελής) etc

"Sklavinoi" or "Sthlavinoi" or "Sthlavoi" or "Sklavoi" were used along with the others firstly to describe the Slavic people and later got the meaning of "slave". 

It`ll be interest to me to explain what is the reason for this change of meaning. To me it is hard to find historical explanation. Byzantine empire never had enough strength to rule a long time over slavic states on the Balkan. On the contrary Bulgaria many times delivered heavy defeat to Byzantine army, and even in 917 D.C. bring empire to his knee after Battle of Acheloos.  

To talk about Byzantine domination over another Medieval Slavic states like Kievian Rus, Poland, Bohemia... will be non-sence.
I read many Medieval Byzantine author. They absolutely rare used term "Sklavinoi" when they write about Bulgarians. Terms are mostly "Scythians", "Moesians", "Voulgaros"...

Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 11:17
Saka meaning Scythian. Ancient Iranians called them Saka. Very interesting! There is possible connection between ancient scythians/sarmatians and Medieval Slavs. Soon I`ll post theme about this.

Saqaliba became to arabic from persian language. It`s clear. BTW 90 % of so called "arabic" civilization is a persian product. Persons from Persia dominate in all sphere of knowledge during Caliphate period and latter.

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 07-Jan-2010 at 11:27
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 11:46
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

It is interesting.
This may imply that Slavs word is of Persian/Greek origin. I believe in Latin B and V are the same sound. 
Never ever, I would like to say. The Slavian word for their own people comes from slovo (perhaps there is an older sklovo), what means something like "the speaking". Slavs are no Sakas.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 12:38
I have problem with self naming for one reason. One can have self naming for a smaller tribe, however there is not enough kinship in a whole, disparate linguistic group to name itself. There are West Slavs, East Slavs, South Slavs and they are very, very diverse. I can understand Poles (Polanie) etc, but  self naming on a larger scale does not make sense. 
I think the same applies to Germans. The name for the whole group was probably external in origin as well. I don't think Visigoths or Franks thought of themselves as "Germanic" tribes.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 07-Jan-2010 at 12:44
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 13:03
It is possible that Saklabs and Slavs were really different peoples and these names are just similar to each other, as I mentioned in this thread World, according to a Persian book, Persians didn't consider Saklabs and Russians as the same people, of course it is said some people in this region (north of the Black sea) are similar to Russians.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 15:02
Western Slavs were never called Slavs up to 19th century. They were called Wends (Vends), Vinds and Vandals. For example Poland and Polish ruler Boleslaw the Brave (and his father Mieszko) are in scandinavian sagas called Burizleif king of the Wends (Jomsvikinga Saga and Olaf Trygvasson Saga). I think that originally the notion "Slavs" was reserved for southgern Slavs. Altough later the Poles, probably after creation of Polish kingodm were no longer called Wends and fought war against them.

"Some Medieval authors used the ethnonym "Vandals" applying it to Slavic peoples: Wends, Lusatians or Poles"

Edited by Mosquito - 07-Jan-2010 at 15:13
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 15:24
Jomsviking Saga:

The Danish king, Svein Tjuguskeg, was married to Gunhild, a daughter of Burizleif, king of the Vinds..(..)...Burizleif, the king of the Vinds, complained to his relation Earl Sigvalde, that the agreement was broken which Sigvalde had made between King Svein and King Burizleif, by which Burizleif was to get in marriage Thyre, Harald's daughter, a sister of King Svein: but that marriage had not proceeded, for Thyre had given positive no to the proposal to marry her to an old and heathen king. "Now," said King Burizleif to Earl Sigvalde, "I must have the promise fulfilled." And he told Earl Sigvalde to go to Denmark, and bring him Thyre as his queen. Earl Sigvalde loses no time, but goes to King Svein of Denmark, explains to him the case; and brings it so far by his persuasion, that the king delivered his sister Thyre into his hands. With her went some female attendants, and her foster-father, by name Ozur Agason, a man of great power, and some other people. In the agreement between the king and the earl, it was settled that Thyre should have in property the possessions which Queen Gunhild had enjoyed in Vindland, besides other great properties as bride-gifts. Thyre wept sorely, and went very unwillingly. When the earl came to Vindland, Burizleif held his wedding with Queen Thyre, and received her in marriage; bus as long as she was among heathens she would neither eat nor drink with them, and this lasted for seven days...(...)...It happened one night that Queen Thyre and Ozur ran away in the dark, and into the woods, and, to be short in our story, came at last to Denmark. But here Thyre did not dare to remain, knowing that if her brother King Svein heard of her, he would send her back directly to Vindland. She went on, therefore, secretly to Norway, and never stayed her journey until she fell in with King Olaf, by whom she was kindly received."

And from the Gunhild (know also as Sigrid, original polish name Swietoslava) daughter of Polish ruler Burizleif and Danish king Sven Forkbeard was their son Canute the Great, who recived from his Polish cousin 300 fully armoured wariors for his conquest of England.

Edited by Mosquito - 07-Jan-2010 at 15:30
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 15:27
about 1519 the writer Albert Krantz wrote in his “Wandalia“ or “Beschreibung Wendischer Geschicht“ that, relating to antique Roman writers, the Slavs were the descendance of the germanic tribe of the Vandali. But it was common all through the medieval time. The main reason was, that for those people is was hard to accept, that people disappear or arise from nothing. He also told us, that they told those "Wenden" as well "Sclauen". This name gives us e.g. Adam of Bremen in his history, when he called them with the Latin Sclavi. The german term of "Wenden" comes from the old tribe of the Veneti/Venedae  
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2010 at 21:37
When we talking about "Slavic" as a self name to group of tribes, I want to make a parallel with ancient Greeks from theme. In Classical period of Greek Antiquity there was different tribal communities like Dorian, Ionian, Aetolian, Achaean. They language were similar, but not 100 % equal. Many cities make war against each other. There was also discrepancy in way of live. Persians called them Yavana  by name of one of the group - Ionian. But among all groups exist feеling of community, and they called themselfs "Hellens". 
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 00:17
There are different names for the Greeks, danaoi, achaioi and argeioi at the times of Homer, hellenes at the classical times, graikoi is a Roman used term for Greeks, a name of an epirotic ethnos (so Aristoteles). They were also called Ionioi from Asians.

In the case of homer we don't really know if all Greeks called themselves danaoi, achaioi or argeioi, because he is speaking of an ancient time, nearly 500 years before himself.
the name hellenes for all greeks appeared for the first time in the beginning of the 6th century. The name was originally the name of an epirotic tribe. The dodonic cult of Zeus and the delphic oracle made the hellenic name famous among all greeks, so that they used it as a term for themselves. epirotes and makedonians, as well as Molosser were excluded from the hellenes-term.
As I said above, Graikoi or better graeci is the Roman term for Greeks.
It is the same with Ionioi. This term was used by persians and others because the Ionians were sitting close to them in Little asia. So it was probably never a term all greeks used for themselves.

Edited by beorna - 08-Jan-2010 at 00:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>