Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long did the Roman Empire survive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long did the Roman Empire survive?
    Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:58
Perhaps. But 'which empires were hoping to be like the Roman Empire' was not the question at hand. The question is when did the Roman Empire end. And the answer to that is not 1922.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:35
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I do not buy these artificial links between the Roman empire and later ones. The only link between the Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire is a lot of wishful thinking, same for any that came after.

The only direct continuum of the Empire was the Byzantine empire, and that ended well and good with the Ottomans. Any other claims are just desperate attempts to create continuity where there is none.

Perhaps you are right, but still, that "wishful thinking" was a crucial political agenda of the following era.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:22
I do not buy these artificial links between the Roman empire and later ones. The only link between the Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire is a lot of wishful thinking, same for any that came after.

The only direct continuum of the Empire was the Byzantine empire, and that ended well and good with the Ottomans. Any other claims are just desperate attempts to create continuity where there is none.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:08
 Technically, in true political terms- the last remnant of the Roman Empire fell with the fall of German and A-H Empires after the wwi (or in 1922 if we calculate the Ottoman empire as one of the pretenders- and in many ways we rightfully should).
Other remnents of the Roman empire were- West Roman empire, East Roman (Byzantine) empire, Bulgarian empire, Sultanate of Rum, Latin Empire in Constantinople, Empire of Trebizond, Serbian Empire, Holy Roman Empire, Russian Empire and French Empire (I think- that's about it).
So it lasted from 27 BC to 1918 (1922).

Edited by Larus - 02-May-2007 at 11:10
centurion View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote centurion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 10:50
Since the question is "how long did the Roman Empire survive?", the precise answer -for me- is: from Augustus to Constantine. Before Augustus there was the Roman Republic, and after Constantine there were the Western and Eastern Roman Empire.

But if we "enlarge" the meaning of the question, I can agree with many more possibilities, like those explained by Leonardo (and others like Pinguin).

I personally like to remember that there were successors of "Caesar" until WWI (the Kaiser, the Czar, etc..) or until the conquest of Abissinia by Mussolini in 1936 (who proclamed the "rebirth" of the Roman Empire around the "Mare nostrum", as Romans called the Mediterranean sea). It is interesting to note that Nostradamus cited -in his typical confusing way- that ...the "last of the Caesars" will try to recreate the Roman Empire when "Hister" will devastate the world....

In our times the last "concrete" reference to something similar to the Roman Empire was done by Adenauer and De Gasperi when was created the European Economic Union in the fifties with the "Treaty of Rome". They boasted at that moment that -with the future entrance of Spain and England- it was going to have the same borders of the Western Roman empire in Europe.

Anyway, many catholic historians judge that 1453 was the end of the Roman Empire, but they write that the Pope (as recognized "head of Rome" from Charlemagne) is the spiritual heir of the "rulers of Rome" and their civilization (so for them the Roman empire survives in the catholic church "empire", with a transformation like that of a kind of spiritual "butterfly" ).

Centurion

Edited by centurion - 01-May-2007 at 14:34
CIVIS ROMANUS SUM
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The truth of the matter is we cannot answer this question without first defining one term: Roman Empire.

Roman Empire may be defined as the autocratic state, highly militatarised, using the prefecturate administrative structure inherited from the republic, ruled largely by an Italian elite at its core, multiethnic and multilingual in the people it ruled.

Because of this definition, I would put the end of the Empire at the reign of Heraclius. It was not the coming to power of Heraclius which ended the Roman Empire, but rather the events which occurred during his reign which so transformed its character that we cannot truly call it Roman any longer.

During this period (610-640 AD), the Empire finally dispensed with Latin and Greek became the true language of the law and administration. It was during this period also that the Empire began to lose much of its multi-ethnic character and transformed into a Greek state. The prefecture structure of administration and organisation was finally gotten rid of - instead the distinctly Byzantine thema system replaced it. The rulers were now truly Hellenic rather than Roman in their tastes, language and world outlook - with a strong fusion of Christian ideas also.

While the Empire may have had a chance to rest and then go on to recover her former Western territories, this ideal was shattered forever by the eruption of Islam onto the world stage. No longer was the Empire the Roman hegemon, losing and reconquering territory as had been the fashion for the previous four centuries. Instead she was the Byzantine Empire, continuously engaged in a struggle with Islam for her very survival. The notion of Roman centrality and universalism died during the reign of Heraclius.

i'd go along with that
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 07:04
the ww1 i dont like
http://www.hoplites.net/
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 06:03
The truth of the matter is we cannot answer this question without first defining one term: Roman Empire.

Roman Empire may be defined as the autocratic state, highly militatarised, using the prefecturate administrative structure inherited from the republic, ruled largely by an Italian elite at its core, multiethnic and multilingual in the people it ruled.

Because of this definition, I would put the end of the Empire at the reign of Heraclius. It was not the coming to power of Heraclius which ended the Roman Empire, but rather the events which occurred during his reign which so transformed its character that we cannot truly call it Roman any longer.

During this period (610-640 AD), the Empire finally dispensed with Latin and Greek became the true language of the law and administration. It was during this period also that the Empire began to lose much of its multi-ethnic character and transformed into a Greek state. The prefecture structure of administration and organisation was finally gotten rid of - instead the distinctly Byzantine thema system replaced it. The rulers were now truly Hellenic rather than Roman in their tastes, language and world outlook - with a strong fusion of Christian ideas also.

While the Empire may have had a chance to rest and then go on to recover her former Western territories, this ideal was shattered forever by the eruption of Islam onto the world stage. No longer was the Empire the Roman hegemon, losing and reconquering territory as had been the fashion for the previous four centuries. Instead she was the Byzantine Empire, continuously engaged in a struggle with Islam for her very survival. The notion of Roman centrality and universalism died during the reign of Heraclius.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 05:21
5th Century or WW1...
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 05:12
Yeah i just hate kaiser for some reason and he popped up in my head when the caesar wannabe personialities came up.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 05:06
Originally posted by olvios

And kaiser the german . A great deal of europe  continued to  have the  holy roman empire theme  if even  partly.

The German Empire (the Second Reich I mean) lasted too little and it was never a real multinational empire as the other cited were.

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:50
And kaiser the german . A great deal of europe  continued to  have the  holy roman empire theme  if even  partly.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:32
I should have added the Spanish Empire too Smile.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:27
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

As for the Eastern Empire. I am not too well into it, but in my opinion it would be the same. The moment the last Greek/Roman Empreror was replaced by a nongreek/roman. (would that be Sulyman?)

I would say that after the fall of Constantinople there were in Europe still three entities pretending to be the heirs and somehow the continuators of the Roman Empire: the Habsburgs in Austria, who up to 1800 AD beared the title of Holy Roman Emperor, the Tzars in Russia, who from Peter the Great on called themselves "Imperator" (the Latin way) and the Ottoman Sultans, who beared, amongst others of course, also the title of Qaisar-i-Rum.

These multinational Empires lasted up to WW1, so only after WW1 there were no more heirs of Roman Empire at all. What do you think about?

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 19:02

Latin Roman empire 146 B.C. - 476A.D.

Greek Roman empire 476 A.D. - 1453 A.D.(especially after  620 A.D. )

Edited by Athanasios - 30-Apr-2007 at 19:05

NeuralDream View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote NeuralDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 12:16
I would also say 146BC - 1453AD. Just wanted to see what the majority believes.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 14:51
People need to distinguish between empire and culture. They are not one and the same, in fact they can be very mutually exclusive. Empire is physical control, culture is a way of life.

The Roman Empire ended with the deposing of the last emperor(476 and 1453, respectively). As for culture, that is a matter of debate...
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 23:12
I am taking Henri Pirenne's views and say that not just Rome, but the classical world ended when Islam conquered North Africa and the Near East which has ruptured the Roman mare nostrum
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by Leonidas

Originally posted by pinguin

In the East, become The Bizantine Empire, and then transformed into Russia.

Moscow didn't become the next Rome, even if their church may have you believe it. Russia became the next orthodox power but thats the only connection i can think of with East Rome.

When Mehmed II conquered The City, he ended the roman imperial throne in its entirety while the Roman arch-patriarchy survived.

He proclaimed his self Ceasar remember LOL

but If he took Italy and Rome would he be realy Ceaser?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 08:17
hmmm......it depends what you mean by the empire, if you mean a Roman state ruled by an emperor then it starts with the reign of Augustus in 27BC and goes too the fall of Constantinople in  1453AD or a little bit further to the collapse of the "empire" of trebizond in 1461 AD, if you go by the collapse of the empire of trebizond then that is 1488 years! if you mean the state of Rome starting with the foundation of the city, which according to legend took place in 753 BC (historians are unsure exactly when Rome was founded but date it to the same century as the myth) and ending again with either 1453AD or 1461AD with the slightly larger of the two potential time frames bieng 2214 years!!!! If you mean Roman culture then the number is far larger as others have pointed out that its still going but a culture is not an empire so the answer has been provided (in some cases approximately) by this information.

Regards, Praetor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>