Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most powerful empire in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most powerful empire in history
    Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 22:09

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I really don't see why the Romans are considered to be so powerful. Geographically, the Romans aren't even in the 15 largest Empires. Their economy flowed gold out into East and their amy was not as dominant as those of other Empires, like the Timurids.

Whether the Romans were the "Greatest" is another matter, but certainly not the most powerful.

In terms of geography I don't think a large empire is necessary powerful, I mean you could rule thousands of miles of featureless desert and it doesnt make your empire great or powerful in real terms.

Look at the Roman empire and possible directions of expansion, the north, Germany, Scotland and eastern europe above the Danube, Germany was dense woodland Scotland was sparsely populated with harsh mountainous terrain and in terms of the north east you have the seemingly endless plains of the steppes. All of which are inhabitated by hostile tribes.

Was it really worth the expense to keep expanding northwards when there wasnt really that much to gain except more war?

The south you have pretty much the Sahara desert, so the east is the only possible worthwhile direction for expansion, but Persia is there and more so when the Sassanids were in power are far from a push over. The size of the Roman empire may not be particularly amazing, but it had a population of perhaps 60/80 million, was fabulously rich and had many good natural and artificial frontiers, the Rhine, Danube, Euphrates, the Sahara desert and Hadrians wall.

All of which could provide a firm barrier to invaders or atleast impede them if they were adequately defended, when you look at it like that there was little reason to expand. 

Its funny though how Romes biggest and most sustained flurry of military success occurred during the days of the republic, during the time of the Emperors the only major gains or conquests are really Mauretania, Dacia, Britain and Trajans largely temporary eastern conquests. Even then Dacia was surrendered in the 3rd century and Britain was effectively lost for much of the last century of the western empire due to invasions or rebellions.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 00:42

well, since it is not a very serious and academy-oriented topic,  i d like to put my bet on China empire ( 2600 BC~ present).

1 the size: 

the modern china's territory mostly was laid foundation in Han dynasty, which is 2000 years up to now. Could any empire magistrate its one of the world's largest lands for 2000 years?

2 civlization length:

China's first dynasty Xia emerged in 4600~5100 years ago,  China still exists.  The modern Chinese read the same classics  their ancestors read thousands years ago, write the same characters  their ancestors write thousands years ago, speak the same language their ancestors speak thousands years ago,Could modern europeans do the same thing the Roman once did?

3 empire existence:

China feudal empire existed for 2132 years (221 BC~ 1911) if we do not count the slavery period and republic period. 

4 culture influence:

Chinese culture as i said above is extremely old and still alive this day, it is a total unique culture extinquished from those others'. The confucianism is still held esteem today and influences billions of people's behavior in East Asia. Could any culture influence last for such a long time and upon such a large population?

5 population:

The average number of standing force in China's history is around 100million, think about that. Today's PRC could mobilize 0.2 billion men in 60 days.

6 contribution:

As a world leading civilization in most time of its history, China's contributions to the world are countless and still makes contributions .  I m not stupid enough to list them since it is impossible to exhaust.

7 race:

Han race is the major but not only body of Chinese civilization. It keeps and envolves all its ancient features till today over numorous existence-challenges. That is what makes difference from those with same old age but already extinct races like ancient Egypitian , Indias and Babylonias

I didnot take much preciseness to these reasons above, I dont mean to be offensive, i just felt jaded about the overstated legends of Turks, and i want to tell them if there is one reason for any turks' based empire to be counted, there must be a thousand reasons for any Chinese dynasties.

Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:42
Either the British Colonial empire or the Roman empire take the first place.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:46
Originally posted by Celestial

But who?
I guess Ottomans?

Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:50
Originally posted by perikles

Originally posted by Celestial

But who?
I guess Ottomans?

He said either not neither.
Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 22:57
The Ottomans would be the third greatest my friend.

(Very strange to hear Ottomans from a Greek)
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 00:05
Turks would vote Ottoman; Americans would vote Americans, Greeks would vote Athenian/Spartan/Hellenic empires,...........its pointless to say which was the MOST powerful empire

I would say that the world FIRST superpower is Persian empire.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 02:52
Originally posted by BMC21113

Who are the ten most powerful empires in world history? I am looking for land mass, wealth, military, world influence, and effectiveness of government.

I've been told the British Empire was the first 'global' empire.

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 03:30
the first and only
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 04:30
Originally posted by Hellios

Originally posted by BMC21113

Who are the ten most powerful empires in world history? I am looking for land mass, wealth, military, world influence, and effectiveness of government.

I've been told the British Empire was the first 'global' empire.

I think the Spanish empire has some claim to that, not perhaps to the extent of Britain was their rule global, but they held territories I believe in every continent.
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 07:35
Don't know about the most powerful empire, but the Roman empire certainly has the most prestige, since many of the subsequent empires tried to emulate it: Holy Roman Empire, Czarist Russia, Habsburg, early modern Spain, Napoleonic France, Great Britain, USA.

Even the Ottoman Empire saw itself in the succession of the Byzantine Empire. Mehmet the Conqueror's grand plan was the "reunification" of the western und eastern parts, when he established a foothold at Otranto, Italy in 1480.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345