Print Page | Close Window

Most powerful empire in history

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7720
Printed Date: 29-May-2024 at 00:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most powerful empire in history
Posted By: BMC21113
Subject: Most powerful empire in history
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 21:25
 Who are the ten most powerful empires in world history? I am looking for land mass, wealth, military, world influence, and effectiveness of government.

Replies:
Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 21:39
To 500 BCE
1. Achaemenid Empire

500 BCE - 500 CE
2. Han Empire
3. Roman Empire

500 CE - 1500 CE
4. Mongol Empire
5. Caliphate
6. Tang Empire

1500 CE - 2000 CE
7. British Empire
8. United States
9. USSR
10. Spanish Empire

I think that's a fair distribution to all the time periods. Of course, if you're measuring total influence, modern states will dominate ancient ones.

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 07:04

It seems you cannot count... why does three follow two II.. THe admin has lost his mathematic sense will be in tomorrow newspapers.

I would replace 9 (since it is not an empire by the name) with German Empire.

-------------

Posted By: Exarchus
Date Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 08:34
I think all the European colonial empires deserve to be in the list. They were all large and powerful as hell  and overlooked the Portuguese and Spanish empires seems to be an heresy for me.

-------------
Vae victis!

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 08:45
I agree with Exarchus: the Spanish Empire of the 16th century was as powerful as the British of the 19th century or the Nordamerican one of the 20th. Portugal instead was never comparably powerful.

I also think that the Arab Caliphate and the Turkish Caliphate are two diferent states that shouldn't be mixed. Both were very important but, if I have to decide, Ottoman Empire was more powerful.

Finally, before the Achaemenid Empire existed, other empires were major ones, controlling most of the civilized world: Akkadian, Babilonian and Assyrian empires were extermely powerful and globally hegemonic for the standards of their time.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 09:27
I begin with Achaemenid, but as say Maju before there are others; my problem is that i should generaliza the centuries, for example the Caliphate, strong by 815 but weak at 890:

VI-IV BC, Achaemenids
III-II, not very clear (greeks, chinese, indians...)
II-I, Han China-Rome (two worlds, the first most strong)
I-II AC, Roman Empire-Han China (the first more powerful)
III-VI, Roman Empire-Sassanian Persia
VII-VIII, Tang China-Caliphate
IX, not very clear (franks, byzantines, arabs)
X, Byzantine Empire
XI, not very clear (Song, Byzancium, Fatimids...)
XII, not very clear
XIII, Mongol Empire
XIV, not very clear
XV, Ming China-Ottoman Empire
XVI, Ming China-Spanish Empire-Ottoman Empire
XVII, France-Qing China-Ottoman Empire
XVIII, England-France-Qing China
XIX, British Empire (i think, the most powerful and influential of history)
XX, USA-USSR-Germany
XXI, USA (-¿China?)

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 09:56
Before the Achaemenids there were no intercontinental empires really.  They were more regional.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 10:08
It seems you cannot count... why does three follow two II.. THe admin has lost his mathematic sense will be in tomorrow newspapers.

Thanks for pointing that out. Then I think the extra spot should go to the Spanish Empire.

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 08:12

Powerfull from which point of view,the militar ,the cultural,the economical one?

I think in 500 CE-1500 CE it's the Byzantine Empire from all the 3 aspects,with the military one loosing ground after 1.000 CE.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 09:16

Us is not an empire

Ottomans power was more that both mongols and Tang together

Acheamanids main power is after 500 b.c.

Romans main power is after 300 b.c.

5-7 cent. Centuries Gokturks were pretty good (in mongol type)

the word "empire" was appeared first in Romans

I think, if we ganne make them meet, USSR would win

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 09:22

in Imperator invictus' list i don't see the Ottoman Empire (which was one of the most long lasting empires through history aprox. 1300-1900):

In my opinion, it deserves a place in the list of the top 10.

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 09:45
Originally posted by Kafkazli

Wow, I never cease to be amazed at the nationalism of the Turks. Certainly, the Ottoman Empire was a large and powerful empire. But from there to go and say that it was more powerful than the Mongol and the Tang empires put together, that's a huge stretch of imagination. Of course, for one thing you're comparing apples and oranges, as the Ottoman empire came later and had firearms. But in terms of relative power and influence, Tang China in the 8th century was comparable with the Ottomans in the 16th century, and the Mongols in the 13th-early 14th century far superior. You really should study more history, my nationalist friend.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: Richard XIII
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 10:00
For very short time but very large in dimensions (from Europe to India) and influences (from Europe to China) for his time the empire of Alexander the Great.

-------------
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 10:22

Us is not an empire

Acheamanids main power is after 500 b.c.

Romans main power is after 300 b.c.

5-7 cent. Centuries Gokturks were pretty good (in mongol type)

the word "empire" was appeared first in Romans

I think, if we ganne make them meet, USSR would win

300 AD for the romans not BC.

also the Umayyads and the early years of the Abbasides were the strongest in the world at their time.

-------------

Posted By: Exarchus
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 10:35
The Ottoman Empire, despite being quite powerful, shouldn't be in a list of the most powerful empires.

Just pick a map, look at what were the Russian Empire, the British one, the French (colonial one), Spanish one, Roman one, or the Tang and Persian ones.

The Ottoman should be in the list of the powerful ones but not the most powerful ones.

-------------
Vae victis!

Posted By: Alkiviades
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 10:56

Is there even a point to this argument?

Posted By: cg rommel
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by Decebal

Wow, I never cease to be amazed at the nationalism of the Turks. Certainly, the Ottoman Empire was a large and powerful empire. But from there to go and say that it was more powerful than the Mongol and the Tang empires put together, that's a huge stretch of imagination. Of course, for one thing you're comparing apples and oranges, as the Ottoman empire came later and had firearms. But in terms of relative power and influence, Tang China in the 8th century was comparable with the Ottomans in the 16th century, and the Mongols in the 13th-early 14th century far superior. You really should study more history, my nationalist friend.

i tottally agree... i mean they think they were the heroes at kosovo and they saved us by conquering us.... WOW.....

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 11:17

Well Exarchus,

The Russian Empire is quite impressive by its size but most of the territory is just non-inhabited land (on the map where there are no cities) - which makes it easier to conquer.

I mean, taking Constantinople is quite the achievement, followed by Damascus, Jerusalem, Cairo, Mecca, Athens and Belgrade... That is not comparable - I think - to Bukhoro, Warsaw and Vladivostok... i am trying to compare the strenght of the opposition(s) during there time they were conquered.

The Spanish did not have to much trouble conquering Central and Latin America (diseases from Europe doing a great job for them).

If i m not mistaking, BMC21113 also mentionned effectiveness of government - which makes Spain the counter example : repatriating all the gold from LA and keeping its feodal system - not enhancing their production means and buying from its neighbour countries (repumping the gold into the European economy ). One of my french Economic History teachers told us it was one of the most counter-productive enterprises in history.

Spanish and Portugese (Brasil, Angloa, Mozamique...) empires - in my opinion - do not deserve a place in the most powerfull empires throughout history.

I agree with the colonial empires (English and French), Rome - of course -, Persian and Tang... but not Russian and Spanish.  

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 14:27
Just for the record,Athens wasn't a so difficult target to capture in 1400's.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 15:24
I think that the most powerful and influential empire of the history is the British empire.

There are two main revolutions in the human evolution: the neolithic revolution, and the industrial revolution. All the empires previous to 1800 are empires based in agriculture, but, the british empire is the first industrial empire; this new culture was diffused by the english to all the world. After the british empire, all the empires are variants of this empire.

And, was the most vasted empire. And all the world, and this is the first time that we can say this, all countries, need must dealed with the british.

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 16:27

Originally posted by Zagros

Before the Achaemenids there were no intercontinental empires really.  They were more regional.

Assyrians, for instance, dominated lands of two continents. They weren't as large as Persian empire but they are comparable, in the sense they were as powerful or more as any other empire before. One can't ignore the great empires that preceded that of the Achaemenids, nor their influence.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 16:50
Originally posted by sedamoun

I mean, taking Constantinople is quite the achievement, followed by Damascus, Jerusalem, Cairo, Mecca, Athens and Belgrade... That is not comparable - I think - to Bukhoro, Warsaw and Vladivostok... i am trying to compare the strenght of the opposition(s) during there time they were conquered.

The Turks taking Constantinople in 1453 is quite less of an achievement, compared to the Crusaders taking it in the 4th Crusade in 1204. By 1453, the Byzantine Empire was much weaker than in 1204. Vladivostok was never conquered by the Russians but rather founded by them.

If you want to talk about achievements, how about the fact that the Russians consistently defeated the Ottomans once they came into contact?

But this discussion is not about achievements, really, it's about power. And here's where I agree with Ikki: it was the British who were the most powerful in history, in their heyday: later half of the 19th century up until the first World War.

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 16:56

Spanish and Portugese (Brasil, Angloa, Mozamique...) empires - in my opinion - do not deserve a place in the most powerfull empires throughout history.

I agree with the colonial empires (English and French), Rome - of course -, Persian and Tang... but not Russian and Spanish.  

I don't see why: the British didn't have big trouble conquering their empire either (Spanish and French errors mad most of their job) and India, the pearl of British Empire was conquered almost without effort, in an enterprise of graft and with no serious rival.

By influence, the Spanish empire, is one of the most influential in history:

• "discovered" America
  • fought or hegemony in Europe and the Mediterranean for at least a full century, competing with great powers such as Ottoman Empire, France and Britain
  • extended Spanish language, Christian religion and European culture to most of America

Only Rome, China (in general) the Caliphate and the British Empire (including its Nordamerican offshot) can compare to this inmense influence.

Portugal was also influential, specially by opening the High Seas to Europe, though, due to the smallness of the homeland and lack of hegeonic ambitions can't be placed among 1st rank empires. But it can well compare with some others very respectable "seconds", like Netherlands, France, and many others.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 17:53
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Zagros

Assyrians, for instance, dominated lands of two continents. They weren't as large as Persian empire but they are comparable, in the sense they were as powerful or more as any other empire before. One can't ignore the great empires that preceded that of the Achaemenids, nor their influence.

I think Egypt counts as more regional.  There were no world powers before Achaemenid with worldwide hegemony seen from the borders of China to Thracia and Libya, from Bactria/Soghdiana to Yemen.

That is not to say they weren't influential or important but only regionally.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 18:27
[/QUOTE]

I don't see why: the British didn't have big trouble conquering their empire either (Spanish and French errors mad most of their job) and India, the pearl of British Empire was conquered almost without effort, in an enterprise of graft and with no serious rival.

• "discovered" America
  • fought or hegemony in Europe and the Mediterranean for at least a full century, competing with great powers such as Ottoman Empire, France and Britain
  • extended Spanish language, Christian religion and European culture to most of America

Only Rome, China (in general) the Caliphate and the British Empire (including its Nordamerican offshot) can compare to this inmense influence.

Portugal was also influential, specially by opening the High Seas to Europe, though, due to the smallness of the homeland and lack of hegeonic ambitions can't be placed among 1st rank empires. But it can well compare with some others very respectable "seconds", like Netherlands, France, and many others.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Portugal. For the size of the country - great achievement. However, for Spain, Columbus did in fact "discover" as you said America (by mistake).

The railroads in India, that still are used today, were build by the British. That is impressive. What did Spain do to LA except build churches and cathedrals? (this is not a retorical question my friend Maju, i am asking you). I am not saying that spreading a religion is a bad thing (at the time) but it is not what i understand to be "good governance".

"Dutch, English and French sponsored piracy and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caper" title="Caper - capers , overextension of its territories, corruption, the inability to establish a productive economy in the Peninsula, and constant warring with its enemies, often simultaneously for long periods, and often religiously based, contributed to the slow decline of Spanish power."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_empire

The hardest part of conquering a place/land/region is not the conquest itself but the management of it. Mehmet II did a good job when he conquered the city that we now call Istanbul (respecting the orthodox religion) in order to keep it from revolting/rioting...

"His reign, mostly known for his capture of Constantinople, is also well known for the unusual tolerance with which he treated his subjects, especially among the conquered Byzantines. Within the vanquished city he established a millet or an autonomous religious community, and he appointed the former Patriarch as essentially governor of the city. However, his authority extended only unto the Orthodox Christians of the city, and this excluded the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa" title="Genoa - Genoese and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice" title="Venice - Venetian settlements in the suburbs, and excluded the coming Muslim and Jewish settlers entirely."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_II

Cheers guys.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 18:34

ok, why every time if a turkish guy will say something u ganna forget everything and just discuss his oppinions???

I can answer why i thought that Ottomans were stronger than tang and mongol together, but first i will sorry for Arab friend and for those that brought Russian tsar empire becouse they were really one of the greatest empires of the world, without doubt (though Russian empires population was not tooooo big)

Mongol armies against Ottoman-Off cource Mongol would win (the same arms or early ottoman) but look, how long did Mongols live???? Why I cant say that Ottoman government was stronger even 10 times which could hold its empire more than 600 years in his hands???

Why I could not say That Tang is not stronger that Ottoman-While during Tang empire Gokturks 4 times atacked and captured Beijing, but not any foreign army couldnt get even 100 km close to Istanbul never ever untill 19th century????

That is the reason: Not any mediaval age army could stand against Ottomans, i am not nationalist or racist, but i base on facts, In fact I like and accept Roman empire and even may be Acheamanids and Parthians stronger than Ottomans in its time

And also, Kosove was not an accident, my friend, there is 2nd Kosovo too

All those colonist empires did not have battles or loses in those battles together as Ottomans did in surrounding Viana

They could be empires during the time when Ottoman were weeker, and I accept English empire as one of the big and strongest. Only taking 1/4 part of the worlds land area gives me chance to say that

Just i wanna u to accept Ottomans also as a normal, one of the strongest ones

I wander what would u say if Ottomans were not turkish basicly (In fact, they were not )

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 18:44
due?

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 19:01

what did crusades did with constantinole and what did turks did???

Fatih Mehmet lost close to 60 000 men, taking it, Rome Pope was defending it with 20 000 knights

Mehmet even did not enter Aya Sofia with his Horse becouse it would be unrespectfullness

I am not saying that Ottomans were the bes, what I am saying, They also had right to share the world with Englishmen, while those were fighting with Indian archers, and Babur infantry with huge numbers of cannons and muskets, Ottomans fought against French, Italian, German, Englishmen, Austria, Russia, Spain even with weaker weapons

Posted By: Anujkhamar
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 19:14

what did crusades did with constantinole and what did turks did???

Fatih Mehmet lost close to 60 000 men, taking it, Rome Pope was defending it with 20 000 knights

Mehmet even did not enter Aya Sofia with his Horse becouse it would be unrespectfullness

I am not saying that Ottomans were the bes, what I am saying, They also had right to share the world with Englishmen, while those were fighting with Indian archers, and Babur infantry with huge numbers of cannons and muskets, Ottomans fought against French, Italian, German, Englishmen, Austria, Russia, Spain even with weaker weapons

Quite a few Indian armies had gunpowder before the British arived.

@Maju,
Yeh they did take the sub-continent quite easily. It was even better how they got Indian troops to do parts of their fighting too. If that aspect of the empire didn't fill me with disgust then i would applaud their genious.

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 19:16
yeah, what u call that, Siphai's?

Posted By: Anujkhamar
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 19:16
Sepoys. But before them im sure the Mahrathas and Moghuls were using gunpowder.

Number 1 has to be the British Empire by far. Invading India and waging an economic war on China has to be commended.

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 19:21
It is quite true, the Indians were not a primitive bunch of village dwellers who threw spears and then hid behind wicker shields. The British had to fight Indian armies equipped with crack cavalry regiments, musket troops and artillery squads. The conquest of India is an example of British military and diplomatic finess at some of its best.

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 21:12
 Some people would have you think the British fought nothing but lunatic barbarians who belonged in the stone age, thus making it less impressive that the British conquered so much. Not only is that nonsense in many cases its also an inaccurate and insulting picture of many enemies the British had to fight who were often far from pushovers.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 04:54
Originally posted by Heraclius

Some people would have you think the British fought nothing but lunatic barbarians who belonged in the stone age, thus making it less impressive that the British conquered so much. Not only is that nonsense in many cases its also an inaccurate and insulting picture of many enemies the British had to fight who were often far from pushovers.

The first, the own europeans, specially France.

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 06:00

• "discovered" America

I agree with Portugal. For the size of the country - great achievement. However, for Spain, Columbus did in fact "discover" as you said America (by mistake).

The railroads in India, that still are used today, were build by the British. That is impressive. What did Spain do to LA except build churches and cathedrals? (this is not a retorical question my friend Maju, i am asking you). I am not saying that spreading a religion is a bad thing (at the time) but it is not what i understand to be "good governance".

"Dutch, English and French sponsored piracy and capers, overextension of its territories, corruption, the inability to establish a productive economy in the Peninsula, and constant warring with its enemies, often simultaneously for long periods, and often religiously based, contributed to the slow decline of Spanish power."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_empire

The hardest part of conquering a place/land/region is not the conquest itself but the management of it. Mehmet II did a good job when he conquered the city that we now call Istanbul (respecting the orthodox religion) in order to keep it from revolting/rioting...

"His reign, mostly known for his capture of Constantinople, is also well known for the unusual tolerance with which he treated his subjects, especially among the conquered Byzantines. Within the vanquished city he established a millet or an autonomous religious community, and he appointed the former Patriarch as essentially governor of the city. However, his authority extended only unto the Orthodox Christians of the city, and this excluded the
Genoese and Venetian settlements in the suburbs, and excluded the coming Muslim and Jewish settlers entirely."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_II

Cheers guys.

I don't say they did any good thing, all that I say is that they were very influential. Maybe Colombus found America "by accident" but he was equipped to explore it, and so were other explorers/conquerors after him. Obviously you can't expect anyone to look for America when its very existence wasn't know, would you?

About governance, I don't find the British empire any model of governance: they just went there (wherever) to make bussiness, without any further ambition or project. That's not any "imperial" attitude but rather a "Venetian" mercantilist thing.

The Spanish had the idea to stay and to assimilate the new lands and their natives in their "nation", much as Romans did. That's an imperial attitude. Instead the British had more a bussinessmen attitude... Spanish were definitively worst at making bussiness... and they couldn't build railroads when they didn't even had them at home (LOL!). But the cities, provincial administration, economical system stabilished by Spain in America was the bases for the independent nations of today. They also built roads and harbours and stabilished routes that are even today important. They were the first to circunnavigate the world, stabilishing the first trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific routes... concepts over which British would build their own empire some time later. If nothing else, Iberians in general were at least pioneering both in exploration and colonization. Without their model, it's doubtful that British and Dutch could ever have build any empire at all.

The British instead never tried to Europeized their colonies, except those that they settled in person. They treated conquered countries as foreign dependencies useful only for making bussiness. They even promoted feudalism in some places (India, Uganda), just because it was useful for their economic and political interests.

While the British influence is obvious, the Spanish influence isn't less obvious. The fact that Spanish is still the third most important language of the World by number of speakers, 4 centuries after the apogee of their empire, makes it very clear. Few countries have had such influence globally in such a short time. Basically Modern history can be divided in two periods: Spanish (16th century) and English (19th century, continued with a USA dominated 20th century), with two transition centuries in which France and other powers played some non-comparable role.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 06:51
I think it is unfair and inaccurate to say that Ottomans were not the most powerful empire at their height.  Same witthe the Spanish Empire and I think to a greater degree, just take a look at the Americas  if you don't think so.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 11:08

ok, why every time if a turkish guy will say something u ganna forget everything and just discuss his oppinions???

Because many turks have a nationalist vision of history that is very different from the rest of the world.

I can answer why i thought that Ottomans were stronger than tang and mongol together, but first i will sorry for Arab friend and for those that brought Russian tsar empire becouse they were really one of the greatest empires of the world, without doubt (though Russian empires population was not tooooo big)

Mongol armies against Ottoman-Off cource Mongol would win (the same arms or early ottoman) but look, how long did Mongols live???? Why I cant say that Ottoman government was stronger even 10 times which could hold its empire more than 600 years in his hands???

The Mongols held most of their possesions for hundreds of years too. It is not so much a case of external powers conquering the Mongols, but rather of the Mongol state splitting into successor states, due to its massive size. Some successor states, such as the khanate of Crimea, or Astrakhan, survived for 500 years after the inital conquests.

The figure of 600 years is often thrown around for the Ottomans, but we should remember that for the first 70 years or so, the Otooman state was just another petty Anatolian state. Also, during the 19th century, the Ottoman empire was very weak ('the sick man of Europe") but kept alive by the rivalry of the Great Powers, which prevented the Russians from their plans of conquest. Just look at the Crimean war: what would have happened had the English and French not allied themselves with the Ottomans?

Why I could not say That Tang is not stronger that Ottoman-While during Tang empire Gokturks 4 times atacked and captured Beijing, but not any foreign army couldnt get even 100 km close to Istanbul never ever untill 19th century????

Beijing was a marginal city during Tang times. The capitals were at Chang'An and Luoyang, 1500 km to the south of Beijing.

That is the reason: Not any mediaval age army could stand against Ottomans, i am not nationalist or racist, but i base on facts, In fact I like and accept Roman empire and even may be Acheamanids and Parthians stronger than Ottomans in its time

What about the army of Tamerlane who anihilated the Ottomans at Ankara in 1402? The failed siege of Vienna in 1526? The lost battle of Lepanto in 1571? What about the dozens of losses to Moldavia during the reign of Stephen the Great (1457-1504)? Or the loss to the Wallachian prince Micrea cel Batran at Rovine in 1398? Or the defeat at Belgrade at the hands of Janos Hunyadi? And what about the fluctuating border with Persia? If no medieval army could stand against the Ottomans, then surely they should have conquered Persia in all those wars.

And in more recent times, the losses to the Habsburgs, especially after 1683. And the losses to the Russians...

I suppose that the Turkish tend to gloss over those.

And also, Kosove was not an accident, my friend, there is 2nd Kosovo too

All those colonist empires did not have battles or loses in those battles together as Ottomans did in surrounding Viana

They could be empires during the time when Ottoman were weeker, and I accept English empire as one of the big and strongest. Only taking 1/4 part of the worlds land area gives me chance to say that

The Empire of Charles V of Spain and the Habsburgs was just as powerful as the Ottomans at their height in the 16th century (with its empire in the Americas and almost half of Europe). The Ming were more powerful than the Ottomans in the 15th century.

As for the colonial empires, they had some very difficult battles to fight. Just look at the British and the Sikh wars, for example.

Just i wanna u to accept Ottomans also as a normal, one of the strongest ones

I wander what would u say if Ottomans were not turkish basicly (In fact, they were not )

I accept the Ottomans as having one of the strongest empires in the world between the 15th and the 19th centuries, but not the strongest. And certainly not more powerful than the Tang and the Mongols put together.

So how were the Ottomans not turkish?

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Posted By: Hector Victorious
Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 12:17

I think This arguement is a little pointless, there are so many aspects that make an empire and empire you simply cannot say "this one is the best" You are dealing with, Economics, MIlitary might, Influnence, Territory, Population, among others. IF you look back through history you see many great empires no doubt, but to judge an empire like the romans, agianst an Empire like United Kingdom is totally crazy. The romans conquered lands that were really not to well inahbited and wildly unorganized(except carthage). their is no question that Rome had a glourious empire, but then you try and compare it to The britsih empire? so many different varibles. England has fought eniems orangized and Some just barbarians, But when few empires reamin in this world their is till one still stadning and has constanly apadted to the changing times: Untied Kingdom.

In my opinion England has the most glourious empire. They have Stood the test of time and most certinly apadted to the changes. USSR as great as an empire they were, fell due to the changes. In a ever increasing capitalist world, we yell FREEDOM! CHOICES! EQUALITY! and England has most certinly given this to their people, while never the less continuing their empire. Great Britian MAy not have been the Most militerized, and they may not have been the most economical, but they know how to govern a people..and keep them, for that matter(with some exceptions of course

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 12:27
I also think the British stands out as the most influential. Militarily, they never dominated Europe for an appreciable amount of time, but there were other lands in the world besides Europe.

About the Ottomans, the issue is that they existed at a time when there were many great empires. When the Achaemenids ruled, they were the only Empire. Similarly, when the Caliphate existed, they were the most significant in all of Western Eurasia. The only empire that could match the Caliphate was the Tang, far away in the East.

At the time of the Ottoman Empire, there were many other empires of the time, including the Timurid, Safavid, Mughal, Ming, and the European powers. Militarily, the Timurid Empire bested the Ottomans.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 12:45
Nah. British Empire can compare with Athenian or maybe Carthaginian Empire but one or two centuries of relative glory can't compare with the 5 centuries of total hegemony, not just over the semi-barbaric west but also over the civilized Mediterranean, in brief: over virtually all the then known world, of Rome. The British was a powerful hegemony, a colonial empire but not a total empire as that of Rome. Not even the USA can compare... only China and Achaemenid Persia maybe.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 13:10
Sorry but I don't fully understand what you're trying to say.

The British had a greater percentage of the known world than did the Roman Empire. The British had global Influence, while the Romans did not. The Romans were only limited to the Medieterranean.

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 13:22
Roman Empire dissapeared 15 centuries ago but Rome is still influencing world. And it is global influence...

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 13:31
The Roman Empire is influential mainly because Europe became influential. Back in Rome's days, it did not have as great an influence as some may think. Rome was very much an empire limited to one side of the world.

What about the ferocious Xiong nu riders of the steppes? Did Rome have influence over them? What about the Parthian Empire, which Rome could never fully conquer? What about the kingdom of Ghana, whose wealth was immense? What about the trade state of Auxum? What about the great Kushan Empire which bridged the East and the West? What influence did Rome have over them? What about the mighty Han Dynasty, whos empire was at least as great as the Romans?

In fact, Compared to the Han Empire, the Roman empire had much less economic power. Rome imported a ton of diadems and silk from the east, but did not produce a very large amount of exports. Over the years, gold kept flowing out of the Roman Empire, which caused economic problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 13:47

You have to also give historical context to these empires, you can;t just say the UK empire was better than the Roman Empire because it controlled more territory. Let's put it into perspective, there were no steam engines 2000 years ago.  How long did it take to get from one end of the British Empire to the other in the 1800s and how long did it take to get from one end to the other of the Roman Empire 100 CE?

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 14:12
One can speak about Roman art, other about roman poetry or architecture or even roman historiography but.... before everything else - Roman Law and Roman politics. Even China or Japan are republics, even there are companies and corporations. Since Romans developed their civil law noone else was able to invent somthing better to replace it.

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 18:48

To lose battles it does not means that Ottomas were weak than others, do u wanna me to give the names of battles that Ottomans fougfgt????

U will have not enough time to read, friend

All empires lost battles, even Rome, but that doesnot guarante that they're weak!

Hanos Hunyandi lost 2 battles against Murad and at least, after dying in Kosovo 2nd, his soldier came under the name of Peace and killed Murad with knife -did u meant that battle????

In 1402 Timur gave all its power to defeat Ottomans in Ankara, He had 40 elephants, 60 000 chavalry and 100 000 infantry while Bayazid had 70 000 chavalry only

He left ove 200 000 men in surrounding Constantinople and building Anadolusihar Kale (or castle)

Ming empire had not had enemies as strong as even 1% of Ottomans

Do u think Ottomans were not able to defeat Manchurian?

I am saying again, I am not nationalist, i love my country, nation, i am patriot, but i have not any hate to others and i dont care about other turks nationalism, In fact, i like Rome better even Ottomans, i am in college on a Etruscan influanse project for semester while I had a chance to take Ottoman influance on Balkans and Europe, but i did not

That is true that when Englishmen atacked to India, Babur empire could stand against it close to with 500 cannons, 3-4 000 gunpowder men, and strong cavalry, but later, englishmen took peninsula not really with military war, but with polotical and economical war, so calm down

Ottomans couldnt sack Viena in 2 reasons:

1) Polish hussars were atacking ottoman camps day and night without stopping and sacked many camps individually

2) Saffavid rulers made Sultan Suleyman the Magnicefent to return from Viena front and he did and he took Tabriz, and later he atacked 4 times to Saffavid empire, but did not destroyed many things, just becouse population was turkish

I have not anything wrong with nationalism, I am just trying to protect "Ottomans" from your "atacks", that is it, i hope turkish guys from anatolia would continue this discussion better than me, cose i am not so good in ottoman history as u think, i just know timeleine a little bit and military system a lot, nothing else

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 18:50

sorry, i was in hurry, so some words i could not type right

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 10:30
ok.... if you say so.... but do you think that it would be better if turks conquered vienna? i say NO!

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 11:06

well YES!

Posted By: amir khan
Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 21:14

To suggest, as some have, that indian kingdoms were populated by loin-clothed natives fighting with primitive methods against the British is ridiculous, bordering on  stupid.

Moghul India had just been and  gone, in its time arguably amongst the richest and most powerful land empires in the world.

Contemporary armaments and tactics were being used by the Indians in then time of  British entry to India.

Ranjit Singh of the Punjab Kingdom Reformed the Punjab Khalsa army along the most modern European lines, with ample artillary, cavallary, etc.  employing European generals to do so. Among them were the French General Ventura, (who faught at Waterloo), and General Allard, among others.

The Punjab Khalsa army at the time of the Anglo-Sikh wars was 90,000 strong and arguably among the most powerful in asia( though weakened due to british diplomatic efforts in the command structure). And that was just one kingdom among maybe thirty. Three or four combined Rajput kingdoms probably would have been unconqerable.

The fact that the British Prevailed, is an indicator of their genius in diplomacy (divide and conquer) and strategy , not an indicator of their opponents weakness.

This is true for Trafalger and waterloo, Chillianwalla and gujerat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chillianwala - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chillianwala

In an ever progressive world, the last great empire( the British) was also the greatest.

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 21:40
Why are we Refering to the United States of America as a empire?

Posted By: amir khan
Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 21:51

Originally posted by Hector Victorious

Why are we Refering to the United States of America as a empire?

??Hector,  can you use quotes please,

its not so clear what u are refering to.

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 22:01

O I am SOrry, It has been referred to multiple times let me choose one......

[QOUTE]1500 CE - 2000 CE
7. British Empire
8. United States
9. USSR
10. Spanish Empire[/QUOTE]

Posted By: Vamun Tianshu
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 00:15
Lets see,the US bought Louisiana from Napoleon,but thats not militarily,then you see the US Army fighting the Native Americans of the Great Plains and taking over their territories,and you have the Mexican-American War in which the US took most of Mexico's lands reducing it to what it is today,and then you have the Spanish American War.Does that answer your question?The US was indeed an Empire and has retained most of its land in the last 150 years or so.

-------------

In Honor

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 00:19

I see where you are coming from but i just can't picture Ths USA as an empire.....

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 00:24
Well it was an Empire in the Mid-1800s to the late 1800s,not anymore though I can see.Of course the generalization of the term Empire comes to mind when a large political unit governs foreign lands,but you can see that in the Mexican territories,and the Native American territories that in fact,the US was pushing its law to the Spanish,Mexicans,and Native Americans,even the Phillipinos for awhile.Hawaii can also be suspect,but it is a state now.So yes,I can see the US as an Empire,but only for a few decades.

-------------

In Honor

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 00:29
Well we didn't lose the land so I assume we are still and empire.

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 00:31
Yeah,but every nation in this world has their land because of conquering,so we can safely assume every nation in the world as an empire right?

-------------

In Honor

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 00:37
Ah Now i see your point!

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 03:09
Not actually every nation has their lands bacause of conquering: most of the nationsh ave their lands because of defending or else they wouldn't be there.

-------------

Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 03:38

Hanos Hunyandi lost 2 battles against Murad and at least, after dying in Kosovo 2nd, his soldier came under the name of Peace and killed Murad with knife -did u meant that battle????

It was not Hunyadi. (He died after his victory in Belgrade in 1456) I think you commuted him with the Serbian prince Lazar.

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 05:17

Originally posted by rider

Not actually every nation has their lands bacause of conquering: most of the nationsh ave their lands because of defending or else they wouldn't be there.

Yeah,should've said "Some of the nations in this world".However you forget,the conquering of small villages,local empires and such.I can safely say that most of these nations began as cities,and gradually,through some cooperation and some conquering,got together.

-------------

In Honor

Posted By: finikis
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 20:54
İ think most powerful empires must be on largest amounts of civilisation centers.Anatolia is the main tool to be a great empire bcs of istanbul , this city had great influences on art,economy,religion,architecture,army strategies,sea trade police office,and symbolic value(maybe this is nothing but sometimes the thing nothing can be the everything) on world history.it was the second troy.it is on the centre of all civilizations.if i look to empires controlled istanbul they are the most powerfules as roman,byzantine and ottoman empires maybe in next century turkey.Also hittite empire was an anatolian empire and its importance is still not well known.Anatolia is the most diffucult region to control,so these empires could live long times.in second degree i can give the examples  jarussalem,rome and wian

Sorry for my english

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 08:53
Originally posted by Raider

It was not Hunyadi. (He died after his victory in Belgrade in 1456) I think you commuted him with the Serbian prince Lazar.

yes, Lazar, and he lost only that one battle...... where he died, if our reinforcements werent late we woulda won...... we were winning, but turk reinforcements came long before ours.....

Posted By: Iranian41ife
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 13:06
i dont think a person can name just one but here are my choices (not in any order): the persian empires, roman empire, china, ottoman empire.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 16:43

I believe that the roman empire is the most powerful empire seen on earth, partly because they, not only, created the cities and foundations from which other empires were created(London, Cologne, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Istanbul, and many more) from those empires were created modern powerhouses, but the effect of bringing in the modern world beginning in the renaissance (without which there would have been no industrial revolution).    Afterwards i would agree with the persian empires then UK and possibly USA.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 16:46
not in order

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 16:55
Well, I bet you that Madrid wasn't founded by Romans. It was a small town unheard of before Philip II made of it his new capital.

On the other cities, Bizantium wasn't founded by the Romans: it was actually a Greek foundation. The Romans (Constantine) made them their capital though.

Rome was indeed founded by Romans but before the Etruscans came around to rule them and teach them engineerings, it wasn't but three villages over three hills with a swamp in the middle.

London and Paris were already Celtic towns before the arrival of Romans and, while Londo may have gained some relevance under Roman rule, Paris (Lutetia) was always a provincial town and was only made relevant by the Franks.

Romans were indeed important, specially in regard to Western Europe, but the world surely could have done without them.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 13:44
I believe the Roman Empire ist the greatest empire of all history.
The ottoman empire does deserve a place in the top ten because it's not the size of what you have conquerd but what you have  conquerd. The ottoman empire strechtout from asia africa & europe.
It's not that easy to manage an Empire with somany differt people( for more than 600 years). Witch got differt religion & culture.
It's not so hard to conquer Siberia almost NOBODY LIVES THERE.(russian Empire)

It's not the conquest itself but how you rule your empire.
The real strenght of the roman empire was and still is. There influence in Culture as langue In every thing.

All things must end. No empire will last for ever, but it marks can.

-------------

Posted By: cebeci
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 16:42

maybe late reply

i am new from turkey as you might guess

here are the results of turkish vote

1.roman empire

2.ottoman empire

3.british empire

4.USA * though not an empire

5.third reich

6.mongol empire

7.macedonia of alexander the great

8.spanish colonial empire

9.france of NB

10.brezilian football empire

-------------
history is just a repetation of itself

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 16:52

there is no doubt that roman empire is the empire of all empires!!

all successor empires were created upon its roots and base to create such an organized military, economics, governmental network.

the romans, i donno what drove them so successful, were amazingly talented in ruling people, from most part of known world. as you all know it's called PAX ROMANA. Their political, social, religious, military, governmental and historic influences are still there if you really know how to look.

-------------

Posted By: Hannibal Barca
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 19:15

and the Romans based the structure of their Empire off of the Persians. The Persians were even more influential than Rome considering Rome based their whole foundation on these Persian ideas and teachings. Not to mention that Darius I was the greatest ruler in history. Cyrus created the Empire and Darius made it.

-------------
"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 20:19
Don't get carried away too much by the modern empires. The British Empire was nothing without the subcontinent.
"The loss of India would reduce Britian to the fate of a minor power" - Churchill
In the book the Great Game, it said the English considered Russia's achiellies heel to be the baltic and was ready to send a fleet there in the event of war. The Russians considered Britians achiellies heel to be India and was prepared to march an army across afghanistan to capture it.
But the British Empire was still pretty amazing.
And the British didn't take the subcontinent easily. The Afghans very nearly formed the next dynasty and not the British. Also Mysore inflicted several crushing defeats upon British forces. I don't know when gunpowder first came to the subcontinent but I do know that Babur used muskets and canon in 1519 when he attacked the Yusufzai's

I'd say based upon the effect they've had on future world politics the top ten would be
Arab Caliphates (including Al Andaluce)
Ottoman Empire
Roman Empire
Han China
British Empire
Mongol Empires (including Timurid)
Spanish Empire
Alexanders Empire & Successor Kingdoms
Ming China
and another but I don't know enough to pick it, maybe Mali? They sent 2 fleets of 200 ships a piece to the west indies in 1450. But I don't know anything else about ehm
not in any order

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 13:54
Originally posted by Hannibal Barca

and the Romans based the structure of their Empire off of the Persians. The Persians were even more influential than Rome considering Rome based their whole foundation on these Persian ideas and teachings.

Which books are you reading?

Posted By: o_irengun
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 21:37

1- Economic capitalist emperium of  big companies.Their reigning over countries  without  soldiers .We all obey  them  without  any  questions.Big firms  of  the  21. century they  are  the strongest emperium the  world.

2-The holy  catholic Church-Vatican.They have  assets all over  the world without limits  their  reigning  the  faith of millions  of people.Since more  then  1000  years.they  have  lost  their  power  with  years but  their  still  very very strong.

3-Switzerland.They have  not been  defeated  for  years

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 07:06
Originally posted by Hannibal Barca

and the Romans based the structure of their Empire off of the Persians. The Persians were even more influential than Rome considering Rome based their whole foundation on these Persian ideas and teachings. Not to mention that Darius I was the greatest ruler in history. Cyrus created the Empire and Darius made it.

The Roman Empire developed much differently from Persia. The former Empire was a result of centuries of piecemeal war and diplomacy in the Mediterranean coupled with steady but prudent policy. Persia was a newly arrived people filling a power gap under the auspices of brilliant Kings and many vassal states. Rome took in more of the Greek ethos of the polis, Persia took in the provincial organisation and military levies which were popular in such Near Eastern states as Assyria. Certainly there were the occasional similarities, but these were two very distinct empires and cultures.

-------------

Posted By: St. Francis of Assisi
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 14:28
1. Roman Empire
2. British Empire
3. Napoleonic France/France under Louis XIV
4. USSR
5. Second and Third Reich
6. Caliphate
7. Spanish Empire under Phillp II
8. Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan
9. Assyrian Empire
10. Ottoman Empire

-------------
Cheers, and Good Mental Health,
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 14:36

i totally agree that roman empire and eastern empires (except for the ottomans-if you call them an eastern power) find their roots in two very distinct and seperate civilizations- namely the european civilization which originates from or dates back to ancient greece, which descenced from egyptian civilization (a paradox); and the eastern civilization which was formed by chinese, persian, indian, arabic, and turkic along with mongolian influences.

here ottomans form the great dilemma so as their reign is a continium of roman empire after the conquer of constinopolis (we'd rather call it ISTANBUL) as well as a governmental design which was byzantian indeed whereas a muslim and oriental population for the most of the part of the empire/ i think the real strength of the ottomans originates from their geographical location, that is so close to the west you are stronger you are

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 19:07
I really don't see why the Romans are considered to be so powerful. Geographically, the Romans aren't even in the 15 largest Empires. Their economy flowed gold out into East and their amy was not as dominant as those of other Empires, like the Timurids.

Whether the Romans were the "Greatest" is another matter, but certainly not the most powerful.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 20:48
Geographically, the Romans aren't even in the 15 largest Empires

The first or the second, with around 5 millions of km2 for five centuries, very very few empires were more greats with that age.

Their economy flowed gold out into East

To the east went manufactured products too, although the export-import concept is not the best way to get the first economy of the world: today, the greatest economy, USA, import and send to the world many money, but they are the first. Rome and Han China was the first economies of their world, Rome from the Indus to Atlantic Ocean.

their amy was not as dominant as those of other Empires, like the Timurids.

The roman army was the best of the mediterranean world for II and I century BC, one of the best of the world; for I and II centuries AC, was absolutelly dominant in the west and by II century, i think the better of the world. Between III and V centuries was in the vanguard of the warfare with the sassanid army.

The empires of the world born and die and Rome always live; was the "Empire" and survive today in the legend... muahahahahaha

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 22:09

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I really don't see why the Romans are considered to be so powerful. Geographically, the Romans aren't even in the 15 largest Empires. Their economy flowed gold out into East and their amy was not as dominant as those of other Empires, like the Timurids.

Whether the Romans were the "Greatest" is another matter, but certainly not the most powerful.

In terms of geography I don't think a large empire is necessary powerful, I mean you could rule thousands of miles of featureless desert and it doesnt make your empire great or powerful in real terms.

Look at the Roman empire and possible directions of expansion, the north, Germany, Scotland and eastern europe above the Danube, Germany was dense woodland Scotland was sparsely populated with harsh mountainous terrain and in terms of the north east you have the seemingly endless plains of the steppes. All of which are inhabitated by hostile tribes.

Was it really worth the expense to keep expanding northwards when there wasnt really that much to gain except more war?

The south you have pretty much the Sahara desert, so the east is the only possible worthwhile direction for expansion, but Persia is there and more so when the Sassanids were in power are far from a push over. The size of the Roman empire may not be particularly amazing, but it had a population of perhaps 60/80 million, was fabulously rich and had many good natural and artificial frontiers, the Rhine, Danube, Euphrates, the Sahara desert and Hadrians wall.

All of which could provide a firm barrier to invaders or atleast impede them if they were adequately defended, when you look at it like that there was little reason to expand. 

Its funny though how Romes biggest and most sustained flurry of military success occurred during the days of the republic, during the time of the Emperors the only major gains or conquests are really Mauretania, Dacia, Britain and Trajans largely temporary eastern conquests. Even then Dacia was surrendered in the 3rd century and Britain was effectively lost for much of the last century of the western empire due to invasions or rebellions.

-------------

Posted By: Qin Dynasty
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 00:42

well, since it is not a very serious and academy-oriented topic,  i d like to put my bet on China empire ( 2600 BC~ present).

1 the size: 

the modern china's territory mostly was laid foundation in Han dynasty, which is 2000 years up to now. Could any empire magistrate its one of the world's largest lands for 2000 years?

2 civlization length:

China's first dynasty Xia emerged in 4600~5100 years ago,  China still exists.  The modern Chinese read the same classics  their ancestors read thousands years ago, write the same characters  their ancestors write thousands years ago, speak the same language their ancestors speak thousands years ago,Could modern europeans do the same thing the Roman once did?

3 empire existence:

China feudal empire existed for 2132 years (221 BC~ 1911) if we do not count the slavery period and republic period. 

4 culture influence:

Chinese culture as i said above is extremely old and still alive this day, it is a total unique culture extinquished from those others'. The confucianism is still held esteem today and influences billions of people's behavior in East Asia. Could any culture influence last for such a long time and upon such a large population?

5 population:

The average number of standing force in China's history is around 100million, think about that. Today's PRC could mobilize 0.2 billion men in 60 days.

6 contribution:

As a world leading civilization in most time of its history, China's contributions to the world are countless and still makes contributions .  I m not stupid enough to list them since it is impossible to exhaust.

7 race:

Han race is the major but not only body of Chinese civilization. It keeps and envolves all its ancient features till today over numorous existence-challenges. That is what makes difference from those with same old age but already extinct races like ancient Egypitian , Indias and Babylonias

I didnot take much preciseness to these reasons above, I dont mean to be offensive, i just felt jaded about the overstated legends of Turks, and i want to tell them if there is one reason for any turks' based empire to be counted, there must be a thousand reasons for any Chinese dynasties.

Posted By: Celestial
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:42
Either the British Colonial empire or the Roman empire take the first place.

Posted By: perikles
Date Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:46
Originally posted by Celestial

But who?
I guess Ottomans?

-------------
Samos national guard.

260 days left.

Date Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:50
Originally posted by perikles

Originally posted by Celestial

But who?
I guess Ottomans?

He said either not neither.

-------------

Posted By: Celestial
Date Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 22:57
The Ottomans would be the third greatest my friend.

(Very strange to hear Ottomans from a Greek)

Posted By: Kids
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 00:05
Turks would vote Ottoman; Americans would vote Americans, Greeks would vote Athenian/Spartan/Hellenic empires,...........its pointless to say which was the MOST powerful empire

I would say that the world FIRST superpower is Persian empire.

Posted By: Hellios
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 02:52
Originally posted by BMC21113

Who are the ten most powerful empires in world history? I am looking for land mass, wealth, military, world influence, and effectiveness of government.

I've been told the British Empire was the first 'global' empire.

-------------

Posted By: BigL
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 03:30
the first and only

Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 04:30
Originally posted by Hellios

Originally posted by BMC21113

I've been told the British Empire was the first 'global' empire.

I think the Spanish empire has some claim to that, not perhaps to the extent of Britain was their rule global, but they held territories I believe in every continent.

-------------

Posted By: Gun Powder Ma
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 07:35
Don't know about the most powerful empire, but the Roman empire certainly has the most prestige, since many of the subsequent empires tried to emulate it: Holy Roman Empire, Czarist Russia, Habsburg, early modern Spain, Napoleonic France, Great Britain, USA.

Even the Ottoman Empire saw itself in the succession of the Byzantine Empire. Mehmet the Conqueror's grand plan was the "reunification" of the western und eastern parts, when he established a foothold at Otranto, Italy in 1480.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com