Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of the Renaissance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of the Renaissance.
    Posted: 08-Aug-2011 at 16:41

The is a general consensus that the Renaissance began in Florence, Tuscany in the 14th century. What was it that was happening at the time which developed into the Renaissance, and why did it start of in Florence and not somewhere else?

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2011 at 17:46
it was Serenisima, the Republic of Venice that became very reach from trade, the waypoint from and to everywhere in the known world. Modern great architecture is patterned on buildings from Venice or Vicenza or Florence. It connected the Orient with the Netherlands and the Rhine valley, which is how modern western civilization begun. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2011 at 18:22
The fall of the Roman Empire also played a part: when the Turks captured Constantinople many Byzantines fled to the west, taking with them Greek and Roman scientific texts that enabled the rest of Europe to catch up
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2011 at 19:08

Some byzantine and Roman texts were already known in the west and reneissance was going on many fields, also on the field of Roman law and its evolution in western Europe.

Good example was evolution from teaching Roman law to comment it and finally to use it in practice - the schools of Glosators and Comentators:

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Wadjet Horus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wadjet Horus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2011 at 19:57
Chinese people taught europeans secret knowledges, alchemy, science, occults all came from China via Zheng He, I think Gavin Menzis is right. The home of secret society may be in China.

The sign of Illuminati dating from 200BC from China:

Why Marco Polo came to China?

And Ahnenerbe? Just coincidence?

Mongols were majority semites and aryans, they were meant to crush the closed door of China for Marco Polo to secure some secre knowledge.
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2011 at 21:25
What actually is Byzantium? How do you cut it to fit into the flow of events.The ethymology of the name is not known to me. When the Turks got hold of it, it was merely a city with some folders around it. If it had once been an empire, it was gone long before the Turks made an appearance. The Turks didn't conquer an empire, only the city.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2011 at 17:09
Yes, but they have been fighting the Byzantine for a while before they made a move to take Constantinople. The name is derived from king Byzas who was a founder of the Greek colony some time in the 7th century BC.
Timidi mater non flet
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2011 at 15:36
Are we saying it is a combination between events happening outside of Italy and inside which brought about the Renaissance?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2011 at 18:35
Definitely, because an influx of Byzantine Greek scholars wouldn't have been enough to start a new era unless there were people actively seeking the knowledge they brought with them. I think that the unifying thought that started the movement was the sentiment people had against the oppression of the church and how it was basically an elitism establishment. The average medieval person was unable to read or write and couldn't even procure a bible if they wanted. So consider that sentiment with an added yearning to discover knowledge on their own and the ease of dissemination of information caused by the Gutenberg printing machine, it was only a matter of time before the renaissance would happen.
Timidi mater non flet
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2011 at 22:19
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Definitely, because an influx of Byzantine Greek scholars wouldn't have been enough to start a new era unless there were people actively seeking the knowledge they brought with them. I think that the unifying thought that started the movement was the sentiment people had against the oppression of the church and how it was basically an elitism establishment. The average medieval person was unable to read or write and couldn't even procure a bible if they wanted. So consider that sentiment with an added yearning to discover knowledge on their own and the ease of dissemination of information caused by the Gutenberg printing machine, it was only a matter of time before the renaissance would happen.
I would say the Gutenberg printing machine certainly helped the Renaissance along, but I was under the impression that the Renaissance had already begun at the time of the Gutenberg printing machine. I think you're right about the church however, as looking at Holbein's famous painting The Ambassadors, there's symbolic evidence of that religious tension.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 06:22
Is there one single point in time where people can point and say this is where it all started?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 07:41
All the renaissance was copy/paste from past!Byzantine arts also Hellenistic,science and rest of books,in the enlightenment period were collected old works with new names on as authors!Question that deserves answer is:Why did they make it than?Why did not do that earlier?

shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote shokdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 07:59
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Is there one single point in time where people can point and say this is where it all started?

The Fall of Constantinople 1453
Monkey see monkey do be doobie do
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 08:58
There have been more than one 'renaissance' in Europe, but the one commonly called Renaissance is most known because it marked the end of the Middle Age as an era dominated by obscurantism and feudal relations.

The Renaissance as a phenomenon characterized by rediscovering of the wisdom of the Past and aspiration to more knowledge was not an isolated phenomenon but rather the result of the 'renaissances' that preceded it:

-The Carolingian Renaissance (8-9th centuries) was the first of the three Western medieval Renaissances. It was followed by the Ottonian Renaissance (10th century) and by Renaissance of the 12th century, a period of significant changes and the first step in rediscovering the Grek and Latin works of Antiquity, first through the Arab translations in libraries from Spain and Sicily.

The Byzantine empire has also had three renaissances: the Macedonian Renaissance in 9-10th century followed by the 12th century Byzantine Renaissance and 13-15th century Palaiologian Renaissance. The Byzantine renaissances contributed to the Western ones, especially the last one, when after the fall of Constantinople many of the Byzantine scholars and artists fled to Italy and other Western countries.

Edited by Menumorut - 18-Aug-2011 at 09:04

Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 11:40
Feudalism relations remained well established throughout the Renaissance. Only the development of urban centers and bourgeoisie broke it. Christianity itself never offered any different solution to the medieval lifestyle.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 14:19
Did a change in the way business did accountancy facilitate any changes?
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote shokdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 00:16
Originally posted by Menumorut

The Carolingian Renaissance ... Ottonian Renaissance ... Renaissance of the 12th century ... Macedonian Renaissance ...

Inaccurate and misleading, You're confusing fairy tales with histroy.

[Edited: I offer the excuse of laziness to account for my sloppiness above. I should have written:
Menumorut, I greatly appreciate the effort you put in to collate all these links. However, a thorough reading of the material, followed by critical analysis of the primary sources, leads me to conclude that they are merely literary fictions, the creation of over eager historians, who we can easily identify.]

"Carolingian Renaissance" = literary fiction of modern scholars.
Even the wiki entry says "The use of the term renaissance to describe this period is contested."

"Ottonian Renaissance" = literary fiction of Hans Naumann.

"Macedonian Renaissance" = literary fiction of Kurt Weitzmann.
Again, even the wiki entry concludes "Because the term Renaissance (rinascita) was created in the 15th and 16th centuries by Italian humanists to describe their own time, its use outside of that context is problematic ..."

"Renaissance of the 12th century" = literary fiction of Charles Homer Haskins

... the 12th century Byzantine Renaissance and 13-15th century Palaiologian Renaissance.

Yes, combine "Byzantine Renaissance" and "Byzantium under the Palaiologoi" aka "Palaeologan Renaissance" to get the overall picture of the situation before the Fall of Constantinople, this is the pre-renaissance milieu from which the later true Renaissance emerges, as you recogonize:

The Byzantine renaissances contributed to the Western ones, especially the last one, when after the fall of Constantinople many of the Byzantine scholars and artists fled to Italy and other Western countries.

Edited by shokdee - 21-Aug-2011 at 04:27
Monkey see monkey do be doobie do
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 10:57
I find it fascinating all this talk about other renaissances. Has anyone got a timeline explaining how all these fit in when considering "The Renaissance"? 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 13:56
Because different groups of Romans had told us their version of history.Those days three migration groups have different type of truth of course.
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 14:49
There is a relation between Constantinople and Italy. There was a movement of scholars and learned heads from Greece to Italy, registered both during the early Roman Empire and later at the start of the Italian Renaissance. Italy is indeed known as the cradle of Renaissance while one of important parts of this movement are Greek settlers in Italy. Another point to note is that Greek gave way to Latin at some point, or so it seems, as the language of scribes.

Italian Renaissance was different to anything else, yet i would expect a cultural bridge between Byzantium and Italy, there somewhere in the darkness of the middle ages. Why, then, Byzantium has never been associated with the Renaissance, what cultural entity it was ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>