Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Empire: Total War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Empire: Total War
    Posted: 01-Jan-2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by nova roma

[
Well, I never got into Shogun or the first Medieval, but I love the game dynamics of Rome. It's more simple and straight forward. The battles are fought at a faster pace, and I love the idea of conquering all these civs only to lead up to a grand civil war. M2 has some nice features for sure, I like the religion system and little things like changing the unit queue system, plus dealing with diplomacy is a bit easy. However, these are all moot points when compared to what really matters: the battle experience.

I play using the RTR mod most of the time, it's a huge change but it always gives me interesting results.

but thats completely contradictory to each other. that the battles are over within a few miutes was game-killer no. 1 for me. historically battles lasted for hours. but then, you had armies and not just small bands of sodliers like in TW.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 06:33
For one thing, I hope they fix that bloody musket/arquebus/handcannon fault. You spend MTWII building up to a fine imperial age army with heavy cavalry and pikemen, only to discover your musketeers don't fire most of the time and are practically useless. They get their arses handed to them by peasant archers, I mean come on!
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 12:04
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by nova roma

[
Well, I never got into Shogun or the first Medieval, but I love the game dynamics of Rome. It's more simple and straight forward. The battles are fought at a faster pace, and I love the idea of conquering all these civs only to lead up to a grand civil war. M2 has some nice features for sure, I like the religion system and little things like changing the unit queue system, plus dealing with diplomacy is a bit easy. However, these are all moot points when compared to what really matters: the battle experience.

I play using the RTR mod most of the time, it's a huge change but it always gives me interesting results.

but thats completely contradictory to each other. that the battles are over within a few miutes was game-killer no. 1 for me. historically battles lasted for hours. but then, you had armies and not just small bands of sodliers like in TW.

How was it contradictory? I was talking about how enjoyable the game was to me, not how realistic it was. The battles in RTW are much faster paced then in M2 and I just liked that experience more.

Don't get me wrong, i've got a 2 month long game of stainless steel going with the Crown of Aragon and i'm loving it. Slow battles are OK too
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 10:36
Mostly new artwork and some new in game screenshots can be seen for Empire TW on IGN site. March 4.
http://pc.ign.com/dor/empire-total-war/958390/images/empire-total-war-20080304045614491.html?page=mediaFull

Copperknickers View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 12:11
I see a lot of u are concerned about historical innacuracies. There are couple of mods in development that are aiming to fix them. A lot of them could use some help. Here they are:

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by Copperknickers

I see a lot of u are concerned about historical innacuracies. There are couple of mods in development that are aiming to fix them. A lot of them could use some help. Here they are:

To be honest, since the CA has risen the required skill level to mod ETW (mostly graphics, etc), I doubt that any of those mods have a chance (especially those who will try to convert to modern war, ww2 or ww1).
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 12:38
I don't know about that, CA have said they will be releasing a lot of files and programs to help us. They know the Modding community is big, and indeed they recently hired a new employee based  a lot on the fact that he is a prominent modder, so they do care about mods.

As for graphics, all it takes is a bit of texturing, we already have the models etc. Although I agree that that Modern one is being a little optimistic if they think they can include jets and tanks. Harder things have been done.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 13:06

I don't know about that, CA have said they will be releasing a lot of files and programs to help us.

If I recall correctly they said something similar before M2TW, but we know how it turned out.Wink The thing is that CA's track record of releasing tools for modders so far is zero (save for cas converter which was released for M2TW, but why not for RTW?). Do you have a link to the quote where CA says that they will release tools?

They know the Modding community is big,

The modding community for MTW2 is smaller than it was for RTW. Many RTW modders left TW modding, because they were fed up with non existing support. Just compare the scope and quality of released mods for RTW and MTW2 - the difference is noticeable.

and indeed they recently hired a new employee based  a lot on the fact that he is a prominent modder, so they do care about mods.

I think I know which one you mean, but I wouldn't call him "prominent modder", anyway he works as a tester for CA not developer afaik. So thats hardly a proof that they care about mods.

As for graphics, all it takes is a bit of texturing, we already have the models etc.

Of course if you are making mod based on the same era as ETW - it will take a bit of texturing, but who is going to make those textures, there is a lack of quality artists out there who mod TW. And in many mods for MTW2 the texture quality is sub par. And as I said the skill bar has risen again for ETW.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 14:19
Originally posted by Roberts

1.CA said something similar before M2TW, but we know how it turned out.Wink The thing is that CA's track record of releasing tools for modders so far is zero (save for cas converter which was released for M2TW, but why not for RTW?). Do you have a link to the quote where CA says that they will release tools?

2.The modding community for MTW2 is smaller than it was for RTW. Many RTW modders left TW modding, because they were fed up with non existing support. Just compare the scope and quality of released mods for RTW and MTW2 - the difference is noticeable.

3.I think I know which one you mean, but I wouldn't call him "prominent modder", anyway he works as a tester for CA not developer afaik. So thats hardly a proof that they care about mods.

4.Of course if you are making mod based on the same era as ETW - it will take a bit of texturing, but who is going to make those textures, there is a lack of quality artists out there who mod TW. And in many mods for MTW2 the texture quality is sub par. And as I said the skill bar has risen again for ETW.

1. Thats not entirely fair, they gave us the unpacker with kingdoms and a couple of other things. I do have a quote on this subject, from the very same person i was talking about:

"Whilst it may have taken more work to modify MIITW, there was more opened up to modders in terms of modding AI, diplomacy, settlement and campaign mechanics etc. Unfortunately as games become more complex, making major mods will become harder as well. We're opening up quite a lot of the game to modders for Empire. As for tools, I do not kow what we might be doing in regards to that.

2. There are huge amounts of brilliant mods for M2, its just most are for kingdoms and are not released yet. Not to mention EB2, which if it lives up to its predecessor will be the best ever mod for total war. There are a lot of modders out there, they are coming in just as quickly as they are going out, and there is a lot more to come in terms of Med2 mods.

3.Jack Lusted is regarded almost as a god in TWcenter, with credits such as Lands to conquer and Terrae expugnatae featuring entirely new AI scripts utilised in a lot of major mods as well as his own. As for his job, you have to start somewhere, and hes still young. :)

4. I admit modelers and skinners are some of the less numerous resources in total war, but the new generation is creeping in slowly, and we will have a lot more by the time ETW comes out (one more at least, once i get a proper program for it ;))

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 22:13

1. Thats not entirely fair, they gave us the unpacker with kingdoms and a couple of other things. I do have a quote on this subject, from the very same person i was talking about:

Unpacker hardly counts since you can edit only text files just like in RTW when you unpack the files, but modders had to crack the code just to be able to skin, to model, to animate, and to edit some files.

"Whilst it may have taken more work to modify MIITW, there was more opened up to modders in terms of modding AI, diplomacy, settlement and campaign mechanics etc. Unfortunately as games become more complex, making major mods will become harder as well. We're opening up quite a lot of the game to modders for Empire. As for tools, I do not kow what we might be doing in regards to that.

Well no tools are confirmed, thats the point.

2. There are huge amounts of brilliant mods for M2, its just most are for kingdoms and are not released yet. Not to mention EB2, which if it lives up to its predecessor will be the best ever mod for total war. There are a lot of modders out there, they are coming in just as quickly as they are going out, and there is a lot more to come in terms of Med2 mods.

There are lot more high quality mods for RTW than for M2TW. I don't know where you see huge amounts of brilliant mods for Kingdoms. For me there are only two worth mentioning (from unreleased)- (EB2, Peninsula Italica) - the rest will hardly release anything, that would be miracle.
And no, there aren't many modders at all, just that someone edited some text file and called himself a modder doesn't mean that he actually is one. I see you joined TWC in this year's march so how can you can't really compare the modding activity changes.

3.Jack Lusted is regarded almost as a god in TWcenter, with credits such as Lands to conquer and Terrae expugnatae featuring entirely new AI scripts utilised in a lot of major mods as well as his own. As for his job, you have to start somewhere, and hes still young. :)

God at twcenter, oh please! Don't look at his post count and that little image next to his username - thats just extended RPG they are playing there on TWC. I wish him all the best in his work at CA, but his mods aren't the top ones both for RTW and for M2TW

4. I admit modelers and skinners are some of the less numerous resources in total war, but the new generation is creeping in slowly, and we will have a lot more by the time ETW comes out (one more at least, once i get a proper program for it ;))

Where is that new generation?

BTW I noticed your mod proposal for ETW.
Well what can I say. If your only responsibilities are the project coordinator and researcher then your mod will fail big time. No mod has ever been released for TW games with the team leader who doesn't posses any kind of usable skill in modding. He is the one who works the most.

Edited by Roberts - 15-Jun-2008 at 22:14
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 12:02
"BTW I noticed your mod proposal for ETW.
Well what can I say. If your only responsibilities are the project coordinator and researcher then your mod will fail big time. No mod has ever been released for TW games with the team leader who doesn't posses any kind of usable skill in modding. He is the one who works the most."

What on earth makes you think i don't have any usable skills? I can't very well mod a game that isn't out yet, so i don't have any modding responsibilities right now, but i am quite capable of getting all the work i need done when the game's files are released.

As for only having been at TWcenter since march, i have been at the .org since last year and the .com since the year before that. I was lurking here since two years ago, even if i only started posting now.

"There are lot more high quality mods for RTW than for M2TW. I don't know where you see huge amounts of brilliant mods for Kingdoms. For me there are only two worth mentioning (from unreleased)- (EB2, Peninsula Italica) - the rest will hardly release anything, that would be miracle."

Of course there are more for RTW now, its been out for about 4 years now, and we only in the past month or two are in a state of being able to mod Kingdoms. As for Med2 mods that are unreleased:

Broken crescent, which is coming along quite nicely considering it's still BETA and one of its leaders left.

Res Gestae Imperiales

Rise of the Caliphate

Third age total war

Deus Lo Vult

Stainless Steel

EB2

The frontier

You give me anywhere near that many good quality mods for RTW and i will be very surprised.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 12:38

What on earth makes you think i don't have any usable skills? I can't very well mod a game that isn't out yet, so i don't have any modding responsibilities right now, but i am quite capable of getting all the work i need done when the game's files are released.

Well and what kind of skills you have?
And if you have then why didn't you list them on your mod proposal post, for some people it might be turn off if they read that only thing that mod leader does is -
"quoting from your post
Team:

Me- Project coordinator and researcher"

Of course there are more for RTW now, its been out for about 4 years now, and we only in the past month or two are in a state of being able to mod Kingdoms.

Many of them were released in the first two years before m2tw came out.

As for Med2 mods that are unreleased:

Broken crescent, which is coming along quite nicely considering it's still BETA and one of its leaders left.

Broken Crescent released long time ago, no longer a beta. They are past 1.0 version iirc.
"
Res Gestae Imperiales
"
They don't even have screenshots to show. Not going to release anything playable. The team is a mess.

Rise of the Caliphate

Seriously, haha
With mod leader like they have, not going to release anything in 100 years.

Third age total war

The unit graphics are nice. Huge way to go.

Deus Lo Vult

Stainless Steel

Already released

EB2

Already mentioned

The frontier

This one looks promising , I take my words back in this case.

You give me anywhere near that many good quality mods for RTW and i will be very surprised.

2 mods - Europa Barbarorum and Napoleonic 2 Total War - the work and skill level which have been used to make them as they are now - really there is no comparable ones for M2TW yet.
The rest of great ones:
RTR, Forth Age, Blue Lotus, The Crusades

Edited by Roberts - 22-Jun-2008 at 12:43
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 13:14
Fourth age? Blue lotus! You are kidding me, they are some of the worst games i have ever played imo, and i am a lotr nut. And Nap 2 doesn't even have a campaign iirc. I dont really think it matters how long it will tkae to make, EB2 will take a couple of thousand years to reach 1.0 yet you are sl*gging other mods for that reason.

As for my skills, quite apart from the fact that i am a reasonble scripter and i am learning to model and skin, everyone will have to pretty much relearn everything now we have a new engine.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 13:30

Blue lotus!

One of the most beautiful units and animations were made for this mod. The creator was professional artist.

And Nap 2 doesn't even have a campaign iirc.

So what! They are multiplayer mod. To make Napoleonic warfare mod on Rome engine is huge task which requires highly skilled team, which the Lordz modding collective certainly were. Afaik they were offered to work on Empire Total War by CA, but declined and now they are game developing studio of their own and making their own game.

I dont really think it matters how long it will tkae to make, EB2 will take a couple of thousand years to reach 1.0 yet you are sl*gging other mods for that reason.

True, but what makes EB2 different from other mods is their proven background of  major released mod in the past.
"
As for my skills, quite apart from the fact that i am a reasonble scripter and i am learning to model and skin, everyone will have to pretty much relearn everything now we have a new engine.
"
Then why didn't you mention that on your proposal thread, you know talent attracts talent. Skilled people are more likely to join your mod if you have something to show.

Edited by Roberts - 22-Jun-2008 at 13:32
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 14:42
"Then why didn't you mention that on your proposal thread"

Because whats the point in getting all the talent before i have anything for them to do?
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 14:48
Well for example you can get your artists to make promotional/advertising stuff for your mod - like highpoly models, concept art etc. In order to expand mod's popularity.
Or you can ask them to work on some in game models like swords, helmets, shields, bows etc. No skinning just plain modeling. And when the game comes you will have whole array of useful equipment to import for existing human figures.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 15:54
Actually i did have someone who was going to do some models for me, but he resigned a week ago, so i suppose i'll just have to find someone else. Thanks Roberts.
RollingWave View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote RollingWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2008 at 12:54
I'm sorry, the lure of the TW series was the ancient warfare aspect, it gets zzzz if it's all pike and musket
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2008 at 13:03
Another mod for M2TW that seems good is Basileia: Total War

Basileia – Total War - Total War Center Forums
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2008 at 22:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>