Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGjergj Kastrioti (Skenderbey)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gjergj Kastrioti (Skenderbey)
    Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 18:55
being an Albanian, Repos was a Serb (brothers of different nationality, huh?) and was buried in Chilandari on Mount Athos.

The burial ground at the Chilandar had a special area reserved for Albanians. Thats the area where both John and Repos were buried.

Nomenclature is almost irrelevant in an age where Serbian influence was as high as it was. This was the post-Dusan world. In the similar fashion, following Caesars conquest of Gaul we see the rise in Latin names in the province.

Serbian names is actually a sign of "Serbianization". This wasnt limited to Scanderbeg. A number of other Albanian noblemen(among them, the Thopias and Dukagjini's) began to adopt Serbian nomenclature.

In French, from a study of Vukanovic:

Une consquence de ces liens de mariage et de cette symbiose matrimoniale sont d'importants legs que Jean Castriote avait faits au monastre de Chilandar. Il a, ensuite, avec ses trois fils: Repos, Constantin et Georges, achet Chilandar, pour lui mme et pour ses fils, les parts de confrrie, ce qui leur donnait le droit de s'y rfugier et d'y habituer dans le cas o leur pays serait conquis par les Turcs et eux-mmes chasss de leur patrie. Comme demeure il leur fut attribu le pyrgue de St Georges qui porte le nome de "Pyrgue albanais". De cette faon, le monastre mdival serbe, Chilandar, avait servi d'asile la famille albanaise de Georges Castriote Scander-Beg. Ceci fut bas, comme nous venons de mentionner, sur les liens de mariage et autres lments de symbiose culturelle.

Source

I dont think that anyone who argued that a Bosnian with the name Cerciz is a Turk, or Turk originated, would be taken very seriously...

Edited by Theodore Felix - 13-Apr-2007 at 22:24
Pjetr Liosha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 00:40

Wow. This thread went far ahead since the last time I checked in. And I see nothing concrete on Kastrioti's deeds and legacy ... rather a continued debate on his origins. I thought the matter was cleared up in the first page of this long thread!?

Theodore seems to have done well here during my absence, defending the case of ScanderbegTongue

Akritas mentioned Emathia and Kastoria. Emathia was Barleti's term for Mati, which is a region in North-Central Albania. It is, essentially, free of Greek influence. Kastoria has nothing to do with Kastrioti, as historians have concluded long ago. Firstly, it is not plausible to assume the Kastrioti family received their name from the town of Kastoria, when no mention of them being from there originally is made .. nor did Scanderbeg's domains ever stretch thus far. Additionally, Kastrioti comes from the word castron, from the Greek word for castle. The Kastrioti family were the castle 'guards', so to say, of the fortification of Cidhna, in Dibra. This title was most probably given to the family during the Byzantine era, I presume. This suggests a long presence in Dibra, which simultaneously speaks against a Slav origins of this family.

The origin of the name of Kastoria, however, it has been argued by linguists, comes from the Greek word kastor, meaning beaver.
-----------------------------------------------------

Yugoslav

I explained it in my first post, and Theodore evaluated further. The Slav argument about the Kastrioti family's Slav origins is fallacious, because it depends on the anthroponyms of Scanderbeg's siblings.

You must realize that Scanderbeg's home-region, Dibra, was a territory adjacent to territories inhabited mainly by Slavs. The neighbourly influence ran probably high, as you can imagine. Additionally, Dibra, much alike the rest of Albania, had been continuously under the reign of Serbian kings, like tsar Dusan. This resulted, naturally, in an extensive Slav influence being exercised. Dusan's implementation of a law which furthermore prohibited any religion besides that of Orthodoxy of the Serbian rite, naturally had its consequences as well.

The result was the adoption of Slav anthroponyms of the Serbian-Orthodox sphere. Later on, when the Turks established a population census, you had a weird mix of Albanian-Slav names, especially along the border territories, such as Dibra or the highlands adjacent to Slavic Zeta. Thus you had a father, named Gjon (Alb.) who's son was named Branko (Srb.). Or Vlajko (Srb.) who was the son of Lul (Alb.). A clear sign of Serbian Orthodox influence, which naturally also affected Scanderbeg's family. The only one who has a high probabibility of coming from a Slav noble family was Scanderbeg's mother, Vojsava, a princess from Polog. But even here, we cannot be 100 per cent sure. These influences are still evident, in surnames such as Vladi, Bogdani etc, or even first-names, such as Vuksan and so forth.

Finally, I would also like to dwelve deeper into the case of Reposh Kastrioti. I mistook myself, having forgotten what I had read quite some while ago, about Reposh's true relation to the churhc/monastery, which was't that of a pious monk. Reposh Kastrioti's grave in Hilandar bears the inscription "dux Illyricus" -- Illyrian duke (Illyrian being a synonym, oftenly to Albanian, in medieval sources). This is sufficient to conclude that Reposh Kastrioti wasn't a monk, for which was requied that anyone, be he noble or something else, abandon his former titles and becomes a simple monk. We shall soon see what he was, but in order to fully grasp the essence of what I am writing, we need to unveil the mystery concerning the monastery of Saint George, also in Mt.Athos (the Hilandar area).

John Kastrioti, the father of Scanderbeg, had in exchange for two villages and 60 golden coins, received the monastery of Saint George. This monastery was called, by the Slavs, 'Arbanashka pirga', which was medieval Slav for 'Albanian monastery'. If John Kastrioti was a Slav, and if his sons were as well, then why would the Serbs of Hilandar call that monastery 'Albanian'? Unless it was because John Kastrioti bought it!? It becomes rather clear now, that Reposh Kastrioti wasn't an ordinary 'monk', but on the contrary, he was the commander of a local guard which protected the monastery on the account of his father. Him not being called a Serbian duke, infact, him not even having a Serb noble title (zupan, knyez, voievode), tells alot about his ethnicity. And the purchase of a monastery from John's side wasn't coincidental or without purpose either. Being near the port of Thessaloniki, John Kastrioti had access to, with the help of his intelligentsia, rather important information on both the Venetians AND the Ottomans, both with whom he had a beef. Reposh Kastrioti died as a noble commander, defending the monastery from which his father's men supervised important political occurances.

Regarding Reposh's son being named Branilo; is there any concrete source for this? Not calling you a liar, but I haven't heard of this before. Would like to know more.

Edited by Pjetr Liosha - 14-Apr-2007 at 00:45
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 13:26
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

being an Albanian, Repos was a Serb (brothers of different nationality, huh?) and was buried in Chilandari on Mount Athos.

The burial ground at the Chilandar had a special area reserved for Albanians. Thats the area where both John and Repos were buried.

Nomenclature is almost irrelevant in an age where Serbian influence was as high as it was. This was the post-Dusan world. In the similar fashion, following Caesars conquest of Gaul we see the rise in Latin names in the province.

Serbian names is actually a sign of "Serbianization". This wasnt limited to Scanderbeg. A number of other Albanian noblemen(among them, the Thopias and Dukagjini's) began to adopt Serbian nomenclature.

In French, from a study of Vukanovic:

Une consquence de ces liens de mariage et de cette symbiose matrimoniale sont d'importants legs que Jean Castriote avait faits au monastre de Chilandar. Il a, ensuite, avec ses trois fils: Repos, Constantin et Georges, achet Chilandar, pour lui mme et pour ses fils, les parts de confrrie, ce qui leur donnait le droit de s'y rfugier et d'y habituer dans le cas o leur pays serait conquis par les Turcs et eux-mmes chasss de leur patrie. Comme demeure il leur fut attribu le pyrgue de St Georges qui porte le nome de "Pyrgue albanais". De cette faon, le monastre mdival serbe, Chilandar, avait servi d'asile la famille albanaise de Georges Castriote Scander-Beg. Ceci fut bas, comme nous venons de mentionner, sur les liens de mariage et autres lments de symbiose culturelle.

Source

I dont think that anyone who argued that a Bosnian with the name Cerciz is a Turk, or Turk originated, would be taken very seriously...

Yes, I know.

BTW wasn't John buried in Elbesan deep in central Albania?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 13:40
Originally posted by Pjetr Liosha

Wow. This thread went far ahead since the last time I checked in. And I see nothing concrete on Kastrioti's deeds and legacy ... rather a continued debate on his origins. I thought the matter was cleared up in the first page of this long thread!?

Theodore seems to have done well here during my absence, defending the case of ScanderbegTongue

Akritas mentioned Emathia and Kastoria. Emathia was Barleti's term for Mati, which is a region in North-Central Albania. It is, essentially, free of Greek influence. Kastoria has nothing to do with Kastrioti, as historians have concluded long ago. Firstly, it is not plausible to assume the Kastrioti family received their name from the town of Kastoria, when no mention of them being from there originally is made .. nor did Scanderbeg's domains ever stretch thus far. Additionally, Kastrioti comes from the word castron, from the Greek word for castle. The Kastrioti family were the castle 'guards', so to say, of the fortification of Cidhna, in Dibra. This title was most probably given to the family during the Byzantine era, I presume. This suggests a long presence in Dibra, which simultaneously speaks against a Slav origins of this family.

The origin of the name of Kastoria, however, it has been argued by linguists, comes from the Greek word kastor, meaning beaver.
-----------------------------------------------------

Yugoslav

I explained it in my first post, and Theodore evaluated further. The Slav argument about the Kastrioti family's Slav origins is fallacious, because it depends on the anthroponyms of Scanderbeg's siblings.

You must realize that Scanderbeg's home-region, Dibra, was a territory adjacent to territories inhabited mainly by Slavs. The neighbourly influence ran probably high, as you can imagine. Additionally, Dibra, much alike the rest of Albania, had been continuously under the reign of Serbian kings, like tsar Dusan. This resulted, naturally, in an extensive Slav influence being exercised. Dusan's implementation of a law which furthermore prohibited any religion besides that of Orthodoxy of the Serbian rite, naturally had its consequences as well.

The result was the adoption of Slav anthroponyms of the Serbian-Orthodox sphere. Later on, when the Turks established a population census, you had a weird mix of Albanian-Slav names, especially along the border territories, such as Dibra or the highlands adjacent to Slavic Zeta. Thus you had a father, named Gjon (Alb.) who's son was named Branko (Srb.). Or Vlajko (Srb.) who was the son of Lul (Alb.). A clear sign of Serbian Orthodox influence, which naturally also affected Scanderbeg's family. The only one who has a high probabibility of coming from a Slav noble family was Scanderbeg's mother, Vojsava, a princess from Polog. But even here, we cannot be 100 per cent sure. These influences are still evident, in surnames such as Vladi, Bogdani etc, or even first-names, such as Vuksan and so forth.

Finally, I would also like to dwelve deeper into the case of Reposh Kastrioti. I mistook myself, having forgotten what I had read quite some while ago, about Reposh's true relation to the churhc/monastery, which was't that of a pious monk. Reposh Kastrioti's grave in Hilandar bears the inscription "dux Illyricus" -- Illyrian duke (Illyrian being a synonym, oftenly to Albanian, in medieval sources). This is sufficient to conclude that Reposh Kastrioti wasn't a monk, for which was requied that anyone, be he noble or something else, abandon his former titles and becomes a simple monk. We shall soon see what he was, but in order to fully grasp the essence of what I am writing, we need to unveil the mystery concerning the monastery of Saint George, also in Mt.Athos (the Hilandar area).

John Kastrioti, the father of Scanderbeg, had in exchange for two villages and 60 golden coins, received the monastery of Saint George. This monastery was called, by the Slavs, 'Arbanashka pirga', which was medieval Slav for 'Albanian monastery'. If John Kastrioti was a Slav, and if his sons were as well, then why would the Serbs of Hilandar call that monastery 'Albanian'? Unless it was because John Kastrioti bought it!? It becomes rather clear now, that Reposh Kastrioti wasn't an ordinary 'monk', but on the contrary, he was the commander of a local guard which protected the monastery on the account of his father. Him not being called a Serbian duke, infact, him not even having a Serb noble title (zupan, knyez, voievode), tells alot about his ethnicity. And the purchase of a monastery from John's side wasn't coincidental or without purpose either. Being near the port of Thessaloniki, John Kastrioti had access to, with the help of his intelligentsia, rather important information on both the Venetians AND the Ottomans, both with whom he had a beef. Reposh Kastrioti died as a noble commander, defending the monastery from which his father's men supervised important political occurances.

Regarding Reposh's son being named Branilo; is there any concrete source for this? Not calling you a liar, but I haven't heard of this before. Would like to know more.

Of course. I am not one of those who call him "Djuradj Kastriotic Skenderbeg" if you know what I mean.

I hear his mother is not just claimed by the Serbs, but Bulgarians and Macedonians too.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 17:53

The monastery of St.Vladimir? No, that would be a member of the Thopias. I believe it was Charles Thopia who built the church. There is still a fresco available of him donating it.

Anyway, it is impossible to think of any kind of "purity" when dealing with these figures. The various Albanian noblemen were deeply mixed with various Italian, Serbian and even Norman families.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 15-Apr-2007 at 13:04
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:42

The monastery of St.Vladimir? No, that would be a member of the Thopias. I believe it was Charles Thopia who built the church. There is still a fresco available of him donating it.

Anyway, it is impossible to think of any kind of "purity" when dealing with these figures. The various Albanian noblemen were deeply mixed with various Italian, Serbian and even Norman families.

The question of the names is not that complicated.

The Albanians who belonged to the orthodox religion at the time were followers of the pravoslav rituals, or of the greek orthodox church. The Albanian Orthodox Church (Autocephalous) was created only in the XX century, by the albanian bishop Theofan Stilian Noli.
So the orthodox albanians, during centuries, used to baptise their children with serbian or greek names. The spoken form of the name was of course albanian, but (specially the nobles) in their letters wrote their christening name as they got it in their baptism.
That explains why Repos and Stanisa had serbian names, they were not the only albanians bearing serbian names. But they were albanians, as it is shown by the toponym Arbanaski Pirg. (Arbanaski cannot be a mere geographical term, it is never reported such use of the word albanian)

Now regarding the nobility, the balkan nobility, as well as all the european mediaeval nobility used to marry people of the same strata, regardless their ethnic origin. So is a bit nonsense all this discussion.
The ethnicity of a nobleman is derived only by their territory, and by the direct male ancestors.

In Elbasan was buried an orthodox saint, John Vladimir, who is holly to albanians, but also bulgarians, serbians and montenegrines.
It is known as Gjon Vladimiri or Jan Vladimiri in albanian, and Jovan Vladimir in the slavic churches.

Regarding Skanderbeg's religion. If we take for granted that Skanderbeg was from Has region in northeastern Albania/western Kosova, then it could be a Catholic of the Byzanthine (eastern) Rithual. I say that because Pjeter Bogdani, which became the Catholic Archbishop of Skopje some decades later was from the very same region (Gur i Hasit). Reports from the Catholic priests of the region show that the albanians living there followed the eastern tradition, but recognized the sovereignity of the Pope on the church.
Anyway, the native religious belonging of Gjergj Kastrioti is still disputed, while it is certain that at an early time in his military career in Albania he was (probably by conversion) a Catholic, and the pope glorified his person with the title Athletus Christi (defender of christianity).

Regarding Kastoria, where did it came from???
Prej heshtjes...!
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 16:52
Originally posted by Arbr Z

The question of the names is not that complicated.

The Albanians who belonged to the orthodox religion at the time were followers of the pravoslav rituals, or of the greek orthodox church. The Albanian Orthodox Church (Autocephalous) was created only in the XX century, by the albanian bishop Theofan Stilian Noli.
So the orthodox albanians, during centuries, used to baptise their children with serbian or greek names. The spoken form of the name was of course albanian, but (specially the nobles) in their letters wrote their christening name as they got it in their baptism.
That explains why Repos and Stanisa had serbian names, they were not the only albanians bearing serbian names. But they were albanians, as it is shown by the toponym Arbanaski Pirg. (Arbanaski cannot be a mere geographical term, it is never reported such use of the word albanian)

Now regarding the nobility, the balkan nobility, as well as all the european mediaeval nobility used to marry people of the same strata, regardless their ethnic origin. So is a bit nonsense all this discussion.
The ethnicity of a nobleman is derived only by their territory, and by the direct male ancestors.

In Elbasan was buried an orthodox saint, John Vladimir, who is holly to albanians, but also bulgarians, serbians and montenegrines.
It is known as Gjon Vladimiri or Jan Vladimiri in albanian, and Jovan Vladimir in the slavic churches.

Regarding Skanderbeg's religion. If we take for granted that Skanderbeg was from Has region in northeastern Albania/western Kosova, then it could be a Catholic of the Byzanthine (eastern) Rithual. I say that because Pjeter Bogdani, which became the Catholic Archbishop of Skopje some decades later was from the very same region (Gur i Hasit). Reports from the Catholic priests of the region show that the albanians living there followed the eastern tradition, but recognized the sovereignity of the Pope on the church.
Anyway, the native religious belonging of Gjergj Kastrioti is still disputed, while it is certain that at an early time in his military career in Albania he was (probably by conversion) a Catholic, and the pope glorified his person with the title Athletus Christi (defender of christianity).

Regarding Kastoria, where did it came from???

The trouble is they weren't Orthodox - but Catholic.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 23:48

The trouble is they weren't Orthodox - but Catholic.

The Kastriots, prior to Scanderbeg, were an Orthodox family. It could be likely that they converted during the Dusan age, however, by John I Kastriots era the family was clearly Orthodox.

Scanderbeg was more ambiguous. The fact that in the end Constantinople vanished must have secured his favoritism of the west.
GoldenBlood View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 06:26
Originally posted by Yugoslav

I hear his mother is not just claimed by the Serbs, but Bulgarians and Macedonians too.

Mother of Skanderbeg was not slav but Albanian from Triballi tribes (Illyriano-Thracian), this tribes lived in South-West Modern FYROM Macedonia....and there never had serbs (but little bulgarians).

Edited by GoldenBlood - 16-Apr-2007 at 06:27
Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise
britani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 16:47

originally posted by yougoslav

his mother was a pure albanian but our history (and our heroes too) always have been stolen by the others........as "Hammond" has said :-Albania has been and would be the land of the heroes.

By the way Alexander"s mother was an illyrian and according to your point of view Alexander would be aslo an illyrian/albanian......

KUVENDI I LEZHES
britani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 16:55
Skanderbeg
Gjergj Kastriot Skenderbeu is the greatest Albanian national hero. He was responsible for driving the Ottoman Turks out of the country for a season and is also credited with preventing the Turks from spreading into Europe.
britani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 17:00

Georg%20Castriota,%20gen.%20Skanderbeg,%20Frst%20von%20Epirus%20und%20Albanien%20%281405-1468%29

take a look at this........is very special for you
britani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 17:04

britani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 17:07

ILIRI%20I%20MADH%20nuk%20sht%20n%20linj  
his real helmet in wien
britani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 17:11

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 04:05
Pardon my intrusion in the discussion, but why does it matter where his mother came from and what nationality he had?

(If one can even speak about nationality at all. After all, nationality is a nineteenth-century construct, and applying it to a medieval person is rather anachronistic...)

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:17
but why does it matter where his mother came from and what nationality he had?

There is a very simple answer to this question; in fact, I will summarize it in one noun: Balkans.

dark matter View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 01:17
you know guys lets forget everything skenderbeg did, the fact that the soldiers that fought with him, some of which migrated with their families to italy whose decendents speak some form of old albanian(not greek or serbian). lets forget that the ottomans who fought him ALOT, recorded him and his army as albanian, lets forget that the ottomans knew skenderbeg for several decades, he did serve the sultan for big chiunck of his life.

but the ottomans never knew he was a greek!!!!
i mean come on, just say kastrioti and notice how it rolls through your tounge in a hellenic manner. if only the ottomans had knowledge of this late discovery, they too would have known skenderbeg was a opressed greek minority.LOLLOL

poor sultan(s), they never knew who they were fighting.

ps almost forgot, someone please email the arberesh in italy, get them up to date, so they can start speaking greek instead of old albanian. poor confused folks!

Edited by dark matter - 19-Apr-2007 at 01:18
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 02:31
There is a very simple answer to this question; in fact, I will summarize it in one noun: Balkans.
LOL
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 04:33

but why does it matter where his mother came from and what nationality he had?

Ah...right...LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>