Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Siege of Constantinople

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Siege of Constantinople
    Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 02:42
Originally posted by Mortaza

By defeating this invasion they saved Western Civilisation and did a great service to humanity.

Humanity?LOL

Yes, because I think the destruction of Western Civilisation in the 8th century would have been a bad thing, seeing as most of the social, political, technological and economic advances over the past 600 years have come from the West.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 04:00
Werent arabians more advanced than europeans in 8th century.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 04:01
Originally posted by Krum

Werent arabians more advanced than europeans in 8th century.

Not more than the Byzantines.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:44
Oh yes they were.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:47
I also know that they were more advanced.It was a period of great cultural,scientific,military and economically progress for arabian civilization.
Plato
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:49
And it make me feel proud that bulgarians crushed in such a way.About 22 000 arabians were slained only by bulgarian cavalry.According to other european sources the number was 30000.

Edited by Krum - 28-Oct-2006 at 10:56
Plato
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:50

The Arabs were more advanced and definately more than the rest of Europe, the Arabs would have entered into Central Europe, another Al-Andalus wouldn't have been so bad Wink

I think Eastern Romans owe quite alot to Bulgars, its due to the Bulgars the Roums lasted 6 more centuries.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 11:06
Originally posted by Bulldog

Oh yes they were.

No, they weren't. Arab invaders inherited a lot from "Byzantines".

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 11:10
Can you point out the scientific, cultural, economic, social advancement of Arabs until the 2nd decade of 8th century? If you can't by then (the time of the siege), let's expand it for the entire 8th century. Name reformers, scholars, philosophers, anything. If you don't know individuals, try to support some alleged achivements with evidence.
Afterwards, I'm sure not only me, but many others can flood this thread with Byzantine achievements (and remarkable individuals) in the same age.

It's amazing how so many modern Bulgarians and Turks (Anatolian Turks, I mean) constantly minimize Byzantine history.

Edited by Chilbudios - 28-Oct-2006 at 11:36
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 11:31
As long as i know arabian art and culture flourished in the centuries after they failed to conquer Europe.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 11:40
I made a mistake.Sorry i meant a later period.

And Chilbudios i'm not trying to minimize Byzantine empire.After all they are the real descendant of roman empire.But you cannot deny that in some period Arabian Civilization was more advanced than european.It is true that arabians invaders inherited much from byzantine but byzantine inherited everything from Roman Empire.
Plato
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 11:59
Originally posted by Krum

I made a mistake.Sorry i meant a later period.

And Chilbudios i'm not trying to minimize Byzantine empire.After all they are the real descendant of roman empire.But you cannot deny that in some period Arabian Civilization was more advanced than european.It is true that arabians invaders inherited much from byzantine but byzantine inherited everything from Roman Empire.

But you cannot lump together all Christian civilisations as "European". While the Arabs of the 8th century were more advanced than the Anglo Saxons, for example, they did not exceed the advances of the Byzantine Empire.

At the end of the day, Byzantium was simply better at preserving the cultural heritage which she inherited from the Roman Empire. It was this preservation which allowed her a relatively greater level of advancement in many fields.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:18
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Werent arabians more advanced than europeans in 8th century?

Not more than the Byzantines.

Not in the 8th century for sure,but surely in the timespan between 9th and 11th centuries

Edited by Kapikulu - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:19
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:16
Its infact completely the opposite, certain people like to minimilize everything Bulgarians, Turks, Arabs did and herald Eastern Romans as the all great, most advanced, most superior and civillised Empire.

The very existance of the Eastern Romans post 8th Century is due to the Bulgars. The fact that Arabs were defeated by them in undermined unbelievably. If the Bulgars never defeated the Arabs there was a serious chance that Eastern Roman Empire could have fallen. Its no good saying that the Arabs would have failed and all the Bulgars did was get rid of them quicker than the others would have. This is simply not acceptable, the Arab forces were very powerfull, organised and advanced, it was no easy feat to defeat them at this battle.

However, what do we ever hear of the Bulgars? about their culture, civillisation and influences on the Eastern Roman Empire.

There is this myth that Eastern Roman Empire influenced everyone and nobody else influenced them as they were all inferior.

Just because not everyone heralds the Eastern Roman Empire in the same way other's do, doesn't mean they are "undermining" them, their just being more realistic and less romantic about it all.
Albert Pine

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 16:15

Bulldog, if you just look at Bulgarian-Byzantine conflict in many online materials (Wiki is a good start) with a critical eye (like you never knew anything about history), you'll know what I mean. Or perhaps not. Let's review the how the conflict from this thread is perceived as this proves my point, as well.

Bulgars haven't saved the Eastern Empire. Claiming otherwise requires a burden of proof. Claiming without proof is just wishful thinking.
The Arabs were not defeated by Bulgarians alone, so there's no undermining. I've seen no analysis on this thread how the power, organization and superior technology/discipline/whatever of Arab forces could be a dangerous combination for the security of the city or even the Empire. Can you give us an overview of the successes of Arab artillery against Constantinople's walls? Their successes on sea against Byzantine navy? Some parallels between the siege of 717-718 and the sieges of 1204 and 1453 to at least build a believable hypothesis the city could have fallen to Arabs?
There is not a single contribution in this thread to say the Bulgarians had no role in defeat (therefore your claim the Bulgarian role is downplayed has no support for this particular example), there are many contributions in this thread saying the Bulgarians saved the Empire, Europe, without them the Arabs would have conquered the Empire, the City, the Islam would have conquered Europe, Arabs were more advanced than Byzantines in the 8th century, in other periods - a lot of claims of "Byzantine inferiority" without a shred of evidence, without a decent scale for comparision and at least hints, if not arguments. Amazingly, the posters of such things are in a visible majority Bulgarians or Turks. On the other hand, you can't identify a cultural or ethnical background of those who disagree with them (we're not all Greeks or something like that, at the best one can say we like Byzantine history to a degree), so to me the shape of the bias is obvious and well-justified (Seljuks, Ottomans and Bulgarian Medieval states had Byzantine Empire as enemy). There are other stereotypical images about Byzantines on these forums: they were saved by their diplomacy, there is only one famous victory against Bulgarians (Kleidion) largely mentioned for the 14,000 blinded Bulgarian soldiers, rather for the military brilliance of Basil II or his army (the other Byzantine victories are amorphous, indirect or attentuated by near events - the Bulgarian tsars were weak in the 8th century, Nicephorus sacked Pliska before he was killed, etc.) - one is left in wonder how Byzantine could even reconquer Balkanic peninsula with so little major victories but with so many defeats!

By 8th century, there's nothing impressive to hear about Bulgars (culture, civilization and influences on Byzantine world). Nor about Arabs. If you disagree please illustrate the "scientific, cultural, economic, social advancement". When Krum said Arabs were more advanced (he didn't specified in what way) than Byzantines in 8th century, you supported him replying to Constantine XI: "oh yes they were". Meanwhile Krum corrected his position, now let's hear your arguments.

The myth you mention exists too but also, at times, it is a fictional enemy as you take opposite positions even where the myth is not present. The claims made here were openly suggesting a Byzantine inferiority not influences of some sort. There's one thing to discuss about the trade between Byzantines and Muslim world or about the golden age of Islamic intellectual achievements, there's another to say the Bulgarians saved the Empire or Europe.

Edited by Chilbudios - 28-Oct-2006 at 16:18
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 16:25
Bulldog i must say i'm amazed to see a guy from western europe protecting Bulgaria.
You're totally right this forum is full of people who glorify the byzantines as if they were the rulers of the world(Constantine IX will be a perfect example)and thinking that bulgarians are some kind of an unwashed wild tribe which had received civilization from the byzantines.Bulgarians had a centralised state which they created on their own.

Again i will remind of what happened to Nikephoros,also the many attemps of Constantine V Copronimos to destroy the bulgars,Tzar Simeons reign-he proclaimed himself Tzar of Bulgars and Romans and no one challenged this title.

And not only Bulgaria-remember Manzikert?

I'm NOT saying that Byzantia hasn't given anything to the world but come on...Confused

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Oct-2006 at 16:30
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 16:37

Originally posted by Liudovik Nemski

Again i will remind of what happened to Nikephoros,also the many attemps of Constantine V Copronimos to destroy the bulgars,Tzar Simeons reign-he proclaimed himself Tzar of Bulgars and Romans and no one challenged this title.

And not only Bulgaria-remember Manzikert?
Thank you for proving my point.

Bulldog i must say i'm amazed to see a guy from western europe protecting Bulgaria.
His discourse is usually pro-Turkic and anti-their-enemies (and he considers Bulgarians of a definite Turkic origin).

that bulgarians are some kind of an unwashed wild tribe which had received civilization from the byzantines
Weren't they? They have brought engineers and scholars from the steppes or wild warriors?

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by Constantine XI

As I myself have hinted at earlier, this really was a team effort of which both civilisations can take a lot of pride in. By defeating this invasion they saved Western Civilisation and did a great service to humanity.

Who knows? If the Bulgars did not prevent the Arabs from crushing byzantium, Europe may have been liberated by the progressive forces in the East and may never have had to go through the dark ages. Western Civilisation ( or rather lack thereof), which brought about the inquisution, colonialism and the destruction of the native peoples of America, may have been stamped out by the progressive forces of Islam. It would have been a very different world then - a world in which Copernicus was never burnt for his ideas, a world in which America still beloned to its rightful owners.

Edited by bg_turk - 28-Oct-2006 at 17:06
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by Chilbudios

that bulgarians are some kind of an unwashed wild tribe which had received civilization from the byzantines
Weren't they? They have brought engineers and scholars from the steppes or wild warriors?

No, they were not that wild as you think. Pliska and Preslav fortificatications as well as bulgarian cities in Caucasus according to Horenatsi, prabulgarian calendar, political construction of the countries that they created and some other stuff points that they were not that wild nomadic tribes as some believe. If one compare them to Byzantium and Roman civilizations the comparison will not be in favour of protobulgarians, of course, but it is incorrect to speak about them as wild tribes.

Edited by Anton - 28-Oct-2006 at 17:09
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 17:08
Saving of the whole Europe by Bulgarians is a sort of Bulgarian national myth. They exist in many countries and are not that bad. I, myself, am more proud of people like Kliment and Naum, Konstantin Preslavski, Ioann Kukuzel and others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>