Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 08:49
I think I heard somewhere that it's a greek word which means something like ....barbarian?????

Actually Bulgaria comes from the turkish "bulg" not exactly sure what it means, I think I've seen the meaning "mixed" giiven somewhere having to do with the many tribes of the area.

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 15:55

What about Ireland? I know the Irish call their country Eire, but what does Eire mean?

And as for Brasil, the country was indeed named after the brasil wood which was the first good that it produced. The word brasil, on the other hand, is related to the word 'brasa', which is an ember, a red-hot coal. 

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 17:35
Originally posted by Achilles

Ireland (in myth) comes from when the Milesians fist came to take the land away from the current gods/people they came across 3 goddessess (Banba, Fotla, and Eriu) the 3rd being the name we use now.

Eriu is Eire

Eire becomes Eireland which is Ireland
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 18:16

DOH!

Didn't see that.

JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 19:17
Originally posted by tzar

Bulgaria from Bulgars. But what does it mean.... I am not sure. I think I heard somewhere that it's a greek word which means something like ....barbarian?????

Sofia /our capital/ from St. Sofia. who had three daughters - Hope, Love and Belief

I hope its not so, because in 1000 years greece will say that todays bulgaria was speaking greek, and that bulgaria is part of greece ... not their first time to claim barbarians to be hellens ...
:}}
JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 21:22
Long before Aleksandar there were ancient Macedonian tribes in central part of today Macedonia than was known as EDONIA. These people had Godess MA, Mather of all Godess. Ma from EDONIA, so there is first known name of the teritory known as MAKEDONIA. MA=MATHER=MAK'A. This Goddess is present in original Jewish Bible as Ma from Edonia
one of the explanations of the name Makedonija
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 02:59
What? I never read that before.
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 04:12
What? I never read that before.

I'm getting the feeling we'll see alot of new "theories" from this guy and his sources (most probably /www.soros.org.mk).
I hope you know who Soros is and what "connections" he has.

Interestingly enough, even though this BS is found in the "Jewish Bible", the "jewish encyclopedia" online has NO reference to this imaginary place called "Edonia".

How about being so kind as to prove me wrong and this drivel to be accurate by posting where exactly can this be found!!!
JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 04:25
And not commenting of the meaning of the name right?
If it has greek menaing, than its greek, but it has Macedonian meaning so?

About how old the language is. Cyril and Metodi, who invented new letters, did not invented the cyrilic letters. They made up "glagolica" That was something new. But it was dissmissed immidiatly from the people. They turned back to the letters they knew and that existed before. Those today are known as cyrilic. As the legend goes it was made up by Cyril's students and named after him. Actually they just changed the older letters with new FONT. It means the letters exited and are found allover balcan and are dated to 3-7.000years B.C. In this time there were no doric or ionic tribes around ...

But this is for some other topic :}
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 04:56

Originally posted by JasSum

But this is for some other topic :}
Yes, for Fantasy land!

In any case, Makednos derives from Greek "Makos" meaning long or tall.

Jews, especially Joshephus clearly mention Macedonians as Greeks and Alexaner as the "Greek king", so let's not go to them, you won't like it...

Cyrrilos and Methodios created the Clatolitic script, to be able to translate the bible from Greek to Slavic and thus Christinize them. However Glatolitic was proven to be too complicated, so their pupils shortened it and altered it a bit, to create the Cyrrilic one. Both alphabets derive from the Greek one.

http://www.ancientscripts.com/glagolitic.html

http://www.ancientscripts.com/cyrillic.html

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 05:44
Im not sure if my country is in a unique position, but its quite remarkable that there are at least four different names for Germany, all representing large language families and all completely un-related to each other:
Deutschland, Duitsland(Dutch), stemming from the old Germanic word for people

Alemania(Spanish),and other Romance languages, from the German tribe Alemannen

Germany, Germania, from the Roman name for its people and country,

Niemcy (Polish) and similar in other Slavic languages, apparently from a Slavic word for dumb, not able to speak( the Slavic lang., I suppose)

And its Saksa in Finnish, from the Sachsen,Saxons.

Does anybody know any more, and has another country a multitude of different names in different languages.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 06:13
''Mongolia'' means eternal fire.
JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 08:19
Interesting name about Mongolia. :}

yianis, my moon if you write on maceodnian will be majmun. It means monkey. So see, if it has some meaning on greek its not greek. Ma comes from Majka - Mather. The name comes from here. We have stutes of the Mather godess all over Macedonia. The belive in the Mather - mather of all gods is deep on this soil. And its dated far far back. Its older than doric and ionic tribes.

So the name comes from Ma Ki Donia
MA - MAther
Ki - Energy (people from far east still use this word)
Donia - Land

Kichma - spine in english.
Ki chmae, where energy is quite.
Dorci (how we call doric people) - dorcho is the most common name for a horse, ane just for a horse. no other creature has a name like that :}
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 08:52
No, just that Macedonia is first used by the Greeks and we have no reffernce prior to them in any other language, so you probably have your "facts" and "examples" all mixed up...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 10:54
Originally posted by Komnenos

Im not sure if my country is in a unique position, but its quite remarkable that there are at least four different names for Germany, all representing large language families and all completely un-related to each other:
Deutschland, Duitsland(Dutch), stemming from the old Germanic word for people

Alemania(Spanish),and other Romance languages, from the German tribe Alemannen

Germany, Germania, from the Roman name for its people and country,

Niemcy (Polish) and similar in other Slavic languages, apparently from a Slavic word for dumb, not able to speak( the Slavic lang., I suppose)

And its Saksa in Finnish, from the Sachsen,Saxons.

Does anybody know any more, and has another country a multitude of different names in different languages.

In scandinavia we call germany "Tyskland". I think it has the same roots as deutschland
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 18:41
Russia is called veneti from those tribe in finland ...
First?
Yanis, Macedonia had its name way before "greeks" ever camed in europe from north africa.
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 19:04
ugh i'm so sick of this macedonian debate spreading to other threads, keep it to the thread about "The Macedonian Question" or whatever its called
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 19:19
The name Macedonia is a region of northern Greece. The name Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia comes from a slavic break away country after the fall of Yugoslavia.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 21:25

Originally posted by JasSum

That name exist just in your head. Ask usa, russia, china, what country they know of? 

Why does it matter if these countries recignize the name? I live in America and no one cares about their new "acceptance of the name." Tehy agree to recignize so more of your soldiers can die instead of American soldiers. Plus, America doesn't recignize any ties to claims of Ancient History of the Macedonians. They wouldn't do this, because they realize they cannot make a claim, such that FYROM has any claims to Ancient Macedonia, because it is simply not true,

Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 00:42

Today's Macedonians are decents of ancient Macedonians as much as today's Greeks of Greece are decents of ancient Greece. 

In addition to this it is nonsense for Greeks to tell the others their identity. You are doing the same thing for the Turks who live in Greece. You are still denying their identities and calling them "Muslim Greeks".........

You are calling yourselves as Hellenes, Hellas.......... Well what is the story of this name. Isn't it an artificial name?

Stop messing with others and live with your own facts which may be ridiculous for others too............. They are not judging you. You can not judge them too.

It is because of Greece today we have a country whose name is Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. This is terrible. You are even interfering the name of their country.  Macedonia is Macedonia. This is so simple but because of your narrow minded, fascist state educational system Greece creates idiot problem such this.

Turkey recognize officially the country as Macedonia. Best wishes to all Macedonians from which some of my ancestors come (they were Turks) from the town Kastoria which is under Greek occupation now in southern Macedonia.   

Edited by Alparslan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>