Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 18:43
You guys were talking about Egypt earlier.. I know in Turkish it is Misir (which is the same word for "corn" i believe)...

I think It would be better if the US actually got a legit. name.  Take some Native word or something, it getting to have the title of "America" is lame....
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 21:20

1. Espaa (Spain) - Actual name, since 1100 AC, when the southern french change the name "Spania"

2. Spania- A deformation of Hispania, since 500 to 1100 AC

3. Hispania- Roman name of Spain (and Portugal), based in the phoenician name for Spain.

4. Spn (Sphan, Sephan, Shaphan, Shphanim...) The phoenician name for Spain (if we read 90% of the theories), with many explanation: the rabbit theory, land of rabbit or land of burrows/ and the geographical theories, the  land of the West (from Phoenicia) or the land of the North (from the phoenician cities in North frica)

bye

Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 00:32

Origins of the names hispano (Hispanic).

According to Espasa-Calpe, the Dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy, hispano comes from a mythological character, whose father was Hispalo, one of Hercules companions who is attributed with having founded the ancient city called Ispalis (or Hispalis). Located on the banks of the Betis River (now the Guadalquivir), Hispalis corresponds to what later became Seville. An important commercial center during the time of the Turdetanians, who came from the ancient city of Turdetania in southern Spain, Hispalis was later a Roman colony under Caesar. Then, under the Goths and Vandals, it became the capital of southern Spain. So the Iberian Peninsula was called Hispania since the Roman era. The word hispnico derives from the Latin Hispanicus and the word Espaa (Spain) stems from the Greek Spania-- a term used first by the Greek geographer Artemidorus as a secondary name for Ispania, which was later changed to Hispania by the Romans. The latter also changed Ispalis to Hispalis. In his Geografia Sacra (1642), the renown French reformist pastor and writer Samuel Bochart explains that if we wish to understand the etymology concerning the word Ispanic, we must look to the language of a people more ancient than the Greeks. He believed Ispania derived from the Phoenician term span, which means "land of rabbits." And, indeed, the reverse side of a coin bearing the image of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, who was born in Spain, reveals Spain symbolized by the figure of a seated woman with a rabbit at her feet. Before the arrival of the Romans, the peninsula was called Iberia, which means "running water" [Editors note: in Greek] and the Iberians established their towns along the river banks or on land between the rivers.

Alot more at :http://www.hellohola.org/mesones/arewelatinos.html

I've heard of some kind of festival that takes place in Seville that has something to do with Hellines and the foundation of the city. Maybe one of the Spanish in here can give more info about this.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 20:10

Of course, there are more theories about the name Spain, that is one; other hypothesis say that Spain is a iberan word; an other hypothesis say that it is a word of the Venetos (umm a people from oriental Alps).

But the most popular hypothesis is "Land of Rabbits"; many scientist said that is impossible, because the phoenician didn't know the rabbit... But, the literal punic name for Spain is "Land of Hyraxes", hyrax is an animal present in Middel East and North Africa, so when phoenicians came to Spain they called to rabbits with the name of a similar animal, the Hyrax.

Here the Hispania's coin (fith): http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/frames.shtml?http://www.mus eumoflondon.org.uk/MOLsite/exhibits/coins/emps08.htm

The history of the name "Iberia" are very large, the greek name for Spain, surelly is most recent than "Sphan" because the greeks arrivaled to Spain after the arrival of the punics. Romans prefer Hispania because were more geographical than Iberia; Iberia was the name of Spain but also the name of many peoples: iberic peoples, only stablished in South and East of the Peninsula.

About Seville, i don't know that festival, but there is a problem: the greeks stablished in northern Mediterranean coast, in Spain since the Pirineos to Ebro or Turia river, and the phoenician since Turia to Algarbe in Portugal. Surelly, if foreign peoples found Seville they were the phoenicians.

http://155.210.60.15/HAnt/Hispania/medocc.jpg

bye

Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 21:06

Originally posted by Turan

You guys were talking about Egypt earlier.. I know in Turkish it is Misir (which is the same word for "corn" i believe)...

I think It would be better if the US actually got a legit. name.  Take some Native word or something, it getting to have the title of "America" is lame....

Canada is just jelous it didn't get that name.

Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 21:21
Interestingly enough we find the Hellinic word "hurax" in texts meaning "shrew-mouse" and in Latin the loan word (one of many) "sorex" (similarity is obvious). You could also visit http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/337.htm
It gives the origin of the word and a description of the animal.

Seville was founded according to what most historians assume by Hellines in the 9th cent. BC, that is why we have the myth of it's foundation by Herakles. Even though there is a foundation theory that mentions the Tartessos but there isn't enough info about them to support it. Seville didn't "fall into" Phoenician hands untill the foundation of Marseille aprox. 7th cent.BC
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 02:46

Originally posted by Hellinas

Seville was founded according to what most historians assume by Hellines in the 9th cent. BC

I don't believe that any of the archaeological evidance at hand suggests that Greek collonization, that far, started anywhere before 6th century BC.

In any case, Greek colonies in Spain were mostly trading posts, it was the Carthagenians who ruled Spain. In excavations in Spain we find bulks of Carthagenian artifacts and only a few Greek.

What are your sources that suggest Greek presence of that extend?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 03:27
Here is the first link I happened to "fall on":
http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/seville.htm
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 09:35

France is named after the Franks. The Germanic ethinicity that absorbed the others.

The "Frank" word means "free people", they were federatis working as mercenaries for the Roman empire. Many of them settled as wanderers in France.

Sometime the southern France is called Occitania, after the language that was once spoken here. Occitan, itself named after the word "oc" meaning yes is the mentioned language in opposition of the French who was using the word "oil". Oc itself is related to "Occident" meaning western in French.

My former province is Gascony, named after its people the Gascons, who are Vascons interbreeded with Visigoths (Goth Vascons).

Edited by Exarchus
Vae victis!
Benceno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benceno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 20:56
Argentina comes from Argentum (silver in latin) because the natives who lived here had plenty of silver stuff.
Another version says that they called it that way thinking there were lots of silver in the country (there ain't that much).

The city (and province) in which I live is called Buenos Aires. The name comes from "Santa Mara del Buen Ayre", the patron saint of sailors.
Hola.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 17:27
Originally posted by Infidel

Brasil - From pau-brasil, a type of vegetation that covered a large deal of the country, though the portuguese called it firstly the lands of Santa Cruz (Holy Cross) and Vera Cruz (True Cross).

Actually, the coutry Brasil was name after a legendary island that was suposed to exist in the middle of the Atlantic. You can find some pre-expansion maps that show that. When the portuguese reached Brasil, they concluded that there was no island after all, but the name caught on...

Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 20:33
Actually the country name BRAZIL comes from from a tree, which was used to dye because of its reddish wood. Also see the Spanish term "brasil" that means "glowing color'
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 14:27
Isle of Man comes from the Celtic god Manannan Mac Lir.(A cletic/Welsh sea god.)

Russia comes from the Rus (which is what the native people calledf the viking explorers and later settlers).

Ireland (in myth) comes from when the Milesians fist came to take the land away from the current gods/people they came across 3 goddessess (Banba, Fotla, and Eriu) the 3rd being the name we use now.
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 20:55
 Rusiy is also a hair collor, the light blonde one that most Scandinavians have.
JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 09:47
interesting that china recognize Macedonia as diferent from "hellenic" world coz there are 2 names for the two different nations.

Ma Qi Dun : Macedonia
Xi La: From Hellas

and about the origin of the name hellens ...
helen - from xelen - from kselen - k selen
k - kaj - where ..
selen - moved - migrated - setled

so they got the name from the tribes that were here before dorians and ioninas arived ... and they gived tham the name settled here - k seleni that later those tribes took as their national name and transformed it to their language - kselen - xelen - helen

And there are 3-4 varians of the origin of the name Macedonia, and if there is some interest, i wuld write it here :}
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 11:43
JasSum

The least you could do is cut the propaganda BS. Take it in the other topic you already turned into a propaganda post.

The pronounciation of the name Hellas has nothing to do with how it is written. Actually it is E-LLAS the "H" is silent used by non-Hellines to asist them in pronounciantion.
Origin of the name already given.

The question you should be asking is how can I connect my Slavic origin to the Hellinic Makedonians?

Makedonia from Makednos first seen in Homer's Odyssey book 7. 106
" phulla makednes aigeiroio"

link:http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseu s:text:1999.01.0135:book=7:card=77

This is the one and only TRUE origin of the word, Makedonia. Post any "variant" you like there is NOT even ONE intelligent reader that will buy your BS!!!
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 14:00
i'm not really sure that this is a true origin, Brasil might come from Hy-Braesail.
it was a celtic elysium.

like i said it is probobly not it's true origin though. just thought it was interesting
JasSum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JasSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 19:23
the term Macedonia is way older than doric and ionian settlers to be name given by them.
but i think we are over about it ...

i am confused just by the name of great britain ... whats so great about it?
:}}}
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 03:02

Bulgaria from Bulgars. But what does it mean.... I am not sure. I think I heard somewhere that it's a greek word which means something like ....barbarian?????

Sofia /our capital/ from St. Sofia. who had three daughters - Hope, Love and Belief

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 08:18
Originally posted by Paul

England is simple Engis old English forAngel.

actually, i think you might be wrong here.

the name comes from the angles. an ancient tribe from schleswig. they immigrated into what is now England after the romans had left. they mixed with the saxons and thus became anglo-saxons it was first called engla-lond which evolved into england!
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>