Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 06:30
I had heard "Pakistan" for the first time was suggested by the Persian-speaking poet Sir Muhammad Iqbal!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 10:09

Saudi Arabia  from their founder King Saud.

Bahrain from the word Bahar which means sea and Bahrain means Two Seas ( that it is surrounded by two seas)

And Arabic name for Egypt is Masr which meant land or country (Old meaning not used usually these days)

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 12:59
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I had heard "Pakistan" for the first time was suggested by the Persian-speaking poet Sir Muhammad Iqbal!

Is that in conjuntion with the modern state, or just per chance using the same word.
Arrrgh!!"
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 14:38

According to this site: http://www.allamaiqbal.com/person/movement/movement.htm

Although his main interests were scholarly, Iqbal was not unconcerned with the political situation of the, country and the political fortunes of the Muslim community of India. Already in 1908, while in England, he had been chosen as a member of the executive council of the newly-established British branch of the Indian Muslim League. In 1931 and 1932 he represented the Muslims of India in the Round Table Conferences held in England to discuss the issue of the political future of India. And in a 1930 lecture Iqbal suggested the creation of a separate homeland for the Muslims of India. Iqbal died (1938) before the creation of Pakistan (1947), but it was his teaching that "spiritually ... has been the chief force behind the creation of Pakistan."

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 15:11
Hmm, intresting. Other sources give the credit to Choudhary Rahmat Ali, who was also active with the Muslim league in England at the time, and went on to be a figure within the Pakistan National Movement. He first introduced the name in a pamphlet back in the 1920s or so.
Arrrgh!!"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 15:21
What was wrong with the old thread, in which the threadstarter posted just some month or two ago?

http://allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84&PN=3

Originally posted by gcle2003

Denmark is the field of the Danes (although 'mark' comes to mean 'outlying' or 'bordering' land), and I have no idea where Sweden - Sverige - comes from.

Danmark means borderland of the Danes. Sweden literally   has the same roots as the native Sverige, Svithiod or Sviariki, meaning Land or Realm of the Swedes, respectively.

By the way, in Denmarkdon't avoid saying CopenhAYgen because it's the English name. Don't say CopenhAAgen unless you want them to think you're German. Try Kerpenhaan if you want to be polite; in fact K'penhaan is better if you can put the stress on the apostrophe.

Portugal comes from the Roman name for Oporto, Portus Cale apparently, so something Gate or Port.

Just try the English version; you need to have porridge in your throat to pronounce the native Kbenhvn anyway.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 13:10
Portugal comes from the latin name for the region where is nowadays the city of Porto, Portus Cale, meaning something like Port (Harbour) of Lime.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 13:25

Brasil - From pau-brasil, a type of vegetation that covered a large deal of the country, though the portuguese called it firstly the lands of Santa Cruz (Holy Cross)and Vera Cruz (True Cross).

Just as the spaniards called their first settlement in Mexico ( La Villa Rica de La Vera Cruz ).

Regards

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 19:12

Infidel, so sorry, Pal.
By trying to reply you, I edited by mistake your post.
Sorry, it was not my intention.
regards

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 11:07
Originally posted by Infidel

Brasil - From pau-brasil, a type of vegetation that covered a large deal of the country, though the portuguese called it firstly the lands of Santa Cruz (Holy Cross) and Vera Cruz (True Cross).

Does that mean the country was named after the nut, rather than vice versa?

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 12:13

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Infidel, so sorry, Pal.
By trying to reply you, I edited by mistake your post.
Sorry, it was not my intention.
regards

No problem. I'll put again what's missing...

The two portuguese autonomous atlantic archipelagoes:

Madeira - literally, wood. When the settlers first set foot on the island, it was all covered with deep woods, up from the mountains down to the seashore. They actually set the island on fire before bringing the colonists in.

Aores - The plural of Aor, a type of bird that apparently inhabited the isles when the portuguese started to colonize them. Somewhat like a hawk.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 12:16

Originally posted by gcle2003

Does that mean the country was named after the nut, rather than vice versa?

Yes, because apparently the "pau-brasil" already existed elsewhere. The country no!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 14:04

The Philippines was named after Spain's King Philip <insert appropriate Roman numerals here>

The name we westerners have for Nippon, Japan, is a corrupted form of the Cantonese word "Jatbun", or so I've been told.

Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 19:07

I recently rean a research article that presented this meaning for the name Egypt: From the Hellinic "AIGYPTOS" that is formed by the words "YPO or YPTIA of the Aegean" and means "under or on the back of the Aegean"

As for the name Greece, it might have been "enforced" by the Romans but we do find Aristotle and Apollodorus that wrote about the "Graeci" that were the "Selle" or "Helle" a Hellinic tribe of Epirus.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 23:45
Originally posted by SlapMagicMonkey

The Philippines was named after Spain's King Philip <insert appropriate Roman numerals here>

The name we westerners have for Nippon, Japan, is a corrupted form of the Cantonese word "Jatbun", or so I've been told.

what was the name before the spanish?

blitz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote blitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 07:38
I  heard, JinGu(china) means "little head" on chinese. Rigt? So do chinese call themselves  "people with little head"?  

Road to wisdom: err, err and err. But less, less and less!
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 09:56
?  It's Zhong Guo...which means middle kingdom.
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 15:52
"Italy" originally comes from the Greek word "Fitalia" which means Land of the cattle. It eventually evolved to "Italia," of course. Ironically though, though Italy's name is originally Greek, the word "Greece" originally came from the Italians, who called the Greek civilization of Southern Italy Magna Graecia, (Greater Greece).

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:06

The actual name of Greece is "Hellenic Republic"

Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 12:16

Imperatore Dario I

I think you mean the Latin "Vitulus", the well known "calf god". If it had any connection to Hellinic, it would have looked more like "Bosporos" from "bous"= ox and "poros"= "generally means pathway or provide" a word applied usually to straits. But when we connect this to the myth of Heracles in Skythia that tells us how he "drove" cattle there the name "bosporos" actually does make sense.

Greece: As I said we do find Aristotle and Apollodorus that wrote about the "Graeci" that were the "Selle" or "Helle" a Hellinic tribe of Epirus.

Hellas: formed by the words "elion"="to grasp, to hold" or "elios"= "sun and the word "laas" = "rock". Most agree on the "sun" version giving the meaning of "land of sun"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>