Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 20:15

http://www.balticsww.com/names.htm

Ok

England is simple Eng is old English for Angel.

Rhodesia, now defunct, was named after South Africa Prime Minister Cecil Rhodes.

China after the 1st emperor, Chin.

Mexico from the Aztec tribal name, Mexica.

America comes from Amerigo Vespucci who discovered it.

Europe from Europa the Pheonicean princess.

Russia from the Rus (Swedish settlers).

Can anyone tell me the meaning of their country's name or any other they know?

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 21:18

Zhong Guo : The middle kingdom, country

De Guo : From De Yi Zhi (deutsch)

Fa Guo : From Fa Lan Xi (France)

Xi La: From Hellas

Xi Ban Ya: From Espana

Pu Tao Ya: From Portugal

Mi Lu: Peru

A Gen Ting : Argentina

A Fu Han : Afghanistan

A La Buo : Arabia

Tu Jue : Turkey

Han Guo : From Dae Han Min Gook

Chao Xian : From Choson, the fresh dawn

Ri Ben : From Nippon, the start of the sun

Ma Qi Dun : Macedonia

Mian Dian : Myanmar, from her capital Vientianne

Yue Nan : Vietnam, over the south

Su Lian : USSR, literally translated as union of soviets

Jian Pu Zhai : Kampuchea

Da Bu Li Dian : The big Bulidian, or Great Britain

He Lan : Holland

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 23:13
Originally posted by sephodwyrm

Mian Dian : Myanmar, from her capital Vientianne

Da Bu Li Dian : The big Bulidian, or Great Britain

That's very interesting Britain is Big Bulidian.

But I think Rangoon is the capital of Myanmar. Vientiane is in Lao (and very nice it is too).

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 03:50
Hmm...yeah, you're right. Now where did Mian Dian come from then?
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 06:59
Netherlands/Nederland: Neder means more or less lower. Because the Netherlands are the 'lower' area of the watershed of several rivers. I don't think 'nether' means something in English, so 'Lower Lands' would have been a better translation. (Compare with Niedersachsen in Germany, which translates as Lower Saxony).

The plural (Netherlands instead of Netherland) comes from the fact that the Netherlands were a loose federation, the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands, until 1795.

Holland: Etymology unsure. It means probably low or wooded land.

Dutch: From Ancient Dutch word 'Diets', meaning 'of the people', 'popular'. Compare with 'Deutsch'. Dutch means Nederlands in Dutch, German means Duits in Dutch.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 07:18

In Estonian we call the Netherlands Madalmaad which means Low-lands!!!

I don't know much, but it seems logical that Estonia comes from East land or something to do with east, as our conquerers came from the west and therefore gave us the name of that kind.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 15:29

I don't think 'nether' means something in English

Actually, I've used that word on several occasions.

nether  (nthr)
adj.
Located beneath or below; lower or under: the nether regions of the earth.

[Middle English, from Old English neothera, from neother, down.]

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 18:16
There is a funny story about the origin of Canada. When Jacques Cartier came to Canada he mistook the world "Kanata", as being a native nation like the ojibwa, but the native who he was talking to was refering to a village. So the word "Kanata", which eventually evolved into Canada means village. Nice story I think.
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 21:38

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

There is a funny story about the origin of Canada. When Jacques Cartier came to Canada he mistook the world "Kanata", as being a native nation like the ojibwa, but the native who he was talking to was refering to a village. So the word "Kanata", which eventually evolved into Canada means village. Nice story I think.

Yeah as far as I am concerned Canada is a village compared to the US.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 04:11

I heard a funny joke about how Canadians invented their country name...

Canadians were trying to figure out what to name their country, so they started drawing letters out of a hat. As they drew the letters, they read them out loud, "'C' eh. 'N' eh. 'D' eh." And the Canadians got their name.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 05:09
Well, i suppose its time for another one

Wales - from a Saxon word meaning foriegner/outsider; Native name - Cymru, land of the Cymry, land of the compatriots inother words, like many countries, its name is effectivly derived from a word implying 'people'.

Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 08:11
india is linked to river indus by greeks and persian called it hind from river sind at that time they did  sound their s..s as h..s
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 13:56
anyone know how Burkino Faso got its name?
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 15:01
Originally posted by Tobodai

anyone know how Burkino Faso got its name?

It means "the land of upright people". President Thomas Sankara gave the country that name in 1984. Before 1984 it was called Upper Volta.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 16:46

Yeah as far as I am concerned Canada is a village compared to the US.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see how that has anything to do with it. There are many advantages to living in Canada over the U.S. Does size imply anything about a certain country. If you want to debate politics there is another forum for that. You just shouldn't say things like that which may be interpreted as disparaging. So next time be for considerate.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 16:48

I heard a funny joke about how Canadians invented their country name...

Canadians were trying to figure out what to name their country, so they started drawing letters out of a hat. As they drew the letters, they read them out loud, "'C' eh. 'N' eh. 'D' eh." And the Canadians got their name.

[/QUOTE]

That is a funny joke, perhaps that's the origin of that. Apparently, when the U.S. was gaining independence from the British they were considering naming their new country The United States of Columbia to honour Christopher Columbus.

mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 20:48

That is a funny joke, perhaps that's the origin of that. Apparently, when the U.S. was gaining independence from the British they were considering naming their new country The United States of Columbia to honour Christopher Columbus.

Dam we should have named it as such. The actual name of Mexico is the United States of Mexico. USA is an obnoxiously inclusive name. Canada should have been named the United States of Leif Eriksson

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:27

perhaps it should be the USAV United States of Amergo Vesspucci, that would at least sound more exotic.

-Alexander Hamilton
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:34

Canada was an Algonquin word by the way, same with Kebec (Quebec).

Egypt, comes from the Greek word Aegyptos, which I have no idea why they called it that.

Also: Khemme, which in the ancient Egyptian language means black land.

And, Massre, the arabic name, which is derived from the biblical character Mizraim, the supposed ancestor of the Egyptians.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 01:09
I thought it was spelled 'Misr'
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>