Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"luk" in Turkish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "luk" in Turkish
    Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:39
sorry I got it all wrong..what is the origin of emrah then?
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:26
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.

So why does our relatives in Central Asia use the word "eje" for mother and "ata" for fother unlike Anatolian Turks? Is this also a coincidence or evolution of words, what do you think? And these words, baba or ana, are neither loaned from Arabic, Persian, Greek or any other. Because you cannot change such fundemental vocabulary of human life by simple loaning. The first words which a baby learns after his birth are these words, which are originally Luwian words, which are Turkish words, but not Altaic words.

Dear Bashibozuk,

We Uyghurs use Ana (or Apa) for mother and Dada (or Ata) for father. Bowa (which is related with Baba) for grand father.  Even if these words are very basic,  they are the most easy to be changed. That's why you can see different naming in other Turkic groups. So it's really difficult to trace the originality of these words.

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:30
Originally posted by erci

In Uyghur Turkish we use a similar word "Amraq", I don't know if it is related to the "emrah".  The meaning is "Like".

Men Putbolgha bek Amraq.

I like football very much.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

I was wondering what exactly it meant. The word has passed down to us Albanians but I tend to think we use it to a different context. I know Turks call us Arvanuts and Albania Arnavutluk, which makes me think it means something along the lines of "istan" is Persian. But in Albania we use it a bit differently, for instance someone from say the region of Skrapar is called "Skraparlok" detoniting a Person from Skrapar. its also used as a way to demean you and the area your from. For instance calling somebody a "skraparluk" would actually be demeaning to him for coming from that area.

Skraparluk????It doesnt exist in any albanian idiom this "luk". We borrowed from turkish, but not the "luk", the "li" and we don't use it always. It is Skraparli, Elbasanli etc. But it is used only in few areas. In other regions it is used the "iot" or the "it" that is borrowed from greek, in other regions the "an" and in other "ak" or "ar".
Prej heshtjes...!
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:25
Originally posted by barbar

Originally posted by erci

In Uyghur Turkish we use a similar word "Amraq", I don't know if it is related to the "emrah".  The meaning is "Like".

Men Putbolgha bek Amraq.

I like football very much.

In old Turkic Amraq used to mean someone in desire of a pussy, someone horny , a woman wanting person, a woman liking person.
Amramaq meant : to want to f.ck
Its derivative in modern Anatolian Turkish is the name Emre, Yunus Emre
So Emre means someone who wants a woman
But I do not know what is the origin and meaning of emrah. Sorry.

Edited by Tangriberdi - 31-May-2006 at 16:26
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 02:59
Yes, Em is female genital in Turkic, and we also use Emchek for breast. We should be able to find some words with suffix rak, raq, or rah which means liking something to prove that it is the root. Confusingly enough, Emchi is doctor or pharmacist in Turkic. 

I think the origin of this word is Emla (a verb with the meaning of giving pleasure, surely you can get pleasure by playing with Em or Am). This verb is still being used in medicine related field. R and L can be interchanged easily, and it's possible to become Emra. Adding q is common to make a noun or adjective from the verb. So came the word Emraq or Amraq, which has a meaning of "fond of".

A similar example in Uyghur,

Pay (foot step, or something related to the foot)-------Payla (go after some one)---------paylaq (this type of action)----------------Paylaqchi (someone who does this action)

Edited by barbar - 04-Jun-2006 at 03:03
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 19:39

Yes, Em is female genital in Turkic, and we also use Emchek for breast. We should be able to find some words with suffix rak, raq, or rah which means liking something to prove that it is the root. Confusingly enough, Emchi is doctor or pharmacist in Turkic. 

I think the origin of this word is Emla (a verb with the meaning of giving pleasure, surely you can get pleasure by playing with Em or Am). This verb is still being used in medicine related field. R and L can be interchanged easily, and it's possible to become Emra. Adding q is common to make a noun or adjective from the verb. So came the word Emraq or Amraq, which has a meaning of "fond of".

A similar example in Uyghur,

Pay (foot step, or something related to the foot)-------Payla (go after some one)---------paylaq (this type of action)----------------Paylaqchi (someone who does this action)

Emchek can be found as Emjek in colloquial(dialects) and literary(standard İstanbulite written language) variations  of Anatolian Turkish. But it is almost obsolete, some elder people(aksakal) and some educated people can remember or know this word here in Turkey. Instead of emjek , meme is more widespread nowadays.
Em- is the root of the verb to suck . And all the words you mentioned are about sucking.
Am-female genital organ, includes the male sexual organ during sex Thus it sucks or absorbs it.
On the other hand, em, medicine or drug is taken into your body via mouth so it is sucked, absorbed and swallowed . So it can be related to the verb emmek.
Em is any herb used to cure people in old Turkic.
Therefore Emchi is seller or provider of an ' em'
So emlemek , as you say can also mean giving drugs, medicine, or treating with  herbs used by old emchis.. What you say in the rest is what I totally agree.

By the way my qarindash ( sibling, one who shares the same womb or the one given birth from the same womb)
The rest comes in Anatolian Turkish:
Adin ne?
Nerelisin? (Ne yerlisin?)
Uygur musun?
Yaşin kach(qancha?)?
I wish there would be common standard language that we could understand each other hundred percent.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 00:17

You are right, actually I fogot to notice the verb Em. We use it for sucking. So Am is noun, and Em is verb. Interstingly, when talking to little kids we use memeq instead emchek.

Surely Qerindash (the way we uyghurs say), I can understand 100% of what you write.  Uyghur version (in semi polite way):

Isminingiz (Atingiz) nime?
Neliksiz (Qayerliksiz)?
Uyghur musiz?
Qanche yashqa kirdingiz? (Siz qanche yash?)

I also wish there is  a common language for us, INSHAALLAH.

Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 05:11
Very interesting topic,i wonder that doesn't "Arnavutluk" word mean what place  albanian people lives?May be Ottomans described such?
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 10:24
Originally posted by Giordano

Very interesting topic,i wonder that doesn't "Arnavutluk" word mean what place  albanian people lives?May be Ottomans described such?
yes it does, and yes they did. LOL
Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 10:44
Originally posted by Tangriberdi

Originally posted by Giordano

yes it does, and yes they did. LOL

Everythings ok,but i couldn't see why you laugh?
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 16:53

I laugh because We wrote about that fact before  and you missed to read it. Please forgive me. I did never mean to mock or to insult you.. Sorry

Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by Tangriberdi

I laugh because We wrote about that fact before  and you missed to read it. Please forgive me. I did never mean to mock or to insult you.. Sorry

Sorry,friend,i read but missed really,read again and saw the sentence...
Embarrassed
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 23:45
I forgot to clarify above. In Uyghur Turkish we use three forms as normal, semi polite and polite for "YOU".  and the structure of the verb should be changed accordingly.

Normal:       "Sen" used for close friends, guys and family members.
Semi polite: "Siz" used for peers not close, and between boys and girls.
Polite:          "Sili"  used by younger people for elders.

There are exceptions though. In some regions, polite form is used in wider scale.

eg: Hace you recognized me?

Sen meni tonudungmu?  
Siz meni tonudunguzmu?
Sili meni tonudulamu?

Who are you?

Sen kim bolisen? (zeng kim bolisen?) (zeng kimsen?)
Siz kim bolisiz? (zingiz kim bolisiz?)
Sili kim bolila? (zliri kim bolila?)

Edited by barbar - 06-Jun-2006 at 23:46
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 04:14

In Anatolian Turkish We have Sen, Siz ve Sizler

Sen is used for close friends, in informal speech.
Siz is semi polite, used  for close friends when talking to them in plural. I mean there are two friends of you with you. And you address them as siz.
E.g. Sizi uzun zamandır grmedim. İkiniz nerelerde idiniz?
I have not seen you for a long time. Where have you two been?
Siz also used for polite addresses.
E.g. Size yardım edebilir miyim?
May I help you?
Mistakenly it is usually used instead of sizler.

And sizler is also a semi poite address. Sizler is used when the number of people is more than two.
E.g.
Ey Trkler, sizler yigit bir milletin ocuklarısınız
Oh Turks you all are the children of a brave and courageous nation.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 22:56

In Uyghur, Sizler is polite form of Siler, plural YOU.

Oyge kiringizler! (Please enter the house.)

Kelginingizlerge kp rexmet. (Many thanks for your comimg.)

Kp is used as many.

Bu kitapni setiwalidighanlar kpmu? (Are there many people who buy the book?)

Jiq is used as much.

Bek jiq bolup ketti. (It's too much)
Uning puli jiq emes. (He doesn't have a lot of money.)

Bek means very or too. It has a form of Bekla with stronger meaning.

We also use Nahayiti, Intayin etc loan words.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 13:45

Barbar, I was about ot ask you something. I think this is the right place to do the action. How do you say 'I don't understand' in Uyghur? I want to know about the structure you use. And please tell me if you use 'chushunemmu'? What is the tense you use here exactly?

You know, we say 'kitemoq' which means 'I haven't gone'. I think you use something ilke 'ketemmu' or 'kitemmu'. Huh?
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 13:57

We don't use the plural form when ordering as you mentioned. We say 'oy ge kiringiz'. And mostly 'keltigingiz ke' instead of 'kelgeningiz ge'.

Many is 'kop, kegen (or ken), choq, pek, qatiq' and a few more words which are not as frequent as formerly mentioned words.

'buyer' is 'satinalqan'. And the interesting thing is that 'chiq' (as a suffix) or 'chik' means 'few' and used to decrease a quality or quantity: 'oghlon chiq' (a very young child), 'oy chuk' (a very small house).

And different forms of (the orignal form) 'ermek' are:
e(r)mes= is not, are not.
e(r)ken= is, are
e(r)ti= was, were

'degil' is also used as negative form to mean 'is not' or 'are not':
koryaning kishi, Iltirish degil (the person you see is not Iltirish).

Is 'degil' used in Uyghur Barbar?
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 16:18

In Uyghur, Sizler is polite form of Siler, plural YOU.

Oyge kiringizler! (Please enter the house.)

Kelginingizlerge kp rexmet. (Many thanks for your comimg.)

Kp is used as many.

Bu kitapni setiwalidighanlar kpmu? (Are there many people who buy the book?)

Jiq is used as much.

Bek jiq bolup ketti. (It's too much)
Uning puli jiq emes. (He doesn't have a lot of money.)

Bek means very or too. It has a form of Bekla with stronger meaning.

We also use Nahayiti, Intayin etc loan words.

Siler is used just as an address in Anatolia.  At the verbs used with sizler ve make the endings as in siz.
The Sentences in Turkish as in order you listed
 Eve giriniz.
Geldighiniz iin chok teshekkurler.
Chok is many
Bu kitabi satin alanlar chok mu?
Fazla(Arabic) and pek (bek in Uygur?) are much.
Bu fazla oldu.
Onun parasi pek yok
We use Hayli(quite) from Persian.
Epey is quite
Olancha is quite, as much as
Looking forward to more you can send.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 23:30
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Barbar, I was about ot ask you something. I think this is the right place to do the action. How do you say 'I don't understand' in Uyghur? I want to know about the structure you use. And please tell me if you use 'chushunemmu'? What is the tense you use here exactly?

You know, we say 'kitemoq' which means 'I haven't gone'. I think you use something ilke 'ketemmu' or 'kitemmu'. Huh?

We say,

Men chshenmidim.(I didn't understand)
Men chshnelmidim. (I couldn't manage to understand)
Men chshenmeymen. (I'm in a situation of not understanding)
So on.

Men ketmedim. (I haven't gone)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>