Forum Discription: Discuss linguistics: the study of languages
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11685
Printed Date: 13-May-2024 at 22:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "luk" in Turkish
Posted By: Theodore Felix
Subject: "luk" in Turkish
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 22:35
I was wondering what exactly it meant. The word has passed down to us Albanians but I tend to think we use it to a different context. I know Turks call us Arvanuts and Albania Arnavutluk, which makes me think it means something along the lines of "istan" is Persian. But in Albania we use it a bit differently, for instance someone from say the region of Skrapar is called "Skraparlok" detoniting a Person from Skrapar. its also used as a way to demean you and the area your from. For instance calling somebody a "skraparluk" would actually be demeaning to him for coming from that area.

Replies:
Posted By: Tangriberdi
Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 11:29

It is a suffix(-lyk, -lik, -luk, -lük and corrupted form of its is -ly, -li, -lu, -lü) which makes nous from adjectives and with the corrupted form it makes adjectives from nouns.

So Arnavut means Albanian and Arnavutluk means Being Albanian, The place belonging to  Albanians, Albaniandom, Albanianship, Albaniannness. Or like this.

Istanbul, where you know. Istanbullu means one from Istanbul. Inhabitant of Istanbul. One dwelling in Istanbul.

In Turkish Isvicre means Switzerland Isvicreli means one of Switzerland, one from Switzerland, belonging to switzerland.

In Turkish biber means pepper. biberli means something  containing pepper, with pepper

Su> water, Sulu>Watery, containing water and with water.

It is a really productive suffix.

Türk means Turk, Turkish

Türklük means Being a Turk, Being Turkish, Turkishness.

Hristiyan means Christian,  Hristiyanlyk means Christianity, Christendom, Christian world.

I hope, now you can understand it.

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 12:38
Arnavutluk:

1. Albania

2. Being an Albanian

Tangriberdi, I think Theodore Felix was talking about the first meaning.

Posted By: Bashibozuk
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 06:40

Istanbul, where you know. Istanbullu means one from Istanbul. Inhabitant of Istanbul. One dwelling in Istanbul.

Actually, the "li" suffix in Turkish has a total mystery of origin. It may either be a corrupt version of an original Turkic suffix, or a foreign one.

I don't know if this is a coincidence but the "li" suffix was also used for the same meaning in Hittite language. For example the name "Hattushili", the Hittite king who fought Ramses II during the Battle of Kadesh, means "the one from the city of 'Hattusha'", just like we still use it today. I wonder how that suffix and many Hittite words have survived until modern days...

-------------
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.

Posted By: barbar
Date Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:32

In Uyghur Turkish we use "liq, lik, luq, luk" for "from", like Qeshqerliq, Aqsuluq, Hotenlik, Bugurluk. They only have a meaning of "from". I think this demeaning resulted from one place of people's opinions towards other people from different region. This has nothing to do with the original language formation.

-------------
Either make a history or become a history.

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:38
Originally posted by barbar

In Uyghur Turkish we use "liq, lik, luq, luk" for "from", like Qeshqerliq, Aqsuluq, Hotenlik, Bugurluk. They only have a meaning of "from". I think this demeaning resulted from one place of people's opinions towards other people from different region. This has nothing to do with the original language formation.

Hmmm should it be like this then:
in english: "Mahmud from kashgar"
in Turkish; "Kashgar'li Mahmud"
in Uygur(?); "Kashgar'lik Mahmud" <-- is it correct?

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 21:58
You are right, we say Qashqerliq Mahmud for "Mahmud from Qeshqer".

But that scholar is called "Mehmud Qeshqeri" as it's a pen name, just like Uzluq Al-Farabi, Ehmed Yukneki, Alishir Nawai etc due to Islamic influence.  

You can also say for "I'm from Qeshqer":

Men Qeshqerliq.
Men Qeshqerdin.

They have the same meaning with a slight difference. The first can be answered to "Siz (sen) nelik(qayerlik)"? the latter can be answered to "Siz (sen) nedin (qayerdin)"?

-------------

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 12:13
So this linguistic difference between our languages proves that my hypotesis seems to be true...Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:23
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Actually, the "li" suffix in Turkish has a total mystery of origin. It may either be a corrupt version of an original Turkic suffix, or a foreign one.

I don't know if this is a coincidence but the "li" suffix was also used for the same meaning in Hittite language. For example the name "Hattushili", the Hittite king who fought Ramses II during the Battle of Kadesh, means "the one from the city of 'Hattusha'", just like we still use it today. I wonder how that suffix and many Hittite words have survived until modern days...

What you say above is not entirely true. It is a derivative of old suffix -luq/-lük,/-lyq, -lik. Pick any of them in accordance with the vowel harmony.
I will take the  -luq.
-luq is the oldest recorded form.
In other texts  and inscriptions closer to our day. It has the forms of -luq>-lug> -lugh>-lu.
it has nothing to do with the hittite. They are irrelevant. Because until 17th c. there was no -lu or -li in Turkish spoken in Turkey. It was -luq or-lik  in all cases. From then on it has been corrupted somehow now we have li lu ü etc...
You know there is no difference in rahmetli or rahmetlik in meaning. It is a dialectal difference of utterance.

MY UYGHUR BROTHER, LUQ in UYGHUR TURKISH and LU in TURKISH SPOKEN IN TURKEY ARE THE SAME IN ORIGIN. BUT ANATOLIAN ONE IS CORRUPTED ONE:
That is all.

Bashibozuk, we have almost no Hittite word in our languaged do not be ridiculous.

I am repeating myself.
What you say is not entirely true. It is definitely a corrupt form. This has been a proven fact since all the texts and inscriptions confirm such a development in Anatolian Oghuz Language.

Make sure that it is definitely a coincidence. It has nothing to do with Hittite language. They did not. We have almost no words which are Hittite in origin. This is just ridiculous. How can you say that Hittite words survived although they did not. Give me examle if any of them did, and still used in Anatolian Turkish.
That is a refutable claim. Nothing else.

AND MY UYGHUR BORTHER.
The aforesaid suffix is the same as in your Turkish language.  The one in our Turkish language is the corrupt form . That is all.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:23
[

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:35
[

Date Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:14
Bashibozuk, we have almost no Hittite word in our languaged do not be ridiculous.

Actually, we have some of our most basic words from Luwian language (Lycian, Paphlagonian etc.) For example "Ana/anne" in Turkish (hañna in  Lycian, Lydian, Hittite, anna in Paphlagonian etc.) means mother. And "baba" means father. Smile 

BTW, do you know what is the origin of the name "Emrah"?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2006 at 16:04
Not actually , neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.
Emrah? I know this name but I have no idea about its meaning.

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 28-May-2006 at 16:12
Emrah Saz çalıp oynayan
 emrah means He who plays the saz and dances.
 I think it's old turkish or turkic
i got i from this urlhttp://kimim.com/anlamsoz/anlamlar/isim/eisime.htm

btw In iranian father is baba also right?

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 29-May-2006 at 11:07
neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.

So why does our relatives in Central Asia use the word "eje" for mother and "ata" for fother unlike Anatolian Turks? Is this also a coincidence or evolution of words, what do you think? And these words, baba or ana, are neither loaned from Arabic, Persian, Greek or any other. Because you cannot change such fundemental vocabulary of human life by simple loaning. The first words which a baby learns after his birth are these words, which are originally Luwian words, which are Turkish words, but not Altaic words.

-------------

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:21
I agree with Bashibozuk on the Ana-Baba issue. There is no traces in Altaic etymology about Ana-Baba, I have checked it. But as Bashibozuk said, we have a strong proof that they are of anatolian languages origin.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-May-2006 at 17:26
What whas the meaning of the name "Sibel"? Whasnt this name an "anatolian" God or something?

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 29-May-2006 at 18:36

neither Ana nor BAba is Luwian or something like that. They are of Altaic  origins.

So why does our relatives in Central Asia use the word "eje" for mother and "ata" for fother unlike Anatolian Turks? Is this also a coincidence or evolution of words, what do you think? And these words, baba or ana, are neither loaned from Arabic, Persian, Greek or any other. Because you cannot change such fundemental vocabulary of human life by simple loaning. The first words which a baby learns after his birth are these words, which are originally Luwian words, which are Turkish words, but not Altaic words.
ana is Altaic, can be found also in Hungarian as a heritage from Old Turkic.
Yes ata  means  father but remember that in many Turkish dialects baba is used for grandfather.
I mean Baba can be non Altaic but Ana is definitely.
Baba should be of an Indo Aryan origin.

Date Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:04
I mean Baba can be non Altaic but Ana is definitely.

It is IE by origin, or maybe Hattic.

-------------

Posted By: erci
Date Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:29
so what does Emrah mean? it sounds semitic to me

-------------
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"

Date Posted: 30-May-2006 at 10:39
sorry I got it all wrong..what is the origin of emrah then?

-------------

Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:26

Dear Bashibozuk,

We Uyghurs use Ana (or Apa) for mother and Dada (or Ata) for father. Bowa (which is related with Baba) for grand father.  Even if these words are very basic,  they are the most easy to be changed. That's why you can see different naming in other Turkic groups. So it's really difficult to trace the originality of these words.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:30
Originally posted by erci

In Uyghur Turkish we use a similar word "Amraq", I don't know if it is related to the "emrah".  The meaning is "Like".

Men Putbolgha bek Amraq.

I like football very much.

-------------

Posted By: Arbër Z
Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 15:23
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

I was wondering what exactly it meant. The word has passed down to us Albanians but I tend to think we use it to a different context. I know Turks call us Arvanuts and Albania Arnavutluk, which makes me think it means something along the lines of "istan" is Persian. But in Albania we use it a bit differently, for instance someone from say the region of Skrapar is called "Skraparlok" detoniting a Person from Skrapar. its also used as a way to demean you and the area your from. For instance calling somebody a "skraparluk" would actually be demeaning to him for coming from that area.

Skraparluk????It doesnt exist in any albanian idiom this "luk". We borrowed from turkish, but not the "luk", the "li" and we don't use it always. It is Skraparli, Elbasanli etc. But it is used only in few areas. In other regions it is used the "iot" or the "it" that is borrowed from greek, in other regions the "an" and in other "ak" or "ar".

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:25

Originally posted by erci

In Uyghur Turkish we use a similar word "Amraq", I don't know if it is related to the "emrah".  The meaning is "Like".

Men Putbolgha bek Amraq.

I like football very much.

In old Turkic Amraq used to mean someone in desire of a pussy, someone horny , a woman wanting person, a woman liking person.
Amramaq meant : to want to f.ck
Its derivative in modern Anatolian Turkish is the name Emre, Yunus Emre
So Emre means someone who wants a woman
But I do not know what is the origin and meaning of emrah. Sorry.

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 02:59
Yes, Em is female genital in Turkic, and we also use Emchek for breast. We should be able to find some words with suffix rak, raq, or rah which means liking something to prove that it is the root. Confusingly enough, Emchi is doctor or pharmacist in Turkic. 

I think the origin of this word is Emla (a verb with the meaning of giving pleasure, surely you can get pleasure by playing with Em or Am). This verb is still being used in medicine related field. R and L can be interchanged easily, and it's possible to become Emra. Adding q is common to make a noun or adjective from the verb. So came the word Emraq or Amraq, which has a meaning of "fond of".

A similar example in Uyghur,

Pay (foot step, or something related to the foot)-------Payla (go after some one)---------paylaq (this type of action)----------------Paylaqchi (someone who does this action)

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 19:39

Yes, Em is female genital in Turkic, and we also use Emchek for breast. We should be able to find some words with suffix rak, raq, or rah which means liking something to prove that it is the root. Confusingly enough, Emchi is doctor or pharmacist in Turkic. 

I think the origin of this word is Emla (a verb with the meaning of giving pleasure, surely you can get pleasure by playing with Em or Am). This verb is still being used in medicine related field. R and L can be interchanged easily, and it's possible to become Emra. Adding q is common to make a noun or adjective from the verb. So came the word Emraq or Amraq, which has a meaning of "fond of".

A similar example in Uyghur,

Pay (foot step, or something related to the foot)-------Payla (go after some one)---------paylaq (this type of action)----------------Paylaqchi (someone who does this action)

Emchek can be found as Emjek in colloquial(dialects) and literary(standard İstanbulite written language) variations  of Anatolian Turkish. But it is almost obsolete, some elder people(aksakal) and some educated people can remember or know this word here in Turkey. Instead of emjek , meme is more widespread nowadays.
Em- is the root of the verb to suck . And all the words you mentioned are about sucking.
Am-female genital organ, includes the male sexual organ during sex Thus it sucks or absorbs it.
On the other hand, em, medicine or drug is taken into your body via mouth so it is sucked, absorbed and swallowed . So it can be related to the verb emmek.
Em is any herb used to cure people in old Turkic.
Therefore Emchi is seller or provider of an ' em'
So emlemek , as you say can also mean giving drugs, medicine, or treating with  herbs used by old emchis.. What you say in the rest is what I totally agree.

By the way my qarindash ( sibling, one who shares the same womb or the one given birth from the same womb)
The rest comes in Anatolian Turkish:
Adin ne?
Nerelisin? (Ne yerlisin?)
Uygur musun?
Yaşin kach(qancha?)?
I wish there would be common standard language that we could understand each other hundred percent.

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 00:17

You are right, actually I fogot to notice the verb Em. We use it for sucking. So Am is noun, and Em is verb. Interstingly, when talking to little kids we use memeq instead emchek.

Surely Qerindash (the way we uyghurs say), I can understand 100% of what you write.  Uyghur version (in semi polite way):

Isminingiz (Atingiz) nime?
Neliksiz (Qayerliksiz)?
Uyghur musiz?
Qanche yashqa kirdingiz? (Siz qanche yash?)

I also wish there is  a common language for us, INSHAALLAH.

-------------

Posted By: Giordano
Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 05:11
Very interesting topic,i wonder that doesn't "Arnavutluk" word mean what place  albanian people lives?May be Ottomans described such?

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 10:24
Originally posted by Giordano

Very interesting topic,i wonder that doesn't "Arnavutluk" word mean what place  albanian people lives?May be Ottomans described such?
yes it does, and yes they did. LOL

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 10:44
Originally posted by Tangriberdi

Originally posted by Giordano

yes it does, and yes they did. LOL

Everythings ok,but i couldn't see why you laugh?

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 16:53

I laugh because We wrote about that fact before  and you missed to read it. Please forgive me. I did never mean to mock or to insult you.. Sorry

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 18:03

I laugh because We wrote about that fact before  and you missed to read it. Please forgive me. I did never mean to mock or to insult you.. Sorry

Sorry,friend,i read but missed really,read again and saw the sentence...
Embarrassed

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 23:45
I forgot to clarify above. In Uyghur Turkish we use three forms as normal, semi polite and polite for "YOU".  and the structure of the verb should be changed accordingly.

Normal:       "Sen" used for close friends, guys and family members.
Semi polite: "Siz" used for peers not close, and between boys and girls.
Polite:          "Sili"  used by younger people for elders.

There are exceptions though. In some regions, polite form is used in wider scale.

eg: Hace you recognized me?

Sen meni tonudungmu?  
Siz meni tonudunguzmu?
Sili meni tonudulamu?

Who are you?

Sen kim bolisen? (Özeng kim bolisen?) (Özeng kimsen?)
Siz kim bolisiz? (Özingiz kim bolisiz?)
Sili kim bolila? (Özliri kim bolila?)

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 04:14

In Anatolian Turkish We have Sen, Siz ve Sizler

Sen is used for close friends, in informal speech.
Siz is semi polite, used  for close friends when talking to them in plural. I mean there are two friends of you with you. And you address them as siz.
E.g. Sizi uzun zamandır görmedim. İkiniz nerelerde idiniz?
I have not seen you for a long time. Where have you two been?
Siz also used for polite addresses.
E.g. Size yardım edebilir miyim?
May I help you?
Mistakenly it is usually used instead of sizler.

And sizler is also a semi poite address. Sizler is used when the number of people is more than two.
E.g.
Ey Türkler, sizler yigit bir milletin çocuklarısınız
Oh Turks you all are the children of a brave and courageous nation.

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 22:56

In Uyghur, Sizler is polite form of Siler, plural YOU.

Oyge kiringizler! (Please enter the house.)

Kelginingizlerge köp rexmet. (Many thanks for your comimg.)

Köp is used as many.

Bu kitapni setiwalidighanlar köpmu? (Are there many people who buy the book?)

Jiq is used as much.

Bek jiq bolup ketti. (It's too much)
Uning puli jiq emes. (He doesn't have a lot of money.)

Bek means very or too. It has a form of Bekla with stronger meaning.

We also use Nahayiti, Intayin etc loan words.

-------------

Posted By: gok_toruk
Date Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 13:45

Barbar, I was about ot ask you something. I think this is the right place to do the action. How do you say 'I don't understand' in Uyghur? I want to know about the structure you use. And please tell me if you use 'chushunemmu'? What is the tense you use here exactly?

You know, we say 'kitemoq' which means 'I haven't gone'. I think you use something ilke 'ketemmu' or 'kitemmu'. Huh?

-------------
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.

Date Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 13:57

We don't use the plural form when ordering as you mentioned. We say 'oy ge kiringiz'. And mostly 'keltigingiz ke' instead of 'kelgeningiz ge'.

Many is 'kop, kegen (or ken), choq, pek, qatiq' and a few more words which are not as frequent as formerly mentioned words.

'buyer' is 'satinalqan'. And the interesting thing is that 'chiq' (as a suffix) or 'chik' means 'few' and used to decrease a quality or quantity: 'oghlon chiq' (a very young child), 'oy chuk' (a very small house).

And different forms of (the orignal form) 'ermek' are:
e(r)mes= is not, are not.
e(r)ken= is, are
e(r)ti= was, were

'degil' is also used as negative form to mean 'is not' or 'are not':
koryaning kishi, Iltirish degil (the person you see is not Iltirish).

Is 'degil' used in Uyghur Barbar?

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 16:18

In Uyghur, Sizler is polite form of Siler, plural YOU.

Oyge kiringizler! (Please enter the house.)

Kelginingizlerge köp rexmet. (Many thanks for your comimg.)

Köp is used as many.

Bu kitapni setiwalidighanlar köpmu? (Are there many people who buy the book?)

Jiq is used as much.

Bek jiq bolup ketti. (It's too much)
Uning puli jiq emes. (He doesn't have a lot of money.)

Bek means very or too. It has a form of Bekla with stronger meaning.

We also use Nahayiti, Intayin etc loan words.

Siler is used just as an address in Anatolia.  At the verbs used with sizler ve make the endings as in siz.
The Sentences in Turkish as in order you listed
 Eve giriniz.
Geldighiniz için chok teshekkurler.
Chok is many
Bu kitabi satin alanlar chok mu?
Fazla(Arabic) and pek (bek in Uygur?) are much.
Bu fazla oldu.
Onun parasi pek yok
We use Hayli(quite) from Persian.
Epey is quite
Olancha is quite, as much as
Looking forward to more you can send.

Date Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 23:30
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Barbar, I was about ot ask you something. I think this is the right place to do the action. How do you say 'I don't understand' in Uyghur? I want to know about the structure you use. And please tell me if you use 'chushunemmu'? What is the tense you use here exactly?

You know, we say 'kitemoq' which means 'I haven't gone'. I think you use something ilke 'ketemmu' or 'kitemmu'. Huh?

We say,

Men chüshenmidim.(I didn't understand)
Men chüshünelmidim. (I couldn't manage to understand)
Men chüshenmeymen. (I'm in a situation of not understanding)
So on.

Men ketmedim. (I haven't gone)

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 23:41
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Many is 'kop, kegen (or ken), choq, pek, qatiq' and a few more words which are not as frequent as formerly mentioned words.

'buyer' is 'satinalqan'. And the interesting thing is that 'chiq' (as a suffix) or 'chik' means 'few' and used to decrease a quality or quantity: 'oghlon chiq' (a very young child), 'oy chuk' (a very small house).

In Uyghur., Chong and Kichik are used for big and small. We also use Zor, Büyük, Yüksek with slight difference.

Interestingly, kückük is puppy.

Yash and Qeri are used for young and old.

For few, we use Az.

And different forms of (the orignal form) 'ermek' are:
e(r)mes= is not, are not.
e(r)ken= is, are
e(r)ti= was, were

Emes
Iken
Idi

are used respectively, which are the derived from ermek as you said.

'degil' is also used as negative form to mean 'is not' or 'are not':
koryaning kishi, Iltirish degil (the person you see is not Iltirish).

Is 'degil' used in Uyghur Barbar?

Never, we only use Emes for negative form of a sentence without verb.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 23:49

Siler is used just as an address in Anatolia.  At the verbs used with sizler ve make the endings as in siz.
The Sentences in Turkish as in order you listed
 Eve giriniz.
Geldighiniz i鏸n chok teshekkurler.
Chok is many
Bu kitabi satin alanlar chok mu?
Fazla(Arabic) and pek (bek in Uygur?) are much.
Bu fazla oldu.
Onun parasi pek yok
We use Hayli(quite) from Persian.
Epey is quite
Olancha is quite, as much as
Looking forward to more you can send.

Teshekkür is also used in Uyghur.

Fazla, never heard of.

Yoq is for none.
Uning balisi yoq. (He doesn't have children)

Heli and helila are used for quite. Obdanla is also used.

Oghlingiz obdanla chong bolup qaptughu! (Oh, your son has quite grown up)

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 14:31

The difference between 'choq' and 'chong' is just like the difference between 'kok' (Uyghur) and 'kong' (Turkmen) when you're referring to sky (gok is used to say the color; although 'mawi' is the correct form).

Kuchuk is puppy in Turkmen too. 'Young' is 'yash' or 'yigit', but we add the suffix 'ri' to say 'qarri' which means 'old man'. 'Eski' is old. And 'qari' is 'foreign(er)', as in 'tash qari' (other than).

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 07:20

Actually, we have some of our most basic words from Luwian language (Lycian, Paphlagonian etc.) For example "Ana/anne" in Turkish (hañna in  Lycian, Lydian, Hittite, anna in Paphlagonian etc.) means mother. And "baba" means father. Smile 

I agree with Basibozuk.

So far you have yet to prove this theory of there being a strong native anatolian influence on the Western Turkish dialect. Your trying to prove your hypothesis is baceless since in Mandarin the word baba (爸爸) is used for father in an informal manner (also in Cantonese). Along with the information given by our Uygur brother that they also use Baba it makes far more sence that we have a direct link from the Turkic and CA regian then that of Asia minor.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 11:42

Found something interesting today when i read the history of the the province afyonkarahisar. While i whas reading about the castle of Afyon, i've learnd the name of the hitit king who did let contruct that castle is (in Turkish pronounced) "Mürsil". Now i have a nephew, his name is "Mürsel" LOL can there be any connection or something with Mürsil and Mürsel?

Bu ne ya, benim adim Kenan amcaoglu var Mürsel, daha neler cikacak bakalim LOL

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 04:51
I just wanna play a word game, never take it seriously.

Müre in (Uyghur) Turkic means shoulder.

El means homeland.

Elning Müresi means the shoulder of the motherland.

It can be said as Müresiel or Mürsel, for lınguistical convenience, which is common in Turkic.

il and el can be interchanged easily. So Mürsel can be Mürsil. Smile

-------------

Posted By: minchickie
Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 03:35

In Hungarian, "Isten" means God and "luk" means hole.

Just thought Id throw that in since Hungarian and Turkish share many words.
I still wonder how "Istanbul" came up with "Istan".

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by minchickie

In Hungarian, "Isten" means God and "luk" means hole.

Just thought Id throw that in since Hungarian and Turkish share many words.
I still wonder how "Istanbul" came up with "Istan".
Isten and Luk do not sound similar.
Istanbul is a corrupt form of Islambol. It means The place where Muslim is abundant.
Islam, you know
Bol means abounding, abundant

However some people say that When Turks first came close to Costantinapole, they asked a villager about the name of the city. But they spoke Turkish so the Greek villager did not understand what they said and then replied Is tin polis, (I am going ) to the city. So Turks thouht the name of city was Istinpolis. And this become to be Istanbul.

I think this is stupid. 
That cannot be possible. Turks came so close to Istanbul and they had not known the city name .
That is nonsense.
Turks before taking Istanbul called it as Arabs had done. Kostantiniyya

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:24
[[/QUOTE]
Isten and Luk do not sound similar. [/QUOTE]

Where does this come from? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 13:32
NO actually Istanbul derives from East Anbul.Now, one might think where the hell the West Anbul is but that's another story.(I assume it's somewhere in the Balkans)

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 14:22
Yuk... c'mon boys . get serious!!! Ha?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 15:21
yeah. let's get serious! Let's get back to Islambol!

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 15:34

That was what I knew. If you know something else, say it.

I just replied a question.
But remember that our topic is not Istanbul..
-luk is our topic. And related and similar things.

My magyar friend you misunderstood me.
I meant both of Isten and Luk do not sound similar to me. But each of them does not , not to each other.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 11:54

"Iste" in Uyghur turkish means looking for something with desire, it is different from "izde" which is simply looking for.

"Istek" means desire, hope.

Is it related to the meaning of GOD( or Turkic Tengri), I think there is some relation.

Luk in Hungarian just reminds me the Uyghur word Bulaq (spring), we describe the way the water coming out from the hole of the spring as "Bulduq-bulduq".

The people are really, really stupid to say that the Turks didn't know the name of the capital city of the east Roman Empire before their conquest.

Istanbol as we learnt even from Chinese history book originally was Islambol, means the city with Islam.

-------------

Posted By: ijjas
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 14:32

"Iste" in Uyghur turkish means looking for something with desire, it is different from "izde" which is simply looking for.

Is it related to the meaning of GOD( or Turkic Tengri), I think there is some relation.

Luk in Hungarian just reminds me the Uyghur word Bulaq (spring), we describe the way the water coming out from the hole of the spring as "Bulduq-bulduq".

The people are really, really stupid to say that the Turks didn't know the name of the capital city of the east Roman Empire before their conquest.

Istanbol as we learnt even from Chinese history book originally was Islambol, means the city with Islam.

My etymologic ditionyary says about the word boldog= happy, that it has unknown origin. May be this is an amateur dictionary

Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 14:53

In Anatolian Turkish istek is wish, desire
istemek is to wish, to want, to desire
Bulaq is little spring
I agree the thing you say about Istanbul. It derives from Islam bol , Muslim abundant

-------------

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 15:02
Found something interesting today when i read the history of the the province afyonkarahisar. While i whas reading about the castle of Afyon, i've learnd the name of the hitit king who did let contruct that castle is (in Turkish pronounced) "Mürsil". Now i have a nephew, his name is "Mürsel" LOL can there be any connection or something with Mürsil and Mürsel?

that castle was built by hittits? I didnot know anyone know who built it (I asked it more than one at afyon.)

Posted By: ijjas
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 15:05
In hungarian: var=castle. Sbdy from the castle is: var-i.
Inside of the castle is: var-ban. We should expect, that sbdy from inside of the castle is: var-bani, but contrary we say: var-beli(bel,zsiger=enteric). The plural form, for peoples from inside of the castle is: var-beliek.
But this is too sofisticated, and realy amateur.

Date Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 21:40
Welcome Magyar Baratom!  Tongue
(Welcome my Hungarian friend)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com