Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval 2 is coming!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval 2 is coming!
    Posted: 18-May-2006 at 16:18

IIRC they were more like the Trucoman horse archers or the Szekely horse archers of the Hugnarians, they were only recruitable in outremer and only by the catholic factions i think.

i just had a closer look at Tobodais screenshot, they got it all wrong, the smalls hield was fixed to te elbow to allow 2handed lancefight and the lance they actually carry is a west european jousting lance and certainly nothing that would be found amongst Islamic heavy cavalry...
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 06:52

The turcopoles were more like turcoman horse archers except a bit weaker (-1 in attack) the Szekely on the other hand are far more powerful, even better than the Faris of egypt and almohads (becuase they are faster).

Good for harrassing but don't charge them into formations of light infantry carrying shields (ie trebizond archers)

Americanus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 13:25
I cant wait because Mediaval  one was good but with graphics close to or better than RTW the game is going to be a lot better.
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 14:15
Arrrgh!!"
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 22:03
Originally posted by Cywr

http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Videos/Hi_Resolution/video_mtw2_gamepreview.mov

Oh baby.
That is all.

There is a new video up on totalwar.com that actually shows the real-time battles!  It looks so cool and seems to be a major advancement from its MTW predecessor. 

If you do a Google image search for screenshots you can see some that are not posted on the main site.  However, I haven't seen any more evidence of the "new and improved" Byzantines.  Has anyone seen anything else on MTW2's Byzantines?

What you can see is on the main site and it is limited.  In the Units section you can see a 3-D panorama of the "Trebizond Archer."  In the Factions section there is a little blurb about the Byzantines being a Greek Orthodox faction and that their army appears archaic as time wears on.  The picture here shows a kataphraktos or maybe a Pronoiar Cavalryman, wearing the klibanion chest armor and a helmet like one that appears on 13th-15th century military saints.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 24-Jul-2006 at 22:06
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 08:13
Medieval's creators  must be thinking Anatolian Turks are arabic...:(

But the game is very interesting ı think.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:37
Originally posted by Urungu Han

Hmm...what makes you think that?

Yes, I agree!  I can't believe more people aren't talking about it in this thread.  Confused

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:41
Its screenshots are amazing.

Which time period the game includes?Does it go to 1500s?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 10:59
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Its screenshots are amazing.

Which time period the game includes?Does it go to 1500s?

It goes up to 1530, I believe.  The map (and playable factions) will include the New World and the Aztecs or Mayans.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 05:55
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Hmm...what makes you think that?

Yes, I agree!  I can't believe more people aren't talking about it in this thread.  Confused

Most of Turkish players say the same.İn 1000's Turks in Anatolia were still have asian eyes(like japanese :D).And the culture were nomadic aren't islamic or arabic.And the skin was white.Most of soldiers were nomadic cavalries.

İn medieval total war,memluks announced egyptian islamic but they were Turkic.And the Anatolian Turkish soldiers have arab eyes,have armoured cavalries(like persian-arabic countries) ad their skin is black!All of this things aren't true.THey must learn about history,ı am atome total war fan and ı am waiting this game.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 17:13
I wouldnt be worried to much about skins. The game will be at its best with the many modded versions that will come out shortly after release. RTW was no where near as good a game by itself. When you applied the various mods though the game really took off. At least for me.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 10:06
Yes, same here. Rome Total Realism made the game so much better.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 21:37
Here is the screenshot of the MTW2 Byzantine cavalry that I mentioned earlier.  I wish the site had given the name of the unit depicted.  My guess is that he is either a kataphraktos or a Pronoiar cavalryman.

Notice the klibanion chest armor and the helmet.  The Romanesque wooden fort in the background is also intriguing!  I am very happy at the detail.  Seems to be tons of improvement over the undetailed grey blobs that were kataphraktoi in MTW1.  Smile

Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 10:35

Will The Timur Turks in this game?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 16:19

I am very happy at the detail.  Seems to be tons of improvement over the undetailed grey blobs that were kataphraktoi in MTW1.  Smile

detail???? he carries a heavy european lance that was introduced aroudn when Constantinople was conquered by the Ottomans (i noticed the same lance with the Timurids! Angry ) and look at the few parts of the horse armour we can see, it is clearly middle Asian, not byzantine.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 16:37
Originally posted by Temujin

detail???? he carries a heavy european lance that was introduced aroudn when Constantinople was conquered by the Ottomans

Starting with John II and Manuel I Komnenos, the Byzantine aristocracy and emperors opened up to certain European influcences.  One of these was militarily, hence the kavallarioi cavalry units and the adoption of terminology such as kyr/syr (titles "sir") and lizios (liege).  The adoption of heavy lances is something that came from the kavallarioi and was used by native units as well.  In the picture, the klibanion chest armor and splint vambraces are distinctly Byzantine.  So, a mixture of Byzantine, European, and Turkish influence in the design of military units is accurate in my opinion.

Originally posted by Temujin

and look at the few parts of the horse armour we can see, it is clearly middle Asian, not byzantine

I will repeat my last line from above:

So, a mixture of Byzantine, European, and Turkish influence in the design of military units is accurate in my opinion.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 16:28
but that horse armour is distinctly Steppeish, nothing like anatolian Seljuks or Ottomans had. and this particular lance was not used before the end of Byzantine existence at all. it looks more renaissance than anything.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 08:26
There isn't much historical realism in MTW2 units, so you shouldn't wait for it. The game is mostly about "eye candy" (at least it was for RTW with very poor and lame AI). The thing which I am mostly concerned in MTW2 is AI.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 09:19
Yeah, Axeman, remember the faction colors in original RTW? Those were nuts. I have never read of a green legionary, or a purple Parthian.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 10:00
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Yeah, Axeman, remember the faction colors in original RTW? Those were nuts. I have never read of a green legionary, or a purple Parthian.

Yep, those faction colours were crazy, so saturated. RTR and EB modders made all colour much realistic, not so bright, less saturated. For me it is impossible to play orginal RTW without mods.

Btw I use to make my own RTW units like this one(only shield is not finished):
link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>