Print Page | Close Window

Medieval 2 is coming!

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11614
Printed Date: 16-Apr-2024 at 08:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Medieval 2 is coming!
Posted By: Tobodai
Subject: Medieval 2 is coming!
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 16:44

oh yes and look at the screens...supposedly as the units get more experienced they get moreworn and blood splattered.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149025&pid=931592 - http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149025&pid= 931592

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Replies:
Posted By: Byzantine Emperor
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:37

I know, this looks AWESOME!  Before there was any sign of a MTW 2, when Total War: Rome came out I told other people I know who play the game that Activision should re-make MTW in Rome's graphics and using its engine.  When I saw that my wish was going to come true, I was very happy!

It is cool that the gameplay will be even more realistic, with the blood and extra detail on the military units.  I also heard that the timeframe of the game is extended to 1500 and includes more elements of the Renaissance.  It will be great to be the Byzantines past 1453 and take over Western Europe in revenge over 1204!

Tobodai:  Is this screenshot of Byzantine cataphracts?  It kind of looks like it, either cataphracts or Persian/Arab heavy cavalry.  I wonder what new Byzantine units will be available in MTW 2?

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=12713 - Late Byzantine Military
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:50
It looks so good you want to forgive them.
Will it be much more demanding than RTW?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 21:35
Hopefully I will have upgraded by then.

Its petty but it would be great if the final product has stirrups.

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 05:08
MTW2 Video trailer
http://media.putfile.com/med2_video1601 - LINK

-------------

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 11:44
Looks nice. I heard they are making a Bohemian civ. Nice post Tobodai.

-------------

Posted By: Dampier
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 13:16

Must say it looks fantastic...Just have to get myself a computer that can handle it. Loved the first and no doubt I'll love this too, great series.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 21:31
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I know, this looks AWESOME!  Before there was any sign of a MTW 2, when Total War: Rome came out I told other people I know who play the game that Activision should re-make MTW in Rome's graphics and using its engine.  When I saw that my wish was going to come true, I was very happy!

It is cool that the gameplay will be even more realistic, with the blood and extra detail on the military units.  I also heard that the timeframe of the game is extended to 1500 and includes more elements of the Renaissance.  It will be great to be the Byzantines past 1453 and take over Western Europe in revenge over 1204!

Tobodai:  Is this screenshot of Byzantine cataphracts?  It kind of looks like it, either cataphracts or Persian/Arab heavy cavalry.  I wonder what new Byzantine units will be available in MTW 2?

I would guess the units in that pic are either Iranian or Turkish from what I know ( I love my central asian cavalry) but I have no faction info.  I do however know that the time era is something like 1050-1530 (INCLUDING AZTECS!) therfore given that frame I would assume Byzantium is there.

And yes, I too wished for more medieval over that sandal wearing classical stuff since the armor is so much cooler esepcially in 3D but now for our waiting it seems we shall get a more finished product than RTW.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 21:59

Originally posted by Tobodai

I would guess the units in that pic are either Iranian or Turkish from what I know ( I love my central asian cavalry) but I have no faction info.  I do however know that the time era is something like 1050-1530 (INCLUDING AZTECS!) therfore given that frame I would assume Byzantium is there.

Yes, I think they are.  I looked at the new screenshots on totalwar.com and these units had a crescent flag next to them.  Did you notice that some of the units have more advanced armor, while others do not have certain pieces of the panoply, like a chainmail mask and full segmented breast plate?  This must be an example of the more random and realistic look of the updated game.

Since MTW 2 starts at 1050, and presumably has all the original factions, the Byzantines will be there.  They were still a force to be reckoned with; besides, it will be so fun to re-write history with a powerful 15th century Byzantine Empire!  Imagine the ramifications of Byzantium extending its influence into the New World and coming into contact with the Aztecs!

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 02:49
Portugal, Spain, France, England, Scotland, Holy Roman Empire, Papal State, Milan, Venice, Sicily, Denmark, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Byzantium, Turks, Egypt, Moors, Mongols, Timurids, Azteks.
These will be 21 playable factions in mtw2. They might raise the faction number to 30.
But it seems the me that MTW2 will be another Western Euro-centric game. Only three  muslim faction -> well this is  spit in to medieval history, because they avoid most advanced regions and states, which were Muslim ones.
Ottoman Empire is not the same as Seljuk Empire.
There should be also Abbasid caliphate.
And if they include Timurids from Central asia, than there should be also Khwariz Empire and other powerful states.
And that the hell is mysterious faction named Russia ???
Russia didnt exist in medieval times so as Spain.

Total Western Euro centric

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 03:00
I looked on totalwar.com and it looks very sweet indeed. I saw the picture of the Byzantine kataphraktoi and also trebizond archers, the description of the trebizond archer is exactly the same as in the original Medieval TW. My only hope is that they are introducing some original and useful Byzantine units, and not simply grafted the mediocre Byzantine army from Medieval 1 onto Med 2 with better graphics being the only improvement.

-------------

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 08:02
WTF, Spain and no Aragon?

-------------

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:42

VENICE?????? TIMURIDS????? MONGOLS?????

I am on my way to become the love slave of the development team of this game!!!!!! This is THE game I always wanted.  I can be invading people by sea with my most serene republic in one game while building pyramids of human heads in another.......Timurid cataphracts

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 17:17
At last they decided to add Milan and Venice in the list.When i was playing MTW,i found very funny the whole situation,having the Venetians and the lombards in the same faction
But while they corrected the historical inaccuracy on the Italian peninsula,it seems that they did the opposite thing on the Iberian peninsula.They may have added Potugal but as Frederick Roger pointed out,where is the kingdom of Aragon and why did they remove the catalans from the playable factions and from the game in general?
I also expect that in MTW2 there will be more detailed units for the Byzantines not just Byzantine infantry, spearmen and cataphracts.
Constantine XI do you tthink that the trebizond archers ever existed in reality as a special unit?There may have been naturally archers from Trebizond but where they a special unit in the Byzantine army?

Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 19:09

Originally posted by Constantine XI

My only hope is that they are introducing some original and useful Byzantine units, and not simply grafted the mediocre Byzantine army from Medieval 1 onto Med 2 with better graphics being the only improvement.

Yes, I agree.  It wouldn't make sense just to "graft" over certain civilizations and totally revamp others.  This seems like a totally new edition of MTW, not just an expansion pack for Viking Invasion.  Constantine XI, what are some units you think they might add to the Byzantine military?

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

I also expect that in MTW2 there will be more detailed units for the Byzantines not just Byzantine infantry, spearmen and cataphracts.
Constantine XI do you tthink that the trebizond archers ever existed in reality as a special unit?There may have been naturally archers from Trebizond but where they a special unit in the Byzantine army?

I don't recall there being a specific Trapezuntine foot-archer contingent in the Byzantine army at any time.  At least, they weren't called by their place of origin, like most of the late Byzantine army units were (they were named after their administrative theme).  There were Paphlagonian soldiers from the Optimaton Theme, which is near Trebizond, but I am not sure if they had a specialized function.  What little we know about the Trapezuntine army in the late period seems to indicate that it was made up largely of light-armed mounted archers.  They were heavily influenced in this respect by the Turkish and Mongol tribes that lived around them.

I am trying to think of some possible additions to the Byzantine army...hmmm.  Perhaps they might include the klibanophoroi, which were heavily-armored cavalry, but they actually preceded the kataphraktoi and would probably be out of the time frame of MTW 2.  They should update what they called the pronoiai allagion and rename it megala allagion, which was the proper term.  The pronoiar cavalry should be a separate unit.  It would be interesting to see in the game the Byzantines have a special ability to hire mercenaries from all over the map, especially from Italian/French and Turkish territories!  Any other thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:09
Speaking of Milan, there should be a Leisure Suit Larry type of game...The Visconti's.  Your task is to gain a higher score than the other players by being t emost debauched of them all.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 17:03

I don't recall there being a specific Trapezuntine foot-archer contingent in the Byzantine army at any time.  At least, they weren't called by their place of origin, like most of the late Byzantine army units were (they were named after their administrative theme).  There were Paphlagonian soldiers from the Optimaton Theme, which is near Trebizond, but I am not sure if they had a specialized function.  What little we know about the Trapezuntine army in the late period seems to indicate that it was made up largely of light-armed mounted archers.  They were heavily influenced in this respect by the Turkish and Mongol tribes that lived around them.

I am trying to think of some possible additions to the Byzantine army...hmmm.  Perhaps they might include the klibanophoroi, which were heavily-armored cavalry, but they actually preceded the kataphraktoi and would probably be out of the time frame of MTW 2.  They should update what they called the pronoiai allagion and rename it megala allagion, which was the proper term.  The pronoiar cavalry should be a separate unit.  It would be interesting to see in the game the Byzantines have a special ability to hire mercenaries from all over the map, especially from Italian/French and Turkish territories!  Any other thoughts?

So the Trebizond archers are just another inaccuracy of MTW.I am curious though to now how did they come up with the idea of creating a unit of archers from Trebizond and not let's say from Cappadocia or from the sklaviniai of the Balkans.Anyway,thank you  Byzantine Emperor for your answer .

The Byzantine army units in my opinion in MTW were made with very little detail,while the western factions had many different types of infantry.
I think the clibanophoroi have been added to the Barbarian Invasion expansion of Rome as heavily armoured cavalry unit of the eastern Roman Empire.
I would suggest as infantry units the skoutatoi carrying  very large shields,the menavlatoi as first class spearmen able to repel a cavalry charge,the varangian guard of course as elite unit,mourtatoi archers(of mixed greco-turkish origin), akritai-lightly armed cavalry able also to dismount(armed with javelins,maces,swords),horse archers from the themata of Anatolia,vlach units recruited from the balkans armed with spears and axes(bonus in guerilla warfare),Cumans from the Balkans etc.
The mercenaries could be as you stated french/Italians but also Hungarians and Normans and also turkish horse archers.
There is a modification on RTW on which some people are working and they have created many interesting units for the Byzantines.For more info,click http://s15.invisionfree.com/Byzantium_TW/index.php?act=idx - here

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 20:06

I would suggest as infantry units the skoutatoi carrying  very large shields

These could replace the generalized "Spearmen" infantry unit that all the factions had, for the Byzantines.

I thought the "Byzantine Infantry" always looked rather weak in terms of detail and design.  The triangular shield and possibly the scimitar (although I do not think all Byzantine infantry carried the weapon) were accurate, but the soldier's uniform and armor was not.  Since MTW2 will be paying more attention to detail, the infantry should be modelled after some of the late (14th-15th c.) Byzantine warrior saint iconography - circular shields, lamellar armor, classical Roman-influenced breast plates and skirts.

the menavlatoi as first class spearmen able to repel a cavalry charge,the varangian guard of course as elite unit,mourtatoi archers(of mixed greco-turkish origin)

Yes, this is a good idea; the Menavlatoi archers could replace the Trapezuntine foot archers.  If they wanted to include units from Trebizond, they could model some horse archers after the ones depicted in the renaissance painting of the siege of Trebizond. These could replace the generalized "Byzantine Archer" horse archers of the first game.

Speaking of mixed race units, I can't believe the MTW1 forgot the Torkopoloi!  They should be included in 2 as light cavalry, replacing for the Byzantines the ambiguous Alan Mercenary Cavalry that every faction had available.  Your suggestion of Cuman cavalry is very good - they were an integral part of both the Nicaean army and Michael VIII's army.

What about heavy cavalry?  There should be another unit besides the kataphraktoi.  I suggest the kavallarioi, Latin knights (some with pronoia) from the Crusader States and Frankish Greece.  They were very important to the late Nicean army and definitely to Michael VIII and Andronikos II Palaiologos.

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:15
hype hype hpye. oh no, the game sucks despte brilliant graphic Cry same old story....and from the features list its exactly the same as old medieval anyways. i bet the AI will suck again. who told you this game will be more polished than Rome? just because they included Timurids will not mean I will get this, the Islamic factions will be underpowered again anyways, with dozens of almost identical european factions to play. and then they've included Aztecs who are not even medieval instead of including more of contemporary Asia. pathetic show. again.

So the Trebizond archers are just another inaccuracy of MTW.I am curious though to now how did they come up with the idea of creating a unit of archers from Trebizond and not let's say from Cappadocia or from the sklaviniai of the Balkans.Anyway,thank you  Byzantine Emperor for your answer .

they were not made up, CA just got it all wrong. they used as reference the Osprey Elite book on the Crusades by D. Nicolle who has on one page about Cilician Armenia as Crusader state, this plate also has an "archer from Trebizont", meaning a foot archer from the Trebizont Empire. however CA carelessly included the archer as sort of an byzantien elite unit....but the byzantines in MTW are completely messed anyways...

Speaking of mixed race units, I can't believe the MTW1 forgot the Torkopoloi!

there were Turkopoles in MTW....

-------------

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 12:15

There is a modification on RTW on which some people are working and they have created many interesting units for the Byzantines.For more info,click http://s15.invisionfree.com/Byzantium_TW/index.php?act=idx - here

Romios, how did you find this forum?  I have never seen it before and I have done some exstensive searching for Byzantine stuff online!

After looking through it some, it seems like it is devoted mainly to MTW mods.  There is a lot of discussion on Byzantium and its military, but within the context of MTW.  Do they also welcome general discussion on Byzantium and its army?

Originally posted by Temujin

there were Turkopoles in MTW....

I haven't played in a while because my present computer lacks a good video card that will handle the game, but now that you mention it, I vaguely remember them.  They were really nondescript though; basically very similar to the "Alan cavalry" only with bows?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 16:18

IIRC they were more like the Trucoman horse archers or the Szekely horse archers of the Hugnarians, they were only recruitable in outremer and only by the catholic factions i think.

i just had a closer look at Tobodais screenshot, they got it all wrong, the smalls hield was fixed to te elbow to allow 2handed lancefight and the lance they actually carry is a west european jousting lance and certainly nothing that would be found amongst Islamic heavy cavalry...

-------------

Posted By: Fizzil
Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 06:52

The turcopoles were more like turcoman horse archers except a bit weaker (-1 in attack) the Szekely on the other hand are far more powerful, even better than the Faris of egypt and almohads (becuase they are faster).

Good for harrassing but don't charge them into formations of light infantry carrying shields (ie trebizond archers)

Posted By: Americanus
Date Posted: 23-May-2006 at 13:25
I cant wait because Mediaval  one was good but with graphics close to or better than RTW the game is going to be a lot better.

-------------
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"

Date Posted: 27-May-2006 at 14:15
http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Videos/Hi_Resolution/video_mtw2_gamepreview.mov - http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Videos/Hi_Resolution/video_mtw2_gamepreview.mov

Oh baby.
That is all.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 22:03
Originally posted by Cywr

http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Videos/Hi_Resolution/video_mtw2_gamepreview.mov - http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Videos/Hi_Resolution/video_mtw2_gamepreview.mov

Oh baby.
That is all.

There is a new video up on totalwar.com that actually shows the real-time battles!  It looks so cool and seems to be a major advancement from its MTW predecessor. 

If you do a Google image search for screenshots you can see some that are not posted on the main site.  However, I haven't seen any more evidence of the "new and improved" Byzantines.  Has anyone seen anything else on MTW2's Byzantines?

What you can see is on the main site and it is limited.  In the Units section you can see a 3-D panorama of the "Trebizond Archer."  In the Factions section there is a little blurb about the Byzantines being a Greek Orthodox faction and that their army appears archaic as time wears on.  The picture here shows a kataphraktos or maybe a Pronoiar Cavalryman, wearing the klibanion chest armor and a helmet like one that appears on 13th-15th century military saints.

-------------

Posted By: Urungu Han
Date Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 08:13
Medieval's creators  must be thinking Anatolian Turks are arabic...:(

But the game is very interesting ı think.

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:37
Originally posted by Urungu Han

Hmm...what makes you think that?

Yes, I agree!  I can't believe more people aren't talking about it in this thread.  Confused

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:41
Its screenshots are amazing.

Which time period the game includes?Does it go to 1500s?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 10:59
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Its screenshots are amazing.

Which time period the game includes?Does it go to 1500s?

It goes up to 1530, I believe.  The map (and playable factions) will include the New World and the Aztecs or Mayans.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 05:55

Hmm...what makes you think that?

Yes, I agree!  I can't believe more people aren't talking about it in this thread.  Confused

Most of Turkish players say the same.İn 1000's Turks in Anatolia were still have asian eyes(like japanese :D).And the culture were nomadic aren't islamic or arabic.And the skin was white.Most of soldiers were nomadic cavalries.

İn medieval total war,memluks announced egyptian islamic but they were Turkic.And the Anatolian Turkish soldiers have arab eyes,have armoured cavalries(like persian-arabic countries) ad their skin is black!All of this things aren't true.THey must learn about history,ı am atome total war fan and ı am waiting this game.

Posted By: Gundamor
Date Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 17:13
I wouldnt be worried to much about skins. The game will be at its best with the many modded versions that will come out shortly after release. RTW was no where near as good a game by itself. When you applied the various mods though the game really took off. At least for me.

-------------
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"

Date Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 10:06
Yes, same here. Rome Total Realism made the game so much better.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 21:37
Here is the screenshot of the MTW2 Byzantine cavalry that I mentioned earlier.  I wish the site had given the name of the unit depicted.  My guess is that he is either a kataphraktos or a Pronoiar cavalryman.

Notice the klibanion chest armor and the helmet.  The Romanesque wooden fort in the background is also intriguing!  I am very happy at the detail.  Seems to be tons of improvement over the undetailed grey blobs that were kataphraktoi in MTW1.  Smile

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mtw2byzantinesye1.jpg">

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 10:35

Will The Timur Turks in this game?

Date Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 16:19

I am very happy at the detail.  Seems to be tons of improvement over the undetailed grey blobs that were kataphraktoi in MTW1.  Smile

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mtw2byzantinesye1.jpg">

detail???? he carries a heavy european lance that was introduced aroudn when Constantinople was conquered by the Ottomans (i noticed the same lance with the Timurids! Angry ) and look at the few parts of the horse armour we can see, it is clearly middle Asian, not byzantine.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 16:37

detail???? he carries a heavy european lance that was introduced aroudn when Constantinople was conquered by the Ottomans

Starting with John II and Manuel I Komnenos, the Byzantine aristocracy and emperors opened up to certain European influcences.  One of these was militarily, hence the kavallarioi cavalry units and the adoption of terminology such as kyr/syr (titles "sir") and lizios (liege).  The adoption of heavy lances is something that came from the kavallarioi and was used by native units as well.  In the picture, the klibanion chest armor and splint vambraces are distinctly Byzantine.  So, a mixture of Byzantine, European, and Turkish influence in the design of military units is accurate in my opinion.

and look at the few parts of the horse armour we can see, it is clearly middle Asian, not byzantine

I will repeat my last line from above:

So, a mixture of Byzantine, European, and Turkish influence in the design of military units is accurate in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 16:28
but that horse armour is distinctly Steppeish, nothing like anatolian Seljuks or Ottomans had. and this particular lance was not used before the end of Byzantine existence at all. it looks more renaissance than anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 08:26
There isn't much historical realism in MTW2 units, so you shouldn't wait for it. The game is mostly about "eye candy" (at least it was for RTW with very poor and lame AI). The thing which I am mostly concerned in MTW2 is AI.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 09:19
Yeah, Axeman, remember the faction colors in original RTW? Those were nuts. I have never read of a green legionary, or a purple Parthian.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 10:00
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Yeah, Axeman, remember the faction colors in original RTW? Those were nuts. I have never read of a green legionary, or a purple Parthian.

Yep, those faction colours were crazy, so saturated. RTR and EB modders made all colour much realistic, not so bright, less saturated. For me it is impossible to play orginal RTW without mods.

Btw I use to make my own RTW units like this one(only shield is not finished):
http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=karavitrisyq9.jpg - link

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 14:21
and they could start using actual symbols and not fantasy ones....i mean chinese dragon for Golden Horde was ridiculous...

-------------

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 14:45

and they could start using actual symbols and not fantasy ones....i mean chinese dragon for Golden Horde was ridiculous...
steppe people hate dragons

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 05:16
They like wolves =)

Total war historians are good at only european history.

Date Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 05:40

They like wolves =)

Total war historians are good at only european history.

Western European to be more precise. And even then they aren't very good.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 17:41

Wow, check this video out!  It is a MTW2 battle of the English vs. the Turks.  I know some people will find something wrong with it but I still can't wait to play this game!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIPEQUvWRTQ - http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIPEQUvWRTQ

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 07:34
That video looks awesome, Byzantine Emperor, thanks. Noticed some Aussie accents in the background, probably at their testing labs up in Brisbane. There were a few things I didn't quite like, it was a good deal more chaotic than in RTR (but then chaos is more realistic anyway). Still, they have plenty of time for tweaking.

-------------

Posted By: Goban
Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 08:08
Awesome!

Have they published the minimum system requirements yet?

Now I want to and go play RTW!

-------------
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:19

That video looks awesome, Byzantine Emperor, thanks. Noticed some Aussie accents in the background, probably at their testing labs up in Brisbane. There were a few things I didn't quite like, it was a good deal more chaotic than in RTR (but then chaos is more realistic anyway). Still, they have plenty of time for tweaking.

You're welcome! Big smile

I noticed the Aussie accents too.  I think this is a video from some kind of gaming exhibition - maybe it was held there?

I agree about the chaos.  The soldiers looked like they were moving a bit too fast for humans or men wearing armor who have been fighting a battle for hours. 

But the general "chaos" was awesome!  A lot more action than MTW1.  Did you see when the cannon shot landed in the group of infantry standing in the breach?  OUCH! LOL

Originally posted by Goban

Awesome!

If you go to the totalwar.com site and look at the forum, there are several threads that talk about improvements from the original and the system requirements.  Supposedly you will not have to "buy a brand new computer" to run MTW2.  Somehow I still think my ancient Gateway 2000 will not be able to handle it!  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 12:11
Originally posted by Goban

Awesome!

Minimum should be 2GHZ PC, 1GB RAM and 126 MB videocard

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 14:55
Axeman, I think you mean a 128 MB videoacrd(I have never heard of a 126 MB).

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 17:27
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Axeman, I think you mean a 128 MB videoacrd(I have never heard of a 126 MB).

Yeah, my mistake 128 MB.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 20:40
Ah, oh well, only a 2MB mistake.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 03:54
mY 6600GT is 122mb =)

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 15:49
Wrong version of TW i know, but is STW:Gold edition effectivly the same as the Warlord edition? (original+Mongol Invasion)?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 18:05
I definitely agree that things were moving a bit too fast, as a general I still want the ability to influence the course of the battle.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 16:39
that huge ottoman gun was ridiculous. it blew away a complete unit of knights...

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 17:30

Wow, check this video out!  It is a MTW2 battle of the English vs. the Turks.  I know some people will find something wrong with it but I still can't wait to play this game!

that huge ottoman gun was ridiculous. it blew away a complete unit of knights...

LOL   Clap

-------------

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 23:45
I got a Nvidia 6800 Gs a couple of weeks ago, currently im busy playing the highly demanding Oblivion which runs pretty well on my dell 4600 but this game should run ok too.

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Date Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 16:24

LOL   Clap

not to mention the trebuchets that had a reloading speed of an automatic gun... Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 00:18

not to mention the trebuchets that had a reloading speed of an automatic gun... Tongue

Yeah, I agree with you on that one.  And the infantry were running a bit too fast for men wearing armor and who have been fighting for a while.  Maybe it was because they were running the game on a company supercomputer and not on a Neolithic PC like the rest of us have!  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 18:03
Can we play each other in Medival 2?

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 06:51
 I'm not looking forward to MTW2, unless they have improved 10x on what they *achieved* with RTW and BI then it's going to be yet another letdown.

I know i'm being very negative, but i'm bored of these *amazing* looking trailers and pictures, which are always of the absolute optimum visual stimulation and intense combat that the player will never actually experience.

Remember the screenshots from RTW? how perfect it looked, yet play the game and your lucky to have an actual battle that lasts longer than 2 minutes, either because the game was hideously unbalanced or because the AI general suicided. Even RTR couldn't fix RTW, the AI was so unbelievably poor it couldnt even use the campaign map. Try having a massive battle like the trailers to discover even with your uber-supercomputer it struggled to play anything like what you saw.

Now again MTW2 will have to be 10x better than RTW or the hideous BI to be anything near its potential, I don't care what it looks like, if I did I wouldnt have played MTW VI yesterday.

What matters is balance, a good campaign map, AI and a sophisticated diplomatic and economic structure to the game. Which we will only really find out about when we have played it. RTW and BI were nothing on MTW VI, the graphics didn't help one iota, MTW2 needs more than looks to gain my approval.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:37
How would this new game compare with other war games on a scale of 1 to 10 ?

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 09:47
I agree with you that the AI in Rome:TW was horrible but if you played R:BI the AI got a substantial boost from what i remember. Based on what ive seen from screenshots the gameplay of MTW2 doesn't seem too different from RTW.

I think its a good thing that most battles don't last longer than 5 min or so and this seems logical due to the fact that you only take turns every 6 months. It makes proportional sense to real time. If any army took a month or two or more to get to a certain location and the battle lasted for about 6 hours or the most for a day or two then it makes sense to have short battles.

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 11:54
 I see what your getting at about proportions Vulkan, but I would argue that short battles meant there was even less time for the player to influence events. Units rout so quickly, often the second cavalry touched them, that the player had no opportunity to react. An army that takes hours of playing to build should not be destroyed in 3 minutes of madness surely, it just isnt realistic at all.

The player was often made redundant, I believe because the game was horribly inflexible and unbalanced. In MTW VI battles could last a substantial length of time, allowing players to commit reserves, change tactics, alter the course of the battle.

In RTW and BI the general rule was, charge heavy cavalry into infantry and you will almost certainly win. What kind of game sees a phalanx get beat by heavy cavalry from the front? what madness was that.

MTW may have been a more simple game, but the campaign map worked, terrain mattered and cavalry was not (with the understandable exception of kings) not near-invincable killing machines.

If they follow the path of RTW and BI, save your money I think.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 15:00
Well hopefully these are some issues that they will improve  in MTW:2 but by far the greatest aspect of the game to be criticized is the AI both on battlefield and world map. I have never played MTW so I wouldn't know if thats better.

As far as units being destroyed quickly I dont have any complains. At the Battle of Cannae most of Romes 80000 infantry got killed in less than 4 hours... im sure it took Rome a lot of time to recruit and train all those soldiers. Besides if you believe you are losing a battle you can always sound a retreat and sacrifice some more while running rather than losing them all fighting a pointless battle.

Also you have many recorded battles in history where the winner lost less than a few hundred men while the loser tens of thousands so its not so horribly imbalanced and units don't really rout as quick as you think from a historical perspective.

Im going to run a few tests to see if Heavy Cavalry is as powerful as you say against the Phallax. In Alexander:TW i have tried to charge the Sacred band with Alexander and his companions head on in the battle of Cheranoea but haven't succeeded after several tries. Instead i beat it by hitting them from behind over and over again which was suprisingly  difficult to rout them and i lost a lot of cavalry.

-------------

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 19:46
There is talk on the totarwar.com forum that the game designers took out the year counter and the game will now last from "Turn 1" to "Turn 225", and not from 1080AD to 1530AD.  That and 1 turn will equal 2 years.....

Go figure....Thumbs Down

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 04:06
Originally posted by Jazz

There is talk on the totarwar.com forum that the game designers took out the year counter and the game will now last from "Turn 1" to "Turn 225", and not from 1080AD to 1530AD.  That and 1 turn will equal 2 years.....

Go figure....Thumbs Down

That sucks. I can understand why as it would take forever to get to the different ages in the game, but still we could just do it like it was done in the original MTW.

BTW, I wonder what their expansion pack will focus on. Vikings again? Mongol Invasion? Crusades? Or New World Conquest?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 13:57
Good Question.

BTW, I wonder what their expansion pack will focus on. Vikings again? Mongol Invasion? Crusades? Or New World Conquest?

If I were given a vote:
The Balkans and Anatolia, from sometime after 1245 to 14xx.

I'd start after the 4th Crusade and the Mongol invasions that destabilized the 2 main powers in the area between the Danube and the Taurus Mts, the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Sultanate (respectively), and include:
  • Each Byzantine splinter state
    • Nicaea
    • Eprius
    • Trebizond
  • The Latin Kingdom of Constantinople
  • The Frankish domains around Athens
  • Venice in the Agean Islands
  • Armenians
  • Seljuks and the Turkish Ghazi emirates
    • Ottomans
    • Karaman
    • Germiyan
    • Auydin
    • The White Sheep Turks
    • The Black Sheep Turks
    • etc
  • Serbians
  • Bulgarians
  • Wallachians
  • Hungarians
  • The Knights of St. John in Rhodes
  • etc.
Here is a map I would base this on (but start sometime before the date of this map):

But they won't do this though, it will be something based on "Western" Europe or the New World if I were to bet.

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Evrenosgazi
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 16:31

Good Question.

If I were given a vote:
The Balkans and Anatolia, from sometime after 1245 to 14xx.

I'd start after the 4th Crusade and the Mongol invasions that destabilized the 2 main powers in the area between the Danube and the Taurus Mts, the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Sultanate (respectively), and include:
  • Each Byzantine splinter state
    • Nicaea
    • Eprius
    • Trebizond
  • The Latin Kingdom of Constantinople
  • The Frankish domains around Athens
  • Venice in the Agean Islands
  • Armenians
  • Seljuks and the Turkish Ghazi emirates
    • Ottomans
    • Karaman
    • Germiyan
    • Auydin
    • The White Sheep Turks
    • The Black Sheep Turks
    • etc
  • Serbians
  • Bulgarians
  • Wallachians
  • Hungarians
  • The Knights of St. John in Rhodes
  • etc.
Here is a map I would base this on (but start sometime before the # - date of this map):

But they won't do this though, it # - will be something based on "Western" Europe or the New World if I were to bet.
Yes man you are right, they wont bother the eastern part.But I think your idea is fine because in this scenario all the factions would fight each other

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 11:43
its super cool. i cant wait it.do you know when will they publish the demo????

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 01:03
when will be the demo published ?????

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:41
the demo will be published in October !!!!. have your seats gentlemen.have you seen the russian berdische axemen.they are super cool.and so scary.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 09:29
am i the only one who is excited about it?

-------------

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 19:35
Originally posted by Heraclius

I'm not looking forward to MTW2, unless they have improved 10x on what they *achieved* with RTW and BI then it's going to be yet another letdown.

I know i'm being very negative, but i'm bored of these *amazing* looking trailers and pictures, which are always of the absolute optimum visual stimulation and intense combat that the player will never actually experience.

Remember the screenshots from RTW? how perfect it looked, yet play the game and your lucky to have an actual battle that lasts longer than 2 minutes, either because the game was hideously unbalanced or because the AI general suicided. Even RTR couldn't fix RTW, the AI was so unbelievably poor it couldnt even use the campaign map. Try having a massive battle like the trailers to discover even with your uber-supercomputer it struggled to play anything like what you saw.

Now again MTW2 will have to be 10x better than RTW or the hideous BI to be anything near its potential, I don't care what it looks like, if I did I wouldnt have played MTW VI yesterday.

What matters is balance, a good campaign map, AI and a sophisticated diplomatic and economic structure to the game. Which we will only really find out about when we have played it. RTW and BI were nothing on MTW VI, the graphics didn't help one iota, MTW2 needs more than looks to gain my approval.
Perfectly said, I don't even play the battles I just simulate them when doing a campaign.  I don't remotely care about useless graphics if the AI and campaign map are garbage (which was certainly the case in Rome, and BI).  And for the love of god extend the campaign map to India!!!!!!

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 08:27
stop saying these,or the berdische axemen chops you!!

-------------

Posted By: Greek Hoplite
Date Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 03:04
As for the requirements of the game, because it will be based at an improved engine of rome total war i do not think thay there will be many differencies from rome requirements, so i suppose 1.5-1.8 Ghz 512 Ram and 128 mb ram in graphics card and do not forget that in general in total war games the most important is the processor.So when they ll release the demo i ll download it and i ll see how the game "plays" in my pc.If the frames will drop frequently and make me nervous ill change video card and i ll buy nvidia 7600gt( about 190-200 euros)

My system  Intel Pentium 4  3.2GHz με hyper threading, 1GB RAM(2Χ 512), motherboard: Gigabyte GA - 8I915P Duo PCI-Express (Pro), κάρτα γραφικών Ati Radeon X600 pro 256MB DDR2, HD 160GB , Windows XP Pro 
Greek 
My pc can create during battle about 6800 soldiers with most settings in maximum and without important frame rate problems.
Some screenshots:

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/603/6032d8492d29be47ff6df2090d04e780_02a.jpg - http://www.fotothing.com/photos/603/6032d8492d29be47ff6df2090d04e780_02a.jpg ">

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/82a/82a3e3afa4440fbe5c4454f97d1d8e45_6a3.jpg - http://www.fotothing.com/photos/82a/82a3e3afa4440fbe5c4454f97d1d8e45_6a3.jpg ">

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/8bb/8bb34fd45401fc3a95eb82ad7ee54c28_b8a.jpg - http://www.fotothing.com/photos/8bb/8bb34fd45401fc3a95eb82ad7ee54c28_b8a.jpg

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/a44/a445e30c5fe4e7dbf3ab44a0551df839_d71.jpg - http://www.fotothing.com/photos/a44/a445e30c5fe4e7dbf3ab44a0551df839_d71.jpg

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/879/8797f20e24415e7a7fb1560b09ce8ac1_b77.jpg - http://www.fotothing.com/photos/879/8797f20e24415e7a7fb1560b09ce8ac1_b77.jpg

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/3c7/3c7879be912751f50053ff1cf4fb08e2_619.jpg - http://www.fotothing.com/photos/3c7/3c7879be912751f50053ff1cf4fb08e2_619.jpg

-------------
My blog
http://mankap.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 07:51
i have ge-force 5200 256 mb card.i guess i can play it with low settings.cant i?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 10:20
Originally posted by Batu

i have ge-force 5200 256 mb card.i guess i can play it with low settings.cant i?

Download the demo(when they release it ) and see how the game "runs" in your system.

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 12:38
i willl

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 09:13
 have you checked out the units.berdische axemen look so scary. and byzantine infantary look very professional.i will enjoy killing them

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:11

have you checked out the units.berdische axemen look so scary. and byzantine infantary look very professional.i will enjoy killing them

What images?The images that have posted September 13. I f you mean these yes  i saw them, also i watched the faction video for Byzantines and downloaded it.

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 02:18
yes i meant them.the russian video was better than the Byzantines although i prefer Byz. to Russians.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 02:40
Yes the russian was a bit better with better scenesThumbs Up.In the Byzantine video the cavalary were katafraktoi, weren't they? 

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 12:13
yes they are kataphractoi.they are cool but i wanna see more

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 03:23
Originally posted by Greek Hoplite

Yes the russian was a bit better with better scenesThumbs Up.In the Byzantine video the cavalary were katafraktoi, weren't they? 
What "Byzantine video"?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 05:54

Originally posted by Greek Hoplite

What "Byzantine video"?

Faction features-Byzantium i mean with byzantine video,you can watch it at ign ,gamespot

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 10:32
again,the russian one is better

-------------

Posted By: YusakuJon3
Date Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 19:33
About those system requirements.  I plan on getting a new PC by early next year anyway, so I'll have some idea what I need when M2:TW comes out within the next few months.  The current system (old P4 with 2.53 GHz on a 400 MHz FSB and a 64 MB Nvidia GC) ran R:TW well enough on low and moderate settings, but does get jerky when the number of units moving in a battle map exceeds 2,500.   The new system should at least be a 3.2 GHz Pentium-D with more bandwidth and GC power, so that'll get cleared up in a jiffy.

-------------
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)

Date Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 19:36

I have gone to gamespot and seen some videos, but none which specifically look at a particular faction.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 01:55

I have gone to gamespot and seen some videos, but none which specifically look at a particular faction.

Here http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/800327/vids_1.html - http://media.pc.ign.com/media/800/800327/vids_1.html

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 02:07

Originally posted by YusakuJon3

The new system should at least be a 3.2 GHz Pentium-D with more bandwidth and GC power, so that'll get cleared up in a jiffy.

Your processor must be at least 3 GHz, so 3 or 3.2,3.4 GHz its ok and your ram 1GB or 2GB if you want.Also would be good to have a card with GDDR3 memory.My system consists of P4 3.2GHz  1GB RAM and x600pro 256 mb and runs fine rome (about 6800 soldiers totally with most settings high and few slowdowns which are not annoying, its not strange for example that you can play rome without problems and with 15 fps).Also in total war series the most important is to have a good processor and enough ram and the video card comes second(which does not mean that it must be for rubbish).

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:19
maybe 512 ram is enough am i wrong(please tell me that i am not wrong)

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:32
Thanks for the link to that movie. I am still really hoping they dont make the units move too quickly in this game, that would just spoil the battles. But I am liking what I am seeing so far and even if it costs a pretty penny I will be buying it.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 08:58
probably.i buy cracked games :)

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 13:42

maybe 512 ram is enough am i wrong(please tell me that i am not wrong)

Put another 512mb to be sure.

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 15:54
i should download the demo

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 03:47

When the demo is going to be release?

-------------
My blog

Date Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 09:50
that should be soon.or i am gonna take my hunting rifle and storm CA and take the demo myself.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 03:23

that should be soon.or i am gonna take my hunting rifle and storm CA and take the demo myself.

LOLLOL

I would like to say that the most annoying feature in rome was  that some times others factions were sieging you all the time ( i do not know where they find so many money to create armies) and the game under these conditions was extremely boring.

-------------
My blog

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com