Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All Battles Quiz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Battles Quiz
    Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 06:33
Scores updated slightly before 4 hours. Had to do it, immense changes in scores... partly due to my wierd awarding systems..:D

Anyways, good to see that Knights didn't get all... oh, and 8th will still be a mystery... I don't think anyone except a Dutch will get it.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 10:00
Scores updated.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 13:15
Scores updated. Dawn yet climbing upwards.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 14:52
USA / Canada changed to DST the night between Saturday and Sunday. Subsequently the ending time for the quiz will change accordingly.

NOTICE:
Updated time for ending the All Battle Quiz

Monday, March 12'th
03:00 PM EST (default Server Time)
20:00 Central Europe (Paris)

Edited by Northman - 11-Mar-2007 at 14:54
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 17:26
Scores updated.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 20:38
No changes...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 00:12
Scores updated, No changes.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 05:10
Scores updated - no changes.

Please notice the time on the Score Table for europe is one hour ahead now that the time difference is reduced to 5 hours. The Quizz engine assumes 6 hour difference.

The correct time for any update will be the time of the post declaring the update (like this post)..
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 09:11
Scores updated!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 09:29
Originally posted by rider

oh, and 8th will still be a mystery... I don't think anyone except a Dutch will get it.

Which of course means I had to check it out... But I must admit that my knowledge of national history fails me... Embarrassed I have absolutely no idea...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 11:12
Lol.. I must say that I am confused with the 8th. First of all, two people have gotten a partially correct answer... good work... but the second part is suspicious.

Scores updated.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 11:25
Alright, after an extensive research, I have decided that that other half of the answer by Knights and Kapikulu were wrong. 
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 12:03

?

I didn't get what you mean...So all the answers given by Knights and me are originally wrong?
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 13:27
Nope, half of the answer you submitted is wrong for number 8th. This submission was wrong too (one half of it).

Scores updated. Dawn got 18th; no other changes.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 15:28
SCORES UPDATED FINALLY!

We have a winner!

Congratulations Knights!

The answers will be posted shortly.

Also, Praetor and Dawn, you put up quite a struggle... Neoptolemos, magnificent jump in the ending.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 15:31
Question 8
In this battle, a naval force of few ships, not more than 10 strong (without nonmilitary vessels) defeated a much larger force. The larger force lost half of the vessels with the smaller one losing none. The battle took place at night and due to the result of this battle, the winning side could capture a large area. Name the commanders of both sides. (Question by Rider)

Answer: Winning: Vice-Admiral Kondo; Losing: Admiral Doormann.

Question 12
What is a quote about the battle of Verdun, 1916? The quote is somewhat a token to the price of glory that was gained by French in the battle. (Question by Rider)

Answer: "It was the indecisive battle in an indecisive war, the unnecessary battle in an unnecessary war, the battle that had no victors in a war that had no victors."

Question 13
Between these two events were half a dozen of years. They both symbolized a clash of sides, and as usual, blood was spilled, of nobility and fraternity. These two events determined the way of life for the next hundreds of years. One decided to shape the fate of an organization, that was dissolved and the remnants incorporated to another similar organization; the other marked the boundaries of powers for hundreds of years to come. On both events the masters were killed and a great lot of subordinates as well. Once in a wet grave, the other time under the hot sun. (Question by Rider)

Answer: 1. The Battle of Sauga, 1236, where the Latgals and Semgals defeated the Livonian Brethern of the Sword; 2. The Battle on the Ice, 1242, where the Livonian Order was defeated, and many men fell into the icy waters of Lake Peipsi.

Question 15
It was an important battle, but often neglected. A new nation invaded an older one in its West. It marked the last offensive into the West from this new nation, and the absolute control over this territory by its enemy. (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: Battle at Perryville or Battle of Chaplin Hills

Question 17
The strong military ally of a country refused to openly defend it. Instead, it attacked the country's aggressor, and declared war against another neighbour. The country joins with the other two, forming an alliance that defeats and ruins the ally for decades. What is the name of this war? (Question by Hugoestr)

Answer: The War of the Triple Alliance - between Argentina, Brasil and Uruguay vs. Paraguay, in the 19th century.

Question 18
I was a great man during troubled times for my country. I was born into nobility on a land far away from my original homeland. I made war against four different states, but I should mention that I was not always in command - after all, I started as a pretty low man in the army. I was wounded in a battle, and I gained a higher rank due to the wound. A daring assault, led by me, which would remind some of the feats of the Noldoli took me even higher up in command. I controlled later on, in a catastrophic war, and army and I won great glory by devising a tactic new to the generals of our lands. I was most glorious in war but often misunderstood by my contemporaries. I died a few years after the long and exhausting war, being a count. I had no heirs of my line. I will award you with half a point more if you tell me which of my actions resembles a feat of the Noldoli. (Question by Rider)

Answer: Barclay de Tolly, Field-Marshal of the Imperial Russian Army. Feat of the Noldoli was the crossing of the Bay of Bothnia.

Question 19
In these two battles, a large trading empire fought bravely. In one of these, the empire outnumbered the enemies around two to one and although it lost a large number of troops to the enemy, it still managed to withstand the assault and drive the enemies away. By this encounter, the empire maintained a large and quite important territory. Around two hundred years later, the second battle took place. Now the sides had switched and the culture that had been defeated before, repaied the old debt. According to a legend, the troops of the empire that outnumbered the enemies around five times, deserted and fled the field, however one contignent withstood the assault and were annihilated to the last man. What were the two battles? (Question by Rider)

Answer: The Battles of Alalia and Crimissus

Question 20

This event began with a few hundred riders and a larger number of foot soldiers storming through the city. The man commanding this force was a noble, who previously had served at high offices during times of war and peace. Now, he wanted to repay a debt - his enemy had imprisoned his sons and nephew on false charges as he wanted the man to submit to his rule. The sons were released, but the nephew was kept in captivity. His enemy lived near him, and so he was informed of the gathering forces and he managed to slip away unharmed. The assault group was divided into three; one of these groups found an enemy detachment and leading them a traitor. The two contingencies began fighting and for a long time neither side had any success. One man, loyal supporter of the attacker, was a fabled warrior. He killed the nephew of his lords' enemy, and two other well known warriors. Still, the assault group started an orderly retreat. They remained actively in combat throughout the night. As they were tired, the enemy pinned them down with archers. When most men had lost hope, a large force came to support the assault. They didn't however use the moment of surprise and waited; enemy fortified himself on the streets. The enemy leaders also created a document which stated that the attackers were part of a rebellion. On these news, a large part of the attackers' force deserted. The rebels still managed to assault and advance, but suddenly the whole army turned to rout and flight due to an interesting event in which one of the rebels' leaders was killed. During the flight, the leader of the rebellion and his sons were killed in combat. However, the fabled warrior who had been successful from the start, gathered as many men as he could and escaped over water. What is this event known as? What was the event that brought the army into rout? (Question by Rider)

Answer: 1) It is known as the Wada rebellion; it took place in Kamakura, on the 2nd and 3rd of May, 1213. 2) The rout of the army was caused by an arrow that struck down a leader of the rebels. The arrow seemed to come from a temple and therefore it was thought to be a divine sign. Seeing this, the army ran.

Question 21
About the same event as the previous question: Who was the leader of the rebels? Who was the fabled soldier (who first killed three men, including a nephew of their enemy's lord and two others and then retreated with a large force over water)? (Question by Rider)

Answer: 1) Wada Yoshimori 2) Asaina (Asahina) Yoshihide
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 16:19
Well done everyone and congratulation to Knights for the 1'st place, but also to all participants - it was a tough job.
Wasn't it almost like a marathon? Wink

Rider - you have done a great job on this Clap Clap Clap  
Thank you and congratulations with a job well done
.ClapClap

Also a big thanks to Hugo and Omar for authoring some of the questions.

I think Knights deserves a medal - back to Photoshop. Smile

~ Northman
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 16:23
Originally posted by rider

Question 8
In this battle, a naval force of few ships, not more than 10 strong (without nonmilitary vessels) defeated a much larger force. The larger force lost half of the vessels with the smaller one losing none. The battle took place at night and due to the result of this battle, the winning side could capture a large area. Name the commanders of both sides. (Question by Rider)

Answer: Winning: Vice-Admiral Kondo; Losing: Admiral Doormann.

Which battle is that? I found Karel Doorman, but Kondo, being the Commander of Japanese Second Fleet, did not "directly" command such a force in any battle

The description of battle fits to Battle of Java Sea, however, Japanese force out there was more than 10 ships.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 16:26

Congratulations from me as well, Rider.Great Job! And all the question submitters as well...

Good questions, hard quiz, I think everybody was challenged and enjoyed.

By the way, I realized that Rider didn't leave his tradition of submitting one question regarding his homelandsWink
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 16:43
Well, I submitted two by that tradition actually. Both 13 and 18 can be counted as such...

Now, the battle was unnamed in the source where I took it from but was stated that the capture of Java was due to this; the Japanese had 30 troop transports, some destroyers and cruisers and were commanded by Rear-Admiral Kondo. The enemy fleet was however much larger and led by Admiral Doormann (spelled as that). The source was 'A Concise Military History' by Lord Montgomery so I don't think he was wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>