Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by Vercingetorix

In gaelic "scotland" is called Alba. Im not perfectly sure what it means but it seems quite similar to the old Irish word Allaban which means a wonderer so alba could mean home of the wanderers as the migrating dal riata found home there

Britain was called Albion by the Ancient Greeks. Isn't it possible that Alba is derived from Albion?
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 12:49

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think the Egyptian word was Makmetu, Ma in egyptian language means "Land" and we know that ancient Egyptians referred to themselves as Kmetu (Black people), so Makmetu means "Land of Black People".

No, Egypt does not mean "land of the black people", it's an afrocentric myth produced by black racists. The word Qmt simply means "Black", but the last hieroglyph (the "X" in a cirkle) is a determinative and points out that it is a place. If it would have been "Land of black people", a determinative hieroglyph in the shape of a man and a woman would have preceeded the "X" hieroglyph

Btw Egypt had many names in antiquity, most common was Tauwi - "The two lands"

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 01:19
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Originally posted by Vercingetorix

In gaelic "scotland" is called Alba. Im not
perfectly sure what it means but it seems quite similar to the old
Irish word Allaban which means a wonderer so alba could mean home of
the wanderers as the migrating dal riata found home there

Britain was called Albion by the Ancient Greeks. Isn't it possible that Alba is derived from Albion?

Originally posted by Etymonline.com

Albion
ancient name of England, O.E., from L., sometimes said to be from the non-I.E. base *alb "mountain," which may have produced L. Alpes "Alps" and Alba, an Ir. name for "Scotland." But more likely from L. albus "white" (see alb), which would be an apt description of the chalk cliffs of the island's southern coast.
"Breoton is garsecges ealond, t ws iu geara Albion haten." [translation of Bede's "Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum," c.900 C.E.]
Perfidious Albion translates Fr. rhetorical phrase la perfide Albion, supposedly first used by Napoleon I, a ref. to the treacherous policies of Britain in dealing with foreign powers.

Seems that it comes from either mountains or white.
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 16:10

Origin of the word HUNGARY goes back to IX/X centuries, when Magyar tribes were settling Carpatian Basin and invading Europe. Their way of living and fighting, normal for steppe nomads, reminded people HUNS, so they called them Hungarians. Moreover Hungarians themselves thought they are offsprings of Huns or at last their relatives. Even nowadays name ATILLA is as popular as it was in middle ages.

Ugric tribes of Magyars during their migration met Turkish tribes ON - OGUR, which means 'ten arrows' or 'ten generations', and lived with them on the steppes for few centuries. That`s why other nations mixed their names. Even emperor Constantine Porphirogen in his 'De administrande imperio' called Hungarians 'Turks'.

Hungarians call their homeland MAGYARORSZAG, which means 'the land of Magyars'. The word Magyar goes from MAGYARAZAT - to explain, to talk with understanding, so Magyar is 'the one who understands'.

Many nations have their name after words which have something to do with talking, understanding or explaining. Let`s  take SLAVS. The root of their name is SLOVO / SLOWO which means 'a word'. From that noun they called themselves SLOWIANIE - 'people who use words'. Names SLOVAKIA and SLOVENIA also derives from that. 

POLAND = POLSKA is from the name POLANIE, one of the tribes of western Slavs, as Polish Ucrainian Canadian mentioned above. The etymology of the name Polanie goes from POLE = 'a field'. So, Polska means not only 'land of Polanie', but first of all 'the land of fields'.      

Edited by Vajk
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2005 at 23:54

I think the Egyptian word was Makmetu, Ma in egyptian language means "Land" and we know that ancient Egyptians referred to themselves as Kmetu (Black people), so Makmetu means "Land of Black People".

No, Egypt does not mean "land of the black people", it's an afrocentric myth produced by black racists. The word Qmt simply means "Black", but the last hieroglyph (the "X" in a cirkle) is a determinative and points out that it is a place. If it would have been "Land of black people", a determinative hieroglyph in the shape of a man and a woman would have preceeded the "X" hieroglyph

Btw Egypt had many names in antiquity, most common was Tauwi - "The two lands"

Yes.  The land was called kmt, otherwise transliterated as Kemet, the "Black land", from km or k3m; "kem" or "kam", meaning "black".  The people were called rmtj n kmt transliterated as remetj en Kemet, meaning "people of the Black land". 

The hieroglyphs  themselves give the hint.  The first, the second, and the third hieroglyph on top of the circle, spell out k, m, and t.   Note the hieroglyph of the circle with the "x" in the inside.  This is the determinative for a place or locale.  The Egyptians use another determinative for a people or tribe. 

Edited by Sharrukin
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 18:10
Quote:

Yes.  The land was called kmt, otherwise transliterated as Kemet, the "Black land", from km or k3m; "kem" or "kam", meaning "black".  The people were called rmtj n kmt transliterated as remetj en Kemet, meaning "people of the Black land". 

I think that is wrong,  Egypt simply means Black land because the soil around the nile is  black. Egypt is also referred as the gift of the nile. But the original Egyptians were without doubt africans. After egypt open itself to the outside world, the pharaohs started to marry asians, somehow the royalty was less black afterward. By the time of the romans, the royalty was even white. The original population would have been something like btw the ethiopian and the nubians. The warrior like pharaohs usually came from the region near nubia to restore order each time the northern part was in anarchy.

The black racist have exaggerated the matter ,however, although the original egyptians were africans, the country after Ramses reign was dynamic and interacting with asia.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 04:16

I think that is wrong,  Egypt simply means Black land because the soil around the nile is  black.

Ummm, what is wrong?  I did not give a reason why it was called such, but, yes, that is probably the reason why.   The fertile black soil on both sides of the Nile, was in contrast to the d3shrt, or the dasheret, the "red land", i.e. the "desert" on both sides of the fertile land.

The Egyptians were interacting with Asia since predynastic times.  We know of prehistoric Mesopotamia and Elam establishing trade colonies as far afield as Syria, and motifs and artefacts found in Egypt, of predynastic context can be traced from Mesopotamian originals.  Anthropologists have determined that the predynastic Egyptians were already a mixed population.  While it is true that the impetus of Egyptian unification originated from the south, the origin of the southern culture originated in the north, in an earlier time. 

Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 17:28

ALBANIAThose who do not accept this view. Well I know your arguements already so......)

One of the first written evidences of the use of the word " Albanoi " as the name of an Illyrian tribe in what is now north-central Albania goes back to the 130 A.D., in a work of Tolomeo. Albanopolis of the Albani, a place located on the map of Ptolemy (3.12.20) and also named on an ancient family epitaph at Scupi, which has been identified with the Zgrdhesh hill-fort near Kruja in northern Albania. Moreover, Arbanon is just likely to be the name of a district - the plain of the Mat has been suggested - rather than particular place. An indication of movement from higher altitudes in a much earlier period has been detected in the distribution of place-names ending in -esh that appears to derive from the latin -enisis or -esis, between the Shkumbin and the Mat, with a concentration between Elbasan and Kruja.

The term Albanoi may have been slowly spread to other Illyrian tribes until its usage became universal among all the Albanian people. According to the Albanian scholar Fak bey Konitza, the term "Albania" did not displace "Illyria" completely until the end of the fourteenth century. The word "Alba" or "Arba" seems to be connected with the town Arba (modern Rab, Croatia), in prehistoric times inhabited by the Illyrian Liburnians, first mentioned in 360 BC. The root of the name comes from Illyrian Arb ("dark", "green", "wooded") and is simply transposed into antique names of Arba, Arva, Arbia which are mentioned by the cartographers of the time.

The derivation of the name Albania is of considerable antiquity, dating back perhaps to the pre-Celtic alb (hill), from whence Alps, or possibly from the Indo-European albh (white), from whence albino and Albion. Approximately a millennium after, some Byzantine writers use the words Albanon and Arbanon to indicate the region of Kruja. Under the Angi, in the XIII century, the names Albania and Albanenses indicate the whole country and all the population, as it is demonstrated by the works of many ancient Albanian writers such as Budi, Blanco and Bogdano. We first learn of Albanians in their native land as the Arbanites of Arbanon in Anna Comnenas' account (Alexiad 4) of the troubles in that region caused in the reign of her father Alexius I Comneus (1081- 1118) by the Normans. In History written in 1079-1080, Byzantine historian Michael Attaliates was first to refer to the Albanoi as having taken part in a revolt against Constantinople in 1043 and to the Arbanitai as subjects of the duke of Dyrrachium. The Italo-Albanians and the Albanian minorities (still present in Greece) have been called in different ways with the passing of the years: Arbnuer, Arbnor, Arbnesh, Arbresh. There seems to be no doubt that the root Alb- or Arb- is earlier than Shqip-, from which the modern name of the state (Shqipria) derives, a name which appears only in the time of the Turkish invasions. The Albanian name of the country, Shqipria, translates into English as "Land of the Eagles", hence the two-headed bird on the national flag and emblem, and because of the large presence of these animals in the mountainous zones of Albania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_and_history_of_the_name_ Albania

"Europe and Asia are finally mine. Woe to Chritendom. She has lost her sword and shield."
Ottoman Sultan after hearing of the death of Skenderbeg.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 16:11

Originally posted by JasSum

the term Macedonia is way older than doric and ionian settlers to be name given by them.
but i think we are over about it ...

i am confused just by the name of great britain ... whats so great about it?
:}}}

It's bigger than Little Britain - Brittany in modern English, Bretagne (as opposed to Grande Bretagne) in French.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 16:16

Originally posted by dark_one

In Russia Japan is pronounced Yaponia and China Kitay. IS the Russian r englsihw way more correct?

Russian Kitai corresponds to Engliah 'Cathay', though where they both come from I don't know.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 16:41

Originally posted by Hellinas

I think I heard somewhere that it's a greek word which means something like ....barbarian?????

Actually Bulgaria comes from the turkish "bulg" not exactly sure what it means, I think I've seen the meaning "mixed" giiven somewhere having to do with the many tribes of the area.

Surely the Bulgars were called Bulgars long before there were any Turks anywhere in sight. It might be a Slav word, it might be a Greek one, it might be an Illyrian (Albanian) one, but I don't see how it could be Turkish.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 23:46

Russian Kitai corresponds to Engliah 'Cathay', though where they both come from I don't know.

They both come from a Mongolic-speaking nation in northern China called the Kitat, which in the early 10th century became a khanate and by 947 took the Chinese dynastic title of Liao.  The Chinese called them the Khitan, but our "Cathay" ultimately derived from the Arabo-Persian version, Khitai.  In 936 the new Chinese emperor gave them the regions of Tatung and Beijing.  It was conquered by the Tungusic Jurchen between 1114 and 1123.  Thus during the existence of this empire, the term spread westwards, where it was applied to the whole of China. 

Surely the Bulgars were called Bulgars long before there were any Turks anywhere in sight. It might be a Slav word, it might be a Greek one, it might be an Illyrian (Albanian) one, but I don't see how it could be Turkish.

Before the Bulgars there were the Huns whose core group bore Turkic names, and whose skeletal remains display physical characteristics which can be traced to Mongolia.  Although there had been several etymologies for the word bulgar , the Turkic meaning of "mixed ones" rather fits their situation.  They were in fact a confederacy of various tribes of various origins. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by gcle2003

I think I heard somewhere that it's a greek word which means something like ....barbarian?????

Actually Bulgaria comes from the turkish "bulg" not exactly sure what it means, I think I've seen the meaning "mixed" giiven somewhere having to do with the many tribes of the area.

What do you mean by "there were any Turks anywhere in sight"? "Turk" is only used as a kaganate's name which included lots of central and west central asian nations in its population. There were lots of "Turkic" nations in central asia since thousands of years. "Turk" was only a name referring to the nation of the Kaganate that ruled most of these c.a. nations for a time period.

There existed nations called Uighurs, Oguz, Avars, Bulgars etc. since ancient times, far before the Gktrk empire and "Turk" name appeared as a single nation. So "Bulgar" is a Turkic name, from a Turkic language which was used by Huns and the other c.a. nations before them...

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by Christscrusader

Originally posted by JasSum

Defeating egypt and claiming its throne was the ultimate victory after one egypt remained under macedonian ruler for centuries. 

Yes, and it was said that after he died, his empire was split up into Greek Empires, never has it said Macedonian Empires. Ptolomy and his relatives all spoke and acted like greeks. All the cities in the middle east founded by Alexander were trying to be JUST like the cities in Ancient Greece. They  didn't speak Bulgarian as you do, nor did they decent from slavs. These people were who ruled were Hellens. SUch when the historians say when the Greeks were kicked out of India. No where does it say the Macedonians were kicked out of India. Its because the word is interchangible, because they are the same.

techniqly the macedonian's only invaded the punjabi part of pakistan, but i get what your saying.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 22:08

Yes, and it was said that after he died, his empire was split up into Greek Empires, never has it said Macedonian Empires. Ptolomy and his relatives all spoke and acted like greeks. All the cities in the middle east founded by Alexander were trying to be JUST like the cities in Ancient Greece. They  didn't speak Bulgarian as you do, nor did they decent from slavs. These people were who ruled were Hellens. SUch when the historians say when the Greeks were kicked out of India. No where does it say the Macedonians were kicked out of India. Its because the word is interchangible, because they are the same.

We never say "Greek Empires".  We say "Hellenistic kingdoms", meaning that they are derived culturally from Greece, but politically, they behaved contrary to Greek political thinking.  The Macedonians could never have enough of a population, much less enough troops to "hellenize" anybody.  The Macedonians only comprised the political elite, and their core armies.  All they did was open the floodgates to true Greek colonization, while they themselves held the monopoly of political power. 

In the case of Bactria and India, the demonstration of the above was the most clear.  The population was Greek ruled by a Macedonian elite.   However, after the Macedonian satrap of Bactria revolted from the Seleucids, it only took a little while before a true Greek deposed the Macedonians and ruled a truly Greek kingdom.  From then on, these Greek Bactrians made their presence felt in India.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 13:43
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Originally posted by gcle2003

What do you mean by "there were any Turks anywhere in sight"?

Anywhere in the Balkans. Obviously I didn't mean no Turks around anywhere. I didn't think 'Bulgar' was applied to the Bulgars (!) before they arrived in the Balkans. However, after doing some poking around, I accept I'm wrong here.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 02:26

Bulgarians are a turkish people that moved to eastern Balkan and later gave the name to nowaday Bulgaria. That was in some book o' mine.

The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 10:00
Originally posted by Winterhaze13

There is a funny story about the origin of Canada. When Jacques Cartier came to Canada he mistook the world "Kanata", as being a native nation like the ojibwa, but the native who he was talking to was refering to a village. So the word "Kanata", which eventually evolved into Canada means village. Nice story I think.
I had seen that on TV. I like is very much.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 10:13

Originally posted by General Pompeius Magnus

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

There is a funny story about the origin of Canada. When Jacques Cartier came to Canada he mistook the world "Kanata", as being a native nation like the ojibwa, but the native who he was talking to was refering to a village. So the word "Kanata", which eventually evolved into Canada means village. Nice story I think.
I had seen that on TV. I like is very much.

Heritage moment, right?

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Antiochus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Antiochus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 10:19

Correct! Bulgaria means sth like land of a tribe which is formed from many tribes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>