Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A neighbourly dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A neighbourly dilemma
    Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:18
I think you should stop whinging about hausfraus, labourers, and your poncy ladder, and move to some Mexican shanty. I hear they are very neighbourly and generous.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 09:37
Stop it, the mans a legend, let him speak like a 19th century Imperialist if he wants to.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 08:47
Originally posted by nuvolari

Originally posted by Parnell

[QUOTE=nuvolari]QUOTE]

Nuvolari,

Never change who you are. Your the last remnant of a dying race of old English gentlemen.

They don't make them like they used to LOL

I have no plan to change,amigo.  And even less to join that "dying" race just yet !
As for their not being made like they used to - well, that is half of the bloody problem, since being of that particular stamp, how can one expect a 30something German hausfrau to even begin to understand an Old School ex officer English gentleman, since even the memsahib occasionally fails to understand who she married !!

Never ever heard of one using those expressions. Never ever hear of one mentioning doing things free of charge. Never ever heard  of one associating cars and prices. Never heard of one making monetary insults.

One of my uncles was a High Commissioner in one of the Indian States. Never referred to his wife like that.

Seems more to me that these expressions are not real.

BTW yes I have served in the Armed Forces and it seems I have several years start on you.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 04:19
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

A book that talks about absolutely nothing? Reminds me of that sitcom show "Seinfeld" =0

Well that was a damn good show so maybe it would be a good book!
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 13:52
A book that talks about absolutely nothing? Reminds me of that sitcom show "Seinfeld" =0
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 13:38
Nuvolari - PLEASE WRITE A BOOK. I'd pay anything to read it.
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 12:30
Originally posted by Peteratwar

Your general reaction as shown to an incredibly minor incident.

Your own hackneyed cliches in describing the workers who seem to be around your property, half of them with malicious intent.

All of these with the general tenor of your posts would indicate implausibility

OK, OK, let's introduce an element of courtesy into the proceedings, since I (as do you, I am sure ) have better things to do than exchange inanities.  May we first of all, though, accept that what might have appeared to you to be an"incredibly minor incident" (and if it does, then I admire your sang froid ! ), does not appear that way to me. It didn't when it happened and it still doesn't several days later.  That being the case, I find it difficult to concede that any part of what I described in this forum has any degree of implausibility, which, as it happens, is a polite way of calling someone a bloody liar, and you would do well to consider that since it is not a nice thing to call someone.  If you wish to persist in your allegations, why don't you be more specific ?  I doubt that I could respond to them with any degree of plausibility that would satisy you, even if you wanted me to try, but it would help readers of this forum (including myself) understand exactly what you find to be so implausible.  By the bye, rightly or wrongly I have asumed from your name "Peteratwar" that you might be an old war horse like myself, who despite not yet being of pensionable age, saw service in several global conflicts.  In this respect, first of all I wouldn't want to upset any of my ex military peers (which may,perhaps, include yourself ? ), and secondly, should I even remotely allude to ANY part of my activities in uniform, then you, and doubtless many other readers of this forum, certainly might find that implausible..............whereas arguments with neighbours over a bloody ladder are so picayune as to be total nothingnesses !
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 12:08
Your general reaction as shown to an incredibly minor incident.

Your own hackneyed cliches in describing the workers who seem to be around your property, half of them with malicious intent.

All of these with the general tenor of your posts would indicate implausibility
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 11:49

Methinks he doth protest too much

Never mind about all of your vague allusions and hackneyed cliches----------  put up or shut up !
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 11:46
Methinks he doth protest too much

In any event the lending of a ladder to a neighbour must rank as one of the least important events in the world at large.

Anyone thinking otherwise must be leading a very sad life

Edited by Peteratwar - 10-Mar-2009 at 11:53
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 11:39

H'm having reread all this, I now find I have very grave doubts as to whether any of this happened at all!

Seems more like a story to wind people up.

For Heavens sake, are you now adding incredulity to your stupidity ?   Assuming that you don't live permanently in an oxygen tent, padded cell, iron lung or space capsule ( or a combination of all four ! ), is your life so devoid of interest or incident that NOTHING at all of any significance, even the lending of a ladder to an idiot neighbour, happens to you ?
Not that I give a tinkers cuss what it is that you find so implausible, but others may wish to know, so why not substantiate your claim..................either that or just shut the f**k up  !
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 11:30
H'm having reread all this, I now find I have very grave doubts as to whether any of this happened at all!

Seems more like a story to wind people up.
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 11:13

Yes, keep it coming!

I shall do what I can, compadre.  The mere fact that I am as definitive an example of an English WASP as can possibly be found, and that this past week my house and garden has been filled with builders/painters/plumbers and brickies, all of whom have names like Patrick, Seamus,Finn,Brendan and Coll etc. should provide ample scope for further reportage, especially when I eventually find out who it was who reversed his digger into my 150 year old ash tree knocking it to f**k  !!!, and then tried to cover up the crime by concreting the f******r back into the ground.  I look forward later this week to Thursday evening, when upon completion of the contract and over a celebratory Guinness and fish supper at my house, I interrogate Paddy and his little gang as to whom was responsible.   My wife, who was especially found of that tree, will be heating up the instruments of torture even as I pour the Guinness and unwrap the cod and chips !!
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 10:57
Yes, keep it coming!
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 10:56
Originally posted by edgewaters

Irrespective of whomsoever may have taken advantage of my ladder being left in plain view, as long as it lay where my neighbour left it, it was in an exposed position and might have been stolen.   Moreover, criminals or not, the average construction worker is no saint, so an opportunity to half hitch a very saleable ladder would have been irresistable to any brickie, roofer or sundry pikey that drove by ( it might be sensible at this juncture to point out that my local church has had the lead stolen from its roof four times in three years and a 30 foot ladder would greatly facilitate the next roof stripping adventure ! Not only that, but my local police force and Neighbourhood Watch recently leaflettted everyone locally instructing that ladders, if left outside, should be changed to a nearby cast iron down pipe )).  Furthermore, the request on my part for notice of the ladders return arises every time they aplogise for keeping the sodding thing so long anyway, so memory lapse or ignorance won't fly on that one !

Maybe you've got a point but ... why on Earth do suburbanites get so upset about these things? I mean ... it's a ladder! Ok, they are selfish, inconsiderate, self-entitled, etc. Par for the course in the upscale part of town, isn't it?

My dear chum.   In order not to occupy too much space on this forum, I first recounted this sad tale in a condensed format.  I didn't mention the fact that had I have entered my house from the rear, I wouldn't have even know the ladder was there. Not only would this have left it exposed and vulnerable to theft until somebody eventually spotted it at the front of the house , but had I have gone to my garage via the rear door, started up my £130,000 Aston Martin and driven it out, I would have ridden over the bloody ladder and smashed the arse off my car. The other details, like when I borrow their tools I always thank them profusely, very often offering a nice bottle of burgundy or similar, all pale into insignificance, but nevertheless remain valid.  I am glad, though, that you have accepted the fact that my neighbours wife was selfish and inconsiderate etc., since these are things that stick in the craw of the English middle classes, who, even in this decayed and despoiled age, still endeavour to subscribe to virtues unknown to the woman in question.
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 10:43

Challenge her to a duel with swords ?    F**k me, she'd skewer me !  She's half my age, fit as a butchers dog , and, being German, would take no prisoners !   She could keep the sodding ladder before I'd fight her with a sword.  I plan to poison her dog, or maybe just superglue all her house  locks up.  Then again, I could always pour a cup full of sugar into her Beamer's petrol tank. My gardener showed me a handful of copper nails this morning and said he'd bang a few into each of her prized laburnum trees - that'd fix those buggers !.................as would pouring a half pint of copper sulphate solution into her coi carp pond.Then again, a nice fat and greasy human turd thrown into her swimming pool would spoil her day....................ah, revenge is such a sweet dish, I'm positively salivating just thinking about it !

Nuvolari,

Never change who you are. Your the last remnant of a dying race of old English gentlemen.

I have no plan to change,amigo.  And even less to join that "dying" race just yet !
As for their not being made like they used to - well, that is half of the bloody problem, since being of that particular stamp, how can one expect a 30something German hausfrau to even begin to understand an Old School ex officer English gentleman, since even the memsahib occasionally fails to understand who she married !!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 09:12
move on but do not forget, they will need something later on. When that happens tell them to f* off and everything is even again.

stuff this forgiveness morals, its gets you nowhereSmile
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 20:52

Irrespective of whomsoever may have taken advantage of my ladder being left in plain view, as long as it lay where my neighbour left it, it was in an exposed position and might have been stolen.   Moreover, criminals or not, the average construction worker is no saint, so an opportunity to half hitch a very saleable ladder would have been irresistable to any brickie, roofer or sundry pikey that drove by ( it might be sensible at this juncture to point out that my local church has had the lead stolen from its roof four times in three years and a 30 foot ladder would greatly facilitate the next roof stripping adventure ! Not only that, but my local police force and Neighbourhood Watch recently leaflettted everyone locally instructing that ladders, if left outside, should be changed to a nearby cast iron down pipe )).  Furthermore, the request on my part for notice of the ladders return arises every time they aplogise for keeping the sodding thing so long anyway, so memory lapse or ignorance won't fly on that one !

Maybe you've got a point but ... why on Earth do suburbanites get so upset about these things? I mean ... it's a ladder! Ok, they are selfish, inconsiderate, self-entitled, etc. Par for the course in the upscale part of town, isn't it?

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 20:40

Challenge her to a duel with swords ?    F**k me, she'd skewer me !  She's half my age, fit as a butchers dog , and, being German, would take no prisoners !   She could keep the sodding ladder before I'd fight her with a sword.  I plan to poison her dog, or maybe just superglue all her house  locks up.  Then again, I could always pour a cup full of sugar into her Beamer's petrol tank. My gardener showed me a handful of copper nails this morning and said he'd bang a few into each of her prized laburnum trees - that'd fix those buggers !.................as would pouring a half pint of copper sulphate solution into her coi carp pond.Then again, a nice fat and greasy human turd thrown into her swimming pool would spoil her day....................ah, revenge is such a sweet dish, I'm positively salivating just thinking about it !

Nuvolari,

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 20:15
Granted, I don't know them, and I don't know you. I could only speculate from what you wrote in your first posts. One year is a long time, so I understand the frustration. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>