Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest modern army?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Poll Question: Which was the greatest modern army?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [29.52%]
7 [6.67%]
12 [11.43%]
3 [2.86%]
2 [1.90%]
2 [1.90%]
46 [43.81%]
2 [1.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest modern army?
    Posted: 22-May-2006 at 13:53
we talk about modern day huh?but consider that today there isn't any state by the name austro-hungarian.austrohungarian armies lead by eugine, prince of savoy, were effective and caused terror but as a prussian army fun i have to go with germany
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 13:28

Originally posted by Dampier

So when did Tsialkowsky develop the concept and what proof there? Any links would be appreciated.

First Soviet nuke is August 1949, the Japanese connection i ahev no proof for as it was just a documentary I watched. However the basic fact was that the Soviet nucleur program worked more off the Atomic Spies than actual Soviet development, the 1949 device basicly being a copy of the US "Fat Man" used in 1945.

maybe it is not true, because you watched UK documentary, but maybe it is, however, I heard that USSR made sifrst fission bomb (hydrogen), is it true, do you know?

Here is the link:

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blrocketTsiolkovsky.htm

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 11:50
So when did Tsialkowsky develop the concept and what proof there? Any links would be appreciated.

First Soviet nuke is August 1949, the Japanese connection i ahev no proof for as it was just a documentary I watched. However the  basic fact was that the Soviet nucleur program worked more off the Atomic Spies than actual Soviet development, the 1949 device basicly being a copy of the US "Fat Man" used in 1945.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 00:10

No but Japan was about to have nukes in 1945, Russia never developed one till 1950. And the Japnese scientists had worked alongside some of the German scientists so they knew what was going on.

No idea for your second question. H.G. Wells comes to mind but i feel its bound to be some Russian in the 15th century....

Yeah, the answer to question is Tsialkowsky, he was the first to develop the concepts of rocekt and how it would travel in to heavens.

USSR had nukes in 1949, and I don't think Japan was about to have nukes in 1945, do you have any references Dampier?

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 18:38
No but Japan was about to have nukes in 1945, Russia never developed one till 1950. And the Japnese scientists had worked alongside some of the German scientists so they knew what was going on.

No idea for your second question. H.G. Wells comes to mind but i feel its bound to be some Russian in the 15th century....
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 14:22

Actually Japan is fairly self sufficent on itsd own and while obviously they might lose in the long run thats only if you ignore all other factors (the Allies, the other Axis etc). Not to mention that its entirely possible Japanese scientists would be able to develop their own nucleur bombs, I remember a program in which they said that Germany actually sent a U-boat with fissile materials, instructions and the like to Japan but it was made to surrender to Royal Navy ships off S. America (cant remember if they surrendured voluntary or if the British ships got to them).

Trouble is of course that while Russia would hold the mainland they woudl lose the initiative and commando raids can be devestating (check the role of the British Royal Marines Commandos, SBS, SAS, LRDG etc).

I think USSR would develope nuclear bombs first, I read that when Moscow was about to take Berlin, Stalin ordered to get to some laboratory first, before allies at all costs, because it is there that german scientists developed nukes.

Here is an interesting question, I wonder if you guys know that:

Who was the VERY first person to develop the concept of rocket and most importantly of a rocekt that would fly us to stars? He didn't build rocket, he developed concept and theory. You know who is that.

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 13:37
Actually Japan is fairly self sufficent on itsd own and while obviously they might lose in the long run thats only if you ignore all other factors (the Allies, the other Axis etc). Not to mention that its entirely possible Japanese scientists would be able to develop their own nucleur bombs, I remember a program in which they said that Germany actually sent a U-boat with fissile materials, instructions and the like to Japan but it was made to surrender to Royal Navy ships off S. America (cant remember if they surrendured voluntary or if the British ships got to them).

Trouble is of course that while Russia would hold the mainland they woudl lose the initiative and commando raids can be devestating (check the role of the British Royal Marines Commandos, SBS, SAS, LRDG etc).
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 18:07

Never said the Japanese could conquer Russia, merely that they could raid and pillage coastland and generally being a pain.

USSR cant order that many AA guns....and trouble is while you only have to hold strategic areas thats still an awful lot os coast and an awful lot of strategic areas. Hell most armies cant even protect themselves with AA let alone the whole Eastern coast of Asia! Japanese planes could still mass up at certain areas to launch raids en masse that AA couldnt stop.

Japan cant beat Russia on land but Russia cant beat Japan on sea or islands.

Carriers move faster than artillery does and have far more range.

Japan doesnt need mainland resources, it did fine enough on its own and while they would produce less what does that matter, they are the only ones who can take the initiative because they can choose where to go, Russia just has to sit and wait for the attacks.

If there is long range artillery that can beat ships then 1) its rare enough so cant be everywhere 2) Japanese just use their battleships whose guns can shoot furthur or just raid and destroy the artillery by night.

Soldiers arent everythin mate, Russia lost more than Germany in WW2 but still was a winner.

Well, now I kinda agree, because it seemed that other guys were arguing that Japan could invade USSR.

Well, about Russia sitting there and waiting for attack, it has been actually sitting there and doing this for a long time, lol.

I obviously agree that USSR could not launch a full scale attack on Japan, because it is an island, but I still think that this island will be cut off supplies sooner or later, it may take coastline, but sooner or later it will have to advance further in to mainland, by sooner or later I mean a lot of time, and then it will get beaten there and finally run out of supplies.

Although being on an island is called strategic advantage, I think that being on a large mainland with a lot of resources is more of an advantage.

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 17:58
Never said the Japanese could conquer Russia, merely that they could raid and pillage coastland and generally being a pain.

USSR cant order that many AA guns....and trouble is while you only have to hold strategic areas thats still an awful lot os coast and an awful lot of strategic areas. Hell most armies cant even protect themselves with AA let alone the whole Eastern coast of Asia! Japanese planes could still mass up at certain areas to launch raids en masse that AA couldnt stop.

Japan cant beat Russia on land but Russia cant beat Japan on sea or islands.

Carriers move faster than artillery does and have far more range.

Japan doesnt need mainland resources, it did fine enough on its own and while they would produce less what does that matter, they are the only ones who can take the initiative because they can choose where to go, Russia just has to sit and wait for the attacks.

If there is long range artillery that can beat ships then 1) its rare enough so cant be everywhere 2) Japanese just use their battleships whose guns can shoot furthur or just raid and destroy the artillery by night.

Soldiers arent everythin  mate, Russia lost more than Germany in WW2 but still was a winner.
Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 17:19
 -O, Russian... Do you have any references to back up your statements? What you're doing now is saying "this is how it is and that's it". That is not the way to conduct a discussion. Japans superior air capabilities, strong navy and strategic location would be too much of a match for USSR at that time. Do you have the faintest idea of how hard it is to cut off an island(Well, Islands)? It's hard enough to cut of a landlocked area.

"can artillery be moved where carriers are YES."
 -Errr, no. It'd get a bit wet for the artillery crew I think... Artillery cannot be moved quickly enough to keep ships in check. Just moving the artillery from place to place would be an immense strain on the army.

-The Zero was one of the best airplanes of WWII, beaten only by the P-51. The Russian Yak wasn't all that good.

-I doubt that Japan would have been able to attack USSR with much luck. The USSR army would be too much of an obstacle, but the same is true the other way around. Japans position, air superiority and strong navy would stop the USSR cold.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 15:14

Ahhh...
USSR couldnt go into China "officially" as US can nuke there (hence the "unoffical" Russian units turning up during the Chinese and Korean wars.

Next air power is VERY important, look at the battles of the Korean war, the UN forces only held on because of air power.

Secondly AA isnt all its cracked up to be, in London the Germans used heavy bombers which flew out of range of British AA guns, the only way to destroy them was with nightfighters. Not only that but the Luftwaffe was a tactical not strategic airforce. She lacked numbers, size, bomb carrying capacity,defences, range and height(compare any German bomber to something like the Lancaster, Flying Fortress or Sunderland). Stukas are there to cause chaos and panic ahead of advancing mobile units not to pound people into submission, and particually not in a city as wrecked as Stalingrad. Moreover as the Stuka is a dive bomber it cannot come too low for fear of hitting buildings and the lower it comes the more chance of AA hitting it.

IL-2 was a brilliant plane though.

USSR might be able to beat Japanese land forces in Manchuria and Korea perhaps but the Japanese only fought one major land campaign and that was in Burma, in the jungles (which USSR troops would find very difficult going). The Pacific war is always about naval power and seizing the islands, something the Russian navy could not do. The Russian navy being small, obsolete and incapable compared to the brilliant Imperial Japanese navy. Not only that but Russia lacked carriers, soemthing of particular importnce when against Kamikaze. Trouble is Russia might hold the mainlands but Japan would be far from beaten and would retain control of the islands.

IL-2 would do fairly decentyly but the Zero is an undisputed master plane, not only that but the Japanese air force was better traine dthan the Russian and Russia would lack bases to use their planes from against Japan itself.

USSR has to go island hopping only if it wants to win, the islands are very resourceful (Singapore? Hong Kong?) as well as providing air bases. Japan can supply itself fairly well and Koreans and Chinese would no doubt be just as discontented with the Commissars and NKVD as with the cruel Japanese opression. Japanese planes can use carriers, does the USSR have enough money to buy the requisite numbers of fighters and AA guns to cover all of the coast of China, Russia and the like? No, nor does it have radar. Japanese planes would be able to raid at will. And why would any halfway intelligent Japanese admiral or captain come into artillery range? Moreover many battleships can outrange most artillery. Nor did Russia have enough artilley to cover all the costal areas. In a similar vein Japanese carriers can launch air strikes on the artillery or spot themfor the ships.

Would Japan really go on the offensive, read up on the Russo-Japanese war- yes.

Ok, Nato held in North Korea only because North Korea didn't have anything against air.

USSR WAS able to put AA guns, it needn't not have any money, it just orders from the factory, and it is done.

Japan would go on the offensive against USSR land army Dampier, if you say so, I will repeat it, it is a very funny statement, it was impossible for Japan to go versus USSR on land, simply impossible.

ok, for the same reason, let me ask you some questions:

Did Japan have enough carriers to cover all shore of China, NO, can artillery be moved where carriers are YES.

Did Japan have enough aircraft to attack along all shore of China, NO, it would attack only strategic targets, and USSR would have more than enough AA guns to protect them, production capabilities were bigger than of any other country.

So, as you see, we don't need AA guns all along shore of China.

Ok, let's keep all other countries away from this theoreticall conflict, ok? So, in this case, USSR would go where ever it wants on land, and I hold that it WOULD cut resources from Japan.

Ok, if Russia has control of mainland, where there are more resources, on mainland or islands? Mainland, so, who would last longer concerning supplies, USSR, and I mean long run here.

In similar way, long range artillery would spot ships and open fire when they are coming, because not all land based artillery will be outranged by ships.

Would Kwantung Army go on the offensive against USSR Red Army: NO. Russo-Japanese war was fought in a poor staate of Russia's Army, it was not NEARLY as powerful as it will be 40 years later. You are greatly mistaken Dampier if you think Kwantung army would even start offensive against USSR. Are you saying that Japan would defeat soviet Union via invasion?
read:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1986/RMF.htm

by the way, Japan lost more soldiers in Russo-Japanese war, although still won.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 13:15
Ahhh...
USSR couldnt go into China "officially" as US can nuke there (hence the "unoffical" Russian units turning up during the Chinese and Korean wars.
Next air power is VERY important, look at the battles of the Korean war, the UN forces only held on because of air power.

Secondly AA isnt all its cracked up to be, in London the Germans used heavy bombers which flew out of range of British AA guns, the only way to destroy them was with nightfighters. Not only that but the Luftwaffe was a tactical not strategic airforce. She lacked numbers, size, bomb carrying capacity,defences, range and height(compare any German bomber to something like the Lancaster, Flying Fortress or Sunderland). Stukas are there to cause chaos and panic ahead of advancing mobile units not to pound people into submission, and particually not in a city as wrecked as Stalingrad. Moreover as the Stuka is a dive bomber it cannot come too low for fear of hitting buildings and the lower it comes the more chance of AA hitting it.

IL-2 was a brilliant plane though.

USSR might be able to beat Japanese land forces in Manchuria and Korea perhaps but the Japanese only fought one major land campaign and that was in Burma, in the jungles (which USSR troops would find very difficult going). The Pacific war is always about naval power and seizing the islands, something the Russian navy could not do. The Russian navy being small, obsolete and incapable compared to the brilliant Imperial Japanese navy. Not only that but Russia lacked carriers, soemthing of particular importnce when against Kamikaze. Trouble is Russia might hold the mainlands but Japan would be far from beaten and would retain control of the islands.

IL-2 would do fairly decentyly but the Zero is an undisputed master plane, not only that but the Japanese air force was better traine dthan the Russian and Russia would lack bases to use their planes from against Japan itself.

USSR has to go island hopping only if it wants to win, the islands are very resourceful (Singapore? Hong Kong?) as well as providing air bases. Japan can supply itself fairly well and Koreans and Chinese would no doubt be just as discontented with the Commissars and NKVD as with the cruel Japanese opression. Japanese planes can use carriers, does the USSR have enough money to buy the requisite numbers of fighters and AA guns to cover all of the coast of China, Russia and the like? No, nor does it have radar. Japanese planes would be able to raid at will. And why would any halfway intelligent Japanese admiral or captain come into artillery range? Moreover many battleships can outrange most artillery. Nor did Russia have enough artilley to cover all the costal areas. In a similar vein Japanese carriers can launch air strikes on the artillery or spot themfor the ships.

Would Japan really go on the offensive, read up on the Russo-Japanese war- yes.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 12:08

Originally posted by Illuminati

Originally posted by Russian

Japan was NO match for Soviet Union in WW2, ask anyone, you
grunt, USSR would WIPE OUT Japan in NO time.
No, they definitely
would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't
step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win
against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle.
Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy
just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would
stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to
the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much
better than Russia's. Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's
Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to
island?If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done
squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was
able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island
strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would
have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and
airforce? as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They
had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

have you though about this:

Where the hell would Japan get it's resources? it is pretty small,
it would be surrounded BIG TIME, it would have NO resources, but once
it's ships would come up to land, they would have the crap bombed out
of them.

Japan was not nearly as powerful as USSR, it had no resources to
fight USSR, while USSR had resources to fight anybody, my friend, USA
in total war was also not as powerful as USSR, the most powerful army
of all time (if compared to armies of it's time) is definitely Red
Army, not German Army.

I know it would be hard to land on Japan, but if they would, I hope
you agree that we wouldn't be seing Japan as it is now, and it was no
impossible to land on Japanese soil.

Japanese navy WOULDn't stop any russian major advance my friend, Germans didn't, how Japan could, it was not nearly as strong.

Japan would be left without ANY resources against Russia whatsoever, and it would lose in long run.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of
USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye
bye Japan.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily,
where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who
had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was
this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of
all supplies.

US played a big role by stopping Japan, but it was not nearly as
big as the role of USSR of stoppping German army, it is not just my
opinion, it is true, but it is just not politically correct to say that
Russia or USSr did anything good, that's why you, my friend, have no
clue of how powerful USSR was, hence your ignorance of the fact that it
would defeat Japan.

Russia had a terible navy. It was ill-equipped and was small in
numbers. Thats a fact. Not to mention history on Japan's side.
Remember, Russia got it's but kicked by Japan's navy in the
japanese-russo war. Your baltic fleet was completely destroyed.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily,
where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who
had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was
this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of
all supplies.

lol....please look at a globe.

YOU CAN'T SURROUND JAPAN WITHOUT A NAVY. IT'S AN ISLAND

Japan's supply lines ran through the pacific and into South East Asia! That's why Japan had been invading msot of the South Pacific and South East Asia!!
Do you know anything about WW2??

Russia had no way of
cutting those lines. Russia had no South Pacific bases. Thus, no way to stage an attack on japanese
supply lines.and you said I was ignorant....

In order to threaten Japanese supply lines Russia would ahve to mvoe
it's land army down thru china and into the rest of South east Asia.
And that wasn't a possibility.

How are you going to get Russian troops from island to island in the pacific with no navy??

and what about teh fact that Japan's air force was superior in
technology and numbers than the Russian air force. remember, the
russian air force was terribly defeated by the German during their
attack. Russia had a poor air force during WW2. Russia won because of
brute force man power and because they were able to use their masses of
T-34's effectively.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of
USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye
bye Japan.Zero's

Not at all. the russians had inferior planes. Japanese Zero's were
better than most planes in the war. Plus, where is russia going to fly
their planes from? You could only fly out of USSR, which would not have
worked agaisnt a superior air force that knows you can only launch
attacks out of one place.

Russia would be at the mercy of teh japanese air force. The japanese
with navy had many carriers. How many did Russia have? None.

Furthermore, you show your lack of strategic knowledge in comparing the
GROUND war against Germany to the Pacific NAVAL theatre where the USSR
would have to be island hopping to be able to beat Japan.

Russia had no way of countering japanese carrier fleets which would ahve put Russia on the defensive.

face the facts: russia had no way of cutting the pacific supply lines
of Japan. Russia had no navy to attack or transport troops to japanese
islands. Russia's air force could't defeat Japan's air force. Russia
has no real strategy to defeat japanese carrier fleets which could
travel and strike from Russia from many different directions. Russia
had no pacific base with which to even attempt to attack japanese
supply lines. You're also assuming that Russia would eb on the
offenseive. With japan's superior air force and naval capablites,
Russia would be getting bombed alot more than japan would.

OMg, dude, you really don't have a clue, don't you.

USSR could go in to China, USSR could go WHERVER IT WANTED, except western Europe, because there were US nukes, although that was still a possibility, it WAS a possibility, my friend, get a clue about Red Army.

USSR's IL-2, flying tank was not that bad, that's first thing, second thing, there is such thing as AA guns, you are GREATLY overestimating air forces power, USSR in Stalingrad was at mercy of German Army Stuka diving bombers, did they win though? NOPE, because of AA guns and the amount of them my friend, Air is not everything, do not overestimate air forces, strong enough land army can defeat air forces of the enemy above them.

If there would be a total war between Japan and USSR, USSR would not even doubt about wiping out Southeast or any other part of Asia with it's land army, to which there was no match whatsoever, I don't think eny country in South East Asia would oppose USSR.

The fact is: Russia WOULD have ways to cut supplies, Japan would have been left without supplies and then it is done.

And I asked you for proof of the fact that japanese planes were better, all I heard was just your opinion, nothing else, a link maybe will do it, not biased link though, I think russian Il-2s would do good against Japanese fighters.

Why USSR has to be island hopping? Just go to the mainland, capture it all, and you are done, no supply for Japan, leave islands to Japan, let it have them, there is not much resources there, not nearly as much as there is in mainland, oh, and once Japanese planes appear over USSR border, they are hit down, once Japanese warships (except aircraft carriers) appear near USSR shores, USSR shows them the meaning of a word artillery.

So, you, my friend, suggest that Japan would be on offensive and it would land and attack USSR's land army? Well, if you suggest this, it is funniest thing I have ever heard.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by Russian

Japan was NO match for Soviet Union in WW2, ask anyone, you grunt, USSR would WIPE OUT Japan in NO time.
No, they definitely would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle. Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much better than Russia's. Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to island?If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and airforce? as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

Where the hell would Japan get it's resources? it is pretty small, it would be surrounded BIG TIME, it would have NO resources, but once it's ships would come up to land, they would have the crap bombed out of them.

Japan was not nearly as powerful as USSR, it had no resources to fight USSR, while USSR had resources to fight anybody, my friend, USA in total war was also not as powerful as USSR, the most powerful army of all time (if compared to armies of it's time) is definitely Red Army, not German Army.

I know it would be hard to land on Japan, but if they would, I hope you agree that we wouldn't be seing Japan as it is now, and it was no impossible to land on Japanese soil.

Japanese navy WOULDn't stop any russian major advance my friend, Germans didn't, how Japan could, it was not nearly as strong.

Japan would be left without ANY resources against Russia whatsoever, and it would lose in long run.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye bye Japan.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily, where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of all supplies.

US played a big role by stopping Japan, but it was not nearly as big as the role of USSR of stoppping German army, it is not just my opinion, it is true, but it is just not politically correct to say that Russia or USSr did anything good, that's why you, my friend, have no clue of how powerful USSR was, hence your ignorance of the fact that it would defeat Japan.

Russia had a terible navy. It was ill-equipped and was small in numbers. Thats a fact.  Not to mention history on Japan's side. Remember, Russia got it's but kicked by Japan's navy in the japanese-russo war. Your baltic fleet was completely destroyed.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily, where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of all supplies.

lol....please look at a globe.

YOU CAN'T SURROUND JAPAN WITHOUT A NAVY. IT'S AN ISLAND

Japan's supply lines ran through the pacific and into South East Asia! That's why Japan had been invading msot of the South Pacific and South East Asia!!
Do you know anything about WW2??

Russia had no way of cutting those lines. Russia had no South Pacific bases. Thus, no way to stage an attack on japanese supply lines.

and you said I was ignorant....

In order to threaten Japanese supply lines Russia would ahve to mvoe it's land army down thru china and into the rest of South east Asia. And that wasn't a possibility.
How are you going to get Russian troops from island to island in the pacific with no navy??

and what about teh fact that Japan's air force was superior in technology and numbers than the Russian air force. remember, the russian air force was terribly defeated by the German during their attack. Russia had a poor air force during WW2. Russia won because of brute force man power and because they were able to use their masses of T-34's effectively.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye bye Japan.Zero's 

Not at all. the russians had inferior planes. Japanese Zero's were better than most planes in the war. Plus, where is russia going to fly their planes from? You could only fly out of USSR, which would not have worked agaisnt a superior air force that knows you can only launch attacks out of one place.

Russia would be at the mercy of teh japanese air force. The japanese with navy had many carriers. How many did Russia have? None.

Furthermore, you show your lack of strategic knowledge in comparing the GROUND war against Germany to the Pacific NAVAL theatre where the USSR would have to be island hopping to be able to beat Japan.

Russia had no way of countering japanese carrier fleets which would ahve put Russia on the defensive.

face the facts: russia had no way of cutting the pacific supply lines of Japan. Russia had no navy to attack or transport troops to japanese islands. Russia's air force could't defeat Japan's air force. Russia has no real strategy to defeat japanese carrier fleets which could travel and strike from Russia from many different directions. Russia had no pacific base with which to even attempt to attack japanese supply lines. You're also assuming that Russia would eb on the offenseive. With japan's superior air force and naval capablites, Russia would be getting bombed alot more than japan would.

Edited by Illuminati - 19-May-2006 at 21:13
Death View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 16:00
Batyuska                Wink

Your a good man but young, i was thinking like that when i was 11 too.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:41

Originally posted by Death

So Russian you say that USSR was stronger then the Germans?Yeah you beat Germany,why?,....because the whole world joined against them.No,no my friend.You can claim what you want but USSR could never have deafeted Germany had they been fighting amongs themselves,alone.

well, we can not know that, after dissolution of USSR documents have been released that showed that USSR was building forces much faster than Germany was destroying them.

The only help Russia had was from US, some tanks and vehicles, and that's it, by 1943, soviets recovered production rates and were able to decicively defeat german forces completely alone.

Also, Western front open in 1943, when Soviets were defeating germans allready, USA and UK were kinda watching at who is gonna win, and then try to become allies with who ever that would be, but USSR prevailed in 1943, seized initiative and from that time on, ONLY by itself could defeat Nazi Germany.

Actually I think that USSR could have defeated Nazis by itself, but it would take WAY more casualties and time, once it moved factories eastward, german forces were done, plus they wouldn't be advancing as fast as they did further in Russia, I agree that there were times when it seemed that Russia would fal, but I think it wouldn't, Moscow has been allready taken before, Russia didn't fall though, war of course would be on for much longer. you think germans were that good equipped? West helped Russia not that much, although it tries now to increase it's role in defeating Nazis.

99% of equipment of german forces under Stalingrad was soviet, by that time allready German army was out of equipment, their production capabilities were not nearly as powerful as USSR.

I hope you agree that the most powerful land army in history was end of WW2 Red Army, because if it would meet German forces, german forces would be done in no time, have you heard of Operation Unthinkable? UK and USA didn't dare to go on USSR with total war, Churchill proposed but was told that it is not militarily feasible by Chiefs of Staff, they told him that concerning the relative strengths, we are not in position to take offensive.

Something about Tiger (tank), germans, before they had tigers, didn't even match soviet T-34s, the only thing they were relying on their sudden attack (they actually backstabed USSR) and on superior command officers.

If you read german generals notes, they say that it is a forsaken war in 1941, Hitler himself, told his commanders: "Had I known russia's tank stengths, I wouldn't have started this war". By 1943 Hitler's officers knew that they would lose.

And it ia commong misconseption that iot was only Germany, it was Romanians, Italians and so on, so Russia was not fighting Germany one on one, Russia was fighting a lot of countries, Germans were mostly officers.

Edited by Russian - 19-May-2006 at 15:47
Death View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:20
So Russian you say that USSR was stronger then the Germans?
Yeah you beat Germany,why?,....because the whole world joined against them.
No,no my friend.
You can claim what you want but USSR could never have deafeted Germany had they been fighting amongs themselves,alone.

Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:15

Originally posted by Death

Hey dont get offended my Russian brother, we are not that diferent when you think about it.I love power and force too,but i dont like communism the Rssian way.That is just not right for the people to live so horrible.Russia should be the richest land and people the richest in the World,but someone isnt alocating the wealth in the right way.Only when a man fights for something(usualy $cash$) can he give his life in battle."We fight for freedom"-no,no,thats not it."We fight for(exsample) mother Russia"-yeah we do,but only when that same mother can keep me from being hungry.A man always fights for himself. If Russians had a real good ideology with "cash and prizes" then it would be a good contender.(contender to itself because every man can be better and dont tell me that you are the best that you can be.Nobody is the best,everybody could be better if they tried a little harder)ps- i bet you liked that last post about us being orangutans,lol,hahah, but its true               :P

sorry for last post, this your post is reasonable actually, I see what you are saying, I agree.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:08

Japan was NO match for Soviet Union in WW2, ask anyone, you grunt, USSR would WIPE OUT Japan in NO time.
No, they definitely would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle. Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much better than Russia's. Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to island?If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and airforce? as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

Where the hell would Japan get it's resources? it is pretty small, it would be surrounded BIG TIME, it would have NO resources, but once it's ships would come up to land, they would have the crap bombed out of them.

Japan was not nearly as powerful as USSR, it had no resources to fight USSR, while USSR had resources to fight anybody, my friend, USA in total war was also not as powerful as USSR, the most powerful army of all time (if compared to armies of it's time) is definitely Red Army, not German Army.

I know it would be hard to land on Japan, but if they would, I hope you agree that we wouldn't be seing Japan as it is now, and it was no impossible to land on Japanese soil.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye bye Japan.

US played a big role by stopping Japan, but it was not nearly as big as the role of USSR of stoppping German army, it is not just my opinion, it is true, but it is just not politically correct to say that Russia or USSr did anything good, that's why you, my friend, have no clue of how powerful USSR was, hence your ignorance of the fact that it would defeat Japan.

Death View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 09:33
Hey dont get offended my Russian brother, we are not that diferent when you think about it.
I love power and force too,but i dont like communism the Rssian way.That is just not right for the people to live so horrible.Russia should be the richest land and people the richest in the World,but someone isnt alocating the wealth in the right way.Only when a man fights for something(usualy $cash$) can he give his life in battle.
"We fight for freedom"-no,no,thats not it."We fight for(exsample) mother Russia"-yeah we do,but only when that same mother can keep me from being hungry.
A man always fights for himself. If Russians had a real good ideology with  "cash and prizes" then it would be a good contender.(contender to itself because every man can be better and dont tell me that you are the best that you can be.Nobody is the best,everybody could be better if they tried a little harder)

ps- i bet you liked that last post about us being orangutans,lol,hahah, but its true                 :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>