Print Page | Close Window

Greatest modern army?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Modern Warfare
Forum Discription: Military history and miltary science from the ''Cold War'' era onward.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10069
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 19:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greatest modern army?
Posted By: Iranian41ife
Subject: Greatest modern army?
Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:07

I vote for the German army. Overall, it was definetly the best trained, best equiped, and best lead army.

Note: dont choose the US or Russia just because they were superpowers, think about their armies over all, with specific attention to the world wars.

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Replies:
Posted By: Illuminati
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 01:26
When taking into consideration the world wars, I'd have to pick Germany. 

-------------

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 02:34

Same here I too would like to go with Germany as the World was rolled by them before World Wars and even after they were defeated they didn't loss it all.

-------------

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:42
Ups i put my vote with the americans because i don't see the explanation about the WW. In that case, Germany and with few difference Russia.

Posted By: ataman
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 07:27
Why there are only these options to vote? I would like to vote Vietnamese or / and Israeli army.

Posted By: Travis Congleton
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 07:40
Comparing the German Army in World War II as a modern army?  That war was over 50 years ago.  Most of the participants are dead?  What's wrong with you people?

Modern?   HA!

The United States, without a doubt, is the best.  Through sheer economics, the United States can crush any nation's army.  Conquering a nation, well that is another matter.  That is determined more by the will of the free people of the United States.

Posted By: merced12
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 07:49
modern army ,of course american army

-------------
http://www.turks.org.uk/ - http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 08:45
Modern army, man for man, British army without a doubt, all motivated volunteers, best trained and best led.

-------------

Posted By: Maljkovic
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 09:23
Just what does modern mean here? Situation today? Overall achievements in the XX. century? Achievements since the founding of modern armies whose tradition has remained till today? You'll have to clarify that before I give you my answer...

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:14

Originally posted by Travis Congleton

The United States, without a doubt, is the best.  Through sheer economics, the United States can crush any nation's army. 

Thanks to the weapon of mass destruction also Russia can crush every state (including USA).

If we will consider only 'traditional' weapon, I doubt if USA can win with Chinese army (win - means conquer and control a country).

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:24
Well Russia after the cold war mysteriously started losing her nukes. Now that frightens me because before the nukes were in very tight security areas. Now they can belong to any russian mafia wacko, or any other wacko across the world. (Good job for keeping ur nukes away from the wrong hands guys)

Anyway without a doubt the Americans have the best army. And another thing...who the hell voted for the Italians having the best army?

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 11:32
Originally posted by prsn41ife

I vote for the German army. Overall, it was definetly the best trained, best equiped, and best lead army.

Note: dont choose the US or Russia just because they were superpowers, think about their armies over all, with specific attention to the world wars.

Germany certainly had a well trained army, but it's troop's quality and fighting spirit probably came more from the fitness and competitiive values imbued into them by the Hitler Youth, than what they learned in the army training camp.

Their C in C was Hitler, making them one of the worst lead armies ever.

Their equpment most certainly was good in some highly glamourous areas, they also had a good deal of mediocre and pretty poor equipment in less well publicised areas. Overall equipmentwise they were no better than average.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 11:51

Germany certainly had a well trained army, but it's troop's quality and fighting spirit probably came more from the fitness and competitiive values imbued into them by the Hitler Youth, than what they learned in the army training camp.

I don't think that the Hitelr Youth was so popular that all German soldiers were members of it. Also, what you say applies mostly to infantry. What about tank crews? They didn't have better equipment than their opponents but they were better in combat. What about officers? The German officers showed a superior tactical and strategical awareness than everyone else in the war(s).

I don't understand why someone would vote for the US. What have the US accomplished? Plus, Russians won due to quantity of means, not due to quality.

The British are so eager to fight that the British army accepts gays in order to have sufficient manpower! (Apart of this it's very probable that indeed the Brits are now the best trained)

Posted By: Travis Congleton
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 12:35
"If we will consider only 'traditional' weapon, I doubt if USA can win with Chinese army (win - means conquer and control a country)."
==================================

Even nuclear weapons aside, so you believe the Chinese will have an easier time invading the United States than the United States invading China?  Both are bleak situations, but the United States' logistically effort could make the invasion possible.  China would never make it across the Pacific Ocean.

Again The United States, at this time and probably since the mid-1980s, nuclear weapons aside, is the greatest modern army.

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:46
Originally posted by xristar

[/QUOTE

I don't understand why someone would vote for the US. What have the US accomplished?
The best land, air and sea armed force of the history is not a small achievement  If you ask me about the WW, that is other thing...

Plus, Russians won due to quantity of means, not due to quality.

The equipment and tactics of the Red Army after 1943, and specially in 1944 and 1945 was the best of the world. Between 1945 and 1985-90 was  the strong  land army of the Earth, and the importance of the RA in the 30's was huge, with greats contributions to the concept of Blitzkrieg.

bye

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:48

The best land, air and sea armed force of the history is not a small achievement  If you ask me about the WW, that is other thing...

If the British armed forces were as big, they would be better.  Or if you shrink down teh US armed forces to the size of the UK armed forces, the UK's will be better.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 17:16

i meant modern army as in from 1900-2006.

i meant modern age army.

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 00:31
Originally posted by Zagros

If the British armed forces were as big, they would be better.  Or if you shrink down teh US armed forces to the size of the UK armed forces, the UK's will be better.

individual training perhaps, but when it coomes to larger units, the UK isn't as good. The US has better large-scale units, primarily because the US has alot more large training centers. And the RAF is not all that amazing when compared with the USAF's technology. What major thing has the RAF invented lately? Most of the more revolutionary plane technology is coming out of the USAF. Plus, the US army has some pretty freaky things that jsut aren't in implementation for the whole army to use yet. "smart" bullets, and tactical uniforms that can allow soldiers to carry 50% more weight becuase the suit is designed to act like another system of muscles (allowing for faster running speeds, increased jumpin ability, etc..). Not to mention it's deisnged to perform medical duties on it's own if the soldier is down. it gives read-outs of vital signs, and will even inject the soldier with morphine on its own, and can call for a medic on its own. Also, can't forget to mention that the material the suit is made out of is designed to go rock-hard the instant it senses the impact of a bullet. It's supposed to be in wide-scale implementaition around 2025 I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 00:40

yea man, the US army is coming up with the craziest equipment ever thought of!

the US army in 50 years is going to kick some serious a$$, although it already does, it will kick more!

-------------

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 04:49
What is Austro-Hungarian if we are talking about the modern age?

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 06:16

I wasn't taking into consideration the air forces.

USA have indeed the best airforce. On land however, I don't know if they are that good, that they can surpass the Wehrmacht or the WW2 Red army. (They can not actually)

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:03

Originally posted by barish

What is Austro-Hungarian if we are talking about the modern age?

i made a mistake, forget austro hungary and italy.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:56

Now I can cast my vote. And it goes to the Americans. Here's why...

The quality of an army is a combination of these factors: training, equipment and leadership. If we are to sum up these factors for each of the armies specified, this would be the overall score:

Germans: looking at the 20th century, this is probably the best trained army of all. The reason for their failure in both WW is bad leadership and equipment.

British: Very good equipment, but a poorly led army. Training OK.

Russians: What to say? The best description of the Russian army is average. Average leadership, average training and average equipment. They managed to get themselves on almost every wining side in the last century, but that's a political thing really...

French: The French generals should thank god for the Italians, because if there were'nt any, the French army would the worst led army of all. Excellent equipment, mediocre training.

Austro-Hungarian: Like the French, these should also say: "thank god for Italy", this time in the area of training. The main focus of A-H army training was to make the soldier look good on parades. Their equipment and leadership abilities were no better.

Italian: No comment.

American: The quality of their training has had a continuos improvement throughout the century. Not the best equiped, but not far from it. The best led army most definately

Japanese: "Thank god for Italy", this time in the equipment category. Substandard all the way, only thing bailing them out is a good airforce. A good leadership and bad training.

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 13:12

Originally posted by Maljkovic

Germans: looking at the 20th century, this is probably the best trained army of all. The reason for their failure in both WW is bad leadership and equipment.

Germans had bad equipment? They had probably the best weapons among WWII members. Aeroplanes: Me 109, FW 190, Me 262, Ju 87 - they were the best aeroplanes of their categories. Only German bombers were inferior to British or American. 

Tanks: Tigers, Panters - were there better tanks in WWII? I think that no. The best submarines, artillery, etc. etc. Germans really had no problem with quality of their weapon. IMHO German problem was the ammount of its army. Enemies had much bigger armies and therefore Germany lost the war.

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 14:21
"Russians: What to say? The best description of the Russian army is average. Average leadership, average training and average equipment. They managed to get themselves on almost every wining side in the last century, but that's a political thing really..."

sacrifice...they didnt manage to get themselves on the winning team...they were the winning "team", both world wars, without Russia, France and England were gonners...

-------------

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 19:04

Russians: What to say? The best description of the Russian army is average. Average leadership, average training and average equipment. They managed to get themselves on almost every wining side in the last century, but that's a political thing really...

All the Allies managed to get themselves on the winning side, so you could say it was a political thing for any of them. But Russia was certainly the largest single contributor to Germany's defeat. The Western front wouldn't even be possible without Russia.

Also, Russian forces were definately not headed by "average" leadership. Zhukov was particularly brilliant, for instance. Nor were they necessarily technically inferior - the T-34 was an excellent design, and extremely well-suited to production realities, which inspired advanced German designs like the Panther. All modern armour still uses the principle of the sloped glacis which was a revolutionary part of the T-34's design.

The Tiger and Panther were statistically better, but their production cost was enormous, particularly in terms of critical resources which the Germans could not afford. Even the Americans, with their massive industrial capacity, realized that it was better to have a tank that offered more per dollar rather than per tank.

French: The French generals should thank god for the Italians, because if there were'nt any, the French army would the worst led army of all. Excellent equipment, mediocre training.

French military wasn't that bad, but its weakness in the face of the German attack is overrated. The same encounter that defeated France had Britain calling the retreat of the BEF a "miracle" because they managed to get their butts out of there in time. The German victory was not so much due to superior forces of any kind, but to a superior and revolutionary strategy - namely Guderians application of Liddell Hart's "deep battle" theories.

American: The quality of their training has had a continuos improvement throughout the century. Not the best equiped, but not far from it. The best led army most definately

Only somewhat true - the Americans had numerous leadership gaffes, such as the ones which led to the loss of the Phillipines and the defeats at Bataan and Corregidor.

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 06:33
All the Allies managed to get themselves on the winning side, so you could say it was a political thing for any of them. But Russia was certainly the largest single contributor to Germany's defeat. The Western front wouldn't even be possible without Russia.

Also, Russian forces were definately not headed by "average" leadership. Zhukov was particularly brilliant, for instance.

At the beginning, the soviet leadership was miserable (with the exception of Zhukov), but at the end of the war was the better of the world and not less brilliant than the best german leadership of the begininning-middle of the war. You must added to Zhukov: Rokossowsky, Vasilevsky, Koniev, Vatutin... and many more young generals, excellents officers.

French military wasn't that bad, but its weakness in the face of the German attack is overrated. The same encounter that defeated France had Britain calling the retreat of the BEF a "miracle" because they managed to get their butts out of there in time. The German victory was not so much due to superior forces of any kind, but to a superior and revolutionary strategy - namely Guderians application of Liddell Hart's "deep battle" theories.

Agree with the french army and the german superiority with the blitzkrieg, but Guderian didn't take all his theory from Liddel Hart, he took Liddell Hart, the experience of the armies in 1918 and the theories of Tujachewsky, all.

Only somewhat true - the Americans had numerous leadership gaffes, such as the ones which led to the loss of the Phillipines and the defeats at Bataan and Corregidor.

Agree, the only two (in land army) good generals of the americans was Patton and Simpson, and they couldn't do all they want. The american army of the WWII was not a brilliant machine in the fields of tactic and strategy.

bye

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 06:57

Lot of reactions I see. That's good. Now let me elaborate a bit. Under the category of equipment I don't only mean the quality of a single piece, but also the overall quantity of it. So 30.000 T-34's beat 6000 Tigers. Get it? It really baffles me when people compare the Tiger to T-34 and are amazed how could the Germans lose to the Russians. Like the JS series never existed, or like the mainstay of German armoured units wasn't the Panzer IV

German airforce had nothing on the Brits, much less the Americans. It didn't really help that the commander of the Luftwafe was apointed through party line.

Artillery? Flak 88 was great, but the British 17-pounders weren't much worse. Number game evened them out.

British submarines were far better then the German ones, unfortunatelly they weren't mass produced.

WWI? Allowing yourself to be pulled into a drag out war with an enemy that has three times more resources-not a good decision.

Besides the Big Bertha, German equipment in WWI didn't have any advantage in comparison with the Antanta.

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 07:17

People, this is not the question about WWII, but the 20th century! That's what I'm talking about.

So you have to consider WWI, WWII, Afganistan, Algeria, Vietnam etc. and debate on all of that, like I do.  

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:20

Edgewaters:

As the 1930s progressed, both the War Department and the Navy Department understood that the Phillipine Islands were indefensible.  Much had changed since 1898, most obviously Japan becoming the Great Power in Asia, and with all her military strength concentrated there.

As the second WW developed, 1939-41, it became obvious that the US would be involved soon, and that Germany was the more serious opponent.  That would always be the first priority.

In 1941, the US navy did not have the numerical strength (mostly left over from treaty restrictions) to cover her interests in both Atlantic and Pacific.  Large numbers of warships were under contruction but unavailable; armaments manufacture was just gearing up, and the army and navy were beginning to expand with as yet untrained and inexperienced personnel.

Military leadership understood that the Phillipines were expendable, including MacArthur and Jonathan Wainwright.  There were almost no modern armaments on Guam or the Phillipines, and the navy's Asiatic squadron was small and with old units.  Defense was delegated mostly to 10 or 11 older submarines.  The "Phillipine Army" was new and poorly equipped.

Bataan and Corregidor occupied substantial Japanese forces, and attention, that otherwise would have been turned on the communications between Australia and the US much sooner.  Yes, US forces were defeated there, but valuable time was gained, almost six months.  Within that time, naval forces had been transferred from the Atlantic, and much intensive training conducted with newer arms and equipment. 

The Phillipines constituted a well conducted delaying action (mostly by Wainwright) against overwhelming odds, but in the three months after Corregidor's fall, Coral Sea and Midway occurred, US forces were ashore on Guadalcanal, and Australian troops had been concentrated on New Guinea.

Sometimes you have to make what you can of a defeat.  That is part of military leadership too.

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 11:39
I am actually considering that maybe N. KOREA has the greatest modern army. But maybe only in numbers. If we are talking in the number strength then certainly N. Korea is the great one.

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 11:51

As far as the Russians go, I don't consider the tactic of sacrificing your troops en masse particulary brilliant. And this has been the main strategy of the Red Army. The fact that the soldiers didn't respond to this tactic by shooting their commanders (well, not too often) is a sign of good training. Zhukov had some exceptional results, but I see him only as a gambler with a lot of luck.

WWII is a shining moment for Russian military equipment in armored units, but infantry troops were underequipt and there was practically no airforce for most of the war. Best allies of the Russians in this war were General Winter and General Clay, who claimed as many German casulties as the Red Army

Afghanistan was lost despite the fact that Russian forces had superior equipment and numbers. Leadership-lousy.

WWI and the civil war 1918-1922 are more or less identical-won on the fact that Russian generals were willing to invest more corpses than their enemies, and even that wouldn't of been enough in WWI where victory was pracitally carried out by the French.

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 12:02

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I am actually considering that maybe N. KOREA has the greatest modern army. But maybe only in numbers. If we are talking in the number strength then certainly N. Korea is the great one.

Russian army buried more men then N.Korea ever had, so you can scratch that.

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 12:20

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Russian army buried more men then N.Korea ever had, so you can scratch that.

North Korea has a World War II army with 1950s doctrine, just as Iraq had.  In the limited geography of the Korean peninsula, contemporary air power would devastate it.

Posted By: Gharanai
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 12:27

Most of the people has selected America as the best Modern Army and most of them has claimed that US has the best in Air, Land and Naval.

I would like to say (my point of view) that just take away the air force of american army and send them to Afghanistan and after some time you will soon be able to see their name on the list along with the Mighty Britain (of then) and the Super-power Russia (of then).

What I mean by this comment is that all the american army has, is its advance AirForce (don't know much about their Naval forces), and that they are not able to fight well on land without the air support.

A good reference to this cliam could be the situation of american forces in Afghanistan where they even don't try to attack a small village (with only some innocent villagers and peasants in it) without the air support, first the air crafts (as modern as B-52) demolishes the area then the land forces enters (hah! that could be even done by a group of 15 years old boys with only light guns (unlike the heavy machine guns of US forces), where there is nothing to fight against as everything has already been demolished).

On the other hand some people commented that why Germans:

The easiest answer to this question could be wait until the american forces vanishes (as the Germans did in WW2) then see if they can get back as strong as the German Army is today.

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 13:18
Italian army?I heard it was the most 10th unnecessary organization in the world.

-------------

Posted By: Hannibal Barca
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by Travis Congleton

The United States, without a doubt, is the best.  Through sheer economics, the United States can crush any nation's army. 

Thanks to the weapon of mass destruction also Russia can crush every state (including USA).

If we will consider only 'traditional' weapon, I doubt if USA can win with Chinese army (win - means conquer and control a country).

One problem, China doesn't have contol of the Pacific. China is at quite a disadvantage, they wouldn't dare go to war with us. America has the greatest modern army and has proved itself through three wars of masterful military brilliance: Operation Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Enduring Freedom with special emphasis on Iraqi Freedom.

-------------
"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 16:43

As far as the Russians go, I don't consider the tactic of sacrificing your troops en masse particulary brilliant. And this has been the main strategy of the Red Army. The fact that the soldiers didn't respond to this tactic by shooting their commanders (well, not too often) is a sign of good training. Zhukov had some exceptional results, but I see him only as a gambler with a lot of luck.

WWII is a shining moment for Russian military equipment in armored units, but infantry troops were underequipt and there was practically no airforce for most of the war. Best allies of the Russians in this war were General Winter and General Clay, who claimed as many German casulties as the Red Army

You need update your knowledge about the Red Army , there is a deep evolution between 1941 and 1945.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 00:38
My vote would be the Soviet army. 

Post WWII, they were much more powerful than the United States army (many many more tanks and soldiers) and could easily have steamrolled Western Europe.  The US had to rely on its nuclear deterrant to prevent such a showdown. 

Posted By: Russian
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 01:00
Hi guys, I am new on the forums, joined because kinda interested in these discussions here.

I would say this:

Russia undoubtedly has most powerful land army and largest unclear arsenal in the world RIGHT NOW, american army stands nowhere near russian or chinese. guess what happens if US starts land operation in Iran, IT LOSES, not in liberating country, not in anti-terrorist stuff, it loses the full scale war, because it is not made to be in full scale war, while armies like Russian or Chinese are, US land army is made to resolve small military conflict or invade small country like Iraq, it is different philosophy of war.

America has most powerful NAVY and aviation, but NEVER land army, they also have second largest nuclear forces.

Americans won ECONOMIC war (Cold war), going in to war with Soviet Union was NOT possible, at least not feasible, if allies would go war on USSR, USSR would not even notice them, within months Stalin would be sitting on shores of Atlantic with all europe being communist, and looking for USA, looking for how he can make it USSA (United Socialist States of America) The problem was US nukes, they were not enough to destroy Red Army, but Red army also didn't want to take risk, in this sense, US literally saved Europe.

and Yes, it is funny to say Average about Russian SS-18, which is feared by americans, or Topol M, or Smerch MLRS, and of course S-400, compare these to their american counterparts and you will easily find out which land army is the most powerful, also I would suggest comparing these units by cost, speed of manufacturing and other production factors my friend, and then make any conclusions about "average" russian land army.

Also, I agree with edgewaters, saying that russian equipment is average is top of ignorance, please, tell me which rocket artillery is better than Smerch, which Anti aircraft defence is better than S-400 and which ICBM is more powerful than SS-18? After you give me answers for these, you can call russian equipment average, the problem is, you will not be able to, get a clue about equipment and then post, Maljkovic.

Also, few words for Gharanai, if Russia or America want it, they will kill all afghanistan people in a year, trust me on that one, the problem is that the reasons of war were different, not to slaughter all afghanis and leave, but to fight terrorism and other stupid causes.

If Russia or America wants, it will, without any air support completely anihilate Afghanistan from the map of the world.

Also, General winter is a common misconception, how did winter help Stalingrad or Moscow?

It stopped german tanks and vehicles, what does it mean? THAT THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH and not reliable enough, not that winter helps russians, russians, however, had reliable vehicles, General winter is a common MYTH invented by germans and French who didn't like that Russia defeated them, especially germans, invaded How many times did Russia take Berlin? One, NOPE, two times, one more during Katherine rule, apart of course from WW2.

Soviet Union was, as has been stated, the MAJOR force that defeated germans, it was not americans, not british, it was soviets, it was only after soviets started pushing germans back, allies opened second front, US now tries to undermine the role of soviets or russians in WW2 by saying "AHHHH, it was russian winter, our help and that's it, we won", that's not true, Hitler admitted in the beginning of the war that he made mistake by attacking Russia.

Posted By: Dampier
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 06:37

British: Very good equipment, but a poorly led army. Training OK.only

Disputed. British Army officers are very, very highly trained (I would probably rate Sandhurst above West Point). Training similarly is very good, not only that but more general experience and a wider depth of abilities.

The RAF i will admit is nothing compared to USAAF. Similarly for the Royal Navy thanks to budget cuts.

The Army however is very good aside from bad equipment. It is designed differently to the American army thats all.

However i vote for the American army as taking Modern to mean 1990+ they have a better army than any in the world overall.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 12:44

Well said Russian. Winter did help the Ruskis out, you cant deny that, yet at the same time Mr Winter didnt take Berlin.

Can you really say who had the best armies during WW2 Russia, America, Germany???? I dont think you can. I would include Japan but some of their equiptment was junk. They all made advances in certain fields.

Is it just me or do some Americans think that the Soviet troops were ill-trained and poorly equipped?????

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 12:52
Originally posted by machine

Is it just me or do some Americans think that the Soviet troops were ill-trained and poorly equipped?????

Yup, but i would argue many Russian troops were badly trained compared to other nations. Russia had some very good troops (for example the Siberians) and some very bad (the tribal conscripts). As for ill equipped Russians had some of the best equipment, the T-34 was superior to all Allied tanks of the same class (like the Sherman or Cromwell) as well as being better than many German tanks (Mk III, IV). American troops were not particually well trained either in many cases.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 14:20
Originally posted by xristar

I don't think that the Hitelr Youth was so popular that all German soldiers were members of it. Also, what you say applies mostly to infantry. What about tank crews? They didn't have better equipment than their opponents but they were better in combat. What about officers? The German officers showed a superior tactical and strategical awareness than everyone else in the war(s).

I don't understand why someone would vote for the US. What have the US accomplished? Plus, Russians won due to quantity of means, not due to quality.

The British are so eager to fight that the British army accepts gays in order to have sufficient manpower! (Apart of this it's very probable that indeed the Brits are now the best trained)

German Army was probably the second best in the last 100 years..the US Forces I have to picked first. Wars are won in Land, Air, and Sea with support of great training, good supply lines, equipment and etc...of which America has.

and I don't believe being gay has anything to do with the quality of being a good soldier or not. for thousands of years, gays had fought wars, won and loss wars, gained glory and honor so forth alongside normal people. <no im not gay>.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 14:32

Originally posted by kthor

and I don't believe being gay has anything to do with the quality of being a good soldier or not. for thousands of years, gays had fought wars, won and loss wars, gained glory and honor so forth alongside normal people. <no im not gay>.

To prove that there is evidence that Thebes Sacred Band, probaby the best Hoplite Regiment in Greece was all gay or had large numbers of homosexuals. Similarly homosexuality was common in much of the ancient world but that has not stopped them having good soldiers.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 01:01
They may have been gay, but not girly men gays.

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 01:08
Originally posted by Dampier

Yup, but i would argue many Russian troops were badly trained compared to other nations. Russia had some very good troops (for example the Siberians) and some very bad (the tribal conscripts). As for ill equipped Russians had some of the best equipment, the T-34 was superior to all Allied tanks of the same class (like the Sherman or Cromwell) as well as being better than many German tanks (Mk III, IV). American troops were not particually well trained either in many cases.

Germany produced many awesome tanks, sorry dont know all their names but the Ferdinand was a moving fortress, Too bad the electronics were rushed.

Did the Ruskis have anything like the Ferdinand. Im sure i read a German soldiers account about unknown tanks during the Battle of Kursk *They should make a movie on Kursk, biggest armoured battle to ever take place*.

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 05:14
Being gay of course does not reduce the fighting capabilities. I just pointed that the British army, which is volunteer's army, doesn't have enough volunteers, so they had to accept gays, something that almost no other armies do. Why? Not because gays are bad soldiers, probably because gays would cause problems in men formations. It's like having women together with men in a platoon. Still of course, I don't think gays are excluded from conscription, they are sent to rear units.

The Ferdinand was not a tank, it was a tank destroyer, and it was not that good, because it didn't have a machinegun (!). The German tanks were probably the best, but the soviets presented also good tanks. The IS3 (that didn't really see action in the war) was probably the heaviest of the war. Equivalent of the Ferdinant could be called an ISU-152, a monstrous assault gun, with 152mm calibre. It could destroy any other vehicle.

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 05:53

Umm..OK not girly men gays but then again wussy men dont make great soldiers either.

As for German tanks they were the best (Tiger, King Tiger, Panther, Jagdpanzer etc) but the m,ain tanks were the Mark III and IV's which were inferior to the T-34. The difference is that Russian tanks lack sophistication but are cheaper, far more reliable and use less fuel. Something likem a King Tiger is brilliant but electronics are failures and most such 'super tanks' were crippled with either no fuel or mechanical problems.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:44

Germany produced many awesome tanks, sorry dont know all their names but the Ferdinand was a moving fortress, Too bad the electronics were rushed.

Did the Ruskis have anything like the Ferdinand. Im sure i read a German soldiers account about unknown tanks during the Battle of Kursk *They should make a movie on Kursk, biggest armoured battle to ever take place*.

RUssians had a "little" equivalent to ferdinand, it had 152 mm gun, largest involved in WW2, guns of these calibres were mounted on friggin battleships.

this thing was very powerful self-propelled howitzer, it could knock out Tiger or King Tiger from a very far distance, in close combat if it hit Tiger, it could tear a turret clean off the tank.

link:
http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Article.asp?ArticleID=285

and it is not true that germans had best tank, best tank is the one that you can produce in biggest number that is reliable and powerful enough.

You mean most powerful tank, then, if you mean this, it is still not german tank, it is Soviet IS-2 tank, 122 mm gun, it was more than a match for a Tiger and definitely a match for King Tiger, but the trick is again: Soviets could produce MUCH more of them, and it was a heavy tank as well.

Why then germans were so good on battlefield you might ask: Well, because idiot Stalin executed a lot of good officers, germans most of the time had WAY better generals and officers and command staff in general.

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 16:36
Must agree with Russian here...about the best tank.

-------------

Posted By: Americanus
Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 09:01
The United States has the best modern military in the world. But the British have pretty good forces to and a good navy so theyre up thier to.

-------------
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"

Posted By: Sherzod
Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 13:31

Originally posted by Russian

Hi guys, I am new on the forums, joined because kinda interested in these discussions here.

I would say this:

Russia undoubtedly has most powerful land army and largest unclear arsenal in the world RIGHT NOW, american army stands nowhere near russian or chinese. guess what happens if US starts land operation in Iran, IT LOSES, not in liberating country, not in anti-terrorist stuff, it loses the full scale war, because it is not made to be in full scale war, while armies like Russian or Chinese are, US land army is made to resolve small military conflict or invade small country like Iraq, it is different philosophy of war.

America has most powerful NAVY and aviation, but NEVER land army, they also have second largest nuclear forces.

Americans won ECONOMIC war (Cold war), going in to war with Soviet Union was NOT possible, at least not feasible, if allies would go war on USSR, USSR would not even notice them, within months Stalin would be sitting on shores of Atlantic with all europe being communist, and looking for USA, looking for how he can make it USSA (United Socialist States of America) The problem was US nukes, they were not enough to destroy Red Army, but Red army also didn't want to take risk, in this sense, US literally saved Europe.

and Yes, it is funny to say Average about Russian SS-18, which is feared by americans, or Topol M, or Smerch MLRS, and of course S-400, compare these to their american counterparts and you will easily find out which land army is the most powerful, also I would suggest comparing these units by cost, speed of manufacturing and other production factors my friend, and then make any conclusions about "average" russian land army.

Also, I agree with edgewaters, saying that russian equipment is average is top of ignorance, please, tell me which rocket artillery is better than Smerch, which Anti aircraft defence is better than S-400 and which ICBM is more powerful than SS-18? After you give me answers for these, you can call russian equipment average, the problem is, you will not be able to, get a clue about equipment and then post, Maljkovic.

Also, few words for Gharanai, if Russia or America want it, they will kill all afghanistan people in a year, trust me on that one, the problem is that the reasons of war were different, not to slaughter all afghanis and leave, but to fight terrorism and other stupid causes.

If Russia or America wants, it will, without any air support completely anihilate Afghanistan from the map of the world.

Also, General winter is a common misconception, how did winter help Stalingrad or Moscow?

It stopped german tanks and vehicles, what does it mean? THAT THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH and not reliable enough, not that winter helps russians, russians, however, had reliable vehicles, General winter is a common MYTH invented by germans and French who didn't like that Russia defeated them, especially germans, invaded How many times did Russia take Berlin? One, NOPE, two times, one more during Katherine rule, apart of course from WW2.

Soviet Union was, as has been stated, the MAJOR force that defeated germans, it was not americans, not british, it was soviets, it was only after soviets started pushing germans back, allies opened second front, US now tries to undermine the role of soviets or russians in WW2 by saying "AHHHH, it was russian winter, our help and that's it, we won", that's not true, Hitler admitted in the beginning of the war that he made mistake by attacking Russia.

100% AGREE!!! BUT, HOW YOU FORGOT TO METION THE GREATEST EVER WEAPON CREATED BY MANKIND?   THE AK-47 KALASHNIKOV!!!

-------------
"Power is in fairness...!" - Amir Temur (1336-1405)

Posted By: Major D.
Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 14:10
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

-------------
Damon D. Branstuder Major. LSP/Angola Ret.

Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:33
Originally posted by Americanus

The United States has the best modern military in the world. But the British have pretty good forces to and a good navy so theyre up thier to.

Any proof of that?

Bett training, maybe, better human rigths in the army, yes, but better land army eqipment? better rockets? NO.

Tell me, which american ICBM is better than SS-18, that you, americans, designated SATAN? or which one is better than Bulava SS-30, naval ICBM, or Topol M, which is the only quazi-ballistic missile in deployment of any country?

Next:
which rocket artillery of US is better than SMERCH MLRS? what your M270? with laughable range of 45 km? or 65 if extended, against Smerch 70 km and 90 extended, note that range is only one advantage of Smerch.

Or tell me which fighter of USAF is more maneuverable that Su-30 MK or MIG-29 OVT, and please don't give me famous and ignorant claim by americans that their F-14 is so much better than Mig-29 that in Yugoslavia you almost didn't lose any aircrafts. We all know that in most instances one mig had to fight 14 F-14s at one time, what a good aircraft

I am talking one on one here, look at some videos of SU-30 MK and then give me a link of any emrcian fighter which can do this, give me a video of Raptor which can go for these maneuverse, I tell you what, Eurofighter tried to do SU-30 MK manuevers, and it fell apart IN THE SKIES, same is going to happen to most US fighters.

You have best tank? Never, in tank to tank battle Abrams will not be that good, without ability to launch ATGMs and therefore to seriously engage other tanks at extended ranges it will be destroyed at ranges of 4-5 km by T-90 or at ranges of 8 km by Merkava 4 with it's LAHAT. Jew, after all, are smart.

Air defence: Patriot? what about S-400 with range of 400 km compared to Patriot's 160 km and ability to engage cruise missiles and scuds.

as we can see, US doesn't have that best of a military right now, it says it has, but it doesn't, it covers all it's losses to make itself look powerful and undefeatable, but it is not true, and hey, attacking a state that falls apart allready is not that of an achievement, especially considering that US will be driven away from Iraq in 5 years according to some people estimates.

US has the most powerful Navy though, no argument about that, but in the end, when you want to go in full scale war, it is ALL about LAND ARMY.

US has the most USEFUL army nowadays, now that might be true, small, mobile, to resolve military conflict, however, it is not suited for a full scale war.

You see, US made a good choice, it choose to prevent enemy from landing on it's soil, hence it understood it has to have most powerful fleet, and it does, which is good, if Hitler would land on US soil, he would undoubtly conquer US, but the problem is that US would never let him land there.

You might say that US is kinda lucky to be there on it's own continent, on the new land, away from the huge land wars of Europe and Asia, and I guess it is true, otherwise, it woud be conquered many times over already.

want to prove me wrong Americanus, name me some American nuke, or tank, or artillery system, or aircraft, or air-to air rocket, close range or long range that is better than russian, then we will talk about american army, but for now, it most of the time takes by number, as it did in WW2.

Thank you Sherzod, it is good to know that there are some people who do not just listen to american propaganda and support america as the unbeatable nation.

Yeah, AK-47 is awesome gun, Mikhail Kalashnikov made this gun with only high school education, and hey, if you take one of the guns made all the way back in 1947, it will still shoot, the guy made everything you need in one reliable package. Russian soldiers say it is eternal.

A little story: I assembeled and disassembeled it when I was on the trip to border base of russian military, border with China, when I was doing it, I tried to be careful, not to break it, and soldier came to me and said: "What are you affraid of?" he took kalashnokov, threw it on the concrete ground with some force, picked it up, took all the parts from the ground (when it was thrown, it was half-assemblled) and assembled it by himself in a minute and it worked, then he let me asemble it, and it turned out to be very easy, it has only 5-6 parts, that's it, it can be done in no time. Also, if you put it completely in the mud, and pick it up an hour ago, it will shoot, if you put it in to sand for 2 hours, you pic it up, it will shoot. As it was said in the movie "The Lord of War" "it will never jam or overheat, it will shoot whether it is covered in mud or filled with sand.

sorry for big message

Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 21:47

I even have heard that Russians have weapons which can change the tilt of the earth by several degrees, thus making the US shrink under water. Though it might seem unrealistic, but as I have been a part of the USSR with many elder people telling me stories from the secret bases, I think that it could very much be true!!!

RUSSIAN - just telling the truth to the blind peple!

-------------

Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 22:04
Originally posted by Major D.

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

Oh really, why not vote for Russian army then?

Germans tried to invade Russia in medieval ages, with it's Teutonic knightes, what happened? Got their ass kicked. During the rule of Katherine Russia was sole europe superpower, almost single country that dictated conditions to europe, Sweden tried to invade, suffered mounting human and territory losses.

Who defeated Bonaparte, was it Germany?
Who defeated Teutonic knights?
Russians took Berlin also in 1760.
In general, what country is known as a country that shouldn't be invaded?

However, there are countries like China, Egypt and whole bunch of middle east countries with HUGE history, they can be said to have good armies in history, ther ehas been rise and fall of every army I would say, depends on year.

I didn't vote for Russia because it was superpower, but because of attention to world wars, actually it is right to say this planet wars, because world is much bigger than this planet

plus if you pay attention to world wars now, and the question is: Greatest Modern Army, well, germany is not involved in any military conflict as far as I know. Russia at least has Chechnya, America has Iraq.

I don't know what is meant by "THE BEST" army, if it is meant the most powerful, then it is American-air forces, Navy; Russian-land Army.

Germany has neither air forces, nor land army, nor navy stronger than either russian or american, nor is itmore mobile than american or russian.

I was born in USSR too Sherzod, it was the most powerful country and the largest that ever existed on the planet, but the idea was wrong, communism like Soviet leaders tried to build it was not working, plus about arms race and all that stuff, and about competiton, I want to say that it is extremely hard to compete with country on scientific level if the country is pouring almost all of it's recources in to military and military sciences.

I am pretty sure USSR was developing something like what you are saying Sherzod, but if they did, it would be top secret and I doubt we will know.

the problem is I think that some people don't want to learn.

I live in Canada, and some people here think that Canada is bigger than Russia, and I am asking "Do you mean area?" and they are saying YES, by area, Canada is biggest, and then I am saying "Are you guys crazy?" They are saying that Russia fell apart somewhere in early 90's, and now it is smaller than Canada. After long discussion it turned out that Russia falling apart is dissolution of Soviet Union, and then I explained that what fell apart was largest country ever on the earth, and even though Russia was largest of it's republics, it was still only a part of this country, and even after it's dissolution, Russia is still almost twice as big as Canada is by area, people in North America ( I am talking about great majority, not some people who actually learn) tend not to give a sh*t about any other country, they consider their country to be the best and most powerful in all aspects, well, this is what goverment tells them, and they don't want to do research by themselves.

Date Posted: 12-May-2006 at 22:50

You are right, I have been to the US once, I really find most(not all) of them narrow minded, they really dont know the whole pictore(not only in this case, but in EVERY case), yet speak to 100% sureness and certainty. Which is upmost stupidity!

I really have not met Russians saying that they are the dominant country or they will crush somebody, yet they have as many right to say so, as the US people, but they think a bit before speaking, and I gues they are more educated rather than those cowboys in texas!

-------------

Posted By: Omnipotence
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 00:21
I've heard of calculations where the power of US is equivalent to the next 13 of the most powerful countries combined. Other calculations show that the US only has 15% of the world power while Russia/China is 2 and 4 % away in that order(but this calculation probably included the existence of nuclear missiles, which pretty much evens out the playing field almost completely because any country with enough missles can destroy any other country).

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 05:35
Originally posted by Sherzod

You are right, I have been to the US once, I really find most(not all) of them narrow minded, they really dont know the whole pictore(not only in this case, but in EVERY case), yet speak to 100% sureness and certainty. Which is upmost stupidity!

I really have not met Russians saying that they are the dominant country or they will crush somebody, yet they have as many right to say so, as the US people, but they think a bit before speaking, and I gues they are more educated rather than those cowboys in texas!

Talk to John Steakley about the narrow minddness of Americans.

I have to say i hae met quite a  few Americans and some are narrow minded and others are great guys.

Personally I wouldnt put Russia as the best army because frankly their equipment is outdated or non existent, draft dodging is rife, discipline in some units is godawful,  air/naval support lacking, old tanks/MBT's, lack of training. Remember armies include air force/navy too (US Air Cavalry or German Stukas etc being tactical assets more for ground forces than air).  Mobility is lacking. All Russia has are numbers but in todays war that isnt enough. Spetnatz are brutal though.

Chechneya is not a good example as Russia is only holding her own not winning as opposed to America which won the war in Iraq and is now dealing with the insurgency. If Russia truly was the best army she should be winning, no?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 12:00
What is the rationale for Russia's keeping such a large army?  Given Russia's economic situation, is there any pressure to cut back?

Surely war with the United States or China is no longer an issue, and such a large army is not necessary for intervention in regional conflicts....

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 12:44

Originally posted by Sherzod

Talk to John Steakley about the narrow minddness of Americans.

I have to say i hae met quite a  few Americans and some are narrow minded and others are great guys.

Personally I wouldnt put Russia as the best army because frankly their equipment is outdated or non existent, draft dodging is rife, discipline in some units is godawful,  air/naval support lacking, old tanks/MBT's, lack of training. Remember armies include air force/navy too (US Air Cavalry or German Stukas etc being tactical assets more for ground forces than air).  Mobility is lacking. All Russia has are numbers but in todays war that isnt enough. Spetnatz are brutal though.

Chechneya is not a good example as Russia is only holding her own not winning as opposed to America which won the war in Iraq and is now dealing with the insurgency. If Russia truly was the best army she should be winning, no?

Ok, RUssia has no numbers, it has quality, I allready listed some of the "number" weaponry, just tell me what US weaponry is better than this.

Now Chechnya. I know quite a lot about Chychnya that you guys might not know, can go for endless discussion concerning politics, but in military discussion I would say one thing, it is not the type of war russian army is used to, it is not a total war with another army in open space, with both armies going against each other, it is just a small conflict, relatively small, but again, russian army, I hope you agree, if it wants to, it will wipe out all CHechnya in a month and leave no people alive, this is what it is created for, for total war, you see, the philosophy is still of Red Army, it didn't change.

You are terribly wrong about Chechnya though, russian army drove guerillas in to the forest, in to this valley again, now they will be pounded by the best artillery and flamethrowers in the world, I do not envy them at all.

You are also wrong about Iraq, US will be out in 5-6 years, I promise you, too much losses, too expensive. Consider this: US must, according to International law, sustain whole country by their money, and US goverment owns their people like trillions of dollars, US goverment is in terrible state now.

Look, for how long was russians fighting chechen rebells? for a VERY long time, for how long have been america in Iraq? for what 3 years and that's it. And russian army conquered cities like Grozny as easy as Americans conquered Iraq, and as fast; now the problem is guerillas, US didn't do anything about them either, just look how these guys are gonna drive americans from Iraq, because they are going toruin their country, but not let US stay.

Russian land army is currently the most powerful, here are numbers for first 5 countries and their land army power:

LANDPOWER Top 5 (total number of MBT, Tanks, Armour carriers ect.)

#1 RUSSIA------------------21,820
#2 UNITED STATES--------8,000
#3 CHINA-------------------7,060
#4 EGYPT-------------------5,155
#5 N.KOREA----------------3,500

and most russian MBT's are not old and obsolete, most are T-80, which are pretty comparable to Abrams, russian artillery is UNDOUBTLY better, no argument here, russian anti-aircraft defenc, I can say only: S-300PMU-2 or S-400, needless to say anything else.

Yes, draftees lack training, some avoid being drafted, I had some friends like that, they are just hiding, because they know that in te army it sucks, however, in 2 years the mandatory service will be one year, which will automatically eleminate bullying and many other problems.

About training, russian equipment is very easy to use, it is not as sophisticated as american or european, that's how soviets won the war, it is easy to produce etc. So, to train personell is easy for that, and for some things you don't need to train at all, example? AK-47, AK-74, you will figure it out in seconds, how this gun works.

For tank and other sophisticated equipment you have to train soldiers, but you don't need a lot of soldiers for that, compared to usual infantry, this is only small numbers, and they are trained well how to use something that they are assigned to.

I can say about american army that it is too small, US had to get National Guard to Iraq, although they are not supposed to, they don't have enough army there.

I think by best was mean the most powerful, and here, we can not make a clear statement of whose army is the most powerful, we can only argue about which type of army is the msot important to be the most powerful, is it Air power, or Navy, or Land army, is we are talking nuclear arsenal, russian is more powerful.

I say it is Land army, because land army will always have more range at air targets than air targets will have against land targets, plus there is always limited number of air units, while number of land units is much bigger, Navy doesn't take part in the war on land at all, only a little bit on the shore, so, I say when you go for total war (the only way to display whose army is the most powerful), the most important thing is land army, Red Army demonstrated it.

Why Russia needs such a big army? And my answer would be that we shouldn't have a narrow look only at our historical era, by that I mean that there have been many wars around, for example, Russia defeated Sweden during times of Peter the Great, then, it seemed, it had most powerful land army in europe, new world wasn't even challenging old world then, so, it seemed that you could ask similar question: Why Russia needs such a big army? But the answer is: you always need a powerful army, because if you have something that other country needs, and your army is weak, they will take it. There will always be big wars around, what is our lifetime? 70 yearsl maybe 80, in all our lifetime we can live with no big war around and ask this question: "Hey, why do you need a bgig army?" But after we die, some huge war will break out, and here is the answer.

But this is a little justification on why Russia or other country would need a big army, the real answer why it HAS this big army is probably the aftermath of Cold War, or even WW2, aftermath of Soviet philosophy of war, aftermath of Red Army.

AHh, russian economic situation, I wanted to talk to you guys about that.

As a representative from Russia, I can tell you, it is getting WAY better, Russia is definitely on the rise now, and that is why US is pouring loads of sh*t on russian goverment, saying no democracy and so on, Putin, who russians love as a president and would want him to stay for 3 terms, is just saying to americans, to look at themselves, same sh*t as in other countries, just telling everybody that it is better in their country, but apart from everything, it is just same sh*t, simply more money in the country, when Russia was in ruins with Eltsin, this political prostitute, US was greeting Russia for move towards democracy, while when Russia is rising, US makes these scandals of intellegence in Iraq and so on, why? because they see Russia is getting up again. Putin said: "If they are saying bad things about us, it is good, let them say it, it means we are on the right way, if they are saying good things, it is bad, means ew are on the wrong way." And I think he is right.

Russia now definitely can sustain such a big army, plus people tend today to overestimate economy concerning military, you see, economy is very important in peace days, however, economy's part is almost comlpletely undermined in a state of war, State just takes everything and tells you to wait while the war is over, in war, economy doesn't matter, all that matters is just how many people you have, how good is your equipment, how good is your science to make new equipment, how good is your production capabilities and how many recources you have, that's it.

Posted By: Americanus
Date Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:01
For your Information Russian, the Americans have one of the best tanks in the World known as the Abrahms M-12. Which is better than any one of the Russians 20,000 crappy tanks from the 1970's.

-------------
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"

Posted By: Roadkill
Date Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:39
"American: The quality of their training has had a continuos improvement throughout the century. Not the best equiped, but not far from it. The best led army most definately"

-Well that's an overstatement.... American soldiers are poorly trained, relying on high-tech gadgets and putting all their faith in them. The lower level officers are uneducated(Militarily speaking) and all of them have attitude issues.

-I've trained alongside Dutch, American, French and French Foreign Legion soldiers and the best out of those were Dutch as regular forces and the Foreign Legion on top.

-France can sport a very well-lead army with it's experienced Foreign Legion command. Most officers in the Foreign Legion are French and they are often transferred to other parts of the army to spread experience. They are well equipped and are well trained.

-The Dutch... I can't say too much about the Dutch. The ones I was training alongside with were Engineers and so I couldn't really score their army in it's entirity. However, the Dutch Engineers were damn good at their job(Though, not as good as the Norwegian Engineers---).

-America has a mobile, light-weight army and that is a good thing. However, soldiers are poorly trained(Not the case when it comes to their Navy) and they have serious attitude issues. Lower level officers are basically shouting boxes with little in the way of initiative. I could also tell you some stories that my CO told me about his time with the Americans. The American Army doesn't hold up to many other armies. They are improving but the training methods used by the US are just stupid. They should learn from Europe which has been doing this war thingy since the neanderthals were still alive.

-And my personal favourite, which isn't on the list(Evil eye, evil eye), Norway. A generally well equipped army(Though it has it's ups and downs), the army is mostly made up of conscripted troops but the amount of people who get in every year is limited and so you get that Germany pre-WWII effect where you have the cream of the crop. The COs have alot of experience from Bosnia mainly but also Afghanistan. Norwegian Special Forces are among the best in the world, rivaled by SAS and Spetznas(They're just mad).

-I would have chosen Norway if it was on the list but seeing as it's not I chose France due to my experiences with them.

-------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 10:06
Russian, total acknoweldgement, Russian equipment is very good...however the basic infantryman has nothing really beyond his AK and fatigues (from what i know). Even Spetnatz is infamous that for all its trainign and experience it lacks basic SF equipment like Night vision goggles. theres a difference between priduction and actually arming your army with them (rather than just selling them). However many other countries have equipment just as good. Similarly much of the army is conscripted and conscripted troops dont usually make good troops.
Russian economic status, well getting better you say. I hope so. However the average European/American citizen lives far better off.
@Roadkill...Norway (or Holland) are a little too small in size to really be on the list (although strangely the Austrians and Italians are on there...with two Italian votes tooShocked).

-------------

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 11:01

Lol, Now justify it my american friend? I think you menat Abrams M1A2?

What is better in american tank? maneuverability? NO, firepower? NO armor? NO, what is better?

have you heard about Kontakt-5 ERA?

here, read a little about it: "http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/EQP/era.html"

you just stated opinion, now justify it, we have heard a lot of americans claim their things are the best, but no justification whatsoever,

Russian army begins equiping it's troops with their newest equipment right now, 407 new armaments, I mean kinds of armaments. thqat's Putin's goal now, and trust me it will be done, state pretty much controls these berueaus that sell weaponry, some bureaus agreed to equip some regiments in advance, to kinda lend money to State.

If America is so powerful, why it has to cooperate with Russia on missile shield defence? it's main project for years now, and it has to ask how to make it work america's enemy from the past, lol. US couldn't get missile shield to work, and spent allready 50 billion $, guess how much Russia spent on Topol M? What american tries to make for 3 years, Russia made countermeasure in 1 or 2, I am talking Topol M here, SS-27.

American army is good, but there is too much electronics ad so on in it, I agree with Roadkill on that one.

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 12:35
As said before, the Russian industry produces very good and competitive equipment, but the Russian army can afford them, at least it couldn't until now.

Conscripts are not bad, just look at Israel. Israel is forced to use an importnat portion of its civilian population in military, especially in wars, and yet they performed greatly.

Roadkill, what is your oppinion on the Greek army (if you have any oppinion?

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 12:51
Hmm..Putin rearming...that should do the job! Looks like Russian military will  bemoving up in the world.  One to watch.
Conscripts are generally bad. Israel used patriotic, often willing, paranoid (with reason), well equipped, well trained conscripts. They often wanted to fight. Look now and the numbers doing actual combat conscription are very low in Israel and many are older troops. By conscript I mean the usually badly trained, badly equipped troops common in Soviet era armies.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 13:39
Professionals and volunteers are certainly better than conscripts that were obliged to join the army, but a conscript army can still have a good training level, and the conscripts, especially in wars, have many motives to fight (patriotic reasons).

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 13:44
True, sorry when I was using conscript in the Russian sense, namely unwilling, badly trained, badly equipped, badly led, corrupt etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:13

True, sorry when I was using conscript in the Russian sense, namely unwilling, badly trained, badly equipped, badly led, corrupt etc.

Well, as a russian ,I can tell you guys, conscripts are NOT good in Russia, many are criminals, some drink, so,e smoke, and some even tried drugs.

I was not running from russian military to Canada, I could go to russian university and I probably will for exchange program, but my brother served as an officer and he said that russian military would like to have a person like me, I am a good powerlifter, wanna go professional, a guy with whom I work out is Canadian national champion in SHW for Bench pressing , he holds a record, Clint Harwood, he weighs 370 pounds, benches 760 pounds, with bench shirt, I am not a bencher, but three lifter, but still have some good results, I was doing all kinds of sports, very fit, not stupid (at least I think so lol), definitely not underweight (at 180 cm height or 5'11'' I weigh 85-86 kg, about 190 pounds, and planning to get to 200 in summer), not smoking, not drinking, never did drugs, while most russian conscripts are actually underweight, some have been in jail, some didn't finish school.

You might ask me why didn't I go to russian army then: I would answer: Is there a war against Russia? No, will I be defending Russia, NO, so, I don't want to waste 2 years of my life for nothing, I know it is called service, but it really isn't, it is fouling around, and they NEVER pay you there, most educated young people in Russia think this way.

Russian goverment makes service 1 year, after it does, I will go serve for 1 year.

Dampier, you are wrong about badly led, russian batallion and division commanders are some of the best in the world, russian generals however, are bad, huge, stupid idiots who don't care about soldier's lives. My dad who was born 1946 told me that the combination of words SOVIET GENERAL meant huge, 150 kg, with HUGE stomache, idiot who could only yell at people.

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:35
I remember an amusing (dont know if its true) story of a Russia  officer going hunting with a few men using bazookas....Stern Smile

How good is the Russian officer service, the view I had was badly trained, untactical lads possibly as underweight and stupid as some of their men. As for generals, well Zhukov was a good general but Russian (Soviet) generals were never known for compassion..Can you tell me more?

-------------

Posted By: Death
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:50
Modern as in contemporary-Jewish 100 %,no1 else.
Moder as in the age of moderne and not post-moderne i would have to say German,altho the British army isnt less of a force,but in my opinion seckond.
So yeah, Jewish,Jewish, there is something about those Yamakas that they wear,...lol,...Lahaem!

Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 17:55
Ladies and Gentlemen we have a contender for most random post!

Any reasons Death mate (that just sounds wrong and kind of Pratchett-esqe...)

-------------

Posted By: raygun
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 20:59
For me its the American and Israeli armies, both of them have seen considerable action in modern times.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 00:10

I remember an amusing (dont know if its true) story of a Russia  officer going hunting with a few men using bazookas....[IMG]height=17 alt="Stern Smile" src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley22.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

How good is the Russian officer service, the view I had was badly trained, untactical lads possibly as underweight and stupid as some of their men. As for generals, well Zhukov was a good general but Russian (Soviet) generals were never known for compassion..Can you tell me more?

well, where were these officers seen? And I think I am talking about officers higher than ones you mentioned, but still lower than general.

My dad saw these generals, he is in reserve now, he told me, it is a HUGE male, who knows only how to yell at people, not values human life and that's it, cares only about his country house.

Some russian generals are no better now, in 1999 or so, when there was first Chechen war, general staff decided to send troops on tanks in to Grozny, division commanders thought generals were NUTS, because they predicted what is going to happen, they told them that troops are gonna die there, well, this is what happened.

Now in second war, Russian artillery was actually doing what it is made for, it destroyed Grozny, completely, to the ruins, then troops entered, and guess what, there were no Chechen rebells there anymore, or they were dead.

Here, look at this Dampier, russian new thingy, TOS-1 Buratino (Pinoccio), according to russian reports it is a flamethrower, lol, but it is really a close range artillery, very precise and powerful:

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=TOS-1%20Buratino&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

I like it a lot, I will translate a detailed report of how russian troops use it in Chechnya in forests if you are interested.

But first let me explain how Chechens got in to forest.

After they were driven away from cities in a way described, by shelling the city to the ground, they started hiding in villages and little setlements, here is what happens:

russian tank or artilllery column is coming, they see someone is firing from the village, they say, ok, either you go away from there, or we make it flat, with all people inside, commanders said that they are not gonna waste soldiers. Now rebels have two choices: they either go away and the village is living, or they stay and try to fight, which is pointless, and there is no life around or inside the village anymore. However, it is all about clans and elders in Chechnya, every settlement has elders, they are heads of clans, so, rebels talk to them, and elders tell them that they should leave, because otherwise artillery is gonna kill everybody, and if it does, then elders from other villages and whole other clan will take revenge on the clan, from which rebels are, and then rebels are in the deep as****e. At first rebels thought that russians are BSing, and they stayed, so, what happened was: russian soldiers announced that everybody who is opposing russians can stay, but everybody else have to leave the village, everybody else left, so, there it is, a village, some 2-5 km away, russian troops have Smerch (best MLRS in the world) and this Buratino thing, there are no civilians in the village, only enemy, guess what, lol, in 38 seconds there is no village, no enemy, no rebels, moreover, now a clan whose village it was is in a war with these rebels also, along with russian army, so, this is how they were doing it, now rebels are in mountains and forests, because they obviously started leaving every village they tried to base in.

But the problem is that noone in Chechnya wants to separate, everybody want to be part of Russia, most of the rebels may not even be from Chechnya, they might be from Afghanistan or some other unstable country.

Zhukov lived long time ago, I would say that good, really outstanding russian general of modern ones was Lebed'.

I think the bazooka story was false dude, honestly.

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 06:07
The bazooka story might well be false, just a story I heard (though I have seen footage of a Russian officer[Lieutenant I think] and two men using sniper rifles to shoot endangered tigers for a laugh).

I'm interested in the Buratino.

Isnt there trouble in Chechen villages if the insurgewnts refuse to leave and then hold civilians at gun point?

So in general what are Russian officers like at Division, Battalion and Platoon levels?

-------------

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:51

The bazooka story might well be false, just a story I heard (though I have seen footage of a Russian officer[Lieutenant I think] and two men using sniper rifles to shoot endangered tigers for a laugh).

I'm interested in the Buratino.

Isnt there trouble in Chechen villages if the insurgewnts refuse to leave and then hold civilians at gun point?

So in general what are Russian officers like at Division, Battalion and Platoon levels?

well, if they hold citizens, then it is bad for them, ecause they call themselves freedom fighters and now they are depriving citizens of freedom, right, so, now a lot of clans are gonna go against them, and they are gonna be aliens in their own countries, they actually are allready, if they are holding citizens, they are making more trouble for themselves in future.

Ok, here is how a fight is usually going on in mountains:

here is the site, it is in russian:

http://www.warlib.ru/index.php?id=000117

translation (not all though :))

Here they are terrorists, in tight ring of russian troops, a big band with armoured vehicles and modern armaments. They try to battle through with small groups, so, it seems as a chaotic attempts, but it is not true, chechens are trying to find out weak spots of defence. Southern defence line (of russian troops) is losing initiative, artillery strikes, terrorists leave this area, go back, then aviation strikes, finds out the position or armoured vehicles of terorists, terrorists retreat to vehicles under pressure of aviation attack, aviation gives coordinates to artillery, then Buratino strikes, then brigade commander loses any interest in the firefight, and says: "That's it, there is nothing alive anymore, Buratino worked".

Buratino weighs 46 tons, shoots salvo of 30!!!! rockets each 220 mm in 7,5 seconds on the range of about 400-3500 meters. And the most important thing is that it is thermobaric weapon, uses both pressure and tempereture. It shoots a rocket, a rocket explodes, shooting around a mixture of gas and fuel, then it is all lightened, so, first it is terrible tempereture, then crushing overpressure. In famous Komsomol'skaya village russians have been accused of using chemical weapons, but we didn't, all russian troops used was Burationo. Then why did terrorists started yelling "AHHH, war crimes war crimes!!" Because their troops, even if they were not in the room or not inside the area of Buratino's fire, but only close to it, they still had their lungs exploded and internal organs torn apart from overpressure.

Imagine being in a room where air explodes, all room basically explodes from inside.

here is the pic:

http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/clmf/faeseq.html

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 15:22
I think we are underestemating the Japanees.My opinion is that  in Japan,the Japanees army is the strongest and if it wasnt for the A bomb i think that no1 could conqer them,......................................................................except Zi Germans,...lol
Austro-hungarian army isnt even close to a strog army,so its cool for that 0% but Japanees are som else,..........im Hungarian and a little bit Austro,...lol.
Lett me once more say that Israel rules!!!!!!!!!
Lahayem

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 05:10

Originally posted by Death

I think we are underestemating the Japanees.My opinion is that  in Japan,the Japanees army is the strongest and if it wasnt for the A bomb i think that no1 could conqer them,......................................................................except Zi Germans,...lolAustro-hungarian army isnt even close to a strog army,so its cool for that 0% but Japanees are som else,..........im Hungarian and a little bit Austro,...lol.Lett me once more say that Israel rules!!!!!!!!!Lahayem

LOL, you have NO clue whatsoever, buddy, Soviet Army would wipe out ALL Japan and kill all Japanese army in a week, LOL, that's first time I hear about someone so uneducated, Soviet army in the end of the WW2 was the most powerful army in history, buddy, read books.

I am pretty sure they were not shooting tiger, I lived where these endangered species of tiger are, biggest cats in the world, Siberian tiger, they are only in forests around Vladivostok, that's where I was born.

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 07:38

I think we are underestemating the Japanees.My opinion is that  in Japan,the Japanees army is the strongest and if it wasnt for the A bomb i think that no1 could conqer them,......................................................................except Zi Germans,...lolAustro-hungarian army isnt even close to a strog army,so its cool for that 0% but Japanees are som else,..........im Hungarian and a little bit Austro,...lol.Lett me once more say that Israel rules!!!!!!!!!Lahayem

Israel doesnt rule sh*t, lolLOL Americas got their back.
Soviet troops did start attacking the Japanese troops, Russia took many prisoners, im unsure of the numbers.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 15:10
Russian and Mashine, ok guys,......your right.
Your Russian soldier is so respected in the World?!?
The discipline of a Japanees soldier would have amazed you.You think that Russian soldiers could have done what Japan did with Pearl Harbour?
You should read some of that,the atack on Pearl Harbour, and you will see.
Oh the mighty Russia,damn, you guys got kicked around by a bunch of people in the not so near history.If you tried to invade Japan in ww2 you would get your behinds kicked hard. Japan isnt Hungary(my people) or Slovakia or the Cseh republic so you can marc your troops and not get shoot at.
One more thing- Russia is a power,no discusion of that cause its true,but, your hands are free,you can do whatever you want and still you cant amke peace in Checenia.You have all the equipment but still no solution.
See here,Jews have it too but they cant fight because there is a lot of preasure on them from the whole World.
Hey why dont you call Jews to resolv that Checenia thing cause obviously you cant,......or better yet,call the US,...lol.
What gives? I hear that Putin is criticizing the US for their ARMY budget,why? Cant you keep up,you have more oil and gas that all of the World put together. Invest some!
The problem is of the lack of inteligense and discipline(Japan and Israel have it) and Russia still leans on bruit force.You have so many nuclear heads, you are putting in jeopardy the whole of Mankind. No control.
If Europe is called a "juvenile kid" the you guys are a "teenager that just enterd puberty", getting in front of the mirror every two minutes and admireing his developing streinght.
You are not aware that you are indaangering all of us.I dont care what you do in your country but man, if it afects others, then i have to make you think and act like an adult.
If any of you had at least the 1/10 of the comon sense that Jesenjin in his days had, then you would be preety much on a good path.
As much as i wouldnt like to see it hapen, it seams to me that Russia wont have the streinght to keep the Asian part of its space(empire in a real sense of the word).
"Russian" you said that you were born in the region where the white tiger lives,....do you think that it makes me horrified or afraid of you?Whats that,intimidation?Are you a tiger,what powers do you have?ahahahah
That makes me laugh.Call your 3 friends and then maybe we have a fair fight,you can also bring the tiger,........hehehe,people near here and Japanees too,have bears as house pets.
You dont have to listen to me in anything i say-look at the numbers and percents.
Japanees and Jews have been wariors while both your and mine people were just a few hairs away from an Orangutan.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 01:06

Russian and Mashine, ok guys,......your right.Your Russian soldier is so respected in the World?!?The discipline of a Japanees soldier would have amazed you.You think that Russian soldiers could have done what Japan did with Pearl Harbour?You should read some of that,the atack on Pearl Harbour, and you will see.Oh the mighty Russia,damn, you guys got kicked around by a bunch of people in the not so near history.If you tried to invade Japan in ww2 you would get your behinds kicked hard. Japan isnt Hungary(my people) or Slovakia or the Cseh republic so you can marc your troops and not get shoot at.One more thing- Russia is a power,no discusion of that cause its true,but, your hands are free,you can do whatever you want and still you cant amke peace in Checenia.You have all the equipment but still no solution.See here,Jews have it too but they cant fight because there is a lot of preasure on them from the whole World.Hey why dont you call Jews to resolv that Checenia thing cause obviously you cant,......or better yet,call the US,...lol.What gives? I hear that Putin is criticizing the US for their ARMY budget,why? Cant you keep up,you have more oil and gas that all of the World put together. Invest some!The problem is of the lack of inteligense and discipline(Japan and Israel have it) and Russia still leans on bruit force.You have so many nuclear heads, you are putting in jeopardy the whole of Mankind. No control.If Europe is called a "juvenile kid" the you guys are a "teenager that just enterd puberty", getting in front of the mirror every two minutes and admireing his developing streinght.You are not aware that you are indaangering all of us.I dont care what you do in your country but man, if it afects others, then i have to make you think and act like an adult.If any of you had at least the 1/10 of the comon sense that Jesenjin in his days had, then you would be preety much on a good path.As much as i wouldnt like to see it hapen, it seams to me that Russia wont have the streinght to keep the Asian part of its space(empire in a real sense of the word)."Russian" you said that you were born in the region where the white tiger lives,....do you think that it makes me horrified or afraid of you?Whats that,intimidation?Are you a tiger,what powers do you have?ahahahahThat makes me laugh.Call your 3 friends and then maybe we have a fair fight,you can also bring the tiger,........hehehe,people near here and Japanees too,have bears as house pets.You dont have to listen to me in anything i say-look at the numbers and percents.Japanees and Jews have been wariors while both your and mine people were just a few hairs away from an Orangutan.

Ok, I talked about tigers because Dampier mentioned rare tigers species, you are and IDIOT, I am sorry to say that.

Soviets did a very succesfull offensive against Japanese forces and indeed took prisoners.

Japan was NO match for Soviet Union in WW2, ask anyone, you grunt, USSR would WIPE OUT Japan in NO time.

Guys, what do you think about this guy?

I think he is a troll, and yes, I agree with Dampier, hs posts are so random, how old are you troll?

Russia, since it unified under Moscow, has not been conquered by some of the most formidable forces in history, Napoleon, Hitler, know these my dear troll, and it repelled mongol invasion as well. Could Japan stand to Hitler or Napoleon? NO, did Russia, YES, GET A CLUE my dear friend and don't be so offensive, because you are making fun of yourself, and also learn english ok?

And brute force most of the time helps, and if it doesn't, you are not using enough, know this saying troll?

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 06:10
Japan was NO match for Soviet Union in WW2, ask anyone, you grunt, USSR would WIPE OUT Japan in NO time.

No, they definitely would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle. Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much better than Russia's.

Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to island?

If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and airforce?

as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 09:26
Xristar; The only contact I've had with Greek soldiers was in the mess hall and we didn't talk for long. I have neither read anything about the Greek army in general and so I'm very much in the dark when it comes to them.

-On conscription; It's not as bad as people make it sound. Of course, Russia's financial situation makes it tough but you can't judge conscription on that basis. In Norway we have conscription which lasts a maximum of 12 months. I voulenteered for the Engineers Batallion and served as a Storm Engineer. We clear and lay mines, build defensive positions and blow up anything. In addition we have the usual infantry training, just with alot more guns.
 -Now, in Norway only a fraction of the people who have come of age are ever enlisted so it's not that difficult to evade it. However, those who are conscripted are the best of the crop and there's little to no ill feelings towards conscription. I see it as a way to repay my nation for the life it offers me. Norway's army is very respected and it's officers have experience from many parts of the world(Balkands, Middle East, Africa, anywhere where UN peacekeepers have been involved). The only thing that pulls the Norwegian army down is the numbers, we're 4.5 million people in Norway and that means the army isn't all that big. However, we balance that by training some of the best soldiers in the world(There's a reason why every country comes to Norway to train). The thing that makes Norwegian people very good soldiers is the mindset. It's hard to describe but if you know anyone from Norway you might understand.

-As for the guy who said that only America and *(Don't remember) have had recent experience; Norway, along with several other nations, is active around the world in hot areas and from this we've gotten a whole lot of experience. The US is nowhere near as actively involved in such operations and so their level of experience is not that big. Yes, the US has gotten alot of experience from Afhganistan and Iraq but Norway has been involved in this as well and so have many other nations so.... No, America and ...... are not the only nations with experience. Hell, they may be some of the least experienced.

-------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 09:33
Hey dont get offended my Russian brother, we are not that diferent when you think about it.
I love power and force too,but i dont like communism the Rssian way.That is just not right for the people to live so horrible.Russia should be the richest land and people the richest in the World,but someone isnt alocating the wealth in the right way.Only when a man fights for something(usualy $cash$) can he give his life in battle.
"We fight for freedom"-no,no,thats not it."We fight for(exsample) mother Russia"-yeah we do,but only when that same mother can keep me from being hungry.
A man always fights for himself. If Russians had a real good ideology with  "cash and prizes" then it would be a good contender.(contender to itself because every man can be better and dont tell me that you are the best that you can be.Nobody is the best,everybody could be better if they tried a little harder)

ps- i bet you liked that last post about us being orangutans,lol,hahah, but its true                 :P

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:08

Originally posted by Illuminati

No, they definitely would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle. Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much better than Russia's. Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to island?If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and airforce? as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

have you though about this:

Where the hell would Japan get it's resources? it is pretty small, it would be surrounded BIG TIME, it would have NO resources, but once it's ships would come up to land, they would have the crap bombed out of them.

Japan was not nearly as powerful as USSR, it had no resources to fight USSR, while USSR had resources to fight anybody, my friend, USA in total war was also not as powerful as USSR, the most powerful army of all time (if compared to armies of it's time) is definitely Red Army, not German Army.

I know it would be hard to land on Japan, but if they would, I hope you agree that we wouldn't be seing Japan as it is now, and it was no impossible to land on Japanese soil.

Japanese navy WOULDn't stop any russian major advance my friend, Germans didn't, how Japan could, it was not nearly as strong.

Japan would be left without ANY resources against Russia whatsoever, and it would lose in long run.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye bye Japan.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily, where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of all supplies.

US played a big role by stopping Japan, but it was not nearly as big as the role of USSR of stoppping German army, it is not just my opinion, it is true, but it is just not politically correct to say that Russia or USSr did anything good, that's why you, my friend, have no clue of how powerful USSR was, hence your ignorance of the fact that it would defeat Japan.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:15

Hey dont get offended my Russian brother, we are not that diferent when you think about it.I love power and force too,but i dont like communism the Rssian way.That is just not right for the people to live so horrible.Russia should be the richest land and people the richest in the World,but someone isnt alocating the wealth in the right way.Only when a man fights for something(usualy $cash$) can he give his life in battle."We fight for freedom"-no,no,thats not it."We fight for(exsample) mother Russia"-yeah we do,but only when that same mother can keep me from being hungry.A man always fights for himself. If Russians had a real good ideology with  "cash and prizes" then it would be a good contender.(contender to itself because every man can be better and dont tell me that you are the best that you can be.Nobody is the best,everybody could be better if they tried a little harder)ps- i bet you liked that last post about us being orangutans,lol,hahah, but its true                 :P

sorry for last post, this your post is reasonable actually, I see what you are saying, I agree.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:20
So Russian you say that USSR was stronger then the Germans?
Yeah you beat Germany,why?,....because the whole world joined against them.
No,no my friend.
You can claim what you want but USSR could never have deafeted Germany had they been fighting amongs themselves,alone.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:41

So Russian you say that USSR was stronger then the Germans?Yeah you beat Germany,why?,....because the whole world joined against them.No,no my friend.You can claim what you want but USSR could never have deafeted Germany had they been fighting amongs themselves,alone.

well, we can not know that, after dissolution of USSR documents have been released that showed that USSR was building forces much faster than Germany was destroying them.

The only help Russia had was from US, some tanks and vehicles, and that's it, by 1943, soviets recovered production rates and were able to decicively defeat german forces completely alone.

Also, Western front open in 1943, when Soviets were defeating germans allready, USA and UK were kinda watching at who is gonna win, and then try to become allies with who ever that would be, but USSR prevailed in 1943, seized initiative and from that time on, ONLY by itself could defeat Nazi Germany.

Actually I think that USSR could have defeated Nazis by itself, but it would take WAY more casualties and time, once it moved factories eastward, german forces were done, plus they wouldn't be advancing as fast as they did further in Russia, I agree that there were times when it seemed that Russia would fal, but I think it wouldn't, Moscow has been allready taken before, Russia didn't fall though, war of course would be on for much longer. you think germans were that good equipped? West helped Russia not that much, although it tries now to increase it's role in defeating Nazis.

99% of equipment of german forces under Stalingrad was soviet, by that time allready German army was out of equipment, their production capabilities were not nearly as powerful as USSR.

I hope you agree that the most powerful land army in history was end of WW2 Red Army, because if it would meet German forces, german forces would be done in no time, have you heard of Operation Unthinkable? UK and USA didn't dare to go on USSR with total war, Churchill proposed but was told that it is not militarily feasible by Chiefs of Staff, they told him that concerning the relative strengths, we are not in position to take offensive.

Something about Tiger (tank), germans, before they had tigers, didn't even match soviet T-34s, the only thing they were relying on their sudden attack (they actually backstabed USSR) and on superior command officers.

If you read german generals notes, they say that it is a forsaken war in 1941, Hitler himself, told his commanders: "Had I known russia's tank stengths, I wouldn't have started this war". By 1943 Hitler's officers knew that they would lose.

And it ia commong misconseption that iot was only Germany, it was Romanians, Italians and so on, so Russia was not fighting Germany one on one, Russia was fighting a lot of countries, Germans were mostly officers.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 16:00
Batyuska                Wink

Your a good man but young, i was thinking like that when i was 11 too.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 21:08

No, they definitely would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle. Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much better than Russia's. Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to island?If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and airforce? as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

Where the hell would Japan get it's resources? it is pretty small, it would be surrounded BIG TIME, it would have NO resources, but once it's ships would come up to land, they would have the crap bombed out of them.

Japan was not nearly as powerful as USSR, it had no resources to fight USSR, while USSR had resources to fight anybody, my friend, USA in total war was also not as powerful as USSR, the most powerful army of all time (if compared to armies of it's time) is definitely Red Army, not German Army.

I know it would be hard to land on Japan, but if they would, I hope you agree that we wouldn't be seing Japan as it is now, and it was no impossible to land on Japanese soil.

Japanese navy WOULDn't stop any russian major advance my friend, Germans didn't, how Japan could, it was not nearly as strong.

Japan would be left without ANY resources against Russia whatsoever, and it would lose in long run.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye bye Japan.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily, where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of all supplies.

US played a big role by stopping Japan, but it was not nearly as big as the role of USSR of stoppping German army, it is not just my opinion, it is true, but it is just not politically correct to say that Russia or USSr did anything good, that's why you, my friend, have no clue of how powerful USSR was, hence your ignorance of the fact that it would defeat Japan.

Russia had a terible navy. It was ill-equipped and was small in numbers. Thats a fact.  Not to mention history on Japan's side. Remember, Russia got it's but kicked by Japan's navy in the japanese-russo war. Your baltic fleet was completely destroyed.

lol....please look at a globe.

YOU CAN'T SURROUND JAPAN WITHOUT A NAVY. IT'S AN ISLAND

Japan's supply lines ran through the pacific and into South East Asia! That's why Japan had been invading msot of the South Pacific and South East Asia!!
Do you know anything about WW2??

Russia had no way of cutting those lines. Russia had no South Pacific bases. Thus, no way to stage an attack on japanese supply lines.

and you said I was ignorant....

In order to threaten Japanese supply lines Russia would ahve to mvoe it's land army down thru china and into the rest of South east Asia. And that wasn't a possibility.
How are you going to get Russian troops from island to island in the pacific with no navy??

and what about teh fact that Japan's air force was superior in technology and numbers than the Russian air force. remember, the russian air force was terribly defeated by the German during their attack. Russia had a poor air force during WW2. Russia won because of brute force man power and because they were able to use their masses of T-34's effectively.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye bye Japan.Zero's 

Not at all. the russians had inferior planes. Japanese Zero's were better than most planes in the war. Plus, where is russia going to fly their planes from? You could only fly out of USSR, which would not have worked agaisnt a superior air force that knows you can only launch attacks out of one place.

Russia would be at the mercy of teh japanese air force. The japanese with navy had many carriers. How many did Russia have? None.

Furthermore, you show your lack of strategic knowledge in comparing the GROUND war against Germany to the Pacific NAVAL theatre where the USSR would have to be island hopping to be able to beat Japan.

Russia had no way of countering japanese carrier fleets which would ahve put Russia on the defensive.

face the facts: russia had no way of cutting the pacific supply lines of Japan. Russia had no navy to attack or transport troops to japanese islands. Russia's air force could't defeat Japan's air force. Russia has no real strategy to defeat japanese carrier fleets which could travel and strike from Russia from many different directions. Russia had no pacific base with which to even attempt to attack japanese supply lines. You're also assuming that Russia would eb on the offenseive. With japan's superior air force and naval capablites, Russia would be getting bombed alot more than japan would.

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 12:08

Japan was NO match for Soviet Union in WW2, ask anyone, you
grunt, USSR would WIPE OUT Japan in NO time.
No, they definitely
would not. Russia took a few northern positions from Japan, but didn't
step foot on Japan's home islands. Russia would not be able to win
against Japan in no time. It would have been a LONG and hard battle.
Not to mention Japan's navy would wipe the floor with the Soviet Navy
just as they did in the Japanese-Russo war. The Japanese Navy would
stop cold any major Russian advance. Russia can't fly it's troops to
the Japanese home islands. Not to mention Japan's air force was much
better than Russia's. Without the help of the US to destroy Japan's
Navy how are you planning on Soviet troops getting from island to
island?If it wer strictly Russia on japan, Russia couldn't have done
squat to Japan's pacific empire. The US won because the US navy was
able to beat the Japanese Navy and isolate and bypass many island
strongholds and cut supply lines to the Japan. How would Russia would
have done that with an outdated and numerically inferior navy and
airforce? as far as greatest modern army.......WW2 German Army. They
had without a doubt the most ingenius commanders of the 20th century.

Where the hell would Japan get it's resources? it is pretty small,
it would be surrounded BIG TIME, it would have NO resources, but once
it's ships would come up to land, they would have the crap bombed out
of them.

Japan was not nearly as powerful as USSR, it had no resources to
fight USSR, while USSR had resources to fight anybody, my friend, USA
in total war was also not as powerful as USSR, the most powerful army
of all time (if compared to armies of it's time) is definitely Red
Army, not German Army.

I know it would be hard to land on Japan, but if they would, I hope
you agree that we wouldn't be seing Japan as it is now, and it was no
impossible to land on Japanese soil.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of
USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye
bye Japan.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily,
where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who
had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was
this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of
all supplies.

US played a big role by stopping Japan, but it was not nearly as
big as the role of USSR of stoppping German army, it is not just my
opinion, it is true, but it is just not politically correct to say that
Russia or USSr did anything good, that's why you, my friend, have no
clue of how powerful USSR was, hence your ignorance of the fact that it
would defeat Japan.

Russia had a terible navy. It was ill-equipped and was small in
numbers. Thats a fact.  Not to mention history on Japan's side.
Remember, Russia got it's but kicked by Japan's navy in the
japanese-russo war. Your baltic fleet was completely destroyed.

Russia would cut supply to Japan also, maybe even more easily,
where supply comes from? I would guess from land, right? well then, who
had most powerful land army in history at that time, I think it was
this small country to the north, called USSR, which would also cut of
all supplies.

lol....please look at a globe.

YOU CAN'T SURROUND JAPAN WITHOUT A NAVY. IT'S AN ISLAND

Japan's supply lines ran through the pacific and into South East Asia! That's why Japan had been invading msot of the South Pacific and South East Asia!!
Do you know anything about WW2??

Russia had no way of
cutting those lines. Russia had no South Pacific bases. Thus, no way to stage an attack on japanese
supply lines.and you said I was ignorant....

In order to threaten Japanese supply lines Russia would ahve to mvoe
it's land army down thru china and into the rest of South east Asia.
And that wasn't a possibility.

How are you going to get Russian troops from island to island in the pacific with no navy??

and what about teh fact that Japan's air force was superior in
technology and numbers than the Russian air force. remember, the
russian air force was terribly defeated by the German during their
attack. Russia had a poor air force during WW2. Russia won because of
brute force man power and because they were able to use their masses of
T-34's effectively.

Who told you that Japanese air forces were better than that of
USSR? any proof? I think USSR would have air superiority and then bye
bye Japan.Zero's 

Not at all. the russians had inferior planes. Japanese Zero's were
better than most planes in the war. Plus, where is russia going to fly
their planes from? You could only fly out of USSR, which would not have
worked agaisnt a superior air force that knows you can only launch
attacks out of one place.

Russia would be at the mercy of teh japanese air force. The japanese
with navy had many carriers. How many did Russia have? None.

Furthermore, you show your lack of strategic knowledge in comparing the
GROUND war against Germany to the Pacific NAVAL theatre where the USSR
would have to be island hopping to be able to beat Japan.

Russia had no way of countering japanese carrier fleets which would ahve put Russia on the defensive.

face the facts: russia had no way of cutting the pacific supply lines
of Japan. Russia had no navy to attack or transport troops to japanese
islands. Russia's air force could't defeat Japan's air force. Russia
has no real strategy to defeat japanese carrier fleets which could
travel and strike from Russia from many different directions. Russia
had no pacific base with which to even attempt to attack japanese
supply lines. You're also assuming that Russia would eb on the
offenseive. With japan's superior air force and naval capablites,
Russia would be getting bombed alot more than japan would.

OMg, dude, you really don't have a clue, don't you.

USSR could go in to China, USSR could go WHERVER IT WANTED, except western Europe, because there were US nukes, although that was still a possibility, it WAS a possibility, my friend, get a clue about Red Army.

USSR's IL-2, flying tank was not that bad, that's first thing, second thing, there is such thing as AA guns, you are GREATLY overestimating air forces power, USSR in Stalingrad was at mercy of German Army Stuka diving bombers, did they win though? NOPE, because of AA guns and the amount of them my friend, Air is not everything, do not overestimate air forces, strong enough land army can defeat air forces of the enemy above them.

If there would be a total war between Japan and USSR, USSR would not even doubt about wiping out Southeast or any other part of Asia with it's land army, to which there was no match whatsoever, I don't think eny country in South East Asia would oppose USSR.

The fact is: Russia WOULD have ways to cut supplies, Japan would have been left without supplies and then it is done.

And I asked you for proof of the fact that japanese planes were better, all I heard was just your opinion, nothing else, a link maybe will do it, not biased link though, I think russian Il-2s would do good against Japanese fighters.

Why USSR has to be island hopping? Just go to the mainland, capture it all, and you are done, no supply for Japan, leave islands to Japan, let it have them, there is not much resources there, not nearly as much as there is in mainland, oh, and once Japanese planes appear over USSR border, they are hit down, once Japanese warships (except aircraft carriers) appear near USSR shores, USSR shows them the meaning of a word artillery.

So, you, my friend, suggest that Japan would be on offensive and it would land and attack USSR's land army? Well, if you suggest this, it is funniest thing I have ever heard.

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 13:15
Ahhh...
USSR couldnt go into China "officially" as US can nuke there (hence the "unoffical" Russian units turning up during the Chinese and Korean wars.
Next air power is VERY important, look at the battles of the Korean war, the UN forces only held on because of air power.

Secondly AA isnt all its cracked up to be, in London the Germans used heavy bombers which flew out of range of British AA guns, the only way to destroy them was with nightfighters. Not only that but the Luftwaffe was a tactical not strategic airforce. She lacked numbers, size, bomb carrying capacity,defences, range and height(compare any German bomber to something like the Lancaster, Flying Fortress or Sunderland). Stukas are there to cause chaos and panic ahead of advancing mobile units not to pound people into submission, and particually not in a city as wrecked as Stalingrad. Moreover as the Stuka is a dive bomber it cannot come too low for fear of hitting buildings and the lower it comes the more chance of AA hitting it.

IL-2 was a brilliant plane though.

USSR might be able to beat Japanese land forces in Manchuria and Korea perhaps but the Japanese only fought one major land campaign and that was in Burma, in the jungles (which USSR troops would find very difficult going). The Pacific war is always about naval power and seizing the islands, something the Russian navy could not do. The Russian navy being small, obsolete and incapable compared to the brilliant Imperial Japanese navy. Not only that but Russia lacked carriers, soemthing of particular importnce when against Kamikaze. Trouble is Russia might hold the mainlands but Japan would be far from beaten and would retain control of the islands.

IL-2 would do fairly decentyly but the Zero is an undisputed master plane, not only that but the Japanese air force was better traine dthan the Russian and Russia would lack bases to use their planes from against Japan itself.

USSR has to go island hopping only if it wants to win, the islands are very resourceful (Singapore? Hong Kong?) as well as providing air bases. Japan can supply itself fairly well and Koreans and Chinese would no doubt be just as discontented with the Commissars and NKVD as with the cruel Japanese opression. Japanese planes can use carriers, does the USSR have enough money to buy the requisite numbers of fighters and AA guns to cover all of the coast of China, Russia and the like? No, nor does it have radar. Japanese planes would be able to raid at will. And why would any halfway intelligent Japanese admiral or captain come into artillery range? Moreover many battleships can outrange most artillery. Nor did Russia have enough artilley to cover all the costal areas. In a similar vein Japanese carriers can launch air strikes on the artillery or spot themfor the ships.

Would Japan really go on the offensive, read up on the Russo-Japanese war- yes.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 15:14

Ahhh...
USSR couldnt go into China "officially" as US can nuke there (hence the "unoffical" Russian units turning up during the Chinese and Korean wars.

Next air power is VERY important, look at the battles of the Korean war, the UN forces only held on because of air power.

Secondly AA isnt all its cracked up to be, in London the Germans used heavy bombers which flew out of range of British AA guns, the only way to destroy them was with nightfighters. Not only that but the Luftwaffe was a tactical not strategic airforce. She lacked numbers, size, bomb carrying capacity,defences, range and height(compare any German bomber to something like the Lancaster, Flying Fortress or Sunderland). Stukas are there to cause chaos and panic ahead of advancing mobile units not to pound people into submission, and particually not in a city as wrecked as Stalingrad. Moreover as the Stuka is a dive bomber it cannot come too low for fear of hitting buildings and the lower it comes the more chance of AA hitting it.

IL-2 was a brilliant plane though.

USSR might be able to beat Japanese land forces in Manchuria and Korea perhaps but the Japanese only fought one major land campaign and that was in Burma, in the jungles (which USSR troops would find very difficult going). The Pacific war is always about naval power and seizing the islands, something the Russian navy could not do. The Russian navy being small, obsolete and incapable compared to the brilliant Imperial Japanese navy. Not only that but Russia lacked carriers, soemthing of particular importnce when against Kamikaze. Trouble is Russia might hold the mainlands but Japan would be far from beaten and would retain control of the islands.

IL-2 would do fairly decentyly but the Zero is an undisputed master plane, not only that but the Japanese air force was better traine dthan the Russian and Russia would lack bases to use their planes from against Japan itself.

USSR has to go island hopping only if it wants to win, the islands are very resourceful (Singapore? Hong Kong?) as well as providing air bases. Japan can supply itself fairly well and Koreans and Chinese would no doubt be just as discontented with the Commissars and NKVD as with the cruel Japanese opression. Japanese planes can use carriers, does the USSR have enough money to buy the requisite numbers of fighters and AA guns to cover all of the coast of China, Russia and the like? No, nor does it have radar. Japanese planes would be able to raid at will. And why would any halfway intelligent Japanese admiral or captain come into artillery range? Moreover many battleships can outrange most artillery. Nor did Russia have enough artilley to cover all the costal areas. In a similar vein Japanese carriers can launch air strikes on the artillery or spot themfor the ships.

Would Japan really go on the offensive, read up on the Russo-Japanese war- yes.

Ok, Nato held in North Korea only because North Korea didn't have anything against air.

USSR WAS able to put AA guns, it needn't not have any money, it just orders from the factory, and it is done.

Japan would go on the offensive against USSR land army Dampier, if you say so, I will repeat it, it is a very funny statement, it was impossible for Japan to go versus USSR on land, simply impossible.

ok, for the same reason, let me ask you some questions:

Did Japan have enough carriers to cover all shore of China, NO, can artillery be moved where carriers are YES.

Did Japan have enough aircraft to attack along all shore of China, NO, it would attack only strategic targets, and USSR would have more than enough AA guns to protect them, production capabilities were bigger than of any other country.

So, as you see, we don't need AA guns all along shore of China.

Ok, let's keep all other countries away from this theoreticall conflict, ok? So, in this case, USSR would go where ever it wants on land, and I hold that it WOULD cut resources from Japan.

Ok, if Russia has control of mainland, where there are more resources, on mainland or islands? Mainland, so, who would last longer concerning supplies, USSR, and I mean long run here.

In similar way, long range artillery would spot ships and open fire when they are coming, because not all land based artillery will be outranged by ships.

Would Kwantung Army go on the offensive against USSR Red Army: NO. Russo-Japanese war was fought in a poor staate of Russia's Army, it was not NEARLY as powerful as it will be 40 years later. You are greatly mistaken Dampier if you think Kwantung army would even start offensive against USSR. Are you saying that Japan would defeat soviet Union via invasion?
read:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1986/RMF.htm

by the way, Japan lost more soldiers in Russo-Japanese war, although still won.

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 17:19
 -O, Russian... Do you have any references to back up your statements? What you're doing now is saying "this is how it is and that's it". That is not the way to conduct a discussion. Japans superior air capabilities, strong navy and strategic location would be too much of a match for USSR at that time. Do you have the faintest idea of how hard it is to cut off an island(Well, Islands)? It's hard enough to cut of a landlocked area.

"can artillery be moved where carriers are YES."
 -Errr, no. It'd get a bit wet for the artillery crew I think... Artillery cannot be moved quickly enough to keep ships in check. Just moving the artillery from place to place would be an immense strain on the army.

-The Zero was one of the best airplanes of WWII, beaten only by the P-51. The Russian Yak wasn't all that good.

-I doubt that Japan would have been able to attack USSR with much luck. The USSR army would be too much of an obstacle, but the same is true the other way around. Japans position, air superiority and strong navy would stop the USSR cold.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 17:58
Never said the Japanese could conquer Russia, merely that they could raid and pillage coastland and generally being a pain.

USSR cant order that many AA guns....and trouble is while you only have to hold strategic areas thats still an awful lot os coast and an awful lot of strategic areas. Hell most armies cant even protect themselves with AA let alone the whole Eastern coast of Asia! Japanese planes could still mass up at certain areas to launch raids en masse that AA couldnt stop.

Japan cant beat Russia on land but Russia cant beat Japan on sea or islands.

Carriers move faster than artillery does and have far more range.

Japan doesnt need mainland resources, it did fine enough on its own and while they would produce less what does that matter, they are the only ones who can take the initiative because they can choose where to go, Russia just has to sit and wait for the attacks.

If there is long range artillery that can beat ships then 1) its rare enough so cant be everywhere 2) Japanese just use their battleships whose guns can shoot furthur or just raid and destroy the artillery by night.

Soldiers arent everythin  mate, Russia lost more than Germany in WW2 but still was a winner.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 18:07

Never said the Japanese could conquer Russia, merely that they could raid and pillage coastland and generally being a pain.

USSR cant order that many AA guns....and trouble is while you only have to hold strategic areas thats still an awful lot os coast and an awful lot of strategic areas. Hell most armies cant even protect themselves with AA let alone the whole Eastern coast of Asia! Japanese planes could still mass up at certain areas to launch raids en masse that AA couldnt stop.

Japan cant beat Russia on land but Russia cant beat Japan on sea or islands.

Carriers move faster than artillery does and have far more range.

Japan doesnt need mainland resources, it did fine enough on its own and while they would produce less what does that matter, they are the only ones who can take the initiative because they can choose where to go, Russia just has to sit and wait for the attacks.

If there is long range artillery that can beat ships then 1) its rare enough so cant be everywhere 2) Japanese just use their battleships whose guns can shoot furthur or just raid and destroy the artillery by night.

Soldiers arent everythin  mate, Russia lost more than Germany in WW2 but still was a winner.

Well, now I kinda agree, because it seemed that other guys were arguing that Japan could invade USSR.

Well, about Russia sitting there and waiting for attack, it has been actually sitting there and doing this for a long time, lol.

I obviously agree that USSR could not launch a full scale attack on Japan, because it is an island, but I still think that this island will be cut off supplies sooner or later, it may take coastline, but sooner or later it will have to advance further in to mainland, by sooner or later I mean a lot of time, and then it will get beaten there and finally run out of supplies.

Although being on an island is called strategic advantage, I think that being on a large mainland with a lot of resources is more of an advantage.

Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 13:37
Actually Japan is fairly self sufficent on itsd own and while obviously they might lose in the long run thats only if you ignore all other factors (the Allies, the other Axis etc). Not to mention that its entirely possible Japanese scientists would be able to develop their own nucleur bombs, I remember a program in which they said that Germany actually sent a U-boat with fissile materials, instructions and the like to Japan but it was made to surrender to Royal Navy ships off S. America (cant remember if they surrendured voluntary or if the British ships got to them).

Trouble is of course that while Russia would hold the mainland they woudl lose the initiative and commando raids can be devestating (check the role of the British Royal Marines Commandos, SBS, SAS, LRDG etc).

-------------

Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 14:22

Actually Japan is fairly self sufficent on itsd own and while obviously they might lose in the long run thats only if you ignore all other factors (the Allies, the other Axis etc). Not to mention that its entirely possible Japanese scientists would be able to develop their own nucleur bombs, I remember a program in which they said that Germany actually sent a U-boat with fissile materials, instructions and the like to Japan but it was made to surrender to Royal Navy ships off S. America (cant remember if they surrendured voluntary or if the British ships got to them).

Trouble is of course that while Russia would hold the mainland they woudl lose the initiative and commando raids can be devestating (check the role of the British Royal Marines Commandos, SBS, SAS, LRDG etc).

I think USSR would develope nuclear bombs first, I read that when Moscow was about to take Berlin, Stalin ordered to get to some laboratory first, before allies at all costs, because it is there that german scientists developed nukes.

Here is an interesting question, I wonder if you guys know that:

Who was the VERY first person to develop the concept of rocket and most importantly of a rocekt that would fly us to stars? He didn't build rocket, he developed concept and theory. You know who is that.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com