Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are You proud of Your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are You proud of Your Country
    Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 20:22
Originally posted by Milos Obilic

Serbia;

3. made significant scientific contribution to our civilization.

Can you name one made by anyone born, raised, or educated in Serbia?
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 20:46
Nikola Tesla.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 20:50
Nikola Tesla was born in Croatia, was educated in Austria, and made all his scientific contributions in the United States.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 21:26
But he was Serb.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 21:29
Yes. Hehehe. Xx You remind me of my Grandmother in reverse. Every accomplishment in my life "and you still married a Croat, pfft...".
pegasusdi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pegasusdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:38
In response to the topic in general:
I guess it may be  quite dangerous to be proud of one's civilization or one's national history since in these areas there is a thin line between patriotism and nationalism.  In some cases there is an implicit argument of superiority.
To those who defend them by making a distinction between nationalism and patriotism, i am afraid i am still skeptic about it.  In some cases patriotism is used to define the phenomenon of nationalism since 'nationalism' does not sound politically correct nowadays. 
The problem with national histories are quite obvious, one's victory is one's tragedy and there is no good to  have a discourse of pride.
The problem with the civilization is similar:  just look at the discourses of 'civilizing mission'/white man's burden  or more recently 'clash of civilizations'.
imagination sets us free to be what we want to be
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 20:07

Serbia;

1. defended the Christian Europe against the Asian invaders.

well done

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
aska_lankas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote aska_lankas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 21:15
i hate mycountry and thinkit is an embarresment to be called a citizen of australia and allied with the american president george bush. 
Americanus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 13:26
I dont think that you should hate your country just because your Allied with the US that alliance could come in handy later.
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 17:27
Originally posted by gcle2003

I forgot my adopted country.

1) Captain Vimes

2) Veterinari, the most efficient and least burdensome dictator ever

3) the amazing tolerance of Ankh-Morpork culture

Surely the Librarian should be in there somewhere..Oook!

For Britian;

1. Banning slavery and enforcing it.

2. Fish and chips.

3. The British; uncomplaining, hardworking, loyal, brave, trustworthy. Basicly the code of the Merchant Marine that Joseph Conrad so admired.

Americanus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 09:01
Thats a good reason to love your country Dampier. And whats good about it is that all your reasons make sense.
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 09:19
Originally posted by merced12

Serbia;

1. defended the Christian Europe against the Asian invaders.

well done

John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 09:34
i hate mycountry and thinkit is an embarresment to be called a citizen of australia and allied with the american president george bush.

you should leave then if you hate a country for such a dumb reason

Edited by John Doe
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 09:33

Absolutely, please vacate as there are more than enough would-be migrants who eagerly seek to become productive and loyal citizens. Perhaps you can move to some magnificently superior country instead, like the 8 or so with higher standards of living, the 7 or so with a more honest and incorruptible public sector, or one of the other 3 where over 95% of adults partake in voting and democracy.......

I won't be so arrogant as to claim "we are the best", but Australia isn't too bloody bad either. You can easily do worse. The alliance with Bush doesn't change that.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 09:36
ok might as well participate:

1. A long tradition of egalitarian attitudes and institutions

2. Mateship

3. Being down to earth and having a healthy dose of common sense most of the time (exceptions include sporting events etc)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789