Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are You proud of Your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are You proud of Your Country
    Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 15:33
 DayI, if you post a message in an international forum, and you have in your hand a flag from Egypt, please say "i'm turk" when you exclaim "us!". I thought you was egyptian
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 18:44

..having given this a great deal of thought, more than i could handle!!......i still found it very hard to come up with any 'specifics'....

..my football team? Chelsea and the national squad?..our sense of pride? our general friendliness? our govermental structure?.......no, not these really...!!!!

...a more difficult exercise than i first imagined!!!.......there were so many 'pros and cons'....moreover, many of my initial thoughts could be debated forever...and being from England, i am very much aware that my country is quite easy to 'attack' and 'criticise'...but... 

..In no particular order, and i am still not sure...and bound to be controversial i think.....but here goes....

....Our history and heritage, in particular the last 1000 years, truly and educational period....i am proud of the positives we English have learnt from this time and the positives that have been exported round the globe...

...the extension of cultural and racial tolerance in the modern world after the above.....in my eyes, England is still many years ahead compared to some nations around the world....

...last but probably not least....the English language, a global phenomenon...the very basis of communication throughout much of the world...business, politics, learning etc...i am quite sure it will not always be like that, but for now, as it stands, i think this is an appropriate 'thing' to be proud of....

...well, i will now go and grab some sandbags and build my redoubt!!!!

Otuken View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Otuken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 04:03
as a Turk

-great foods
-nice girls
-old and successful history(it may mean a horror for other peoples, but we cant change the history, right?)
-great war arts and materials,(tatar crossbow, special alloy swords etc)
-cool warlike woman/man dresses(before Islam)
-my homeland(except politics)
-turkish style of living, its very different from others, i cant discribe it, you have to live it

lmne TuraN, Delicesine Intikam, Trk'e Kefen Bienin Sonu Felakettir
Tanr Trk' Korusun,Yceltsin
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 07:28

I want to add somethings:-

1. Inventing Writing.
  2. First Legal Code.
  3. First Library&Museum.

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 09:01

1. Courage through history

2. Scientists - Nikola Tesla, Mihailo Pupin, Milutin Milankovic, Jovan Cvijic...

3. Sports - basketball (since 1995. 3 times euro champions(1995., 1997., 2001.) 2 times world champions (1998., 2002.), silver on Olimpics 1996.); current waterpolo world champions (and numerous other medals); volleyball - gold at 2000. Olimpics (and a few other medals I can't remember

... Mornie utli (darkness has come)

Believe and you will find your way

Mornie alanti (darkness has fallen)

A promise lives within you now ...
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 09:19

Originally posted by Ikki

1. Go across the seas, explore the entire world, turn around the Earth by first time.

2. Make a bridge between the muslim, cassical an christian world.

3. Our painters, specially Velzquez, Goya and Picasso.

I beg your pardon?

Luv_ya_Azerbaijan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 09:39

First of all , Hii to ya'll

hmm let me think, what do I like about my country, i'd say fooood, our folk dances, flag, jokes, girlzz, language, architecture......

Turk milletlerinin birlik yoluna!!!!
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 09:57
Originally posted by Spartakus

1.For more than 3.000 years of historical contribution to humanity.

2.For the humanistic and ecumenical character of the Hellenic Civilization

3.For the complexity ,vastness and greatness of the Hellenic Language(Ancient-Medieval-Modern).

Not at all spartake!!

1.Euro (football) 2004

2.Eurobasket -2005

3.Eurovision -2005

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 14:08

Afghanistan:
1) Patriotism
2) Passion for defending independence
3) Honor and Pashtunwali

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 14:28
I am not
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 14:37
China
haha women's sports especially volleyball
LIU XIANG male 110m hurdles world record
YAO MING huston rocket center
military tradition, Sun Tze's Art of War, three kingdoms period
Korean War
all the inventions that changed the world

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 17:59
Originally posted by BlindOne

I am not

A greek not proud of his country??? Well that has to be a first

Normally when i ask a greek their nationality i always get the answer "i'm greek and proud" like the "and proud" has joined into the nationality

Edited by Anujkhamar
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 18:33

France

1. Having the fairest, largest, most developed country in western Europe.

2. Being a world power now for nearly 1500 years since creation by Clovis.

3. THe culture, architecture, cuisine claim to be the most sophisticated in the world.

4. French great projects like the Eiffel tower, Louvre, versaille, Milau bridge, channel tunnel and lately the construction of a massive tunnel under the alps to link Lyon and Milan.

Everything except the the strikers and unionists that I despise.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

I beg your pardon?

You can claim too the 1 and 2, but you can't refuse me both achievements.

Edited by Ikki
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 07:00
Hah, I guess all people are proud with their girls! Well, me too! 
Also with what else...
- Nature - A nice relatively sweet-watered sea, wide open plains and beautiful high mountains
- History - Not only ours (although even only ours would be enough), but also of our lands - we're the country 3rd in Europe with most archaeological monuments - Prehistoric, Thracian, Hellenic, Roman, Byzantine, Bulgarian, Ottoman cultures
- Cuisine - although it may not be much for the Westerners taste, but at least we have one of the best natural yogurts (ask the Japanese )
- People - well, John Atanasoff (the one, who invented the first modern computer ABC - Atanasoff-Berry Computer) should be enough. But there's also a high probability that Cyril and Methodius (inventors of the Glagolitic alphabet) were half-Bulgarian, half-Greek (Greek father, Bulgarian mother) and Kliment of Ohrid (student of the two brothers and inventor of the Cyrillic alphabet) was definitely Bulgarian. For sports players I can't say much, cuz I'm not so interested in this, but at least: the golden football generation from 1994 (being fourth in the world), especially Hristo Stoichkov and this years chess champion for men, Vesselin Topalov, and for women - Antoaneta Stefanova (plus Liubcho Spasov for veterans; hey, we're currently ruling the chess world). All in all, we're a nation of individuals...
- The famous Bulgarian hospitality (which, unfortunately, is starting to disappear in the big cities), tolerance, hard-working, love for freedom etc.

Edited by NikeBG
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 07:17

From my Bulgarian side I would quote Nike's post. From my Russian side I need to say only one thing : winning the most epic and decisive war in human history and saving all the other peoples in the world from certain annihilation.

Edited by the Bulgarian
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 09:20

Originally posted by JiNanRen

China
haha women's sports especially volleyball
LIU XIANG male 110m hurdles world record
YAO MING huston rocket center
military tradition, Sun Tze's Art of War, three kingdoms period
Korean War
all the inventions that changed the world

You forgot Lao-Tsu...

Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 09:33

1- seperating from Britian and surviving

2- becoming the strongest nation when others thought we could not

3- the aid we give to other nations

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 17:34

Hmmm as the Pole

1. For having one of the first democratic systems in Europe, multicultural society with the policy of religious tollerance in times when in the rest of Europe people were being burned for their religion, and first in europe, second in the world written constitution,

2. for taking Moscow in 1610 and defeating Russians on the battlefield more times than did any other nation in history

3. for making whole eastern block and Warsaw Pact collapsed

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 20:05
On Armenia

1) Homeland of Noah's Ark

2) Adopting Christianity before anyone else, and staying Christian

3) Surviving every empire that has risen and fallen in Western Asia/Europe   for the past 3000 years (one not fallen) lol, 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>