Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are You proud of Your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Sino Defender View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are You proud of Your Country
    Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:08

1) 5000 years of history

2) the great wall

3) architecture

4) food

5) had a lot of ancient inventions

"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:02
1) The victory in the War of Independence against Soviet Russia.

2) The fact that we have been at our present location since the formation of our ethnicity and haven't carried out wars of invasion.

3) Not turning into a country of shifting dictatorships after the collapse of the USSR, but a democracy with Western and Nordic rolemodels. Moving away from the Soviet heritage as fast as the years make it possible.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:32
1. Go across the seas, explore the entire world, turn around the Earth by first time.

2. Make a bridge between the muslim, cassical an christian world.

3. Our painters, specially Velzquez, Goya and Picasso.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 16:48

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Well, my country has done some horrible things, but there are many things to be proud of.

(1) the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812- Where Americans outnumbered 2 to 1 beat a British army with only 500 casualties in the end

Jackson's men only beat off the first attack. Before the British could launch another attack they heard the war had already been called off.

So it was a draw - time out, and no penalty shootouts

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 16:50
Originally posted by D.C.

Please excuse the lack of explaination to my choices here but its 2:30 in the morning here...I will include links where I can.

In general the way in which Australian fighting man has conducted himself in battle over the nations short history. Always fight with pride, respect and honor and the fact our adversaries respect us for such qualities (the Turks and Vietnamese are a prime example of this). Examples of said traits:

The Battle of Long Tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

The Battle for Beersheba http://www.lighthorse.org.au/histbatt/beersheba.htm

Well there are many other examples (Isurava, El Alamein, Gallipoli, Kapyong), you get the point.

There isn't anything else that I will put down as this is the reason I am a proud Australian, I'm not going to come up with any other reasons why its good to be Australian as they would just be fillers (I am happy being an Aussie don't get me wrong, but I don't have the national enthusiasm of some of AE's other members). We neither have the history nor the impact culturally to come up with anything else.

You forgot Don Bradman and Shane Warne.

D.C. View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote D.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 21:28
Well yeah, I guess I did forget our sporting achievements, then again I don't consider cicket a sport...spending 5 days out on a field is more akin to grazing.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 21:39
Originally posted by gcle2003

Jackson's men only beat off the first attack. Before the British could launch another attack they heard the war had already been called off.

So it was a draw - time out, and no penalty shootouts

It was not a draw. The British army in the area was completely decimated. Therefore, that battle was not a draw, but a Decisive American Victory, not a draw or any crap.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 21:42

Old culture

Korean Language

'Miracle of the Han River'=Rapid economic development from 1970's

Censored View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Censored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 00:02
chingis khan
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 00:09

1. Multiculturalism

2. Non-aggressive foreign policy

3. Social progressivism (the recent Conservative victory is only a temporary setback)

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 02:08

1)powerful capitalist economy

2)melting pot of the world cultures

3)stable government

4)powerful military

Member of IAEA
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 05:18

we got nothing to be proud. now is one of the most ashamed time for my country. we only hope we can built a new glorious history by ourselves. our refulgence is in the future, not now, let along the past. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 07:36

there are a lot of things to be proud in Turkish history

so i cant write just a few things

Edited by alperen
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 08:13
Originally posted by sinosword

we got nothing to be proud. now is one of the most ashamed time for my country. we only hope we can built a new glorious history by ourselves. our refulgence is in the future, not now, let along the past. 

Man, go out of China , you know? The entire world look at China, your culture is expanding, your economy is the jealousy of 3/4 of the countries... No, believe me, this is not your worst time.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 11:44
Originally posted by Mila

1. "In this city, an amazing alchemy of cultures and religions merge into a single one - yet each keeping something of its character and being recognizable for what it is." While it is all but destroyed in the rest of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and severely damaged in Sarajevo, I am most proud of the centuries of religious and cultural diversity and tolerance that existed in Bosnia and Herzegovina. There are other cities around the world with mosques, churches, and synagogues - though most are not as close together, or were built at nearly the same time, as in Sarajevo. But certainly there are very few other places where villages with less than 2,000 people often have two or three different religious buildings.

2. Our ability to survive, and continue to hold old, against the nationalist objectives of our neighbors. From the era of the Bosnian Church, to today - we have never given in and become either Croatian or Serbian and - God willing - we never will. Likewise, our self-centered culture that - with the exception of siding with Croatia during the Second World War - has been focused mainly on being ourselves, on living, without the constant wars with outsiders commonplace in the histories of our neighbors.

3. The 1984 Winter Olympics. Sarajevo was the center of the world and we, in no way, disappointed.

I pretty much hold the same views on that.

On America.

1 - The Decleration of Independence

2 - The continious push for more internal democracy, even though the movement has been slower in the last three decades.
3 - The Bill of Rights
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:29

-creating of great empires

-estabilishing empires for hundreds of years, not like the mongols after a 100 year ruled disappearing

-War of independence

-Allways finding a way to survive or to win while the most think its impossible

-Having real lived hero's, not fiction-made hero's such as arthur or something

-Having of no fear but expert in spreading fear such as "mamma il turchi"

-NOT BEING CONQUERED FROM ON THE BEGIN OF OUR EXISTANCE OF THIS DAMN WORLD!!

Edited by DayI
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by DayI

1. Who do you think that was El Cid, Joan of Arc and the Black Prince???

2. LOOOOLLLLL!!! Hicsus, lybians, nubians, assirians, persians, greeks, romans, arabs, ottomans and finally english. Anybody you say?

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:02
Egypt did all these?   j/k

yup
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:04
Originally posted by Ikki

2. LOOOOLLLLL!!! Hicsus, lybians, nubians, assirians, persians, greeks, romans, arabs, ottomans and finally english. Anybody you say?

Meself did speak as a Turk not as a Egyptian or something. Also i mean with "not being conquered" not being conquered as a whole.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:07
Originally posted by Ikki

what about them? afaik they all got conquered by another and all of them dissappeard from the scene as of today.

edit: oh, you thought he's an Egyptian lol

Edited by erci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>