Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are You proud of Your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
majkes1 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote majkes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are You proud of Your Country
    Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 03:39

Name three things that You are most proud of in Your country/nation history.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 04:20
I think that my country sucks, but when compared with the rest it may even be saved, at least we haven't invaded anyone since the Neanderthals... 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
majkes1 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote majkes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 04:44

Hey Maju

Where are You from?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 05:29
Basque

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 06:17

Fundamentalist Islam, Khomeini and Ahmadinezhad

More seriously, architecture, art/culture and landscape.

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 06:42

1) Food

2) History/architecture

3) Rani Muckherjee

Edited by Anujkhamar
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:04
I'm not particularly proud of my country, Germany, but there are a few moments.....one could be mildly be proud of...

1. ...of the German people admitting that they committed the worst genocide in history, the Holocaust, and being solely responsible for the outbreak of the most destructive war in history. (This of course should be natural thing to do, but as many other nations still have problems to admit to their past crimes, it unfortunately still something of an exception)

2. ...of those German people that actively resisted the Nazi-regime, many of them being killed. tortured and imprisoned.

3. ... of Germany winning the Football World Cup three times, and the European Championship three times as well. (Guten Morgen, Paul)
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:05
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

1) Food

2) History/architecture

3) Rani Muckherjee

You have reason.

In fact for my money you could have included Indian women in general.

As for England

1) The legal system

2) The Parliamentary system

3) Stoicism. (Not the philosophical school, but the attitude)

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:08

Scotland:

... haggis? Kilts?

The Highlands, Edinburgh and Scottish people in general.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:10

I forgot my adopted country.

1) Captain Vimes

2) Veterinari, the most efficient and least burdensome dictator ever

3) the amazing tolerance of Ankh-Morpork culture

majkes1 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote majkes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:29

Basque

I've heard that Basques are very nice people from. And I was told this by Spanish

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:30
Well, my country has done some horrible things, but there are many things to be proud of.

(1) the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812- Where Americans outnumbered 2 to 1 beat a British army with only 500 casualties in the end

(2) Being the one of the only democracies while Europe was still full of Imperialistic Monarchies.

(3) The Battle of the Bulge(particularly the Battle of Bastogne) - The American led Allied Forces hold back a huge surprise offensive by the Germans in the Ardennes Forest in Belgium while being low on supplies and ammunition until they are relieved by Patton's 3rd Army.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:52
Tolerant politics and the fact that half our country is beneath sea level though not underwater
majkes1 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote majkes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 10:04

Tolerant politics and the fact that half our country is beneath sea level though not underwater

You could say the same about Netherlands

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 10:35
I am from the Netherlands (I've changed my location to Denmark to show my support for the Danes in the cartoon row)

Edited by Mixcoatl
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 10:42

1.For more than 3.000 years of historical contribution to humanity.

2.For the humanistic and ecumenical character of the Hellenic Civilization

3.For the complexity ,vastness and greatness of the Hellenic Language(Ancient-Medieval-Modern).

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote wilpuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 10:55

1) The Finnish people

2) History: fighting around 40-50 separate conflicts, in some form or other, against Russia, losing pretty much all of them and STILL STANDING!!

3) Strong democratic foundations

4) Ice Hockey world champions of 1995, Den glider in!

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 11:04
1. "In this city, an amazing alchemy of cultures and religions merge into a single one - yet each keeping something of its character and being recognizable for what it is." While it is all but destroyed in the rest of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and severely damaged in Sarajevo, I am most proud of the centuries of religious and cultural diversity and tolerance that existed in Bosnia and Herzegovina. There are other cities around the world with mosques, churches, and synagogues - though most are not as close together, or were built at nearly the same time, as in Sarajevo. But certainly there are very few other places where villages with less than 2,000 people often have two or three different religious buildings.

2. Our ability to survive, and continue to hold old, against the nationalist objectives of our neighbors. From the era of the Bosnian Church, to today - we have never given in and become either Croatian or Serbian and - God willing - we never will. Likewise, our self-centered culture that - with the exception of siding with Croatia during the Second World War - has been focused mainly on being ourselves, on living, without the constant wars with outsiders commonplace in the histories of our neighbors.

3. The 1984 Winter Olympics. Sarajevo was the center of the world and we, in no way, disappointed.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
D.C. View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote D.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 11:31

Please excuse the lack of explaination to my choices here but its 2:30 in the morning here...I will include links where I can.

In general the way in which Australian fighting man has conducted himself in battle over the nations short history. Always fight with pride, respect and honor and the fact our adversaries respect us for such qualities (the Turks and Vietnamese are a prime example of this). Examples of said traits:

The Battle of Long Tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

The Battle for Beersheba http://www.lighthorse.org.au/histbatt/beersheba.htm

Well there are many other examples (Isurava, El Alamein, Gallipoli, Kapyong), you get the point.

There isn't anything else that I will put down as this is the reason I am a proud Australian, I'm not going to come up with any other reasons why its good to be Australian as they would just be fillers (I am happy being an Aussie don't get me wrong, but I don't have the national enthusiasm of some of AE's other members). We neither have the history nor the impact culturally to come up with anything else.

Edited by D.C.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 12:52
  1. Cradle Of Civilizaton.
  2. Inventing Chariots.
  3. Flourishing Baghdad.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>