Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCultural Genocide in Azerbaijan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cultural Genocide in Azerbaijan
    Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 15:04

Ever since the Nagorno-Karabagh war, Azerbaijan adopted a policy of cultural genocide. The Armenian churches of Karabagh and Nakhichevan suddenly became "Albanian churches" to the eyes of the Azerbaijani government, even though Caucasian Albania was located in the north-east of Azerbaijan. Then, Azerbaijan continued by destroying traces of Armenian life in Nakhichevan (an autonomous Azerbaijani exclave). Recently, Azerbaijani troops proceeded by destroying the Armenian khachkars of Jugha/Julfa. They attempted doing this in 1998 and 2000, and now, in 2005.

The Armenians of Jugha were known as rich merchants who traded in India, Holland, and elsewhere. These khachkars were as rich as those Armenians. Some of the stone-crosses were 600 years old. Infortunately, most of them were destroyed last  week.

Here's a video: http://www.hairenik.com/Haireniktv/HA_TV_Clip04.htm

Here are some pictures: http://www.cathcil.org/v04/doc/Photos/Pictures109.htm

Note that it was carried out in an organized way. There were trucks, hammers, and other tools... It was also done during the day, and not during the night. They surely didn't intend to keep this a secret. 

They aren't able to take on the living, so they're disturbing the dead? 

Is this something that the world is supposed to ignore?

Edited by Artaxiad
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 16:41

I think its funny how people fault Armenians for rising up against a government that carries out such policies. Now that theres documented proof, its obvious to everyone what this government is trying to do.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 21:52
Artaxiad, i never knew that Nakhichevan was originally armenian, so it was enlightening in that respect. As for these policies, im not completely suprised, but still disgusted.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 10:23

Artaxiad knows very well what they did to "cover" "hide" and "remove" permanently Turkish herritage in those area's. Like covering, hiding and destroying Turkish NAMES and GRAVES, BUILDINGs also covering Turkish writings on the walls with cement. So they has the right to say"Here hasnt any Turk lived before as you see..."

Guys f**k off whit those lies.

Edited by DayI
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 12:14

ArmenianSurvival,

The funny thing is that they still have claims over Karabagh and Syunik (which is the Armenian province seperating Nakhichevan from Azerbaijan proper). How could the inhabitants of Karabagh live under Azeri rule? It's obvious that the Azerbaijanis would gladly crush Armenians, instead of stone-crosses. 

DayI,

The major Muslim power in the Caucasus was the Safavid Empire, not the Ottoman Empire. Most of the Islamic buildings in Armenia were built by Iranians, not by Azeris (who had more of a tendency to destroy).

As you see in these pictures, Armenians preserve Islamic cultural monuments:

The mosque in Shushi, Karabagh:

Mosque in Yerevan:

But what we get in return is seen in that video.

More about Nakhichevan : http://www.armenianow.com/?action=viewArticle&AID=1045&a mp;IID=1040&lng=eng
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 20:09

thats awful. much like how the greeks keep destroying old ottoman mosques in their tracian territories.

Originally posted by Artaxiad

The major Muslim power in the Caucasus was the Safavid Empire, not the Ottoman Empire. Most of the Islamic buildings in Armenia were built by Iranians, not by Azeris (who had more of a tendency to destroy).

Azeris are Iranian. so yes, they were built by azeris too. Let me just say, the today's republic of azerbaijan was called Arran same with its inhabitants before the 20th century. also Ottman empire had nothing to do with the present day karabakh and the republic.

"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 21:12
Originally posted by Alborz

thats awful. much like how the greeks keep destroying old ottoman mosques in their tracian territories.

Let's not hear any of this b/s ok? These "mosques" were nothing more than churches converted into mosques. What happened to all the churches in Turkish Thrace and Western turkey? Of course these are ripped down, just like mosques in Greece were.

Originally posted by Artaxiad

Azeris are Iranian. so yes, they were built by azeris too. Let me just say, the today's republic of azerbaijan was called Arran same with its inhabitants before the 20th century. also Ottman empire had nothing to do with the present day karabakh and the republic.

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 21:48

I was trying to say that the Armenian Republic's Islamic monuments are Safavid Iranian, not Ottoman Turkish.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 03:11

Let's not hear any of this b/s ok? These "mosques" were nothing more than churches converted into mosques. What happened to all the churches in Turkish Thrace and Western turkey? Of course these are ripped down, just like mosques in Greece were.

Well Infact  half true,I am at Akdamadeni,Yozgat, and here I can see(with  eyes, didnt interest much with number of mosque or church) two mosque, and two church.

One of this church is converted to mosque, other one is a hospital.

They are not used as church, because there are not any christian here, but they are not ripped down too.(Infact I heard  some greeks come here, If can find some, you can ask them)

You can still find a lot church in Turkey, some of them  maintained and turned other building, like mosque, hospital. other notmaintened, but they are hunderds still here, after 100 year.There were not a systamatic destruction against churchs. I cannot say this for greece, how much mosque you have there?

Artaxiad safavids iranians were also turk, and  If looked safavid areas,  you can see most numerous ethnic at safavids are azeris.

I think as much as we own ottoman heritage,  azeris also have safavid heritage.

The Armenian churches of Karabagh and Nakhichevan suddenly became "Albanian churches" to the eyes of the Azerbaijani government,

Just  like azeris mosques becomed persian mosque

By the way, only two mosque? What azeris did is worse than what armenians did,  but armenians also destroyed a lot mosque.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 05:00
Originally posted by Mortaza

What azeris did is worse than what armenians did,  but armenians also destroyed a lot mosque.

Mosques and churches were probably both blasted away during the war. There is no war now, the Azeri government is just carrying out rediculous policies.

I have actually not even seen proof of mosques being destroyed in Karabagh. 25% of the population of Karabagh was Azeri, and they had a mosque which still stands today. Remember, the 25% of Azeris had only been in Karabagh for no more than 70 years (Karabagh became part of Azerbaijan from 1920-1988), while Armenians had been there far longer, hence the many churches. Also many churches in Karabagh either have bullet holes all over them (one from the 13th century), and the others had to be rebuilt after the war. Armenians also rebuilt the Azeri mosque in Shushi, which was where much blood was spilled (it was the decisive battle of the war). Also in Shushi, the Azeri military had their barracks set up inside an 18th-century Armenian church, so the Armenians wouldnt attack them.

By the way, only two mosque?

Yes, youre talking about lands that have had an Armenian majority since before the time of Christ. Not many permanent foreign communities were set up in mountainous Armenia, especially not in Karabagh, which is even more isolated.

Just  like azeris mosques becomed persian mosque

In Karabagh everyone refers to it as an Azeri mosque, because thats what it is. The one in Yerevan is a Persian mosque, not Azeri.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 05:46

ArmenianSurvival

IIRC 200.000 azeris was exiled from ROA, do you realy think, they had only  one mosque(and It looks like a persian mosque)?  or do you  realy think there were a war,  inside of ROA? so how do we know,  200.000 azeris  lived at ROA?

By the way,  when did that persian mosque built? I didnt know, there were persian people who lived ROA. is  it  new?

There is no war now, the Azeri government is just carrying out rediculous policies.

Yes, I agree  about this.  Attacking historical herritage is  complately a guilt.

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 09:58

By the way,  when did that persian mosque built? I didnt know, there were persian people who lived ROA. is  it  new?

The Blue mosque of Yerevan was built in 1765 by Hossein Ali Khan. It was repaired with Iranian financial support.

http://www.iranembassy.am/relations.php?module=mosque.html

Most Iranians in Armenia are students.

We forgot about the mosque of Aghdam, Karabagh.

Most of the town was destroyed during the war, except the mosque.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 02:26

ArmenianSurvival

IIRC 200.000 azeris was exiled from ROA, do you realy think, they had only  one mosque(and It looks like a persian mosque)?  or do you  realy think there were a war,  inside of ROA? so how do we know,  200.000 azeris  lived at ROA?

As for mosques inside the Republic of Armenia, there are still mosques. Theres not that many, but if you look at modern churches, they are also very rare. It is hard to find a church in Armenia that has been built within the last 100 years. Most of them are ancient. So if you compare modern mosques with modern churches in Armenia, the Azeris probably had more mosques-per-person than Armenians had churches.

Also, most of those Azeris were not in the Republic of Armenia, they were in Karabagh and mainly the surrounding regions. If you lived in eastern Turkey and Kurdish rebels militarily took the region, would you stay or fear that you would be killed? I dont think you would stay, I sure wouldnt. The Azeris werent exiled, they started leaving as the Azeri army was slowly being pushed further and further back into Azerbaijan by Armenian forces. Had they stayed, who knows what could have happened. But they chose to leave. Now, it might not have been much of a "choice", but given the circumstances of war, its better to leave than to stick around and find out what happens. If I was an Azeri, I would leave. Likewise if I was an Armenian and the Armenians lost, I would leave as well. Staying under foreign occupation is not a safe thing to do in that part of the world, I'm sure you know that as well as I do. That is why Armenians in Karabagh dont want to be under Azerbaijan, and its why Azeris left the occupied regions of Azerbaijan as their army was leaving, before the Armenians fully took over.

Also as I said, those 200,000 or so Azeris had only been in the region for around 70 years, and they were still a minority in Karabagh (because most of them were in regions surrounding Karabagh, and not actually in the province). The reason they left is because Armenia also occupies parts of Azerbaijan outside of Karabagh, and im sure those Azeris didnt want to live under Armenian occupation. This is the sad reality of war. Those regions surrounding Karabagh are basically a military buffer, as well as a way of breaking and preventing the Azeri blockade of Armenia and Karabagh. Which Azeri (or human being for that matter) would want to live in a military buffer? Better things are waiting for them in Baku, which is where most of them went. Azeri nationalists accusing Armenians of genocide didnt help, either. Thats why many Azeris left. Although I'm sure there were soldiers who were irresponsible to say the LEAST, there is no evidence whatsoever of exiles or genocide. You can't take a couple of individual atrocities and call it 'genocide', because by that standard, we can say Azeris also committed genocide.

Speaking of exiles, what do you think about the Azeri exile of Armenians from Nakhichevan? The reason Armenians didnt "leave out of fear" as I explained earlier, is because Nakhichevan was given to Azerbaijan by Stalin, and not through war. Thus, Armenians had no reason to be scared of Azeri rule at first. So what happened to these Armenians? No one ever talks about that.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:04
It's a typical armenian work; Thieving.

Trkn herşeyi gzeldir ve herşeyden gzeldir. (mehmet emin yurdakul)

Luv_ya_Azerbaijan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:13

now that's a funny non-recognized map I'd say, aren't you guys tired of spreading such lies, including the map by the way.

Edited by Luv_ya_Azerbaijan
Turk milletlerinin birlik yoluna!!!!
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:19

seems to me you guys are making ''genocide''  out of everything, and the next genocide will be the ''economical genocide''

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:48

this is no better than what the taleban did.

im sorry, but this action by the azeribaijani army is disgusting. and this goes to anyone who does such things.

Edited by prsn41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:54
occupying 20% of Azerbaijan is very disgusting too and denying it even worse!
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:55

Originally posted by Luv_ya_Azerbaijan

occupying 20% of Azerbaijan is very disgusting too and denying it even worse!

iran isnt occuping anything 

proove that we are occuping azerbaijan.

and what does that have to do with cultural genocide?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:56

ArmenianSurvival

There is no war now, the Azeri government is just carrying out rediculous policies.

Yes, I agree  about this.  Attacking historical herritage is  complately a guilt.

Of course the Azari mosques will be styles like Persian Mosques, Iran and Azarbaijan were part of the same territory up until 1821, since Achaemenids to Qajars. And both countries are Shie.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>