Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedillegals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: illegals
    Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 23:49
Originally posted by strategos

It is because these hispanics come into the United States Not respecting the culture or the language. They come in and treat it as a "little Mexico", and live how they would in Mexico, many not even taking the time to learn english. English should be made the official language of the United States, and the only language. Many immigrants from Europe HAd to learn english, many by night school, and then these hispanic immigrants come in and don't even bother. This angers the American people.

Strategos, we are not Hispanics.
Let me culture you a little bit.
Hispanic is a person born on the Hispanic Peninsula ( Spain and Portugal ).
We are not Latinos. A Latino is a person born in Italy Peninsula.
We are MEXICANS !!
We are not central America or South America.
Central America starts below the Usumacinta river, got it, bud ?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 02:18
I think it is a general term sort of like Anglo. The same can be said about the term Anglo Saxon. Not every white person in American or Canada is Anglo Saxon; Slavic, Mediterranean, Baltic, Turkic and Basque. Now the term Latin, not Latino, would fit someone with Roman or Mediterranean ancestry, including many Spaniards, Greeks and Italians. Since many Mexican have Spanish ancestry wouldn't that make them Hispanic, only the ones with that ancestry. I have spent time in Mazatlan and I saw a lot of diversity amongst the Mexicans; from pure Indian, to various blends of Spanish and other nationalities, to pure Spanish. Our host was half Mexican and half Chinese, great cook!!!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 02:26
general terms like Hispanic arent that bad, after all int he US a white person is usually just refered to as "white" irrigardless of ethnic/national background.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 09:20
Jalisco Lancer is seeing the issue from the perspective of a person living in Latin America. There is no great "Latin-American" feeling throughout the continent. Every person from every country identifies with his or her own nationality. And if you pay attention, you will see that these feelings survive in the U.S.

The "Hispanic" or "Latino" identity exists only the U.S., and it is not that strong within the community. The term "Anglo" is use contrastively with "Mexican," meaning "white American," at least among Mexican immigrants. More popular than "Anglo" is calling white people "Americans."

Change the context, and the terms that Mexicans use changes as well. For example, talk about different group of white people, and they will start using words like "Irish," "Italian," and for people who came from England, "Anglo-Saxon."

But this is the way with every ethnic group. After all, Irish and Italians are still given a hard time in the U.S. Most people wont say outright anti-Irish or Italian slurs, but they hide these under the name Catholic. Interestingly, Mexicans, who are overwhelmingly Catholic, do not fall under this category.
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 12:35
Originally posted by eaglecap

I think it is a general term sort of like Anglo. The same can be said about the term Anglo Saxon. Not every white person in American or Canada is Anglo Saxon; Slavic, Mediterranean, Baltic, Turkic and Basque. Now the term Latin, not Latino, would fit someone with Roman or Mediterranean ancestry, including many Spaniards, Greeks and Italians. Since many Mexican have Spanish ancestry wouldn't that make them Hispanic, only the ones with that ancestry. I have spent time in Mazatlan and I saw a lot of diversity amongst the Mexicans; from pure Indian, to various blends of Spanish and other nationalities, to pure Spanish. Our host was half Mexican and half Chinese, great cook!!!

There are a lot of Chinese descendant in Sinaloa. My Grand grand mother came from Guang Dong and moved from Mexicali to Michoacan.

I know some people from Sinaloa with Chinese roots and they are awesome cookers.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 12:49
She cooked up this six course shrimp dinner that was out of this world!!!!

I like the car license plates- Estate de Sin or state of sin-

My favorite breakfast is a mexican one with refried beans. by the way Soon I will be back in Greece- hurray!!!
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 13:02
the abbreviation of Sinaloa ( Sin ).
Have a safe trip to Hellas.
Regards
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 18:24

I really think we should protect our borders. One thing that boils my blood though is a illegal alien or even a foreigners can get away with life saving treatments from hospitals. And the money comes out of American pockets. In one recent example a women from Peru had a stroke in a mall, she was treated. The hospital tracked her and gave her the bill, it was alittle over 6000 dollars, she refused to pay and threatened to sue. Now her husband is very rich and own a good company so shes not even poor.

Even if they can't afford it its still not fair to Americans, a pregnant women can come in and have a baby without paying any bills. Its just not fair at all. There were a few more cases, a few from Europe they showed that were in the thousands that weren't paid also, so its not only from the Americas. But alot of illegals do take advantage...

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 18:31

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Strategos, we are not Hispanics.
Let me culture you a little bit.
Hispanic is a person born on the Hispanic Peninsula ( Spain and Portugal ).
We are not Latinos. A Latino is a person born in Italy Peninsula.
We are MEXICANS !!
We are not central America or South America.
Central America starts below the Usumacinta river, got it, bud ?

Please, I do not need your "schooling." Come to the U.S. for a month or so and you will learn all you need.

In America, people from Mexico, Central and South America can be indentified as Hispanic or Latino, and MANY DO recognize themselves as such. I have Hispanic friends, and this is no way offensive to them, and if it was all offensive to you, then that was not intended. And please, none of this bud sarcasm stuff again..

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 18:36

Originally posted by hugoestr

Furthermore, no European immigrant had to learn English. There was no immigration office chasing immigrants into night classes. It was in their best interest to learn English, and that is what they did; many Mexicans are doing the same thing for the same reasons.

?

Yes, not DIRECTLY they had to learn english, but to surive, it was a neccesity back then. AN immigrant from Germany had no help to learn english. Many Hispanics now a days have ESL programs in schools, more night classes, and many signs and such things are written in Both english and Spanish. Because there is such a help With the hispanic population, they is not as great  a need learn english. As they say, you can't learn language A speaking in language B.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 19:03
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I really think we should protect our borders. One thing that boils my blood though is a illegal alien or even a foreigners can get away with life saving treatments from hospitals. And the money comes out of American pockets. In one recent example a women from Peru had a stroke in a mall, she was treated. The hospital tracked her and gave her the bill, it was alittle over 6000 dollars, she refused to pay and threatened to sue. Now her husband is very rich and own a good company so shes not even poor.

Even if they can't afford it its still not fair to Americans, a pregnant women can come in and have a baby without paying any bills. Its just not fair at all. There were a few more cases, a few from Europe they showed that were in the thousands that weren't paid also, so its not only from the Americas. But alot of illegals do take advantage...

Is that the fault of the fault of politics or the fault of the immigrants?

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 19:20

Its both if you ask me. Unfortunatly I don't write the laws... But they do take advantage of it and its known. Just the like that woman from Peru, and she was rich and refused to pay anything.

There would also have to be laws for the major problem of sueing others for the dumbest reasons, or just like the woman from peru she'd just have to sue the hospital and cause more lose on the hospital. Theres a whole lot of laws that would have to be passed through politics, and until then our system will continue to be taken advantage of.

I don't mind legal immigrants coming because they are here to make a living, and the illegals or visitors are just stealing from all the Americans whether it be White, black, or hispanic, they lose there money to pay for someone who has no right to do what they did.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 19:34
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Even if they can't afford it its still not fair to Americans, a pregnant women can come in and have a baby without paying any bills. Its just not fair at all. There were a few more cases, a few from Europe they showed that were in the thousands that weren't paid also, so its not only from the Americas. But alot of illegals do take advantage...

I agree 100% with you so go to www.congress.org and write your reprentative. I have sent several emails and even one to Bush. I know Bush will never read it but by theory if he recieves enough maybe he will change his policy, I doubt it though.

I catch the Roth show once in a while and she covers the problems of illegal immigration on her radio show.
type in the Roth show
She broadcasts out of little Spokane, WA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 22:49

Originally posted by hugoestr

Furthermore, no European immigrant had to learn English. There was no immigration office chasing immigrants into night classes. It was in their best interest to learn English, and that is what they did; many Mexicans are doing the same thing for the same reasons. ?

Yes, not DIRECTLY they had to learn english, but to surive, it was a neccesity back then. AN immigrant from Germany had no help to learn english. Many Hispanics now a days have ESL programs in schools, more night classes, and many signs and such things are written in Both english and Spanish. Because there is such a help With the hispanic population, they is not as great a need learn english. As they say, you can't learn language A speaking in language B.

You are incorrect. There were night schools for European immigrants. My wife's grandparents learned English that way. They came to the country in the 1910s. It was such an institution that there is even a radio comedy show in the 1930s or 1940s about immigrants learning English at night school.

You really don't know anything about Mexican immigrants' life in the U.S. All what you have is the viewpoint of a biased outsider looking at these people.

So, do you live in the Midwest, Southwest, or the South, Strategos?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 23:01
I think the whole idea of using the term Hispanic probably came from the fact that most white Americans cannot tell a Mexican apart from other groups in Latin America. Maybe some groups from other Latin American countries were offended because they were confused with Mexicans.
It is sort of like the Ukranian who was upset at me for calling them a Russian. I can't tell they all look the same and besides they are both Slavic. We have around 23,000 recent immigrants from Russian and Ukraine.
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

edited by double posting

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Strategos, we are not Hispanics. Let me culture you a little bit. Hispanic is a person born on the Hispanic Peninsula ( Spain and Portugal ). We are not Latinos. A Latino is a person born in Italy Peninsula. We are MEXICANS !! We are not central America or South America. Central America starts below the Usumacinta river, got it, bud ?

Please, I do not need your "schooling." Come to the U.S. for a month or so and you will learn all you need.

In America, people from Mexico, Central and South America can be indentified as Hispanic or Latino, and MANY DO recognize themselves as such. I have Hispanic friends, and this is no way offensive to them, and if it was all offensive to you, then that was not intended. And please, none of this bud sarcasm stuff again..

I have been in the States already, bud. I already learned all what I have to learn. C'mon, southern US is the 32 state of Mexico, bud

Believe me, you need more than teaching and or schooling. You should understand by now the historical ties with the southern and western US and Mexico.

Las Vegas, California, Nuevo Mexico, Tejas, Colorado , El pueblo de Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles, Arizona, Santa Fe, San Francisco, San Diego, San Leandro, San Luis Obispo, Monterey are spanish names. Despites how much you or anybody else hates to recognize it, the Treaty of Hidalgo did not ended our ties on those lands. The border doesn't end at Rio Brvo ( not Grande River ). Even after more then 150 years of the war, the influence and our heritage will not be cut by decrees or walls. We survived to Polk, Tafft , Wilson and many other anti mexican presidents. So, get use to it, amigo.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 23:03

I have plently of Mexican friends, whose familys moved from Mexico, so do not go about telling me what I know and what I do not know..

Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 23:09
do you really have mexican friends ? uh oh...
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 23:23

do you really have mexican friends ? uh oh...

Are you trying to provoke me? I expected better from a moderator as yourself..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>