Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which extinct animals would you like to see?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which extinct animals would you like to see?
    Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 12:34
Lets say if genetic cloning could bring back some animals; which one would you like to see?

heres the ones I would like
Amphicoelias, the largest land creature to have lived.

a pic

http://www.modelsource65.com/files/HL2Models/Amphicoelias/mountain_b60004.jpg

A size reference

(Its in red)

It rivals the blue whale in size. More than 200 tonnes!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 12:47
On sea I would love to see the largest shark ever. The Megalodon.

Also

size reference
(compared with a man and a great white; in red is the megalodon)

An artists impression.
It used to hunt whales!

I suspect our Aussie friends would not be too happy to have their seas become even more dangerous. Look at the brightside mates, now to instead of elections or a no confidence vote all you need to do to get rid of a PM or any pol is to tell him to take a swim.

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 14:51
I'd like to see all the theorpods... from a safe distance, and hunt one once cloning had bought back enough of them that the population was stable, I wonder what threropod meat would taste like 

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:00
sabertooth!!!!!
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:10
I would like to see mammoths. 
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:24
Hey this is a great thread.

I would love to see some of Australia's unique and fascinating megfauna which existed prior to the arrival of Australian aborigines circa 40,000 years ago. Here are a couple of top contenders:

Diprotodon, the largest marsupial which ever lived. Basically one massive, oversized wombat.

And even more fascinating is our own enigmatic maruspial lion, which a stronger bite in relation to its jaw size than any of the big cats of today:

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bonediggers/images/vani-01.jpg&imgrefurl=www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bonediggers/vani-01.html&h=468&w=378&sz=53&hl=en&start=3&usg=__yAtAFAEgDXixDeoQj0pHOIK6Gc0=&tbnid=pV59VcHAWAJAyM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3DThylacoleo%2Bcarnifex%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Edited by Constantine XI - 26-Aug-2008 at 16:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:50

Phorusrhacidae's or terror birds. A giant flightless carnivourous bird. At one time birds were the apex predators believe it or not.

They stood 10 feet tall

from a museum

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 17:52
Grand Sloth.....

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 18:29
Sparten, they remind me of 10,000 BC.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 19:53
Sarcosuchus Imperator, the largest croc ever, it weighed 10 tonnes and grew to 12 meters (40 feet) in length.

Artists image of it attacking large prey.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 22:07
Great thread Sparten.Clap  There are quite a few, I was obsessed with palaeontology as a kid, so with that the first would have to be the T-rex.  As well as megalodon, I remember well a picture I saw in a book with at least 5 people all easily fitting inside the jaws of one.  Another one would be the short faced bear.

A%201.6%20m%20tall%20Arctodus%20simus%20next%20to%20a%201.8%20m%20human.

I saw a model of one on two legs in a museum/archaelogical dig in South Dakota, god it was huge.  The idea of a bear looking through the second story window of a house, crazy.  Of course I would also want to see the largest land animal ever, an animal similar in size to a blue whale only living on land, that is a must see. 

There are a ton more that are mammals:  Woolly Mammoth, Woolly Rhinocerous, really all of the various extinct rhinocerous species.  I had a book on extinct mammals, some amazing creatures there.

Edit:  I can't believe I almost forgot to mention Utahraptor.  Ever since Jurassic Park I've had an interest, even more so when I learned of the largest of the dromaeosauridae.

Image:Utahraptor%20scale.png

Edited by Justinian - 26-Aug-2008 at 22:26
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 06:13
All of them.

But the top three would probably be Neanderthals, Whatever the largest and nastiest sea predator was, and the little-known Honest Politician. Wink

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 09:36

I wouldn't mind seeing a Quetzalcoatlus on the streets of Tallinn either. An image comparision here:

There's also the infamous Sea Cow, that I'm sure Seko would like to own...

The great Elasmosaurus, with which I'll destroy the page integrity and size measures /hopefully/:

'

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 12:10
Isn't Nessie an Elasmosaurus? Big%20smile
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 12:46
Dront!

Edit: apparently that'd be dodo in English.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 27-Aug-2008 at 12:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 14:28
The admins are going to kill me for this, but pic? Or at least a link.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 14:37

You don't know a Dodo? 

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 14:55
Originally posted by Sparten

The admins are going to kill me for this, but pic? Or at least a link.

Their mere appearance makes me smile. They look like a cross between lunne birds (edit:puffins, I should stop assuming the Swe and English names are the same) and hens.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 27-Aug-2008 at 14:57
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 15:18
I do know a dodo, but hey looks better.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 01:40

My cousin Louie.  Haven't seen him in years.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>