Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The History of Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 29>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The History of Bulgaria
    Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 21:49

Originally posted by Anton

Ants, a slavonic tribe, was archeologically proven to be mixed with Sarmats -- hence Iranian words in Slavic language (f.e. Bog = God etc.)

Yes, this is the known fact. It's also known that Slavic languages are the closest to Iranian group Western Branch of Indoeuropean languages. But can you reliably show that all the words cited above are just Iranian borrowings to Slavic? I don't doubt that Irano-Slavic connection existed. I simply don't believe that all those words are in fact not Slavic

There is American archeologist of Romanian origin (Florin Curta) suggesting that Slavonic language was lingua franca in Avar khanate and it originated in lower Danube. This can explain most of influences. He is very far from being crazy  Wink

LOL That's funny. It's a well established fact that 80% population of Avar Kaganates were Slavs. For sure Slavic was a lingua-franca there. What's revolutionary in this "discovery"?
It's also a known fact that high style literal Slavic appeared in Balkan penninsula first, but it doesn't mean that Slavs originated from there. The language was simply standardized there under the influence of more advanced Byzantine scholarship.

Σαυρομάτης
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 21:57

Balkh-Aryan, you're right, I'm not persuaded by your answer. Mainly because in Thracian (or maybe only in Dacian) the word means town, fortification or something of the sort, and that's it. No "town of the maiden". This is purely a speculation.
Daiia, dawas, dena/dina are apparently three different terms, so I can't follow that connection. Anyway, I'd like to see the Samothracian inscriptions you refer to.

There is American archeologist of Romanian origin (Florin Curta) suggesting that Slavonic language was lingua franca in Avar khanate and it originated in lower Danube. This can explain most of influences. He is very far from being crazy 
Actually the theory was brought forward before him. H. G. Lunt, a linguist and a Slavist is one of the proponents, too. However, then the case of Bulgarian would be like the case of the Romance languages (Latin was also a lingua franca in Roman empire), so we can expect Thracian to be a substratum language for Bulgarian.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Mar-2008 at 21:57
Balkh-Aryan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:02
And the end of
Thracian language & Bulgarian language:

turm(-a)/ torm(-a) (rinning) - v-tur-van se (rush/ dash)
udrusa - voden (watery/ washy)
ut - ot (from/ away from/ out of...)
zama - see madiev. bulg. sam (the same)
zer - see mediev. bulg. zver/ today's zvyar (a beast)
zeta - po-syat (sowed)/ seya (sow/ drill/ sift/ bolt/ spread)
zolta - zlato (gold)
zimi - see mediev. bulg. zmii/ todey's zmiya (a snake)

And at last. Guys, I'd never said this or that kind of words have no relations to another languages. It is absolutely normal to have. But if some word existed in Your language, don't hurry up to pronounce it is only yours, because the thracians have a lot of descendents and all of us are more or less their descendents. If someone can take a dimensions how much exactly any of us comes from the thracians, pleace, do it! for example, we - the bulgarian people have about 60 %, not 100 %. That says the genetic science, not me. Isn't it a little bit naive to expect we should forget all of our language, even after more than 1500 years? Sorry, we didn't do it. By the way, Chilbudios, the thracian and dako-moessian languages was completely different, even related. Also the thracian and frigian, for my own surprise and great regret. This fact should make glad our romanian's friends, because, as they said, the Moessia was setled with dako-getians (actually in Moessia wasn't dacians, the gettians was in todays Dobrudja, and the rest was moessians) to the Balkan mountain. It  wasn't  exactly to the Balkan mountain, but almost. This is not very important because this tribes was very related and different of the thracians. Well, what to do, this is a historical fact.
Anyway don't became nervous if You don't know something. And because of this all of us are here. Are we? It is just a discussion. Good night to all of You! Clap

UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:19
Originally posted by Sarmat12

LOL That's funny. It's a well established fact that 80% population of Avar Kaganates were Slavs.
Based on what archeological and historical sources was that established? If you read same Curta you will find alternative point of view on how these Slavs were "established".

For sure Slavic was a lingua-franca there.
[/QUOTE]
That is NOT for sure at all. Even if number of slavs was 99 per cent. 

What's revolutionary in this "discovery"?
Dude, I realized that there are only to sides in your mind -- "Ridiculous claim" and "Revolution" LOL  I wish you luck with that simple vision of the world. Curta got more evidences and looked at the question at  different point of view. This is already enough to  mention him. What is the point to shit on a thing you have nothing to say about?

It's also a known fact that high style literal Slavic appeared in Balkan penninsula first, but it doesn't mean that Slavs originated from there.
The slavic "nation", according to him, I repeate, was established on borders of Byzantine Empire. And hence the language.

The language was simply standardized there under the influence of more advanced Byzantine scholarship. 

Yeah, yeah, simply standartized.
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:20
At last, Chilbudios (with a great pleasure, I met a man who are familiar to this problems), the dacian terms for town/ castle/ vilage and etc. was: dava/deva/daba/deba, upa, stur, sara
the thracian was: para, brya, burt-/burd-, diza, zura, cella, berga
A little bit different, isn't it? Smile
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:23
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Actually the theory was brought forward before him. H. G. Lunt, a linguist and a Slavist is one of the proponents, too. However, then the case of Bulgarian would be like the case of the Romance languages (Latin was also a lingua franca in Roman empire), so we can expect Thracian to be a substratum language for Bulgarian.

I know Smile
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:29
But abou the "dea/deba/deva" as "maiden/ virgin" this is I have in my book "The thracians and their language" by acad. Vladimir Georgiev edited in Sofia 1977. This man, as I said is one of the best linguists ever. This is not my opinion, but to international linguistic society. When he wrote this book there was no idea for some "iranian origin" of the bulgarian people. much less of the thracian one. The relations are in the base of the indo-aryan languages, not bulgarian, even it exist too. I friendly recommend to you the books of this man if you are interesting of this materials. I think there's on english too. Search for. Wink
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Chilbudios

However, then the case of Bulgarian would be like the case of the Romance languages (Latin was also a lingua franca in Roman empire), so we can expect Thracian to be a substratum language for Bulgarian.

Exactly. And as it seems - the one (?).
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:51
Again, in one of Curta's articles there was a citation on work suggesting Avars were initially Iranian speaking tribe. Will dig it. Maybe Chilbudius may help?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:03
Balkh-Aryan, I don't have Georgiev's book but I've read something on him and I know him for one of the proponents of the theory of a separate Daco-Moesian language, but I know nothing of him saying "deva" meaning "maiden, virgin".

At last, Chilbudios (with a great pleasure, I met a man who are familiar to this problems), the dacian terms for town/ castle/ vilage and etc. was: dava/deva/daba/deba, upa, stur, sara
the thracian was: para, brya, burt-/burd-, diza, zura, cella, berga
Actually that's not very accurate, many of the elements are actually related to hydronymy, so they are unlikely terms for town/castle/village: *Kella (attested Kellon in IGB III.1 1519) means "spring" (see the IE root but also cognates like the Germanic "quelle"). "-zura" also occurs in river names (see in Procopius, De Aedificis, book IV: "Kurtuzura river" as read by Detschew, Beshevliev reads Kurtusura). Germisara is also a name of some hot spring.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:09

That's funny. It's a well established fact that 80% population of Avar Kaganates were Slavs. For sure Slavic was a lingua-franca there. What's revolutionary in this "discovery"?
Before this theory a large number of "Slavic invaders" was postulated in order to explain the expansion of the Slavic languages. After this theory, the number of "Slavic invaders" could have been small, it is actually the prestige of the language which caused the spread, not the initial number of speakers.
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:10
Of course this topponims including terms for rivers, beach (berga) and others. What do you expected???
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:14
Originally posted by Balkh-Aryan

Hi, Menumorut1 I have something interesting for You. It is impossible to explain how exactly the gets became a gemanian tribe/ gots? Because the gottic writers them selves called their people GETI. I meen Jordanes, Enodius, Casiodorus and etc. "got's" writers. Is this also fancy?

Jordanes called the Goths Getae, perhaps this believe appeared among Goths in 5th century, when residing in Thrace (Bulgaria), where they found information about the Getae that once lived North of Danube.

Like many peoples in ancient times, the Goths tried to revendicate an origin considered noble, that of the Getae and surely they have been confused by the closeness of the names Goths and Getae.

The true Getae were actualy the Dacians from Wallachia (Southern Romania) and Moldavia as they were called by Greeks especialy in the period BC.

During the existence of Roman province of Dacia these territories haven't been included in the province but have been under strong cultural influence.

Those Dacians have been diminished in 2-4th centuries but their civilization was quite vigurous, especialy that of the Moldavian Dacians, or Carpians. There are over 100 important sites and necropoles, the bigest Dacian necropoles are from Carpic period. Also in Wallachia there are over 100 sites of Militari-Chilia culture of the free Dacians from here.

You can see the visual documentation of a Carpic necropolis here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/95985000/Valeni-necropola_carpica.rar.html

During Gothic settling in Moldavia and Eastern Wallachia (3rd century - 376) there almost only sites of the Sntana de Mures- Chernyachov culture in these areas but in the discoveries of these sites there are elements that shwos that important Dacian groups of population have lived together with the Goths and Sarmatians of the Gothic confederation.

Also, the Chernyachov culture is mainly inspired from Roman and Dacian material cultures (so, nothing Germanic), also Sarmatic and this shows that an important Dacian population existed at the coming of Goths.

Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:16
By the way, there is not any evidences about the existance of slavs in Europa before 2th century A.D. There is "veneti", but "veneti/ venedi" also was called some of the celts, an illirian tribe near to today's Venetia, and (maybe you don't know this) this is one of the names mentioned in the relation with the vithinians (yes, exactly) in some ancient sources. THERE WAS NO PROVES ABOUT THE EXISTING OF THE SLAVS IN EUROPA BEFORE 2th CENTURY B.C. That's the truth. 
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:17
I don't think "*berga" means "beach", it rather means "high place, mountain" (cf. Germanic "berg"). All our discussion about Thracian language makes sense if we try to keep some clear picture of it. Many connections between Bulgarian and Thracian are created when the Thracian terms are miscopied or mistranslated.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Mar-2008 at 23:18
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 23:36
Guys, I try to go out of this forum. Please, stop to write to me, because you force me to answer to you. Tomorrow I will be here again as usual. Good night at last! 
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 00:36

Dude, I realized that there are only to sides in your mind -- "Ridiculous claim" and "Revolution" LOL  I wish you luck with that simple vision of the world. Curta got more evidences and looked at the question at  different point of view. This is already enough to  mention him. What is the point to shit on a thing you have nothing to say about?

It is a common knowledge that Avar Kaganate was inhabited mainly by Slavs. Now you trying to make a sensation of it. And it's obvious that you are not familiar enough with basic academic works on Avar Kaganate, otherwise Curta wouldn't make you so happy. What's "ridiculous claims" and "revolutions" have to do with this? Next time try to impress me by saying that Bulgaria is mainly inhabited by Bulgarians, perhaps it will indeed shock my twisted mind LOL

The slavic "nation", according to him, I repeate, was established on borders of Byzantine Empire. And hence the language.

Slavic "nation" never existed as a coherent entity, Slavs were always divided into numerous often hostile to each other tribes. There was never a Slavic nation, like Greek or Roman nation. I start to strongly doubt the authority of your great scientist if he claims this indeed.
I'm afraid you simply misunderstood something. 
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 07:30

Now you trying to make a sensation of it.
Next time try to impress me by saying that.... LOL

Neither you are beautifull girl so that I need to impress you nor do I try to make a sensation.

Edited by Anton - 25-Mar-2008 at 07:39
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 07:45

Next time try to impress me by saying that Bulgaria is mainly inhabited by Bulgarians, perhaps it will indeed shock my twisted mind LOL

The late Rasho Rashev wrote that number of Bulgars in Bulgaria was underestimated. According to his calculations it was around 30% of the population in 7-8 centuries. I started to suspect that only thing that can shock your twisted mind is your twisted mind itself.  Wink

I start to strongly doubt the authority of your great scientist if he claims this indeed.
I'm afraid you simply misunderstood something. 

I am affraid you simply misunderstood something in MY POST. This is what you usually do hunting for "sensations" and "ridiculous claims".  
Earl
Earl

Quote Balkh-Aryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 22:13
O.K. nobody says anything. See You Tomorrow. Good night! 
UPDATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 29>