Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why not a new islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not a new islam?
    Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 17:08
Maharbbal
The fact that they used to exist create even a bigger problem: why can't they come back?

Because unfortunately, there are societies where people think they're "customs", "culture" and tribal laws are actually "religion" and have been allowed to get away with such ideas for generations.

Go to a patriarchal male shovenist and tell him about how woman were scholors, religous leaders and teachers, to the extent they were teaching in the top schools and universities and very influential and I wouldn't be suprised if you were called a "kaffir" even if you were muslim and if he thought you were launching an attack against religion.

Woman were highly influential in the muslim world originally, Islam gave them equality and opportunities against the patriarchal narrow-minded nuckle heads of the past.

Unfortunately those people wriggled their way back and started trying to manipulate religion to support their views against woman.

What exactly has a woman driving a car or not got to do with faith? how can anyone excuse not sending their daughters to school? how can people who say they're religous say woman have no religous authority, they can't attend prayers according to some, Juma is a male-only affair and other blatent examples of oppression against woman.

The worst part is, they use "religion" as their excuse for such disgusting behaviour.

The most hypocritical part is they're actions contradic with religious teachings.

They can come back via

- Tackling "ignorance", teaching what is actually written, education is essential while ignorance is prevalent.

- Stop sponcering "extremist groups" well it has mostly stopped in the West, however, they allowed such ideologies to prosper by financing and giving them the support they would otherwise not have been able to collect.

- Special attention needs to be given to the woman scholors, teachers, leaders of the past who were muslim. They need to be promoted and their importance needs to stop being pushed aside but made open.

Marharbbal
Why the important proportion of modern muslim in the West (and elsewhere) doesn't lobby for more liberal institutions.

Alot of people think the world "liberal" means, breaking family values and codes, sleeping around, taking drugs, becomming a binge drinker and so on, basically everything a muslim family is "supposed" to try and protect their relatives from.

However, in the Jewish community I also know that they give alot of value to keeping a strong family unit, family respect, rules and morals, keeping to tradition in the sense they learn language, religion and go to religous schools on weekends. They also arn't fond of the things I listed above as being connected to being "liberal".

A big difference is that, many Jews are highly educated, speak great English, are generally as a community prosperous and don't have extremist preachers getting alot of media highlight.

Alot of muslims have a big problem with the way people are hi-jacking there religion and do lobby and work hard to change these attitudes. However, it doesn't help when extremist leaders were let into their communities by the government and then treated as celebrities with their wacko views by the media.

There are alot of rational voices in the community but they're neglected for the minority of idiots who make better stories.

The problem is, these people are given more attention, they try to use their finance to take over mosques and influence impressionable minds with their ridiculous ideas.

Marhabbal
Muslim the West over are often discriminated against, but this simple fact can't explain the apartheid that is going on. I am shock in the UK to realise that young muslim do very good in school but do not mix much with the rest of the population (I mean Pakis I wouldn't know for the rest). Why is that. Integration requires efforts from both sides.
Well it depends where you go.

In London and big cities, schools are really mixed, you can have Ghanains, Nigerians, Somalis, Arabs, Turks, Kurds, Jamaicans, Poles etc in the same class.

Infact most of society is mixed, you have your pockets where there are more minority groups then others but on the whole you can see friends that are of mixed ethnicities together more than most Western cities.

However, in smaller towns there is more segregation, which is due to various factors. The problem is more socio-cultural than religous. For example, these kind of towns were initially "industrial", most the workers were from impovrished regions of India or Pakistan, they came as a community from the same area. Hence they're connected in some way, so they're going to stick together and this would be the same if they were in India Pakistan or England.

Also "religous schools" don't help and in my problem are a HUGE factor in segregation. If it were possible I would have them shut down all they do is isolate the community.

All ethnics, all religions should go to school together, when you mix with different people at a young age you realise they're not actually different. You don't look at somebody cos of religion or colour, it breaks barriers, kids bring their friends home from school, families meet each other. You naturally integrate.
Also all religions should be taught in school, this can also help.

It has to be tackled from childhood.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 17:35
As far as my personal experience goes, I've never seen a city were as segregated as London and I lived in the Parisian suburb and I now live in Queens

Never mind.

Something I didn't get, why jewish schools are ok and muslims are not? I mean what makes them less segregative and how can the muslim school inspire themselve from this example?
I am a free donkey!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 17:53
Interesting question and while fundamental Islam is not compatible with our separation of church and state I think some Muslims have adapted and maybe they will have a good influence in that religion. Knowing their history and current events I will not hold my breath. I can only hope for change.

For now, they are a small minority (Muslims) and I believe things could change as they increase in population and become more politically active. There are 2.3 million Muslims in America, NOT 7 million which included Arab Christians. I still worry the change will be negative and not positive and the idea of them possibly forcing their laws upon us is one good reason I support the second Amendment.

CAIR - Council for American Islamic Relations wants Sharia law to replace our current constitution.
Allah law is above man made laws. So, this gives me doubt but they are only one group.

I have heard Islam and also some say Mormonism are the fastest growing religions in the US, but from what I understand Wicca is the fastest growing religion. If this is true then I think it is more a fade religion for people 14-20 and most will outgrow it.

I hope that western influences will start a reformation in Islam and it would be nice to see the true moderate Muslims root out the violent elements. Sadly, to the radicals the moderates are not true Muslims and face death.

one question?? why are the so-called moderate Muslims so quiet to the terrorism and violence today. I know there are a few speaking out, which is great, but only a few.
Seko mentioned a reformed groups but I really do not know much about their beliefs. My hope is that a change will happen and they will learn to accept other beliefs as equals.

Unless there is a strong move to reform I can see this happening here- no offense:

Baghdad Christians threatened with tax, eviction
http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/210821.html

Edited by eaglecap - 08-Jun-2007 at 18:14
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 18:44
Maharbbal
As far as my personal experience goes, I've never seen a city were as segregated as London and I lived in the Parisian suburb and I now live in Queens

Well I can definately say, London is one of the most diverse, tolerant and mixed cities in Europe, having seen most major Western European cities.

Its a common site to see friends of all different ethnicities, mixed-raced couples and people free to express their cultural heritage without fear.

Compared to Paris or Berlin, there are far less problems regarding these matters.

Eaglecap
one question?? why are the so-called moderate Muslims so quiet to the terrorism and violence today. I know there are a few speaking out, which is great, but only a few.

One question?
Why does the media only give attention and a voice to a number of extremist leaders one can count on their hand...

The vast majority of muslims condeme terror but in the current Islamophobic mood it makes better news to ignore them and find some wacko spewing hatred and saying, look at them mooslems this is who they are...

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Jun-2007 at 18:48
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 19:29
eaglecap your comments remind me those heard in France in the 1960s.

Here are some facts to ease your conscience.

2.5 million muslims should not induce you to buy a gun as the ration is still 1 against 100, your side would win even armed with kitchen. Not mentioning that these muslims may well be for a good part agnostic.

France has supposedly 4 million "muslims" for 60 million inhabitants but at the scale of the it would represent a population of some 20 million mahometans.

Secondly statistically the smallest a population the fastest its rise. If I'm the only Frenchman in AE a single other one will increase the Frogs on the forum by 100% but as there are already 50 US citizens, a single other one will only increase your population by 2%. In other words don't worry you'll always have the catholic legions of Mexicans to fight the muslims.

Besides my experience is that the old world muslims (I wouldn't know for Carabbean and black ones) are very very well integrated.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 20:51
Eaglecap is just very ignorant towards Islam and muslim, his ignorance stems from a rightful stance on defence, and peace in his own home, however, what he does not understand is that "muslims" are not there to cause unrest or havoc in his home. Fact of the matter is that Spencer is not the right source to read if you want to learn about Islam, he uses lines, cuts lines, and connects the dots in such a fashion to prove his points. He does not tackle the Qu'ran verse by verse, nor does he have any acamdemic credibility. He uses larger fonts, and spaces his book extravagantly to even have a medium lengthy piece. For anyone with this dillema I strongly suggest Venture of Islam by Marshal Hodgson, it comes in three volumes, and is definetly worth anyone's time. You can get them for about sixty dollars or so alltogether. I strongly suggest them.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 21:51
Originally posted by Marhabbal

Omar do you know any of these modern unis and other programs in the West. Because I've seen unis in France and the USA, but they were financed by Saudi Arabia.

In Aus, there is an Imams school opening in the Univeristy of Western Sydney and University of Melbourne is now offering Islamic finance courses. Both of those are funded by the australian government.
In the USA there a multiple places that teach Islamic theology, including many of the big universities, although I don't know the specifics. Most of the best English speaking ulaema are Americans.
In England I know there is an Imam school, I have met several imams who have graduated from it, but I don't know where it is or who funds it. I don't know about the rest of Europe. I would expect there are some in France, however due to their strong secularist ideology I am not sure whether they would be public institutions.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 07:30
Originally posted by pikeshot

No prison sentences or exile.  Firing squads are efficient; bullets are cheap.  Europeans have had plenty of experience with those from Paris to Spain to Russia.  One's history follows one always.

Originally posted by eaglecap

I still worry the change will be negative and not positive and the idea of them possibly forcing their laws upon us is one good reason I support the second Amendment.

Now who is the more likely to start sloving problems with bullets here? Sigh. Disapprove

Originally posted by Omar

In England I know there is an Imam school, I have met several imams who have graduated from it, but I don't know where it is or who funds it. I don't know about the rest of Europe. I would expect there are some in France, however due to their strong secularist ideology I am not sure whether they would be public institutions.

There were plans to make a imam school at the theological faculty of my uni, or at the one in Amsterdam. I am not sure if it is there yet, there were some organisatioral troubles. The fact that the muslim society in the Netherlands is represented by about 3 different organisations is not very helpful, as these tend to disagree with each other constantly (if you needed proof that being muslim is no more likely to bond then christianity... Wink they are just like humans in that respect. This was a joke by the way, before someone falls over it)

Bulldog, it seems to me you have made the point very clearly. Better education is the key to solving a lot of problems, in many areas as well as this one. We can only hope that it will come about rightly. If you look at for instance the history of immigrants in the US, it is often clear that only after about three or four generations, integration will set in. A hundred years ago, Irish and Italians were still living in segregated communities in the US and wreaking havoc as they went, now they have mixed so far you cannot recognise them but for their last names. Muslim immigrants in Europe are only just starting on the third generation, far too soon to expect them to have adapted to a new country. Many of the muslims in the Netherlands are Berber from the Rif mountains in Morocco. This is a very poor and backwards country by everyines standard, in no small means because the Arab govenment in Morocco sees them as an uimportant minority and does nothing to help the area develop. The culture shock for these people coming to the Dutch culture and society was huge, and it is not very strange that the initial reaction was to withdraw within their own communities here. But their grandchildren will see things differently.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 07:39
The fact that the muslim society in the Netherlands is represented by about 3 different organisations is not very helpful, as these tend to disagree with each other constantly
]
Only 3 Shocked. Wow they are really well organised. I can count 6 of the top of my head in my town only. Apparently thats nothing compared to the Greeks, out local government has to deal independently with 12-15 different Greek groups.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 07:44

Three major ones. Which are in turn unions of multiple small ones, who still tend to disagree internally too. Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 09:19
That there are no 'liberal schools' of Islam is just a linguistic construct, arising from the fact that such schools are denounced by Islamists as non-Muslim. (Note the similar way many people in the US including ones who should know much better talk about 'Christians and Catholics').

Ahmadiyya is a modern, liberal school of Islam. Islamists in general hoewever denounce it as non-Islamic, just as Christians will deny that Mormons are Christians.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 09:56
Aelfi,

Don't get all twisted around.  Although I know you take offense at statements that make you uncomfortable, no one is promoting any "final solution" to out-of-control imams.

If (in the unlikely event) radical Islamists influenced by imams, foreign or otherwise (maniacs like T. van Gogh's murderer or domestic bombers), feel emboldened at some time to do "God's will" more frequently, what do you think will happen?  Counseling; rehabilitation; sensitivity training?

The history of Europe in the last 200 or so years has shown that harsher measures against such perceived threats are more likely than not.  You are an historian, and you know the examples, from The Terror in revolutionary France onward.  The rights of man and bourgeois society did not stop the post Imperial government in 1871 France from shooting 20 or 30,000 Communards, did it?  The Russian civil war; the Spanish civil war, etc.  And that is not including the 1940s or the Balkans in the 1990s.

A smugness has grown up that Europeans are beyond all that, but probably not.  I would hope that none of this happens again, but who knows?  

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 09-Jun-2007 at 13:16
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 11:37
Just as a side note, IMHO the major problem in world society is that people can't understand religion is something between the person and God.
People just judge others with their religion, the politicians use the religion as a tool for promotion.
But that is in fact, a great ethical error, and nothing but intervening to the religion in a bad way.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 12:34

Like one of my Professors said, "religion can either be a bridge, or a divider if you want it to be, there was a time when Christian, and Muslims lived in relative peace in Greece, and religion was a unifier people visited each other on their respective holidays, etc.. sadly thereafter it was used as a political tool, and that community vanished."

I think you are right Kap.. it should be understood as something between the individual, and God, the Divine, ...
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 13:41
Quote Bulldog:

"Its ignorance which fuels conflict, Pikeshots ignorance is akin to the ignorance of those on the opposite side of the fence, both have intollerant views and don't actually know each other."

The above is true, sadly the intolerant of whatever creed are also likely to be the most armed, organized and thoughtless in action. They have this unique ability to effect the public conscience, sucking in everybody into a quagmire of their creating.

Ultimately there are five main causes of conflict: Ignorance, intolerance, ego, need and greed. Sadly you only need one.

Ahmadiyya or Bahai are not considered heretics because of liberalism, but because they shun a fundamental tenet of Islam, that Mohammed is the last of the Prophets. You cant just make Alexander the first and Gandhi the last prophet, perform hajj naked in the superbowl and still call it Islam. No matter how agreeable or liberal it may appear. 

Ahmadiyya are in my experience more conservative than the traditional muslims. Bahaism on the other hand has multiple fractures within it's ranks and are on a constant decline. I think given time an amalgamation of cultural and religious values is inevitable, whether it would be enough for some is another matter altogether. Bosnia comes to mind.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 15:57
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

The history of Europe in the last 200 or so years has shown that harsher measures against such perceived threats are more likely than not.  You are an historian, and you know the examples, from The Terror in revolutionary France onward.  The rights of man and bourgeois society did not stop the post Imperial government in 1871 France from shooting 20 or 30,000 Communards, did it?  The Russian civil war; the Spanish civil war, etc.  And that is not including the 1940s or the Balkans in the 1990s.

A smugness has grown up that Europeans are beyond all that, but probably not.  I would hope that none of this happens again, but who knows?  

Well, I shall take your past and present theory and apply it to the US then, shan't I? If one takes into account the way the US treats and has teated in no particular order, Native Americans, African Americans and South Americans, I suppose the Mulslim community in the US should be wise enough to be packing its bags now.

I am so sorry Pikeshot, but ever since you used Tacitus to make a judgement on modern day Germany, I have had the distinct feeling you have sort of lost the connection between the past and reality.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 09-Jun-2007 at 16:40

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Well, I shall take your past and present theory and apply it to the US then, shan't I? If one takes into account the way the US treats and has teated in no particular order, Native Americans, African Americans and South Americans, I suppose the Mulslim community in the US should be wise enough to be packing its bags now.

I am so sorry Pikeshot, but ever since you used Tacitus to make a judgement on modern day Germany, I have had the distinct feeling you have sort of lost the connection between the past and reality.

Throwing it back in the face of someone who makes a point is hardly a credible way to justify an argument.  This point was NOT about the USA.  It was about Europe.  You did not respond to the examples cited; you just ignored them. 

If a "feel-good," everything-will-be-fine, and "we don't have to be bothered about possible unpleasant scenarios" is your best argument, perhaps that is the most you can do to deal with the situation in question, in the Netherlands and elsewhere.

If you will remember, the reference to Tacitus, as I stated at the time, was not literal.  You chose to make it so.  That is a not a credible way to dismiss subsequent argument.  Have you studied rhetoric? 

As you are a medievalist, you may make an academic career.  I can't imagine what else you would do with that.  If you cannot argue a point logically, and to the point itself, you will be sliced an diced by faculty (who are notorious slicers and dicers).

Don't gloss it over.  Address the point.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 22:08
Originally posted by malizai_

Quote Bulldog:

"Its ignorance which fuels conflict, Pikeshots ignorance is akin to the ignorance of those on the opposite side of the fence, both have intollerant views and don't actually know each other."

The above is true, sadly the intolerant of whatever creed are also likely to be the most armed, organized and thoughtless in action. They have this unique ability to effect the public conscience, sucking in everybody into a quagmire of their creating.

Ultimately there are five main causes of conflict: Ignorance, intolerance, ego, need and greed. Sadly you only need one.

Ahmadiyya or Bahai are not considered heretics because of liberalism, but because they shun a fundamental tenet of Islam, that Mohammed is the last of the Prophets. You cant just make Alexander the first and Gandhi the last prophet, perform hajj naked in the superbowl and still call it Islam. No matter how agreeable or liberal it may appear. 

Ahmadiyya are in my experience more conservative than the traditional muslims. Bahaism on the other hand has multiple fractures within it's ranks and are on a constant decline. I think given time an amalgamation of cultural and religious values is inevitable, whether it would be enough for some is another matter altogether. Bosnia comes to mind.

A lot of you guys love to agree with one another, and to talk to yourselves.  Anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant.  Anyone who has a point of view contrary to yours is overcome by ego.

This has become typical of AE.  Opinions are homogenized; viewpoints are bullied and discouraged.  If you had not noticed, that is why a good many former posters are not active or even around anymore. 

AE has been a great idea, but it has become, more and more, the poll parrot website.

Illigitime non carborundum.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 22:15
I think pikeshot has a point about the sentence of Bulldog's he highlighted. A little more respect is required rather than simply calling someone ignorant who has a different viewpoint.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 02:01
lol, Pikeshot IS ignorant he should know the two fellows better and not take offense. The fact is that his posts were quite harsh as well.

To address directly his point, I'd say that I hope the time of mass murder is still far in Europe. But several scenarios can be imagined that would make the old continent a place way less cool to level in and it goes from a low intensity apartheid to a series of bloody riots and terrorist waves.

To avoid this there are not 1000 solutions but two: (1) Europeanize Islam ASAP (2) economic growth of the Muslim communities. Both leading to the integration of the Muslim communities in the European society. Civil peace is fragile and once it has been broken, reconstructing it is long, expensive and painful (see Yougoslavia).

Also assuming the worst is neither constructive nor likely. Many communities have integrated peacefully (Jews in the UK, Armenians in France). Islam is a unique challenge but Europe can overcome it. My original question was precisely aiming at understanding if one of the legs of the solution was doing any progress.

BTW anything against female imams?
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>