Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Undeclared final war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undeclared final war
    Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 10:11
Aelgifu I'm noticing a trend in your posts. They seem to abandon the notions of practicality, and concentrate solely on the "what if everything that could possibly go wrong does" scenarios, even though if we followed that approach we would never have discovered fire.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 13:13
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Aelgifu I'm noticing a trend in your posts. They seem to abandon the notions of practicality, and concentrate solely on the "what if everything that could possibly go wrong does" scenarios, even though if we followed that approach we would never have discovered fire.

I would feel better about nuke power plants if the designers of them had the same attitude Aelgifu has.  When you are dealing with something like nuclear power it's wise to try and think of the unthinkable.
If that attitude was prevalent then maybe we wouldn't have things like Nuclear reactors built directly on top of active earthquake faults.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 19:18

Denis, Of course I read the article on concentrated solar power and it sounds very exciting and innovating and fantastic, and if it is feasible, as it 'appears' to be, then brilliant. We're all saved.

BUT, the development of CSP would require huge international and indeed global co-operation, and would give traditionally poorer countries like Sudan an disproportionately powerful position in world politics. Who would control these 'farms'? Who would control prices, supply, upkeep etc etc? Are we not really looking at an ideal world where money and politics don't come into effect and everybody trusts everybody else with the supply and maintenance of their entire economy, even if these countries are on the other side of the world? Maybe that's why Bush and Blair haen't looked at CSP, because they see the reality and implications of its development, and know that on a political level it would be very dangerous?

Just a thought, it seems to me that the practicalities of CSP on a political level are flawed.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 03:59
Denis the far better alternative to the CSP would be the creation of solar panels built on the surface of the moon that would collect this energy and then microwave beam it back to earth.......

Wait a minute, even better! Build a bunch of nuclear fission plants on the moon, (since they produce more power per foot than solar panels) then microwave beam that power back to earth. They could be mostly automated, and even if something went wrong it wouldn't be a big deal, the best of both worlds, screw my chuck crap into a volcano solution. Although I guess this is an addendum to my shoot it into space solution.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 06:22
We already have given a disproportianate amount of diplomatic power to the likes of Saudi Arabia exactly because they supply so many of our energy needs. The development of the CSP would be no different than our current degenerative system of importing oil from the Middle East. No better or worse than our current self destructive system :)

And anyway, the possibilities of forming a multi-continent electricity grid is indeed exciting. Hydro from the as of yet untapped wonder of Siberia and the not-exactly-at-maximum-potential Norway; Wind and wave farms in coastel regions such as Western Ireland, Scotland, Portugal, Northern Spain etc. Solar from North Africa, Arabia and potentially central asia. The question of biomass can be answered quite easily - Take away the damn EU subsidies on farming, leaving European farmers with the challenge of remaining competitive. The emerging market of Biomass can indeed make up quite a lot of our energy needs.

Maybe I'm a dreamer, an idealist, but I'd rather see us make an attempt at really developing reknewables rather than look back in fifty years time as I ring your home number to say "I told you so" as I watch some tin pot Eastern European 'democracy' such as Belarus incompetantly watch over a Nuclear Power plant which melts down causing thousands of deaths, or oversee a crazed airplane crash into Sellafield Nuclear plant by dissidents of whatever political persuasion, be they radical Islamofascists, Anarchists, communists, fascists or whatever.

/rant.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 07:39
Small issue - you can fly dozens of planes into a nuclear plant and it won't do a darn thing.

Having read up on CSP I still don't believe it is feasible until more research has been done to make it more efficient. The solar panel technology itself is not up to scratch. It is also, as you said, a dream to think of a multi-continent power grid in this political climate. Alot of people have also ignored the fact that by the time the power from Norway gets to France, let alone America or Australia, it will be just about useless.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 10:52
I don't see how it could be useless. DO you know how electricity grids work?

Victor Hugo
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 11:50
Originally posted by Denis

I don't see how it could be useless. DO you know how electricity grids work?

Power is lost during transmission. This is what I think he means by calling it useless. He is claiming that a power line of that length will lose too much power to be effective.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 14:43

Small issue - you can fly dozens of planes into a nuclear plant and it won't do a darn thing.

Having read up on CSP I still don't believe it is feasible until more research has been done to make it more efficient. The solar panel technology itself is not up to scratch. It is also, as you said, a dream to think of a multi-continent power grid in this political climate. Alot of people have also ignored the fact that by the time the power from Norway gets to France, let alone America or Australia, it will be just about useless.

Actually, multinational electrical power has been shared for decades. Nothing new here. As long as there are enough voltages stepped up by a transformer the distance travelled can be roughly 7000 kilometers.

Edited by Seko - 19-Feb-2007 at 14:47
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 18:36
The easiest short-term fix is to cut back on consumption.  The technology is already here.  In many cases it just requires just a small amount of investment as it is actually more cost effective in the long term.  People are naturally slow to embrace new technology.  Enact some legislation to encourage it.

read this link:
"To obtain in one year the amount of energy contained in one cubic mile of oil, each year for 50 years we would need to have produced the numbers of dams, nuclear power plants, coal plants, windmills, or solar panels"

We use approximately 1 cubic mile of oil per year.  Its equivalent replacement in alternative energy:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 21:01
I am aware power has been exported for some time, but this is a highly inefficient process with much signal loss. In addition, the problem of "dirty power" occurs, which can cause problems in alot of appliances, especially computers.

Looking at that "alertnative energy" diagram I would say that nuclear power is the most environmentally friendly option.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 06:53

I'm also noticing a trend. You seem to be suffering from a chronic short-sightedness, constantly focused on short term satisfaction with little or no care for any future effects at all. If we would all follow your course, we will have poisioned our world into a uninhabitable dead rock within a couple of decades.

Fire, or pretty much any other source of energy including fossile fuel, water, wind and solar energy, does in absolutely no way have the possibility of making a significant portion of the earth uninhabitable for several centuries. Nuclear power does. Plenty of reason to go for any alternative what ever it is.

Nuclear power is not safe, it is not environmentally friendly, and although the price may be low the cost is higher than we can afford.

If we would build more nuclear power stations, the chances it will go wrong somewhere increases. Simple maths.
The fact that it already did go wrong in an American nuclear power plant proves that money, safety measures, regular maintenance and such does nothing to excude possible risks. If it can go wrong in America, it can go a lot worse in poor countries. The USSR won't have been the only country not to take safety and maintenance too seriously. Encouraging the building of Nuclear power plants is asking for more trouble.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 20-Feb-2007 at 07:00

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 07:27
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I'm also noticing a trend. You seem to be suffering from a chronic short-sightedness, constantly focused on short term satisfaction with little or no care for any future effects at all. If we would all follow your course, we will have poisioned our world into a uninhabitable dead rock within a couple of decades.

Fire, or pretty much any other source of energy including fossile fuel, water, wind and solar energy, does in absolutely no way have the possibility of making a significant portion of the earth uninhabitable for several centuries. Nuclear power does. Plenty of reason to go for any alternative what ever it is.

Nuclear power is not safe, it is not environmentally friendly, and although the price may be low the cost is higher than we can afford.

If we would build more nuclear power stations, the chances it will go wrong somewhere increases. Simple maths.
The fact that it already did go wrong in an American nuclear power plant proves that money, safety measures, regular maintenance and such does nothing to excude possible risks. If it can go wrong in America, it can go a lot worse in poor countries. The USSR won't have been the only country not to take safety and maintenance too seriously. Encouraging the building of Nuclear power plants is asking for more trouble.

Wow, you really have been affected by the propaganda. Nuclear waste, properly disposed of, does not make any area of the Earth uninhabitable. You accuse me of being short-sighted, when you just said that fossil fuels don't make areas uninhabitable. If we're not careful they'll make the whole Earth uninhabitable.

Nuclear Power IS much safer than just about any power source around. Do you know how many people have died from coal mining? In accidents at coal plants? Alot more than died in Chernobyl and all Uranium mining combined. Thousands of people have died in dam construction around the world.

Nuclear Power is also alot more environmentally friendly than coal, or oil or even gas power. In many ways its also alot more environmentally friendly than hydro-electric, which disrupts the eco-system and water cycle significantly. The amount of waste produced by a nuclear reactor is miniscule when compared to that of a coal power plant, and oil is even worse.

The One Mile Island incident is damn good proof that modern nuclear power is safe. The incompetent workers did EVERYTHING wrong, and the system itself still easily averted disaster. If you can come up with a practical alternative which won't polute the atmosphere beyond breathability, please tell me.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 08:31
I think he was talking about the effects a nuclear fallout has on farmland, not on nuclear waste itself.

Victor Hugo
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 08:33
Solar energy, as pointed out above, wind energy, earth-warmth systems, etc. There are plenty.

Congrats, Not only have you managed to completely and utterly miss my point, you also contradict yourself in other posts in your haste to talk yourself out of your mistakes.
I could go further on this, but you wouldn't get it anyway, and I have far better things to spend my time on than you.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 20-Feb-2007 at 08:45

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 08:35
Originally posted by Denis

I think he was talking about the effects a nuclear fallout has on farmland, not on nuclear waste itself.

Thanx denis, you're right. But I have wasted enough effort on this.
BTW I'm a she.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 09:13

Solar energy, as pointed out above, wind energy, earth-warmth systems, etc. There are plenty.

Congrats, Not only have you managed to completely and utterly miss my point, you also contradict yourself in other posts in your haste to talk yourself out of your mistakes.
I could go further on this, but you wouldn't get it anyway, and I have far better things to spend my time on than you.

Cop out.

Regardless, I have already said "earth-warmth" systems are useful. However these systems can only be used in some areas of the world. The majority are not suitable. Solar and wind energy ARE NOT VIABLE. Just the land costs to build them are enormous, and they don't even produce enough energy to pay for their own construction.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 09:55

Cop out.

Regardless, I have already said "earth-warmth" systems are useful. However these systems can only be used in some areas of the world. The majority are not suitable. Solar and wind energy ARE NOT VIABLE. Just the land costs to build them are enormous, and they don't even produce enough energy to pay for their own construction.

Land prices in the Sahara are hardly steep. And the land prices in the atlantic ocean... No-one is idiotic enough to suggest building wave or solar farms in high land value areas. Places like the Sahara and the Eastern Atlantic ocean have a very small 'value' affixed to them.

Aelgifu:

I usually assume that someone is male when they are on a message board before they post otherwise. Don't know why that is! (Maybe a higher proportion of men use messageboards, I dunno)

Victor Hugo
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 10:47
 Control measures limit industrial and agricultural activities reducing the range of products the area was able to export. This would have lead to a fall in local incomes. Furthermore reduced investment occurs due to a perception of an unsafe lifestyle within affected areas.

Following the accident 116,000 people had to be evacuated and between 1990 and 1995 an additional 210,000 people were resettled.  This created a need to build a new town named Slavutich for the personnel of the Chernobyl power plant.

Villages had to be decontaminated and major work had to be carried out on infrastructure for example water and gas. The closure of Reactor 4 and the freeze on construction of new reactors reduced the availability of electricity supplies.

Demographic indications in 'contaminated' areas suggest that these areas are experiencing a decline as:

o       The birth rate has decreased

o       The work force has migrated from contaminated areas to uncontaminated areas thus in turn resulting in a shortage of labour and professional staff.

The effected areas suffered major disruption to normal life and economic activity in particular with regard to agriculture and forestry production.

$12.8 Billon of disruption occurred to the Soviet Economy.

A victim mentality has occurred in the area due restrictions of activities making life difficult and unsettling.

The official death toll of Chernobyl is put at 42, no one believes that, scientists and other European authorities place it at about 3,000, from date of accident to one year later.

The "Dead Zone" surrounding the area is 50kms in radius, this will not be inhabitable for 600 years.

When you have a fire or other accident at a fossil fuel power plant, you put the fire out, repair the damage and it's over.  With nuke it's permanent. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 10:50

Of course endorse the development of alternative sorces of energy, but unless our behaviour as a race changes, then alternative sources will not be enough to cover ouf increasing energy needs. 

I think everyone can agree on that.

BUT, I still think that nuclear energy cannot be disregarded as an option. What if CSP is not viable, after all it is hypothetical on the scale that is required..What other option will we have? I don't want a nuclear reactor near me or my kids in the future, but if we don't want to change our behaviour, then we may have to change our energy sources.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>