Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Undeclared final war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undeclared final war
    Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 11:23
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Denis nuclear power is NOT dangerous. The life expectancy of a worker in a coal power plant is alot shorter than one in a nuclear plant. You can fly a plane into a power plant, which is effectively a giant block of concrete and lead. It won't to squat. You can walk into a nuclear reactor and try you hardest to cause a nuclear meltdown and you wouldn't be able to succeed as the computer would stop you.

It is also far from economically inefficient. Alot less uranium has to be mined to fuel a nuclear reactor than coal for a coal power plant. Contrary to popular opinion, building a nuclear reactor is not even particularly difficult.

The nuclear waste issue is easily dealt with in the short term. Storage devices that can hold waste for thousands of years have been developed, and a sea-based launch platform could easily deposit our waste in deep-space. In the long term we can make the space-deposit system more effective or develop a way to neutralise the waste more quickly (accelerate decay).

In addition solar power is basically useless as-is. It takes HUGE amounts of space to create the equivalent output from one coal station. Research needs to be done to make it as efficient as it has the potential to be. Also, you can't exactly "export" electricity except to close neighbours as flow is lost over distances rather rapidly.

So you defend one of the major flaws of nuclear power by declaring we can simply blast it into outter space from a platform Big%20smileLOL, I agree totally
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 11:54
Pretty much all of life's problems can be solved with high explosives. Big%20smile
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 12:12

In addition solar power is basically useless as-is. It takes HUGE amounts of space to create the equivalent output from one coal station. Research needs to be done to make it as efficient as it has the potential to be. Also, you can't exactly "export" electricity except to close neighbours as flow is lost over distances rather rapidly.

Actually, if you read that article it would take roughly 0.5% of the worlds desert to supply us (IE, Europe) with electricity if the appropriate technology was developed. You cannot argue that Nuclear power is safer than solar power though... Personally i don't care if it takes more space than a Nuclear power plant, its proven fact that living in relatively close proximity to a Nuclear power plant is bad for your health. There is a small seaside town near Dundalk over the sea from Sellafield Nuclear station that is a polluted mess. last time I was there, when I was about eleven there were lifeguards standing around telling the kids not to swim in the water because it was particularly manky that day. Thats just one little piece of anecdotal evidence but its an example of the widespread ecological disasters Nuclear power plants cause meaning the amount of space they take up becomes an irrelevance.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 15:52

Actually, if you read that article it would take roughly 0.5% of the worlds desert to supply us (IE, Europe) with electricity if the appropriate technology was developed.

Okay, so we take .5% of the worlds deserts, now we have to make sure the solar panels are protected from sandstorms, and we have to repair the scratched panels that won't work at optimum efficiency, then we have to house repair people who have to live near these god forsaken parts of the world. This requires an impressive highway system (to get to the solar panels) that must be maintained (good luck preventing desertification). Then you need to have an excellent supply transport so that these repairmen don't get stranded in the desert due to warfare or such, you think the US wants all it's power stranded in the Sahara or something? I thought thats what we're trying to get rid of. Besides thats at our current level of power use, power usage has shown to be increasing rapidly and will double at a high pace, so in say 200 years we'll need to cover 100 % of all deserts. Granted nuclear power suffers from this same problem but it can create much more power in a far smaller space.

You cannot argue that Nuclear power is safer than solar power though.

Certainly can't but if energy production was based on safety measures there would be no coal mines or natural gas stations in the Gulf of Mexico. It's based on profit and morality has very little to do with it. Solar power has a huge investment for not so much profit (I mean you think a nations going to give its land for free? Rent costs money and unless you want to nationalize the electric supply industry solar power just isn't profitable.)

Personally i don't care if it takes more space than a Nuclear power plant, its proven fact that living in relatively close proximity to a Nuclear power plant is bad for your health.

Then here's a solution, don't live next to a nuclear power plant, declare the area a "no-entrance" area, like a high-level security military base, fences don't always keep people out, they tell people they don't want to come in as well.

Thats just one little piece of anecdotal evidence but its an example of the widespread ecological disasters Nuclear power plants cause meaning the amount of space they take up becomes an irrelevance.

Then regulate where nuclear power plants go, personally I don't want a nuclear power plant anywhere near an open system like a river or lake. They can remain set aside using a closed coolant system, which some do utilize.

So you defend one of the major flaws of nuclear power by declaring we can simply blast it into outter space from a platform Big%20smileLOL, I agree totally

Unfortunately this is unlikely as it costs $20,000 per pound to ship something into space, and until we get a space elevator (which would bring costs to $400 a pound) I think sending it into the earth is the best bet. (Not underground, but down into molten fissures since theirs all ready radiation from the earths core there.)
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 21:54
True blasting into space is expensive, but people get upset when you bury things LOL
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 07:10
Why is everyone ignoring the fact that uranium is in fact a finite resource like oil, gas or coal? yes, low grade ore can be used instead of uranium to power electricity but that eventually means that the effect it has on the environment is damn near identical to the effects of burning fossil fuels.

And of course the deserts will be expensive to build on; so are Nuclear power plants. The average Nuclear power plant costs around 2 billion sterling to build! Talk about hearing what you want to hear. On the scale of things, solar power would be both cheaper, more efficient and better for the environment. Plus the sun is a non-finite energy source.

I've also been hearing some good things about recent development of tidal energy sources. Throwing all the eggs in one basket is a bad idea but the reality is that reknewables can supply most of (If not all) of our energy needs. If there is one thing we can be sure of in this world then it is the possibility of non-intentional human error. I'm not prepared to take a chance with a nuclear power plant which potentially has the ability to kill thousands.

Edited by Denis - 15-Feb-2007 at 07:19

Victor Hugo
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 07:15
And another thing:

Originally posted by That guardian article that no-one bothered reading

The outlook is not promising. More than 30 countries last week agreed to spend 7bn on an experimental fusion reactor in France which critics say will not produce any electricity for 50 years, if at all.

That amount of money would provide a lot of CSP power, a proven, working and simple technology that would work now, not in 2056.

Why is there such a fear of investing in reknewables? It is proven that the CSP technology can and will work. The only thing holding us back is politics and the establishment seems to have an agenda on mind to build nuclear power plants when all rationale points against it.

Victor Hugo
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 07:37

Denis nuclear power is NOT dangerous. The life expectancy of a worker in a coal power plant is alot shorter than one in a nuclear plant. You can fly a plane into a power plant, which is effectively a giant block of concrete and lead. It won't to squat. You can walk into a nuclear reactor and try you hardest to cause a nuclear meltdown and you wouldn't be able to succeed as the computer would stop you.

As I think you are too young to remember Tchernobyl, I can see where your ignorance comes from. I would however very much advise you to do a little more research before making such silly remarks.
If nothing else it would be respectful to the estimated 600.000 people who have been contaminated with radiation, 4000 of which died or will die of cancer because of the disaster. (this is the absolute lowest estimation, other numbers up to as much as 60.000 are cosidered possible)  

And the way things went, this was the good case scenario. The bad case scenario would have killed off half of Europe and make the whole of Eastern Europe uninhabitable.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 15-Feb-2007 at 07:46

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 12:06
Moved to Current Affairs.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 12:29

And the way things went, this was the good case scenario. The bad case scenario would have killed off half of Europe and make the whole of Eastern Europe uninhabitable.

True, but the best case scenario is Three Mile Island, where a near meltdown was averted before the shielding went bad thanks to good information.

The soviets at chernobyl at all kinds of separate problems that contributed to the meltdown. First they were taxing the system to the limits because a nearby city requested more power and another reactor nearby was offline. Then at the time of the incident they were understaffed. Also there was faulty instrumentation that was giving incorrect readings to the manager of the plant. (These readings would have been contradicted by other readings that no one saw because of the understaffing.)

Mind you nuclear power isn't safe, it's just cheap and reliable as an energy source.

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that uranium is in fact a finite resource like oil, gas or coal?

Yes it is, but the amount of nuclear power plants you can have is also a finite resource, and it takes years upon years to "burn out" uranium rods. So we'll have enough uranium to power the world for a thousand years, or until our civilization starts harnessing another form of energy we don't know about.

And of course the deserts will be expensive to build on; so are Nuclear power plants. The average Nuclear power plant costs around 2 billion sterling to build!

That's initial costs, and not at all expensive when you consider coal and natural gas plants, as well as renewable energy plants and infrastructure.

Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 17:01
A thousand years is a slightly optimistic projection.

Victor Hugo
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 19:31
The sun is a finite resource, strictly speaking.

There is no evidence to say that Dundalk is a more unsafe place to live than anywhere else in Ireland, just a statistic that states instances of cancer are higher there, with no link to Sellafield and could be due to a plethora of factors.

I am too young to remember Chernobyll also, but I can study it like anybody else. It was the exception to the rule as it was built and maintained horrendously up to the eventual meltdown itself. Countries like Britain and Germany and France all use nuclear power extensively and safely up to the present day.

The figures regarding Chernobyll are disparate to say the least. Less than 60 people can directly contribute their deaths to the disaster,and these people were the cleanup operators exposed to ridiculous amounts of radiation. And modern surveys of the land area around the reactor have found abundant flora and fauna there as well.

We just can't keep telling ourselves that renewable sources will cover all of our energy needs. Of course develop them and harness them, but because of our present and growing reliance on energy, we need a realistic solution, at least until we stop using the levels of energy we presently are guilty of, something that will not happen today or tomorrow, or even in the near future.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 23:05
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

As I think you are too young to remember Tchernobyl, I can see where your ignorance comes from. I would however very much advise you to do a little more research before making such silly remarks.
If nothing else it would be respectful to the estimated 600.000 people who have been contaminated with radiation, 4000 of which died or will die of cancer because of the disaster. (this is the absolute lowest estimation, other numbers up to as much as 60.000 are cosidered possible)  

Actually I have studied nuclear power quite significantly. Chernobyl was over 2decades ago, with inferior technology and hopeless workers. A better example of nuclear power is One Mile Island. Here the inept plant workers did everything they could possibly do wrong, and the safety systems in the technology still averted a meltdown. Since then the technology has progressed even further. Perhaps you should have done a little research in the last 20 years.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 07:01
Have you even looked into the possibility of CSP Emmet? Its safer and a technology that works now. There are flagship projects going on in California as we speak. Its time we got a little cooperation from the powers that be to stop spending f**k all on solar and seriously look at developing the CSP. If it doesn't work like the scientists say it won't I'll support Nuclear because there will be no other choice. other than that, I support the CSP.

Victor Hugo
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 07:34
we'll be talking about cold fusion next
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 03:48

we'll be talking about cold fusion next

Yea, but we might as well be talking about cures for cancer and rocket cars and cities on the moon. Cold fusion doesn't exist right now, and although it would be a better alternative, it isn't feasible with current manufacturing processes, fission reactors are and I think they are the best choice taking all the pros and cons.

Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 06:41
Have you even read the article Emmet? Perhaps you are afraid that there is an alternative for Nuclear Power out there and workable.

Victor Hugo
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 09:02
Why would one be afraid of that? If there's a PRACTICAL alternative which is as clean, then it's a good thing. However there's a difference between putting lots of money into research, and meeting the power needs of today.
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 13:20
The CSP can meet those power needs. Does no-one want to bother to refute the claims made in the article? I'm no scientist by any stretch of the imagination and genuinly would like to learn others opinion about the plans for the CSP.

Victor Hugo
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 10:02

Actually I have studied nuclear power quite significantly. Chernobyl was over 2decades ago, with inferior technology and hopeless workers. A better example of nuclear power is One Mile Island. Here the inept plant workers did everything they could possibly do wrong, and the safety systems in the technology still averted a meltdown. Since then the technology has progressed even further. Perhaps you should have done a little research in the last 20 years.

This is completely irrelevant. It is not at all about how big the possibility is it can go wrong, it is only about the fact that there always is a possibility it can go wrong. The consequences of a major disaster would be so big that even a fraction of a chance is still too big. The fact that on One Mile Island a disaster was averted sais nothing about the possibility for the next time to go as well.

Almost any disaster is a result of a number of factors in which more than one thing went fatally wrong. The knowledge that this is so did not lead to an end of freak disasters, so it is useless knowledge that Chernobyl was a freak accident.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>