Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hezbollah's defeat of Israel uncovered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hezbollah's defeat of Israel uncovered
    Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 03:58
Israel are too weak to finish the job and too strong to go down right away. One thing Arabs have traditionally been good at in their own homeland is attrition. Iraq is another example of that. Laurens and his Arabs inflicted the same on the Ottomans. It's a question of how long Israeli resources will last for. 
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 07:09
Sharma, without US support Israel wouldn't exist and we wouldn't have this terrible problem. Hezbollah achieved the majority of its objectives, while committing far fewer attrocities, in terms of scale and multitude, than Israel. No-one is entirely convinced the UN were making rude gestures at the IDF. :P

Oh, and certainly the children at Qana were actually terrorist midgets.. LOL

Edited by Zaitsev - 07-Nov-2006 at 07:10
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 07:38
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Sharma, without US support Israel wouldn't exist

And without their external support, Hizbolla would be nothing more than pure civilians fighting with kitchen knives & hand tools. Israels is a progressive state, hisbolla nothing more than a front for others.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 11:39
.So Israel bombed the city centre and the airport(!) becouse there were hizbolllah camps near the border of Lebanon-Israel????
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 04:49
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Thanks Cok Gec, for pointing out this incident.

What else you expect a state to do to an apartment complex that hides some terrorists & supports them. What else you expect from Israel when Rockets are fired from courtyards of Hospitals & schools ?

Another incident that proves the kind heart the IDF has. Also they definitely had no option but to bomb this residential area that hosted thirteen sleeping terrorists, including seven very dangerous potential-future-terrorists sleeping children.

Last Updated: Wednesday, 8 November 2006, 08:43 GMT
Israeli shelling kills 18 in Gaza
Slain youth brought to Beit Lahiya hospital
The dead and wounded were taken to hospital in Beit Lahiya
At least 18 Palestinians have been killed and 40 wounded by Israeli tank fire in the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanoun, Palestinian sources have said.

Palestinian officials said a barrage of tank shells hit civilian homes, and women and children were among the dead.

Israel has ordered the army to halt artillery attacks in the Gaza Strip and is investigating the incident.

Palestinian leaders have called for an emergency UN Security Council meeting to force Israel to stop its operations.

The Palestinian prime minister, Hamas's Ismail Haniya, denounced the Israeli attack as an "awful massacre" and said talks on forming Palestinian unity government would be suspended.

Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz ordered the halt in artillery attacks and called for an urgent inquiry into the incident.

Edited by ok ge - 08-Nov-2006 at 04:50
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:01
New Terrorism Prevention Techniques: Genocide
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 10:15
    This war was meant to be a pre-emptive strike by Israel to cripple Hizbollah and keep them from making a move first as Iranian agents.

I believe the real irony is that nobody won the war. Hizbollah had no support outside the shiai Lebaneese, and they certainly don't have any now they forced the country into a devastating war. Even before the war, It had become a criminal organization (note I'm not using the word'teroist') instead of a proper militia. They may have the support of the people, but they lost contact with it long time ago, and this "victory" will only amplify the process. In the long run, Hizbollah will lose.

And there was no great genius on the part of the Hizbollah in defeating the IDF. It was the arrogance of it's commanders and underestimating their enemy that brought on Israel's defeat. The main problem the IDF had in south Lebanon were Hizbollah's defensive positions, namely a large tunnel network. Had they continued hitting it for a few more weeks, they would have surely of penetrated that line and gotten to Litani river as they intended. If they had not underestimated Hizbollah, they would have had a real fighting plan and would not have had problems with intel, supply and lack of manpower. There will be a sequel to this war, and this time I'm betting on Israel.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 10:17

No, that is an
    old tehnique. I believe even Ghengis Khan had used it...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 15:03
Originally posted by Maljkovic

No, that is an
    old tehnique. I believe even Ghengis Khan had used it...

Good thought, but technically Genghis Khan did not use genocide in accordance to the definiton. I'm sure Zaitsev is aware of the antics of Genghis Khan regarding his so called 'terror tactics' which he implemented - rather than blunt genocide.
In saying this however, recently, the idea of using genocide as a terrorist prevention technique has all but vanished (save a few cultures). Therefore it can be regarded as a 'new' prevention technique; also because of the way in which we would undertake genocide nowadays - the political/social attitudes surrounding it.

Edited by Knights - 09-Nov-2006 at 05:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 00:54

This war was meant to be a pre-emptive strike by Israel to cripple Hizbollah and keep them from making a move first as Iranian agents.

I believe the real irony is that nobody won the war. Hizbollah had no support outside the shiai Lebaneese, and they certainly don't have any now they forced the country into a devastating war. Even before the war, It had become a criminal organization (note I'm not using the word'teroist') instead of a proper militia. They may have the support of the people, but they lost contact with it long time ago, and this "victory" will only amplify the process. In the long run, Hizbollah will lose.

And there was no great genius on the part of the Hizbollah in defeating the IDF. It was the arrogance of it's commanders and underestimating their enemy that brought on Israel's defeat. The main problem the IDF had in south Lebanon were Hizbollah's defensive positions, namely a large tunnel network. Had they continued hitting it for a few more weeks, they would have surely of penetrated that line and gotten to Litani river as they intended. If they had not underestimated Hizbollah, they would have had a real fighting plan and would not have had problems with intel, supply and lack of manpower. There will be a sequel to this war, and this time I'm betting on Israel.

The first paragraph there is nothing but an excuse, which has absolutely no grounding in reality.

The second paragraph is also flawed beyond belief. Hezbollah did not force the country to war, Israel did. To say it had become a criminal organisation with no contact before the war is just foolish. Hezbollah were popular with the people as they built schools, mosques and other community buildings, not to mention helping repair from the previous occupation. Before the war they had a support of just over 50%. Several independent surveys were conducted toward the end of the war, all of which suggested Hezbollah support had risen above 90% due to Israel's attocities. To say they have lost support is simply nonsense.

The IDF WOULD have gotten to the river indeed. Then what? They would slowly but surely get slaughtered at the hands of Hezbollah troops who became extremely efficient in taking down IDF armour and in the hit and run tactics that allowed them to have a very good kill to death ratio. The IDF surely under-estimated the enemy, but that statement alone means the enemy had to surpass expectations.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 06:11

The IDF WOULD have gotten to the river indeed. Then what? They would slowly but surely get slaughtered at the hands of Hezbollah troops who became extremely efficient in taking down IDF armour and in the hit and run tactics that allowed them to have a very good kill to death ratio. The IDF surely under-estimated the enemy, but that statement alone means the enemy had to surpass expectations.

No i dont think so. Hezbollah cant slauhter IDF soldiers. Ok maybe they could stop them but they cant wipe out them. They dont have efficient weapons against Israel airforce.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 06:26
Guys I am in side of Israel. I have personel reasons for it and i do not want to write them here becouse it may violate some of the rules/laws of the forum.

But one this frustrated me so much that, Israel attached Lebanon and Lebanon did did not even react except some field guerilla fighters called Hezbollah. I mean, wasnt there enough arabs in Lebanon or didnt they have army to rise and fight as a man? what was the reason? Like, I personally believe that if someone attacks to may country with any reason, not depending on Politics or Economics or whatever it is, I would go and fight. I believe that Lebanon government didnt have any courage to do that.

Thank You.

Respectfully Nijat Garayev 
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 07:29
Originally posted by erkut

No i dont think so. Hezbollah cant slauhter IDF soldiers. Ok maybe they could stop them but they cant wipe out them. They dont have efficient weapons against Israel airforce.
Some parts of that war they did get slammed. i am dam sure that body count would of been very high has Isreal really pushed hard into lebanon. Isreal is too small to put up with such preventable death.

isreali planes were not effecient weapons agianst hezbillah either. Its a army-guerrilla stalemate that should be avoided as much as possible. hezbollah cannot outrightly defeat isreal but isreal cant outrightly defeat hezbollah; not unless it actually systematically kills off the population that support it or basically level lebanon. If Isreal cant outrightly militarily defeat them in any other way then Isreal risks being defeated politically.

If it goes hard on the lebanese that would put them in a position of total war with at least all of lebanon +  Iran/Syria and lose even more international credibility and support.

This war has already lost them a potential future ally in lebanon which was going through its own pro-syrian vs anti-syrian battle. So we now have a case of the military option being the most costly for isreal and the one with the most risks, once upon a time it was the easiy option. Isreal needs to change with the times -  people have learnt to fight it well and have a case to be heard.

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Nov-2006 at 07:31
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 09:54

The first paragraph there is nothing but an excuse, which has absolutely no grounding in reality.The second paragraph is also flawed beyond belief. Hezbollah did not force the country to war, Israel did. To say it had become a criminal organisation with no contact before the war is just foolish. Hezbollah were popular with the people as they built schools, mosques and other community buildings, not to mention helping repair from the previous occupation. Before the war they had a support of just over 50%. Several independent surveys were conducted toward the end of the war, all of which suggested Hezbollah support had risen above 90% due to Israel's attocities. To say they have lost support is simply nonsense.The IDF WOULD have gotten to the river indeed. Then what? They would slowly but surely get slaughtered at the hands of Hezbollah troops who became extremely efficient in taking down IDF armour and in the hit and run tactics that allowed them to have a very good kill to death ratio. The IDF surely under-estimated the enemy, but that statement alone means the enemy had to surpass expectations.

No, the first paragraph is the real reason, the kidnapped soldiers were the excuse.

I'm sure that to the end of the war they had higher support. That's logical-the winner is always more popular than the loser. But with the war over, Lebanon will face a simple fact: Israel has left, Hizbollah has stayed. Hizbollah means Syria, and Syria means more trouble for Lebanon than Israel could ever be.

Edited by Maljkovic - 09-Nov-2006 at 09:56
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 05:32
Here is some battle footage... Interesting stuff.

Three Merkavas being obliterated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkwPKPD0Zf0

They look pretty elite, here they are in combat ending with the capture of IDF fighters and Lebanese traitors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIDLLFg9-c&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p88GAnDZoY&mode=related&search=

So much for hiding behind civilians! This was real conventional warfare - Israel took a thrashing out int eh open field, no doubt about it.

Edited by Zagros - 25-Nov-2006 at 05:37
rock strongo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rock strongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 09:23

So what if Hezbollah won?  It changes absolutely nothing.  The state of Israel still exists, and Palestinians still don't have a homeland and never, ever, ever, ever will.

Hezbollah dug in nicely over a period of years and was able to withstand Israel.  Here's a quote, "The "target stretching" escalated throughout the conflict; frustrated by their inability to identify and destroy major Hezbollah military assets, the IAF began targeting schools, community centers and mosques under the belief that their inability to identify and interdict Hezbollah bunkers signaled Hezbollah's willingness to hide their major assets inside civilian centers."  I sure want those Hezbollah guys protecting me and my family.  Their best interests would mesh nicely with mine.  I guess its an honor to get killed in such a manner to be a statistic and photo op for faith though..My son was martyred, enjoy your virgins son, gosh willing I'll be there soon too if I can just become an innocent bystander...

My comdedy routine aside, the article points out the Israel gets US leftovers.  Do you really think that Israel would lose a war with the US "A" game weapons?  Israel would nuke its neighbors anyway to spite its face if it has to.

I like how you've pointed out what amounts to a meaningless conflict in the global scheme of things.  The US could take out the entire rathole of the middle east if they felt like it.  Believe it!  Its only one stupid terrorist action away from happening and then all those yahoos will be martyrs leaving the world of the living to more rational peoples.

Iran, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon are worth absolutely nothing to the world past the availability of their oil reserves.  What's going to happen when another power besides fossil fuels runs the US and Europe?  Do you think the Chinese and the Russians will be as kind to the Middle East as the horrible Americans?  Surely not..
Alcohol and night swimming, its a winning combination.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 10:58
Nice rant, but completely irrelevant. Though I'll humour it:

Hezbollah employed better tactics and had better soldiers than the IDF, that is all they had. All of their weapons caches are deep underground in the hills. they even have dummy bunkers that they made sure the spies of their enemies would see constructed and thus and wastefully bomb.

FYI: Syria and Lebanon have no oil reserves to speak of. so obviously they have some other worth, perhaps the fact that they are among the only countries who can humiliate this brash, clumsy and idiotic American administration. That certainly has a lot of worth and the majority of people from the lesser nations in the world, from South America to Asia and Africa really get a good kick out of that. And that is not to mention a whole lot in the West.

That aside, I really do think China and Russia would not be as bad. I mean so far as I know they have not proliferated WMD to the region, invaded nor harrassed any nation, brought down any democracies, at least within the last 60 years - supported tyrants? Well, who doesn't?

Soon US imperialism will be shaken from the region and all of its puppets and protectorates will cave in, and what will rise will not be pretty...

Edited by Zagros - 28-Nov-2006 at 11:00
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 12:44
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

Guys I am in side of Israel. I have personel reasons for it and i do not want to write them here becouse it may violate some of the rules/laws of the forum.

But one this frustrated me so much that, Israel attached Lebanon and Lebanon did did not even react except some field guerilla fighters called Hezbollah. I mean, wasnt there enough arabs in Lebanon or didnt they have army to rise and fight as a man? what was the reason? Like, I personally believe that if someone attacks to may country with any reason, not depending on Politics or Economics or whatever it is, I would go and fight. I believe that Lebanon government didnt have any courage to do that.

Thank You.

Respectfully Nijat Garayev 

It was fighting based on 'interest groups' and not on national basis. Majority christians did not feel their interests were threatened and therefore did not care. Some felt lebanese before christian or shia and supported the hizbollah efforts. Some Sunnis and druze were also watching on the sidelines, contently watching and hoping for Hizbollah to be politically and militarily weakened.

Some were least inclined to fight, because of the equation->Israeli military= USA+Israel might.
rock strongo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rock strongo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 13:58
I knew I could get you to talk the terrorist talk.  What's that sound you guys make before you smite the infidel?  My friends and I were wondering. 

I never liked Bush and didn't vote for him.  I think he invaded Iraq to save his failed presidency during the recession.  I guess they found a bunch of goats there though.  We can probably agree on that.

Everyone hates the US, I know.  IF Palestine hadn't sided with the Germans in two world wars they'd probably have a country today, BUT to the victors go the spoils.

What is the ugly thing that will rise?  Unless its a weapon made of camel feces I'm not worried.

Goodluck with your terrorism thing, I like most Americans won't be caring in the least about middle eastern problems tonight.  One stupid act on American soil again is all it will take and the whole US monster will be unleashed on the goats and sand area.

Alcohol and night swimming, its a winning combination.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 17:18
By whom? And by what means?
 By the roughly 2,000,000-strong higly trained but volunteer US military? We're already up to our asses in sh*t in Iraq and it's not getting any better. The army is already way OVERCOMITTED with no other global capability as long as it has to maintain 2/3 of its front line units in the sh*thole of Iraq ('scuse my 'french").
     The Army National Guard is running itself into the ground. Longer tour of duties increase strains on our Guardsmen/women, sap morale, increase casualties. Furthermore, upon arrival back home Guard units demobilize and everyone goes home, meeting again on the required one weekend a month to train. Thus all the expertise won at the front line and in close combat with the enemy remains under-utilized. The Guard is clearly not cut for long wars.
    The VA is in dire straits to provide care for increasing numbers of veterans in need of medical AND psychological care. Once admitted, our veterans do receive great care indeed, administered by some of the best personnel and with some of the best technology on Earth; but the waiting process is very long, sometimes up to 6-8 months. Results in the treatment of PTSD are unsatisfactory as well. Most veterans get very little out of counseling and continue to have things like reccuring nightmares. In my oppinion VA is not cut to deal with long lists of casualties.
    Nothing or anyone in this country is cut for a long war, regardless of the macho talk on a big part of the populaceWink. The political system is ripe with special interests and contribution money that really define foreign policy. We are having in effect a representational oligarchy, dominated by the interests of the big corporations. These interest are NOT parallel to the interests of the nation and the empire. Bush did not invade Iraq in a bid for reelection; he invaded Iraq because Bechtel, Halliburton, Exxon/Mobil and the myriad lesser groups he represents told him to do so. And that's why our boys and girls are dying and getting maimed as I'm typing these words over there right now and it's a f**kin' SHAME AND A DISGRACE.
    Noone even gives a sh*t amongst the population either. We're yelling big words and shaking our fists in the air but who is going to fight these wars? Have you looked at the urban cituation in the US today? All I see is dissafected youth trying to walk straight with their pants down on their knees and in search for the quick buck just like everyone else. Where are the values of civic pride, honor, and patriotism that carry western nations in times of war? Who's gonna give a sh*t and go fight a war in a society were people get shot at schools by their schoolmates, others get mugged while waiting in line to buy PS3, and making money is the predominant value replacing family, nation, and honor?
    The "system" is rotten, my friend, and needs massive overhaul. If we decide we want to run world empires, serious repairs are needed. I'm afraid that the limitations set by our constitutionalism and the apathy of the public would bar any effort to an attempt for serious change. So, it's better to call it a day, go home, and return to the traditional isolationism of this country.Noone is really ready to bear the burden. We're  too soft and consumeristic, too weak to fight. Empires are serious bussiness and running them properly is something the West has had  in her blood since ancient times. Ain't an easy job, though and it takes a WHOLE nation and proper leaders, clean from corporate--and other-- $$$ and interests that result in a biased foreign policy. Military values and honor must become part of the pride of this nation which so far consists of fat people driving F-350's with "Power of Pride" bumper stickers on them. Where has it happened before that the C-in-C who leads to war is himself a coward who went AWOL when his turn to serve came up? What Roman legion would've stood for such nonsense? Or the fact that there is only ONE member of Congress with a son/daughter in the military? Why, in a properly run Empire political appointment is the RESULT of military service, not the other way around!

" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>