Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the oldest Turkic commander

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the oldest Turkic commander
    Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 17:38
As im really interested in Turkish history please tell me who was the oldest turkish commander ever commanding on the battlefield.

Regards
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 18:36
i think it would be a chinese name, sorry really i once heard of an 1000 bc (or older) xiongnu commander or khagan's name in chinese. Chinese is somewhat difficult, strange and hard to remember it. 
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 19:07
The oldest Turkic commander had chinese name?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 20:11
Mos, I don't think he had a Chinese name (BTW, I have absolutely NO idea who he was). He unquestionably had a Turkish name. However, written records of him could probably only be found in historical Chinese documents. This is in fact the case with a lot of the neighbouring cultural/ethnic groups surrounding China because these groups did not have a literary history as strong as that of China.

So his name would be a Chinese rendering of his Turkish name.   
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 20:55
Originally posted by flyingzone

So his name would be a Chinese rendering of his Turkish name.   
correct.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 09:04

Not necesseraly there is only Chinese documents to refer. There are Turkic legends. Alp Er Tunga (might be the same person Efresiyap as mentioned in Iranic legends) might be the first Turkic leader. Tuman Tengriqut (the first Hun leader) might also be considered as the first greatest ruler.
Either make a history or become a history.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 11:45
Originally posted by barbar

Not necesseraly there is only Chinese documents to refer. There are Turkic legends. Alp Er Tunga (might be the same person Efresiyap as mentioned in Iranic legends) might be the first Turkic leader. Tuman Tengriqut (the first Hun leader) might also be considered as the first greatest ruler.
yea but it isnt confirmed that Alp Er Tunga may an Scythian king or something, so legends doesnt count as a solid proof rather then written documents (most highly by chinese).
MING-LOYALIST View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MING-LOYALIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 21:50
Afuzhiluo (阿伏至罗).
He led the Gaoche people from baikal region to xinjiang fleeing from Rouran domination in 487AD.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 07:33

why is bumin khan also called tuman by the chinese?
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 10:11
Originally posted by DayI

yea but it isnt confirmed that Alp Er Tunga may an Scythian king or something, so legends doesnt count as a solid proof rather then written documents (most highly by chinese).
saka's were Trk,First exemple of Trk Sagu's(ağıt) was written by sakas to Alper Tunga's death...(after b.c 600's)

first paragraph

@divan-i lugatit Trk             @Trkiye Trkish

Alp Er Tunga ldi m               Alp er Tunga ld m?

Isız acun kaldı mu                   Issız acun kaldı mı?

zlek in aldı mu                   dlek cn aldı mı?

Emdi yrek yırtılur                   Şimdi yrek yırtılır....

b.c 600's and a.c 2006...We're still keeping our language...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 10:16

No, "Turki tillar divani" was writen in 11 century AD. The poem as this linguistical form can have a little longer history, but never as early as 6 century BC.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 10:20
Originally posted by DayI

You know many writen documents are also based on the legends. Chinese systematical historical documents started from Hanshu. Simaqian also refered to many legends when he wrote about the earlier history.

Legends can't provide exact historical time period,but they are surely a very informative source about historical figures and deeds.

EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:14

No, "Turki tillar divani" was writen in 11 century AD. The poem as this linguistical form can have a little longer history, but never as early as 6 century BC.

more info please...But i think,this poem is based to old datums or something like Alp Er Tunga epic...i do not hinhk that this poem is written @11 A.D
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Tunga1980 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tunga1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2016 at 20:05
Modu Chanyu was the oldest in Chinese scripts 
Tunga1980 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tunga1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2016 at 20:07
By the way Modu Chanyu in Turkish is the equivalent to METEHAN

Edited by Tunga1980 - 05-Aug-2016 at 20:08
 Post Reply Post Reply