Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 38394041>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel
    Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 07:17
Originally posted by docyabut

Ok so why did the Palestinians kidnapped and firer rockets into Israel weeks earlier if  this was not  all planned  out already ?

actaully there has been accusations it was planned out before

"The US government was closely involved in planning the Israeli campaign in Lebanon, even before Hizbullah seized two Israeli soldiers in a cross border raids in July. American and Israeli officials met in the spring, discussing plans on how to tackle Hizbullah, according to a report published yesterday.

The veteran investigative journalist Seymour Hersh writes in the current issue of the New Yorker magazine that Israeli government officials travelled to the US in May to share plans for attacking Hizbullah.

Quoting a US government consultant, Hersh said: "Earlier this summer ... several Israeli officials visited Washington, separately, 'to get a green light for the bombing operation and to find out how much the United States would bear'."

The Israeli action, current and former government officials told Hersh, chimed with the Bush administration's desire to reduce the threat of possible Hizbullah retaliation against Israel should the US launch a military strike against Iran.

"A successful Israeli Air Force bombing campaign ... could ease Israel's security concerns and also serve as a prelude to a potential American pre-emptive attack to destroy Iran's nuclear installations," sources told Hersh.

Yesterday Mr Hersh told CNN: "July was a pretext for a major offensive that had been in the works for a long time. Israel's attack was going to be a model for the attack they really want to do. They really want to go after Iran."

An unnamed Pentagon consultant told Hersh: "It was our intention to have Hizbullah diminished and now we have someone else doing it."

Officials from the state department and the Pentagon denied the report. A spokesman for the National Security Council told Hersh that "The Israeli government gave no official in Washington any reason to believe that Israel was planning to attack."

Hersh has a track record in breaking major stories. He was the first to write about the abuses at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and has written extensively about the build-up to the war in Iraq. He made his name when he uncovered the massacre at My Lai during the Vietnam war. Most recently he has written about US plans for Iran, alleging that US special forces had already been active inside the country."link

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 07:19
Originally posted by bg_turk

Originally posted by Sparten

Of course it seems that Israel considers Arabs as second class citizens.

despicable

I also heard a report about the lack of air raid shelters for the arab israeli citizens,or is that propoganda. Can any one confirm this.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 07:33
Originally posted by erkut

Hezbollah is not the only terorist organiztion in Middle East.

isreal is not the only victim whats your point?

you fail to understand or ignore the fact: one organisation actions are not connected to the other, nor do they give isreal that jusification, you have failed in linking them and you lied with your pictures. hezbollah needs to earn such titles as "terrorist", what others have done dont earn it that title. get it? so try to string a sentance that moves beyond "us victims their bad" because (if you can*t* make the connection in any other way) you imply that being arab/muslim is what it takes.

So far no one has succesfully qualified why hezbollah are terrorist, without either showing doublel standards towards isreal's methods of war or relying on the fact they are bearded arab men. can anyone that knows what they are talking about take on that challenge

*edit

Edited by Leonidas - 16-Aug-2006 at 09:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 07:51

I can understand erkut's posts, being an Israeli and having recently been in a war, means that objectivity goes out of the window. That said, I cannot even begin to comprehend the motivation behind the post of some 'supporters" of Israel, even when presented with the facts.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 08:27
one is a religoius bigot that has wet dreams about crusades, if that helps.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 08:33
Originally posted by Leonidas

actaully there has been accusations it was planned out before

there was an extensive article on the BBC as well. It appears that Israel got the green light for the invasion and closely coordinated its plans with the Bush administration even before the two soldiers were abducted.

As I said before, only naives would believe that this invasion was just because of two soldiers. Something much deeper lied behind it.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 08:59
here is the original hersche article (newyorker)

and a interview from CNN

while being wrong in many other ways, my hunch that this was a strategic initiave is pretty close to the logic in his claims, it makes sense to me.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:24
Originally posted by bg_turk

there was an extensive article on the BBC as well. It appears that Israel got the green light for the invasion and closely coordinated its plans with the Bush administration even before the two soldiers were abducted.

As I said before, only naives would believe that this invasion was just because of two soldiers. Something much deeper lied behind it.

That's really shocking ! Not.

That  both the Israelis and their Palestinian enemies, and especially Hezbollah, are used by the Bush administration and its Islamic enemies (Iran, Syria) to fight a substitute war, to the expense of both the Palestinian and Israeli civilian population, is not exactly the news of the day.
I have the slight suspicion that the Iranian government wasn't kept in the dark by Hezbollah leaders about their intentions either.
Increasing demands for the delivery of katushjah ( or what ever they're called) rockets by the Hezbollah, should have given their allies a clue what was going to happen.

Edited by Komnenos - 16-Aug-2006 at 09:24
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:37

Katyusha. Surprised you do not know more about them.  The Wehrmacht called them, "Stalins's Organs".

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 11:20

Katyusha. Surprised you do not know more about them.  The Wehrmacht called them, "Stalins's Organs".

I'm not interested in what kinds of weapons people use, but in why they do it.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 14:37
Originally posted by Komnenos

That's really shocking ! Not.

That  both the Israelis and their Palestinian enemies, and especially Hezbollah, are used by the Bush administration and its Islamic enemies (Iran, Syria) to fight a substitute war, to the expense of both the Palestinian and Israeli civilian population, is not exactly the news of the day.
I have the slight suspicion that the Iranian government wasn't kept in the dark by Hezbollah leaders about their intentions either.
Increasing demands for the delivery of katushjah ( or what ever they're called) rockets by the Hezbollah, should have given their allies a clue what was going to happen.

Of course it is not shocking. It is obvious that there are close links between Israel and USA.
But it must have come as a shock to those naives who believed that Israel waged this invasion because of the two soldiers. The two soldiers were simply the pretext, not the reason.
For more info:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4792961.stm
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:10

So why did israel invade Lebnan in 1982? Becouse terorists were killing jews(İsraels London Ambasador for ex.) 

Do not mix everything to a summed group of terrorist north, south, west of Israel. If you have read about the conflict, you will know that Israel invaded Lebanon to kick out the PLO out of Lebanon. They succeeded, so why do they need to stay occuping south of Lebanon if the PLO was kicked out? If you read the New York Times article of Sabrina Tavernisa, you will be surprised that actually the Shiite welcomed first the Israelis to kick out the PLO because they grew tired of the conflict, but Israel decided to occupy the south with tons of camps that prisons civilians with all physical torture and abuses (ex. Al Khiam infamous camp). It look to me Israel is good at making only enemies.

So they start a war against Lebnan Cristians to take control of the land. Becouse they thougt if they got controll of Lebnan they could attack to İsrael.(But they destroyed the Lebnan and killed too many peopels, and they seperated the Lebnan)

Actually Lebanon civil war didn't start with the Palestinians. It is a very complex civil war that started with Leftist and Rightist dispute on Kamil Shamoun proposal to change the constitution to allow for re-election of the Maronite president. Palestinians came later in the conflict and of course with specific agenda to help one side in the conflict. Do you even know that Syria invaded Lebanon in 1976 to support the Christian Phallange militia and fought against the Palestinians especially in Tyre (Sidon)?

Anyhow, We are here to discuss about Hezbollah-Israel conflict. If you want to run a history of Israel, we can stretch it to the Canaanite times. Stay focus please.

And in 1948 both communuty had right to crate their states.(by the observation of UN)

I don't think anyone here disputed allowing Jewish living in Palestine. There has been always jews living in Palestine. The troubles only started when Jewish terrorist groups such as the Haganah made it clear they are looking to establish an Israeli state by force over all the Palestinians. I think it is completely natural for a group that will be neglected and forced to be under a Jewish state despite they formed the majority to fight back for their rights. Israel wanted a jewish majority and that is why they declared the state of Israel, expected Arabs intervention to ensure the rights of the Arab majority, took the chance and committed massacres and cleaned whole villages, hebce 700,000 Palestinians out as refugees. Of course they wont be back to their homes, because that will defeat the purpose of a Jewish majority in Israel. For those who remained inside Israel, till now, they are second class citizens. That is a fact, not an assumption.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:14

Originally posted by R_AK47

You don't need to apologize erkut for the war or the Lebanese deaths.

Truly disgusting to tell someone not to apologize for Lebanese deaths. Lebanese deaths is mostly civilian deaths (the vast majority). Not to feel sorry and apologize for those Lebanese killed is like considering them an inferior race.

Ok so why did the Palestinians kidnapped and firer rockets into Israel weeks earlier if  this was not  all planned  out already ?

I think we are not on the same page. I'm talking about Hezbollah and you switched to Palestinian resistance firing rockets and kidnapping the Israeli soldier?
Are you hinting that it is all planned and a consiperacy was between Palestinians and Hezbollah? Do you know Israel kindnapped civilian Gazans a doctor and his brother (actually there is always detention by IDF for all reasons) before the Israeli soldier was kidnapped? Did the Palestinians and Hezbollah cooperated too to have those Gazans kidnapped? Non-sense!

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:23
 US and Israel must have known that Iran had been supplying Hezbola with rockets and knew a attack would come soon. I can see now why  hezbola  claims victory even though they were the frist to attack, to try and stand up to Israel with their new weapons, however it sure was a waste of life.  I think some are right, it will happen again when they resupplied.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:25
Originally posted by malizai_

I also heard a report about the lack of air raid shelters for the arab israeli citizens,or is that propoganda. Can any one confirm this.
Yes, it is true. It should not be a surprising thing. This is a minor issue to what Israeli Arabs see as second class citizens.  Anyhow, it is not a propoganda. Many news site confirmed that from Aljazeera to even the Haaretz Israeli newspaper itself confirmed it:

The number of Arabs killed by Katyusha s is high, and not only because they make up half of the Galilee's population. There are not enough shelters in the Arab communities, but in addition many villagers seem to take a fatalistic approach.

There is no public bomb shelter in any of the Arab communities. Many residents stand in stairwells or cling to the walls during the air-raids. The Asadi family of Dir Assad goes into their reinforced room or the southern-facing stairwell.

Both quotes from Haaretz, source: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/746677.html
D.J. Kaufman
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:35
It was shown on  our media Arabs and Jews living in the same bomb shelters. Of course they were all argueing who was wrong in this war :)
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 17:10

It was shown on  our media Arabs and Jews living in the same bomb shelters. Of course they were all argueing who was wrong in this war :)

Looks like you had only half of the real picture. Wink 
D.J. Kaufman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 00:35
Originally posted by Komnenos

I'm not interested in what kinds of weapons people use, but in why they do it.
Thats just the point, Katyusha's are  a phycological weapon first. The rockets make a god awful sound as they come in, this sacred the hell out of Wehrmacht soldiers, and they had the same effect here. The Katyusha's killed what, 40 people, a suicide bomber who gets lucky can kill just as many, but the threat of the rockets sent a million israelis under ground.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 01:47
That  both the Israelis and their Palestinian enemies, and especially Hezbollah, are used by the Bush administration and its Islamic enemies (Iran, Syria) to fight a substitute war, to the expense of both the Palestinian and Israeli civilian population, is not exactly the news of the day.

Please Kom. Hezbullah have enough motivation to fight a war with Israel without needing any more from Iran or Syria. Claiming Iran or Syria got Hezbullah to fight Israel to get at america is just demonising them.

I can understand erkut's posts, being an Israeli and having recently been in a war, means that objectivity goes out of the window. That said, I cannot even begin to comprehend the motivation behind the post of some 'supporters" of Israel, even when presented with the facts.

Unless I'm completely mistaken. Erkut is a turk.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 06:51
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

That  both the Israelis and their Palestinian enemies, and especially Hezbollah, are used by the Bush administration and its Islamic enemies (Iran, Syria) to fight a substitute war, to the expense of both the Palestinian and Israeli civilian population, is not exactly the news of the day.

Please Kom. Hezbullah have enough motivation to fight a war with Israel without needing any more from Iran or Syria. Claiming Iran or Syria got Hezbullah to fight Israel to get at america is just demonising them.

Valid point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 38394041>