Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel
    Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 09:50
There's not really much to say about the most recent incursion into Lebanon, I'm sure no one's views of the conflict are going to change.

However... there is one curious thing about all this that I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on.

This is from a CNN report, but the quote appeared in many other stories, from Ehud Olmert:

"This morning there was an attack on civilians and soldiers in the north. At this moment there are Israeli security forces operating inside Lebanon," Olmert told reporters.

"The government will convene this evening for a special cabinet meeting. I want to make clear that the events this morning are not a terror attack but an operation of a sovereign state without any reason or provocation."

Did they really just say a Hezbollah attack wasn't a terrorist attack? You should have said, "I want to make up that..."

How can they just completely change their rhetoric to suit their own needs in this way, and the world doesn't blink?

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 09:55

Responding to the most recent incident along the Israel-Lebanon border, Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz said in a statement: "The State of Israel sees itself free to use all measures that it finds it needs and the (Israeli Forces) have been given orders in that direction.

"If the soldiers are not returned we will turn Lebanon's clock back 20 years," Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Dan Halutz to Israeli Channel 10.

---------------------

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert described the Hezbollah attacks as an "act of war" by Lebanon and promised a "very painful and far-reaching" response, The Associated Press reported.

---------------------

Argh... why even threaten such barbarity, much less actually carry it out? I'd remind Israel that "destruction not warranted to accomplish military objectives" is a serious war crime.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 11:20
An invasion of Israel in Lebanon can't be considered an 'act of war' against Syria (by the Syrians)?

Israel played its cards foolishly. Attacking the Palestinians is stupid, because the Palestinians are tough, and can hold a lot of bombardement. The kidnappers also are ruthless, I doubt they mind of the destruction they bring to their people. Also, Israel is seriously damaging its image to the world community, and also will have to stop at some point under the heavy international pressure.
It would be easier if Israel had liberated the missing soldiers with negotiations or with a successful special forces' operation.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 17:46
Is it not obvious that the kernel of this ongoing problem is the Syrian support of Hamas and of Hezbollah (yes money comes from Iran) both of which are sheltered in Damascus?

Xristar, Israel has not invaded Syria (not yet).  A resolution to the problem will not be realized before Syrian support for these outlaw groups is terminated.

Now how does one suppose that might be attained?

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 17:49
By sacrificing everything you stand for and doing to them exactly what you claim to be standing up against, only using a powerful and well-equipped army to do so. Refer to their victims, which always outnumber your by the thousands, as collateral damage and go on living a good life that is only intermittantly interrupted by terrorism while the lives of millions of others are controlled, every moment of every day, by your actions.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:01
Originally posted by Mila

By sacrificing everything you stand for and doing to them exactly what you claim to be standing up against, only using a powerful and well-equipped army to do so. Refer to their victims, which always outnumber your by the thousands, as collateral damage and go on living a good life that is only intermittantly interrupted by terrorism while the lives of millions of others are controlled, every moment of every day, by your actions.

Israeli officials have threatened to assassinate the leaders of Hamas.  The leaders of Hezbollah need to know they are on the same list.  There is not a doubt that Mossad could accomplish that a la "Munich."  If those people, why not the isolated, resourceless Assad family enterprise in Damascus.

Invasion and military regime change not necessarily needed.  Surely the eventuality, and occasion, have been discussed in Israel (and discussed with others as well). 

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:02
Israel had this policy since the times I opened by eyes on this troubled world. I'm sure many still remember the examples of Israel attacking Jordans airports and civilian structure when Palestinians attack from there. The idea is simple. Instead of Israel trying to punish and follow those attackers beyond the border, they will just punish the host nation so it will react in the desired direction and kick out the Palestinians (I didnt say the armed resistance because what is it except simple Palestinians with simple weapons?).
Israel is following the same policy. Destroy bridges so the kidnappers will not escape (give me a break here too, as if they need a 6-wheels truck to move around).
Israel policy of assassination and arresting in hundreds without court day did not stop and they expect no retaliation in response? Only Israel out of the whole developed world, where you can arrest someone on "hajz Idari" or procedure detention for up to 12 months and release the person later without any accusation or court due. And only in Israel out of the developed world where physical systematic torture is conducted under described procedures.
Israel can bomb the bridges, houses, factories and they might get some good feedback in the shortrun, but out of those 50 killed Palestinian civilians, how  many of them will come back when they grow up to revenge for their entirely wiped out families, just like the girl Huda Ghaliya.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:09
If a nation hosts groups that attack Israel, regardless of the reason, Israel is completely justified in attacking that host nation if they don't kick out and drop support for those groups. There's no international law that says Israel can't attack Syria if it is proven (which it has been) that Syria aids and supports Hezbollah and other groups bent on Israel's destruction.

But, every step should be taken to make sure no innocent civilians are harmed. Attacks should be directed towards military and government installations.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:12
cok gec:

Why don't the Arab states, especially the oil-wealthy states, provide for their Palestinian bretheren?  It is not as though Saudi Arabia is overpopulated.  You import labor for the oil industry.

Gee, isn't it convenient to keep a downtrodden Palestinian population in shameful conditions so attention can remain focused on Israel?

If you have not realized in SIXTY YEARS that you will not win the struggle, you have institutionalized the concept of Arabs as losers.  Reverse course:  make Arabs winners!  Use the capital and modernization to assist and uplift the Palestinians rather than consign them to the status of pawns in a game neither Arab states nor Palestinians are capable of winning.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 12-Jul-2006 at 18:13
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:14
Remember the girl who blew herself up at a cafe owned by Arabs and Jews in Haifa? She attacked the idea of tolerance in Haifa, which is a fairly peaceful, mixed city by Israeli standards. The "Jews only" apartments, roads, shops, businesses, etc... aren't common in Haifa. Anyhow, that's the first terrorist I felt badly for - half her family wiped out the year before, and she went through such depression, was on medication, all of that. It was just the most clear cause-and-effect example to me, I felt so bad for her. They just don't get a break.

I've said before, in 1994 if someone had given me a bomb and said go to Belgrade, I'd have done it. It's only when you have peace, or any small hope for a better life, that you start to value life, peace, etc. I know exactly how they feel and the hardest thing, the HARDEST thing:

Is to know that in Israeli cities life is normal. There's no curfews that go on for an average of 86 days, no beatings, no random searches, no checkpoints, no misery. They're contented to enjoy their lives knowing you're in a cage, in misery. It makes a hatred for Israel that I cannot even put into words, because I know how it feels.

When NATO bombed Belgrade, and they were crying on the TV - I threw up, I felt so sick to my stomach. I just wanted to... rub their noses in what they allowed for more than 1,000 days to us, while they watched their soap operas, and went to their cafes, and had their birthdays and weddings.

That is the aspect of it that allows you to attack civilians. That is when they too become, in your mind, part of the oppression. And then you can do anything. And the Palestinians will never get past this point until Israel stops treating them like dogs and they have a reasonable hope of any sort of future.

Edited by Mila - 12-Jul-2006 at 18:16
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:17
Originally posted by Illuminati

If a nation hosts groups that attack Israel, regardless of the reason, Israel is completely justified in attacking that host nation if they don't kick out and drop support for those groups. There's no international law that says Israel can't attack Syria if it is proven (which it has been) that Syria aids and supports Hezbollah and other groups bent on Israel's destruction.

But, every step should be taken to make sure no innocent civilians are harmed. Attacks should be directed towards military and government installations.

Having posted my previous comment, I am afraid the luxury of "no collateral damage" is illusory.  The purpose of military force is to punish one's enemy; to damage their lives and to make them hurt.  That is the only alternative to bending over.

Say what you want, but civilian casualties will always result.  Hamas and Hezbollah and some Arab governments are to blame.  Blame it on them!

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 12-Jul-2006 at 18:18
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:20
Or just declare war and conquer Israel. I see two choices. Provide adequate aid to the Palestinians or conquer Israel
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 18:44
Israel is surrounded by enemies at all sides. To me its like Israel is up against the wall with no other options but to fight back.
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 00:35
Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Israeli right wingers, Hezbollah, Christian Zionists, Syrian regime, and the Islamic Republic of Iran must be all delighted now. They have been hoping for a confrontation where they could gain the upper hand in the conflict. The sad reality is that the civilians on both sides are the ones who must pay the price for this latest episode of bloodshed. Yet again, murderers like Sheikh Nasrellah, Netanyahu, Khaled Mashal, etc are all benefitting from the situation as their power base grows and people flock to them because of their dire situation. The sad reality of the region is that people will never learn and this will continue for generations to come and frankly every single one of them probably deserves it.

Edited by Aydin - 13-Jul-2006 at 00:36
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 01:29
Israel attacks Lebanon

By SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

BEIRUT, Lebanon -
Israel widened its offensive against Hezbollah guerrillas on Thursday, targeting Beirut's international airport and blasting southern Lebanon for a second day, police and airport officials said. Twenty-two civilians were reported killed in the south, local media said.
ADVERTISEMENT

Warplanes struck the runways of the country's only international airport early Thursday during Israel's ongoing air and sea assault against Lebanon, which begun a day earlier after Hezbollah guerrillas captured two Israeli soldiers. The airport was later closed, forcing flights to be diverted to nearby Cyprus, officials said.

Israel's Army Radio reported the object of the attack was to shut down air traffic in and out of the Lebanese capital. The airport is located in Beirut's southern suburbs, which are controlled by Hezbollah.

Meanwhile, Israeli aircraft and artillery continued attacking targets in southern Lebanon overnight, police reported. Leading TV station LBC said at least 22 civilians were killed in the attacks, including a family of 12 in the village of Dweir.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 01:32
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

cok gec:

Why don't the Arab states, especially the oil-wealthy states, provide for their Palestinian bretheren?  It is not as though Saudi Arabia is overpopulated.  You import labor for the oil industry.

Gee, isn't it convenient to keep a downtrodden Palestinian population in shameful conditions so attention can remain focused on Israel?

If you have not realized in SIXTY YEARS that you will not win the struggle, you have institutionalized the concept of Arabs as losers.  Reverse course:  make Arabs winners!  Use the capital and modernization to assist and uplift the Palestinians rather than consign them to the status of pawns in a game neither Arab states nor Palestinians are capable of winning.

if you dont know yet. there are millions of Palestinians in Arab countries, many of them do hold the citizenship of those countries.

if you are suggesting Arab countries take all Palestinians  and leave the land to the Israelis just because Arabs has more land then you are making no sense at all, wouldn't it be easier to provide the Israelis lands in Europe and the US, after all the holocaust took place in Europe.

why would Palestinians give up their lands and rights to the invader israelis? because Israel is strong?

well get this, through history we learned that things CHANGE, the weak can get stronger and the strong can get weaker.

and Palestinians did NOT lose the struggle, its the Zionist nation which shown failure to succeed in the last 60 years, Palestinians with less than 1% of Israeli's military strength managed to survive and continue struggling.

Israel with all this strength, 6 million in population having military strength as countries 10 times its size and still not able to control the tiny Gaza strip is considered a Failure.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 02:51
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Is it not obvious that the kernel of this ongoing problem is the Syrian support of Hamas and of Hezbollah (yes money comes from Iran) both of which are sheltered in Damascus?

Xristar, Israel has not invaded Syria (not yet).  A resolution to the problem will not be realized before Syrian support for these outlaw groups is terminated.

Now how does one suppose that might be attained?

Israel does not have the capability to "invade" Syria. They can barely hold on to the Golan, and they have many advantages there that they would not in Syria proper, i.e Interior lines, secure Flanks and LOC's. They don't really have the capability to take Lebanon and hold it either. Israels has little by the way of military capability, except for what it does best, a short sharp war. Our old friend Moshe knew that, which is why he was against the whole Sanai occupation (he felt it was untenable).

As for the Israels assualt into the Leb? A whole division? Thats serious. And they are getting themselves into the qauigmire, again. Not to mention that in a war all Israeli stategic targets are within artillery range. If we see a full blown war, the IDF has lost the element of surprise (which was so crucial in 1967) and they no longer have the buffer territories anymore, which they did in 1973.

Stupid, pig headed really.

"Whom the gods would destroy, they would first make proud."

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 03:00
Israel is so obnoxious.  Why is post cold war US policy still tied to this country? It looks bad for PR, its expensive, and the Israel lobby is too powerful in congress. When Israel attacks Lebanon (or whatever) it is seen as the US doing so (maybe it is) but having Israel for an ally is like having a really expensive Jewish American Princess girlfreind.  All expense and no benefits.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 06:03
Originally posted by Sparten

They don't really have the capability to take Lebanon and hold it either.

thats debatable and maybe true for any long term urban potential of the conflict. Whats not debatable is isreal's capabilty to level lebanon and syria while they're at it, who say's they have to hold anything?

The attack on its army (if within its own territory) is an act of agression on part of Hezbollah and unfortunatly (by association only) lebanon . They incorporated them into their own government, more for political expedinacy than any true alliance. I would assume that most in lebanon want such syrian puppets out of politics. the reality is lebanon cannot disarm hezbollah without going into civil war. These guys are one of the best armed groups in the country and probably one of the most powerful 'terrorist' groups left intact..

Isreal is concetrating it attcks in the shiite south but will be punishing lebanon for not disarming them. This iI think is where they may have over stepped their mark and make enemies with their enemies own opponents.

Edited by Leonidas - 13-Jul-2006 at 06:04
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 07:27

I am really bored hearing the same story again and again.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>