Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are You proud of Your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are You proud of Your Country
    Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:24
i disagree, i believe that pride to an extent is a good thing, however not when it is taken over board.
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:24

Well..the first thing that comes to mind has both Iranic as well as Turkic influences..

I cannot build a Taj for you,
But in my heart, My queen,
I have as much love for you,
As Shah Jahan for his queen.

Shah Jahan was a Mughal King
He built the Taj to show his love.
I am but a humble man
Who likes to hide his love.

My love is hidden in my heart
For only you to see.
Treasures buried deep, My dear,
Of Love and Sympathy.

I grieve not for my modest lot.
Love is the treasure of life.
I am but a happy man,
And you my comely wife.

You are the queen of my heart
My kingdom more divine
Contentment, Love and Happiness,
These are treasures mine.

I will not be put to prison
For my kingdom, by my son.
I am but a happy man
For I have kingdom none.

No wars be fought amongst my sons
For I have kingdom none.
I am but a happy man
Blessed with loving sons.

Shah Jahan was a Mughal king
Who met a sorry end,
He had a heart full of love,
But a kingdom to defend.

Taj Mahal is a symbol of Love
The love of a king for his queen.
Here lovers meet by moonlit nights
Lovers- Unsung! Unseen!

Taj Mahal

By Syed Mohammad Asrar-ul-Haq

http://poetry.allinfo-about.com/poems/taj.html

http://www.balinesefantasy.com/tajm.jpg

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:31

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

i disagree, i believe that pride to an extent is a good thing, however not when it is taken over board.

And its your right to have that opinion.
I'm proud too - but only for my own acheivements - my family and other close personal things.

Please enlighten me - when, on a national scale, did pride solve anything?

Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 18:53

Originally posted by Northman

Please enlighten me - when, on a national scale, did pride solve anything?

Man this thread or this forum isn't about solving problems.It's about learning from each other.More specifically it's about killing time.

Another thing which makes me proud as an Indian is Buffalo Milk.It is much fuller than cow-milk.Some people say it makes you dumb.I miss Buffalo Milk a lot..

Pacifist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pacifist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 20:15

Sure, we all love our country, it's human nature (maybe I didn't express myself properly in my previous post) But we must always try to be objective, nobody is perfect.

Edited by Pacifist

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Pacifist

Sure, we all love our country, it's human nature (maybe I didn't express myself properly in my previous post) But we must always try to be objective, nobody is perfect.

exactly, i agree with you 100%.

but pride is important. when people take pride in something, they do it better and work harder to make that thing better..

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 21:11

Just for the record and clarification.

Pride in home, husband/wife, children, work etc. is fine and good from my point of view.
That was not was I was referring to - I was talking national pride - which in its extreme is called nationalism.

I am fond of my country, and I can easily accept people saying they love their country - but pride is so much more dangerous, demonstrated so often through history (and in this thread).

HOMERS HAND View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 08:18
you guys heard this alot i bet but the reason i like canada because its a free country everyone likes everyone eles
love is but one of the paths we cross
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 08:28
and because people went to war for canada to be free and thats why i like canada.
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 14:59

I have very little pride in my country. And I doubt my opinion of my Nation will ever change.

QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:28

I have very little pride in my country. And I doubt my opinion of my Nation will ever change.[quote]

What's wrong with us exactly? What on earth could we have done that's so bad ?

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:30
Originally posted by Pieinsky

I have very little pride in my country. And I doubt my opinion of my Nation will ever change.

Where's your Irish Pride a chara ? You seem almost ashamed to be Irish! Why ? What's not to like about our country ?

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 14:57

Queen Cleopatre I responded to some of your comments on Your Nations Psyce Topic. Travel there if you want to read on what i expressed.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 18:36
Hi,

Am I pround of my country? Well if this question has any sense at all, I am
not more ashammed of mine than of anybody's else. Why?

1) French language is great I say.
2) A nation with over 1000 types of cheese cannot be 100% bad.
3) Because Paris is in France and as far as I am concerned I have not been
in any better city (also New York and Istanbul are very close).

Voila.
I am a free donkey!
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 21:13
Originally posted by Maharbbal

2) A nation with over 1000 types of cheese cannot be 100% bad.

Well said. 

jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 01:47
Originally posted by Northman

Just for the record and clarification.

Pride in home, husband/wife, children, work etc. is fine and good from my point of view.
That was not was I was referring to - I was talking national pride - which in its extreme is called nationalism.

I am fond of my country, and I can easily accept people saying they love their country - but pride is so much more dangerous, demonstrated so often through history (and in this thread).

I have to agree.  I can be proud of myself and immediate family/friends but I don't see the point in nationalism at all.  It's a divisive force IMO more than anything else and growing up in 3 different countries has shown me the utter silliness of having pride in something that you yourself have no association with, other than by the accident of where you were born or what your last name is. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 13:43
i dont see the point in loving a nation or country it will fall be cause of people and everything else
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 20:39
Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

What's wrong with us exactly? What on earth could we have done that's so bad ?

Nothing, you all invented Guinness, you should be proud of that.

Member of IAEA
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 17:04

Thats true, let us be the quenchers of the Great Globe of our Earth. Let the fountain of alcohol and eternal escapism never run dry. All Hail Ireland, Land of Beer.

Edited by Pieinsky
Milos Obilic View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Milos Obilic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 20:16
Serbia;

1. defended the Christian Europe against the Asian invaders.
2. land of rich history and great achivements.
3. made significant scientific contribution to our civilization.

небески народ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>