Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore- should Turkey join the EU???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: More- should Turkey join the EU???
    Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 16:49
Could entry into the EU lead to another mass migration into Europe similar to what happened after the Battle of Manzikert in 1071 AD?
I would not blame a poor Turkish family for migrating to were there are more opportunities.

If this does happen how much would this alter or impact existing European cultures?

At one time the coptic Christians were the majority so I wonder what Europe would be like in a hundred years if they are allowed entry into EU?????
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 17:30

At least three conditions are required for a Turkish family to migrate to Europe:

1. Job opportunities

2. Social state expenses

3. Low costs of living

Unless these conditions are povided, an averadge Turkish family doesn't dare to migrate because though it might change adversely, Turkey is much cheaper than Europe and in Turkey there's a strong solidarity between relatives. If someone looses his/her job or undergoes a difficult situation he/she is both economically and morally supported by his/her relatives. In Europe, because of neo-liberalism, welfare expenditures are decreasing so I think migration to Europe will not be much attractive (except the very beginning)...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 03:27
Yannis wrote:
"From my part, when I was serving my military duty in Samos, I can assure our Turkish friends that I never saw any landing vessels full with armed to the teeth, blood-thirsty soldiers, ready to put to sea towards Kusadasi. Only ships full of Greek and foreign tourists
"

I havent served, partly coz i dont have to, more so becuase my greek is shocking and i expect to suffer terribly becuase of that. But rhodes is my station and what a place to be conscripted!!!.

Edited by Leonidas
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 03:48

Originally posted by Leonidas

I havent served, partly coz i dont have to, more so becuase my greek is shocking and i expect to suffer terribly becuase of that. But rhodes is my station and what a place to be conscripted!!!.

Greeks who reside abroad, only serve 6 months in the army, that means that practically they finish before they even notice it. When I was serving, we had a canadian guy called Angelo. He didn't speak ANY Greek! Officers would call orders and stuff, Anglelo would simply go on his way neglecting them totally, dragging his rigle to the ground. Once he was on sentry duty at the front gate, he refused to let the major in because he didn't understand what he was saying! They stopped putting him on sentry duty after that. In any case, to cut a long story short, I have met Angelo in Athens, a few months after we're dismmised and found out that he could speak Greek better than me .

Originally posted by kotumeyil

You are from Samos and you served to military in Samos? Lucky guy!

Oh, don't get me wrong, nobody was doing me any favor! It's standard process in the army, if you come from a border area, then you serve in the area that you come from...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 08:22
thats a plus point to greeks from me, in Turkey they send you to midlle of a battle, where people speak kurdish, where communication is impossible and where you risc youre own life  That's simply nightmare of any Turkish guy. But who pays i think 7 000 (?) serves only a month.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 09:03

Originally posted by DayI

But who pays i think 7 000 (?) serves only a month.
Sorry, I didn't get that part. You mean that some people only serve for 1 month in the army?

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by DayI

But who pays i think 7 000 (?) serves only a month.
Sorry, I didn't get that part. You mean that some people only serve for 1 month in the army?

yea if they pay circa 7000 (dunno exact how much) only serve one month (21 days to be exactly). And they are in a secure place (burdur).

ps; now they asking me to serve for military, in this situation if i enter Turkey i must serve 15 months But ill must go to Antwerp consultation to avoid that till my 36'th year and then ill serve one month.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 09:48

Ok, all the best with your military service then! If one has this 7000, it's a good deal to pay the military service off and get14 months of his life back in exchange..

I hope this doesn't mean that you won't be able to re-enter Turkey until you turn 36!

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:44
Originally posted by Yiannis

I hope this doesn't mean that you won't be able to re-enter Turkey until you turn 36!

If the paperworks are ok, then there is no problem.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 15:16

Iranian ex-pats can get a stamp in their passport that allows them to stay 3 months per year in Iran without doing military service, if you stay longer you have to do it.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 04:09

An interesting artickle in CNN, indeed Turism can bring Turkey closer to EU.

Turkey hopes tourism boom helps its EU bid

< = =text/> Thursday, November 3, 2005 Posted: 1658 GMT (0058 HKT)

< = =text/>var clickExpire = "12/3/2005";
story.sophia.ap.jpg
Tourists visit the Haghia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey.
< =text/> if(cnnEnableCL){if(!(location.hostname.indexOf('cnn.com')>-1 )) {cnnAddCSI('contextualLinks','/.element/ssi/sect/1.1/misc/co ntextual/story.html','');}else{ cnnAddCSI('contextualLinks','http:/\/cl.cnn.com/ctxtlink/jsp /cnn/cl/1.3/cnn-story.jsp','category=cnntravel&url=http:/\/r obots.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/11/03/turkey.tourism.ap/index.html &site=cnn_travel_dyn_ctxt');}}

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) -- Jan and Anita de Bruyne stood outside the Haghia Sophia, a magnificent 6th century building that was once the world's largest church but is now a museum in a country that is 99 percent Muslim.

But the Dutch tourists weren't going inside. "I've seen it too many times," said Anita. Jan said it was his sixth trip to Turkey.

The de Bruynes are among some 22 million tourists expected to visit Turkey this year -- an increase of 25 percent over last year, according to figures from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

Those visitors include 12 million Europeans and a growing number from the United States who have become enchanted with this country lying on the fringes of Europe and Asia, rich in the ancient histories of many civilizations. Some 334,000 U.S. citizens visited Turkey during the first nine months of 2005, a 47 percent increase over last year, and some 550,000 American tourists are expected next year.

Turkish leaders hope all these visitors will help improve their country's image and deepen ties with other nations -- an effort that has become particularly important as negotiations get underway for full membership for Turkey in the European Union.

The EU talks began October 3, but the proposal remains controversial. If admitted, Turkey would be the only country in the EU that is virtually all Muslim, and it would stretch the borders of the EU east to Iran, Syria and Iraq. The latest polls show only 35 percent of Europeans support Turkey's EU bid, and their views on Turkey's lack of "Europeanness" are proving stubbornly hard to overcome -- even among Europeans who enjoy vacationing here.

"It's a nice place to come visit, but it's something else to have it as a member of the European community," said Jan de Bruyne.

Still, tourism is seen as a way to soften these attitudes. "Tourism must be taken up as a national policy priority, supported by all sectors, groups and organizations," the government's 2005 "Tourism Master Plan" posted on the ministry's web site says.

East and West

There could hardly be a better backdrop than the Haghia Sophia for discussing the pros and cons of allowing Turkey to join the EU.

On the one hand, the church, built under the direction of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I, is a reminder to many European visitors that Turkey has been home to a complex mix of civilizations. As Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said, Turkey "can easily be a bridge between East and West."

On the other hand, the Haghia Sophia sports four minarets, thanks to the Muslim conquest of Constantinople in 1453. The fact that one of the most spectacular Christian structures ever built eventually became a mosque underscores the vast cultural differences between Turkey and other EU nations.

Americans contemplating travel to Turkey also sometimes wonder if they will be welcomed here, given the backdrop of the war in Iraq and anti-American sentiment in some parts of the Middle East.

The answer is "most definitely," according to Pamela Lassers, spokeswoman for Abercrombie & Kent, a luxury travel company based near Chicago. "That's the one thing people comment on when they return. They were surprised at the hospitality they find in Turkey -- not to mention the wonderful infrastructure and wonderful hotels."

She added that the company is seeing "a pent-up demand for Turkey. It's one of the places people are requesting this year as they're looking at more exotic destinations. ... It's so rich in history and has such an interesting culture with the influence of both East and West."

Even recent reports of bird flu cases have failed to rattle potential visitors. "People sometimes ask questions about it, but with all the information we have now, they understand that it's primarily a problem for people who have direct contact with the birds, so they're not too concerned about it," said Lassers.

Meltem Onhon, a spokeswoman for the Turkish Culture and Tourism Office in New York, agreed that tourism has shown no signs of dropping off in response to the bird flu reports. She added that "there is no evidence of any human contraction of the virus in Turkey."

Promotion abroad

Turkey's tourism industry took deep hits in 2001 following the terror attacks on the United States and again in 2003 with the start of the war in neighboring Iraq, but recovered rapidly and has become one of the country's most important and fastest-growing sources of income. Al-Qaida-linked truck bombings in 2003 also set back tourism, but the country has more than recovered and tourism is expected to contribute around $20 billion to the economy this year.

The country is certainly blessed with more than its share of attractions. Istanbul spans two continents and was the capital of both the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires. The country's western and southern borders are the Aegean and Mediterranean seas.

Government-sponsored promotion abroad has also helped push the industry forward. For months, buses in many cities across the world have been plastered with images of Miss World 2002, Turkey's Azra Akin, blowing kisses and welcoming visitors.

"Their advertising campaign got my attention," said Spyros Boukalis, a Greek-American visiting Istanbul at the end of a monthlong European tour.

Abercrombie & Kent has 17 tours of Turkey planned for 2006 with three separate itineraries and is also increasingly being asked to arrange individualized itineraries for Americans who want a private driver and guide.

Popular destinations, in addition to Istanbul with its Grand Bazaar and many cultural attractions, include the Aegean Sea resort of Bodrum; the ancient city of Ephesus, where archaeologists are preserving sites dating to Roman times; and Cappadocia, where hot-air balloons take visitors above "fairy chimneys" of stone that are so soft the Byzantine Greeks carved subterranean cities out of them.

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 05:09

Originally posted by Leonidas

"By the way, Casus Belli was not problem for us, It is problem for you."
Well if you want to be a part of the EU its your problem.

You are right. The main problem is that Turkish government wants to be a part of the EU. As you said, We Turkish citizens must solve this problem.

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 05:16
I have made this point before:

The Tourism board of Istanbul has finally started to emphasize the non-Turkish history of the city more, but it still has a ways to go.  I was in Istanbul last October (2004) and noticed that any historical monument dating post-1453, or anything from before that had an Ottoman stamp (ie modification) on it post-1453 had descriptive write up for any lay person or uninformed tourist to see and read about. 

Anything that was strictly Romano-Byzantine had the minimalist write-up.

I'll give an example here:  The Theodosian Obelisk in the center of the Hippodrome (At Meydani) is an obelisk that is over 3,500 years old, and sits on a base of marble that has a 4th century relief carved on it of Emperor Theodosius I and his family in the kathisma watching various events.  Some of you have seen it live or pictures of it.  Here is a picture I took during Ramazan last year:

And the only piece of information about this historic monument is a slab about ankle high that looks like this:

nothing else, you could almost miss it as it is so low.

Doing things like this will help Istanbul at least have an image that it is not sompletely alien (by that I mean people (most of the EU) who classify anything that is Christian as local, and anything not (in this case Muslim) as not).  Pay homage the city's christian past, and associate the city with the grandeur of Imperial Rome, as well as it's Muslim heritage.  Before my trip when I would be explaining to friends/family that part of my European trip was going to include Istanbul, I got responses like "Why there for your first trip to Europe?  Why not Rome, Venice, Florence, Paris etc?"  When I mentioned that Istanbul was the capital of the Roman Empire for over 1000 years, I would get a look of skepticism....

If Turkey wants in to the EU, adding the perception of it's Christian heritage would help it in the public relations battle that the above article  states it is currently losing with only 35% of Europeans supporting their entrance.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 05:43
Interesting, but is tourism enough to change the obvious problems, one of them being claims on lands that do not belong to them ??

A controversial Cypriot member of the European Parliament yesterday added to his resume of political acts by grabbing a Turkish flag from the buffer zone that divides Cyprus and running off with it.

Marios Matsakis, a former state coroner, snatched the flag from a Turkish sentry post some 20 kilometers south of Nicosia. The Turks came into the area, they pointed their weapons at me but they did not shoot, Matsakis told The Associated Press. The MEP said he would take the flag back to the European Parliament to emphasize the occupation of Cyprus, an EU member, by Turkey. The Cypriot government distanced itself from the incident

ekathimerini.com

Note that the Turkish outpost had been built ILLEGALLY, INSIDE the BUFFER ZONE and Turkish troops THREATENED the inspecting UNFICYP Officer and Force Commander at GUN POINT when they were asked to stop construction in August..

UNFICYP spokesman Brian Kelly confirmed to the Cyprus Mail yesterday that

Turkish troops "pointed weapons at the UN personnel" while the inspection
was underway, noting that "the Force Commander was among those present"
According to Kelly, The UNFICYP Force Commander then met with the head of
the Turkish forces to discuss the incident, where "apologies were conveyed
to the [UNFICYP] Force Commander for the misunderstanding."

The UN also lodged an official complaint "concerning both the buffer zone
violation and the incident", which then led to the removal of the
construction materials from inside the buffer zone.

.................., in itself a 'spirit' violation of the status quo", Kelly said. "The building in question has since been partially dismantled in response to UNFICYP's  protest."
cyprus-mail.com

Of course the Turkish side has a different view on the issue, a view that actually tells us alot.

Denktas told that the flag had been returned to where it belongs
http://www.zaman.com

So according to Denktas it belongs IN the BUFFER ZONE but isn't that a direct VIOLATION of the status quo and the 1974 agreements ???

By the way, what is the connection between this Pseudo-Vice PM Denktas and the former Butcher Rauf ????

Not much of a real change nor any effort in discarding the past

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 05:54

The fact that one of the most spectacular Christian structures ever built eventually became a mosque underscores the vast cultural differences between Turkey and other EU nations.

Intolerant Muslims have converted the Church into a mosque in the 15th century, which would never ever happen in a EU country due to vast cultural difference? This one sentence speaks volumes about how ignorant and prejudiced the Westerners are. Even those writing friendly press articles about Turkey. If this is what they think when they see the minarets of Ayasofya, they'd better stay at home...

"That's the one thing people comment on when they return. They were surprised at the hospitality they find in Turkey -- not to mention the wonderful infrastructure and wonderful hotels."

This is quite misleading as well. Poor readers may think Istanbul has wonderful infrastructure...

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 07:21
Man aren't those Westerners predjudice... and of course always posting manipulated news that don't exist, obviously due to their total ignorance..

Subject: Half-naked models at a fashion show held in a Christian church in Istanbul

In the middle of May 2005, the St Irini Church in Istanbul (situated near the St Sophia Church, which epitomises the Christian faith) was treated to a designer display by half-naked fashion models with the prior approval of the Turkish authorities, something which can only be described as the height of bad taste and vulgarity deeply offensive to the beliefs of millions of Europeans and this at a time when the Greek Government is attempting to assist in the realisation of its pro-European aspirations a country which seems perversely determined not to cooperate.

What does the Commission make of this? Is it conceivable that, for example, Notre Dame de Paris, St Peters Basilica in Rome or the Brussels Mosque in the Parc Cinquantenaire situated at the very heart of the EU could ever be considered as venues for a fashion show of this nature?

EU PARLIAMENT
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 12:24

What happened was an over-excited nationalist Greek member of the European parliament asked the 'question' you shared with us to the parliament. And got ignored, since no one heard about the EP passing a resolution about this issue. I see you conveniently forgot to mention these things, when giving your source as the EP.

Anyway, your point in posting this was what? In what way does this show that converting temples to is unique to Turks? In what way does this answer the point I raised?

Besides, your MP hero with the Turkish name is wrong, neither Ayairene nor Ayasofya are churches. They are both museums. And they legally belong to Turkey. Turks have the right to do whatever they like with them. 

Btw, I've been to a few concerts and art exhibitions in Ayairene myself, but unfortunately the performers were all fully dressed.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 12:44

Originally posted by Phallanx

Man aren't those Westerners predjudice... and of course always posting manipulated news that don't exist, obviously due to their total ignorance..

Subject: Half-naked models at a fashion show held in a Christian church in Istanbul

In the middle of May 2005, the St Irini Church in Istanbul (situated near the St Sophia Church, which epitomises the Christian faith) was treated to a designer display by half-naked fashion models with the prior approval of the Turkish authorities, something which can only be described as the height of bad taste and vulgarity deeply offensive to the beliefs of millions of Europeans and this at a time when the Greek Government is attempting to assist in the realisation of its pro-European aspirations a country which seems perversely determined not to cooperate.

What does the Commission make of this? Is it conceivable that, for example, Notre Dame de Paris, St Peters Basilica in Rome or the Brussels Mosque in the Parc Cinquantenaire situated at the very heart of the EU could ever be considered as venues for a fashion show of this nature?

EU PARLIAMENT

Its good to see you recant and correct yourself Phallanx. From the sounds of your original post, seems that you were alleging that the fashion shows occured in the Aya Sofia.  Misunderstadings no more. I know you then said St. Irenes so don't blow a fuse. But you never said it didn't happen in the Aya Sophia. You threw that out there for others to correct as usual.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5862& ;PN=1&TPN=8

The builing is still standing. It hasn't been demolished. In was not a church for centuries.

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 12:55
YES !!!!

If they can reach the Maastricht critera, they should be accepted into the EU. This will maybe happen in 15 to 20 years from now... by that time Turkey as we know it today will no longer exist:
- less corruption
- more democracy
- more human rights
- a land named Kurdistan?

The EU will never let a coutry like the actual Turkey enter the EU, and it makes sure that things are changing (like the hot kurdish topic - has to be settled, aswell as the Karabagh issue...).

Only time will tell, but on a legal basis, they have land in Europe and should not be discriminated against. Moreover, personnaly, i think a country like Turkey could bring so much more than the lage majority of the 10 new arrivals and the next to come (Romania & Bulgaria).

PEACE.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 13:35
Well Seko, as I recall and thanks to your providing the link so I could re-read my posts. I had insisted on A. Irene, even though Agia Sophia was originally suggested I did correct it and only insist on A.Irene.
Originally posted by Posted: 17 October 2005 at 10:16am

] As for what shows, you could look up the show that took place in St. Eirene March 22 2004, I'm sure you can find alot more such shows in Turkish sites..

Unfortunately for all those that have dared to mention that I allegedly  manipulate new articles in the past, this EU Parliament question, is more proof to be rubbed in their face, that I don't manipulate news but instead I just present it...

Anyway I would like you to comment on what you conveniently ignored, which is the illegal building of an outpost within the Buffer Zone in an attempt to expand the already illegally occupied lands in Cyprus..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>