Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Language questions (Greek, Turkish, etc.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Language questions (Greek, Turkish, etc.)
    Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 18:05
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Maybe those words "baba, papa" etc. were the first sounds that a baby can make, so it became the name for father. I dont know.

I think you are actually onto something now...
I think I have heard that before somewhere!
CARRY NOTHING
Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 20:23

Well I don't know if it is of any help or not but there is this guy called "Baba Tahir Oryan", who lived in the first half of the 11th centuray A.D. Here is a nice poem by him. Also Baba Kuhi who died in 1050 A.D.

Oh, there is this Ali Baba and the story of the 40 thieves, but I don't know where or when he lived. (I can't belive that Wikipedia would make a page for him)  Lets say "baba" is a international word.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 02:52

Maybe those words "baba, papa" etc. were the first sounds that a baby can make, so it became the name for father. I dont know.
I agre. The word baba means baby in Hungarian.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 03:17
bebe means baby in Turkish
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 03:55
"moro" or "vrefos" means baby in greek.
Irrelevant.
CARRY NOTHING
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 04:27

Originally posted by Menippos

"moro" or "vrefos" means baby in greek.
Irrelevant.

Does "moron" derive from "moro", like having a baby's intelligence? 

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 04:42
I doubt it - probably some coincidence.
CARRY NOTHING
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 11:02
lol, call youre child moron and say its baby in greek
OUT OF LIMIT
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 02:53
That's a nice trick for all linguist parents out there...
CARRY NOTHING
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Does "moron" derive from "moro", like having a baby's intelligence? 

Actually you are quite right:

moron
 1910, from Gk. (Attic) moron, neut. of moros "foolish, dull" (probably cognate with Skt. murah "idiotic;" L. morus "foolish" is a loan-word from Gk.). Adopted by the American Association for the Study of the Feeble-minded with a technical definition "adult with a mental age between 8 and 12;" used as an insult since 1922 and subsequently dropped from technical use. Linnæus had introduced morisis "idiocy."

www.etymonline.com

We also see "mwrizw, mwrainw" = to be foolish

]

Herodotus gives us an interesting account on what the first words/sounds a baby could say/make:

" Psammetichus, when he was in no way able to learn by inquiry which people had first come into being, devised a plan by which he took two newborn children of the common people and gave them to a shepherd to bring up among his flocks. He gave instructions that no one was to speak a word in their hearing; they were to stay by themselves in a lonely hut, and in due time the shepherd was to bring goats and give the children their milk and do everything else necessary.

Psammetichus did this, and gave these instructions, because he wanted to hear what speech would first come from the children, when they were past the age of indistinct babbling. And he had his wish; for one day, when the shepherd had done as he was told for two years, both children ran to him stretching out their hands and calling “Bekos!” as he opened the door and entered. 

When he first heard this, he kept quiet about it; but when, coming often and paying careful attention, he kept hearing this same word, he told his master at last and brought the children into the king's presence as required. Psammetichus then heard them himself, and asked to what language the word “Bekos” belonged; he found it to be a Phrygian word, signifying bread. "

(Herodotus Histories 2.2.1-5)

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2005 at 10:06

What language is HADE (come on)?

Turks, Greeks, N. & S. Cypriots and Albanions. It has varients suchas Hayde and Haydi.

Also, the Turkish word 'BE',is it originally Turkish because Greeks say a similar 'Re' ('Ra' for female). Some Cypriots even say 'Bre'

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 09:22
Well, the Greek "re" comes from "Ore" (with omega) which comes from the ancient greek "O" (omega again) but exaggerated.
It is the vocative case, i.e., when you address someone.
A modern equivalent in english is "Yo!"

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 08:41

Yes but which language dothey derive from?

Also the word 'Hoppa', is also used by Greeks,Turks and ALbanions.

Who do these words originally belong to?

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 19:47
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Yes but which language dothey derive from?

From Greek

Originally posted by OSMANLI

Also the word 'Hoppa', is also used by Greeks,Turks and ALbanions.

Who do these words originally belong to?

"Hoppa" or "Opa" or "Uep" or "upss", or whatever else similar, are natural and primal sounds when a sudden, or unexpected, action takes place.
They are common to most languages and dialects all over the woorld.
CARRY NOTHING
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 18:57

Sorry peepz i had to digg this topic again cuz ive found some info about "Turkish" words in Greek

Here the list:

Turkish/Trk蔒-Yunanca/Greek

Adet : Adeti
Aforoz :Aforismos <--
Aga : Agas
Ahmak : Ahmakis
Ahtapot : Htapodi
Alan : Alana
Alarga : Alarga
Aman : Aman
Anadolu : Anatoli

Anason :Anithos
Anfora : Amphoreus
Angarya : Angaria
Aptal :Abdalis
Apukurya : Apokria
Arap : Arapis
Arnavut : Arnautis
Asik : Asikis
Atlet : Athlitis
Avanak : Avanakis
Ayran : Ariani

Baba : Babas
Baca : Batzias
Bacak : Batzaki
Bacanak : Batjanakis
Baglama :Baglamas
Bah蔒 :Bahtses
Bahsis : Baxisi
Bakir : Bakiri
Bakkal : Bakkalis
Baklava : Baklavas
Balta :Baltas
Bamya : Bamia
Barbunya : Barbunia
Barut : Baruti
Batak蓾 : Bataxis
Battaniye : Batania
Bayrak : Bairaki
Bekar : Bekiaris
Bekri : Bekris
Bela : Belas
Benzin : Benzina
Bereket : Bereket
Beton : Beton
Bey : Beis
Bezelye :Bizeli
Biber : Piperi
Biftek : Bifteki

Bomba :Bomba
Bora :Bora
Bostan : Bostani
Boya : Bogia
B顤ek : Boureki
Bre : Vre
Budala : Boudalas
Bulgur : Bligouri
But :Bouti
Buz :Bouzi
Buzuki :Bouzouki

share youre memoirs and some words with me...

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 19:02

Those words are Greek in origin but loaned by Turkish:

afi, aforoz, aftos, agora, ahlat, ahtapot, alay, anadolu, anahtar, angarya, antisemit, araka, avlu, ayazma, balyoz, barbunya, bazlama, bodoslama, bodrum, burgaz, cmbz, 蓷簜noz, 踦ngar, 蓾nakop, 蓾ngene, 蓾pura, 蓾roz, defne, demet, despot, drahoma, duziko, dven, efe, efendi, eksen, engebe, engerek, enginar, erkete, evlek, farfara, fasarya, fasulye, fava, fener, ferace, fesle簟n, f踦, fr蓷, frn, fk, fidan, fide, filiz, fire, fistan, fok, fol, furnisto, gem, gerdel, grnata, g霵der, g霵ye, gbre, gderi, g蹞m, gmrk, halat, hamsi, hani, hristiyan, hora, horon, hoyrat, huni, hlamur, rgat, skamroz, spanak, spazmoz, zgara, ikona, iskemle, iskete, iskorpit, ispinoz, istakoz, istanbul, istavrit, istavroz, istif, istiridye, ikil, kadrga, kalafat, kalamar, kal蓷, kaldrm, kambur, kangal, kantaron, kapari, karafaki, karakancaloz, karanfil, karides, katran, kavanoz, kayser, kaytan, kefal, kelepir, kertel, kenevir, kerata, kerevet, kerevit, ketane, ketenpere, ktpiyos, kiler, kilise, kilit, kiraz, kitemit, kirizma, kitakse, kof, kofana, kofti, kokona, kola, kolyoz, konsolos, kopil, k闥nar, k顤fez, kukla, kukumav, kundak, kurna, kurus, kutu, kfe, kfeki, kmes, kpete, labada, lagos, lahana, lakerda, lamba, lapin, levent, levrek, liman, lispos, livar, madara, manastr, mandal, mandra, manita, mantar, marangoz, mart, marul, masa, maske, mastika, mastor, matiz, mays, maymun, mazgal, melanurya, melisa, menderes, mendirek, mengene, mermer,, mersin, metazori, metelik, mrlan, mi蔞, midye, moloz, morina, musandra, musiki, mumula, nadas, namlu, navlun, nevr, omuz, orfoz, orkinos, ortodoks, oya, 闥se, 顤eke, palamut, pakirya, panayr, pandik, papara, papaz, paskalya, patal, patates, pati, patik, patrik, pavurya, peksimet, pelin, pestil, prasa, prnal, pide, pilaki, pili, pirina, pisi, piskopos, plaka, pohpohla, poyraz, prostale,, pul, punt, prez, radika, rafadan, re蓾ne, roka, rum, safra, (salyan-), saloz, salya, salyangoz, sandal, savan, semer, serander, snr, sra, srma, sinarit, sirtaki, sirto, somun, suma, susam, sbye, snger, stliman, amandra, rnga, taflan, takoz, takunya, tapu, taverna, tavla, tekir, temel, terelelli, trpan, tirfil, tirhandil, tomar, tonoz, torik, trampa, tran蓷, tu簰a, tulum, uskumru, stp, vendire, vaftiz, vatoz, vernik, voli, yakamoz, yal, yeke, yortu, zargana, zoka, zonta, zula...

source: http://www.zamane-sozluk.com/tr/sozluk.asp?x=yunanca%20ve%20 turkce%20arasindaki%20ortak%20kelimeler  

(its Turkish)

Edited by DayI
Amedeo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Amedeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:57

Edited by Amedeo
--Amedeo the Magna-Graecian
** Veritas, Justitia, Pulchritudo, Amoenitas **
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 01:09
Amadeo: It is a myth that Chinese used gunpowder only for fireworks: they built portable rocket-launchers of all sorts for war. There was a topic on Chinese warfare some months ago about that - very interesting. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 02:21

I had trouble finding out what the participants were discussing.I guess this thread started with names for relatives.

Here are names for relatives in Hindi.In no specific order.

1}Chacha {father's younger brother}.

2}Chachi {chacha's wife}.

3}Tau/Tauji {Ji is a respect marker,can be added to chacha and chachi too}  {Tau/Tauji is father's elder brother}.

3}Taiji {Tauji's wife}.

4}Bua {Father's sister}.

5}Phuphaji {Bua's husband}.

6}Mama {If you wish,you may call him mamaji too}{Mother's brother}.

7}Mamiji {The woman who married your mama}.

8}Dadaji {Father's father}.

9}Dadi or dadiji {Father's mother}.

10}Nana {Mother's father}.

11}Nani or naniji {I like irritating people----they show their true colours

when they are irritated----I know by now you know Ji is a respect marker,it can also be attached to beta{son} and beti{daughter} when you are in a good mood}...so my Nani is my mother's mother.Or she was, now.

12}Mausi {or mausiji} {she is another daughter of my Nani/Naniji,who has a different soul and body as compared to my Ma{mother}--in my dialect we also call my Nani/Naniji's daughter who gave birth to me,Bai or Boi.

13}So whom did Mausi marry.My Mausaji.

14}Bhatija{brother's son}.

15}Bhatiji{brother's daughter}.

16}Bhanja{Guess?}

17}Bhanji {My sister gave birth to her and she's a female,like my sister}.

18}There are some other irritating fellas out there.Can't concentrate right now.Would let you know about their existence later,if you are interested.

Jai Badri Vishal
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 12:07
I want to ask the turk-users of this forum:
Please, can someone tell me what are the differences between the words: "cunku", "belki" and "sanki". Because many of the bulgarians are using often these turkic words (蘼臌鳻, 摎鍆鳻 黟臌鳻, and they don`t know that  these words have DIFFERENT MEANING !

Edited by The Chargemaster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>