Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Language questions (Greek, Turkish, etc.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Pete View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Language questions (Greek, Turkish, etc.)
    Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 20:09
I noticed how people use the same word differently.
This is almost like a poll, I suppose: what do you (or
your family,friends, etc.) mean by the terms
mpatzanakis (if you are Greek) and bacanak
(if you are Turkish)?

1) brother of your wife
2) husband of your sister
3) husband of the sister of your wife

Cevap verenlere ok tesekkrler... euxaristo opion
apantaei....

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 03:26
Nr 3 for me please!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 04:06
I agree. Bacanak is your wife's sister's husband.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 04:13
#3 for me as well
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 04:33
I always confused all the different relatives.
Usually I call them "re" (=yo!)
CARRY NOTHING
Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 07:55

well in turkish

1) Kaynbirader or kayno

2)Enite

3)Bacanak

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 08:03
Wow... Pretty family-centered. The husband of your wife's sister isn't even related to you.. Cool....
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 10:20
There are no Persian words for them but the Turkish words are also used in Persian, of course for the second one, we use Ayazana which is also Turkish.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 15:02

Isn't the "zan" in "Ayazana" Persian?

Pete View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 15:14
Thanks a lot everyone.

I was confused because I heard Greek
mpatzanakis being used in many different
senses, I wondered whether they were regional
differences, but I found that Greek dictionaries often
explain it as 'brother of a spouse' - I would have said
kouniados for that.

But in Turkish bacanak is used more exclusively
for 'husband of one's wife's sister', and I used Greek
mpatzanakis(as the Greeks in this forum seem
to do) in that same sense - despite what Greek
dictionaries say.

Would Greeks then agree that:
mpatzanakis = sygambros
kouniados = gynaikadelfos ?

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 19:38
Mpatzanakis'es (I tried to make a plural) are two people who are married to siblings.
But in coloqueal Greek it can mean any distant relative or any non-blood relative.
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 19:40
Originally posted by Kuu-ukko

Wow... Pretty family-centered. The husband of your wife's sister isn't even related to you.. Cool....

I don't know about the Finns but for the Estonians, whoever is not a member of the immediate family (parents, offsprings, siblings) and grandparents, is just called a relative.
CARRY NOTHING
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 03:57

Originally posted by Pete

Would Greeks then agree that:
mpatzanakis = sygambros
kouniados = gynaikadelfos ?

I'd agree, but keep in mind that no-one really uses these terms to describe a relationship. In everyday life, they're used mostly as jokes...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 05:47

QUESTION: Can Turks, Uzbeks, Kazakstans, etc.. all understand each other? I left out a few in that group but who can understand who? Im curious.

Basically who else can Turks understand perfectly?

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 06:31
well some of our member will answer it better but I had no problem communicating with Azeris, Uzbeks and Gagauzs in Ukraine and Moldova. AFAIK these are the closest ones to Turkey turkish.

As for the rest, we will still understand eachother in some level but the people I know and the stuffs I read tell me that it will take only a couple of months of practise to communicate with them well

A note:I've met an Uygur Turk in states and  surprisingly we understood each other well.of course not %100

Edited by erci
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 09:29

Originally posted by Menippos

I don't know about the Finns but for the Estonians, whoever is not a member of the immediate family (parents, offsprings, siblings) and grandparents, is just called a relative.

Well, apart from what you've said, there is a name in Finnish for both the brother and sister of your husband/wife (kly, nato), daughter-, son-, mother- and father-in-law (nato, vvy, anoppi, appi). Also, there is a difference between the brother of your mother and -father (eno, set).

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 15:51
Originally posted by minchickie

QUESTION: Can Turks, Uzbeks, Kazakstans, etc.. all understand each other? I left out a few in that group but who can understand who? Im curious.

Anatolian Turks can easily understand Azeri (very easily, almost the same languages even if both communities have never lived under the same state nearly thousand of years), Crimean Tatars (easy), Gagauz of Moldova (easy). The most difficult to understand is Kazak's one. We can hardly understand Turkmens of Turkmenistan since their prounanciation is strange to us. Uzbek's one is almost the same as Turkmen's to us.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 18:42
Originally posted by Kuu-ukko

Originally posted by Menippos

Well, apart from what you've said, there is a name in Finnish for both the brother and sister of your husband/wife (kly, nato), daughter-, son-, mother- and father-in-law (nato, vvy, anoppi, appi). Also, there is a difference between the brother of your mother and -father (eno, set).

I stand educated.
Although you can be in serious doubt if I would ever remember what you have just explained - I have trouble remembering even the Greek terms...
CARRY NOTHING
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 02:45

Yes, as Alparslan said. But when the texts are written, we can easily realize what it says, no matter it is in Turkmen or Uzbek. The pronounciations are different tough, theirs are way harder than ours, but writing makes understanding easier.

Uighur is very similar to Uzbek and Turkmen. The most different one is Kazakh for us, since it has been kind of isolated than other Turks. And also, Oguz and Uygur are more related, and Kazakh and Kyrgiz are another subgroup. Originally, Turkmen, Azeri and Anatolian Turkish were very close, since all of them belonged to the Oguz group, western Turks, western dialects.

1) Kaynbirader or kayno

2)Enite

3)Bacanak

That's wrong Seljuk. Kaynbirader is an originally Persian word for the brother of your wife, not your wife's sister's husband. Kayno is the same.

Bacanak is the exact word.

minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 21:24

hmm, interesting. thanks for answering.

is there anyway you can write a word like 'cat' in each of those languages that you guys mentioned so i can see the differences or similarities? i know its probably work but im very interested in language , if not its no problem. im just curious to see how far off the languages are from each other.

thanks i appreciate it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>