Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

biggest casualties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: biggest casualties
    Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 19:39
In the American Civil War the bloodiest Battle was the Battle of Antetium Im not sure of the estimates and sorry for any mispelled words
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 02:54
how bout the ardennes campaign....any of you guys has the exact casualties of that one...i think it is as bloody as stalingrad....
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 15:30
not even close to Stalingrad...
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 16:19

I think the Normandy thing posted on page 1 is Normandy Campaign, not Normandy landing - during the landing the Americans only took 2000 KIA's.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:59
even then, even the whole Western front after the landing are nothing compared to Stalingrad...
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 11:45
Originally posted by Ralo

In the American Civil War the bloodiest Battle was the Battle of Antetium Im not sure of the estimates and sorry for any mispelled words

Town is called Antietam and it was one the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. On a single day (September 17, 1862) more soldiers were wounded or died in a single day than in any single day of any other battle of the Civil War. Losses (wounded + dead) 12,410 Union and 10,700 Confederate.
Another interesting fact is that US lost more soldiers in the Civil War than in all  wars combined during all of its history and up to the Vietnam War.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 12:01

i always thought the largest casulties were at the time of the Mongols somewhere in china

i will try to get the battel name

J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 19:18
In two hours of battle Hannibal slaughtered 70,000 Romans on the fields of Cannae - bloodiest day in history. (other than natural disasters)
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 19:59

I think that Stalingrad.

Cannae for Sword era in Occident.

In Orient, I/Eye said Koguryo vs Sui, that

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 21:27
Originally posted by Ralo

more people were killed at Gettysburg, but that took place over 3 days

i just whipped out my 2003 Guiness Book of World Records, and it lists the Bloodiest Ancient Battle as The Battle of Cannae (85,700 men)...it also mentioned a reported 250,000 killed at Plataea, but this is considered unreliable as are many other ancient battles

Bloodiest Modern Battle is listed as Stalingrad, with 1, 109,000 killed, along with ovef half a million Soviet wounded.  also mentions the Somme as having 1.22 million casualties (includes wounded)

i dont know, maybe Mr. Guiness is wrong, but thats what it says
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 00:25
yea, Stalingrad sounds like a winner
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 01:49
i have always wondered how many soviets died in on the Russian Front on June 6, 1944.

Edited by Catt
Moller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 05:49
Extremely difficult to say how many exactly fell at Stalingrad. The chaos and lack of correct reports from the Red Army makes it impossible, but I agree that Stalingrad is a clear winner.

If it counts I think that the siege of Leningrad is secpnd.
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 17:53
guiness also lists leningrad as the largest seige of all time (including civilian casualties....i don't know how they decide civlian vs military on the russian front)
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 18:18
20mil civilian
7 mil military
That's how it is here. Also up to Verdun Russia holds the records for the bloodiest battles of the 20th century makes me feel proud in a weird way, proud that we endured all that and survived.

Edited by dark_one
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 18:57
I can never understand nationalism, how can you feel proud over something you had nothing whatsoever to do with and weren even around to take part in?
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:00
Shiloh was pretty bloody, considering it a battle of 17th century.  One record claims that there were so many corpses that one could not step the ground.
Grrr..
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 21:20
shiloh?

what shiloh is this, the only shiloh i know was in the american civil war (19th century)
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 13:35
 Yeah I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 20:40

Originally posted by dark_one

20mil civilian
7 mil military
That's how it is here. Also up to Verdun Russia holds the records for the bloodiest battles of the 20th century makes me feel proud in a weird way, proud that we endured all that and survived.

Those casualties are for 1941-1945... total civilian casualties at Leningrad were about 1.6 million.  You probably meant it as so, but I just wanted to clear it up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>