Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food Fans Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food Fans Club
    Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 14:07
Originally posted by eaglecap

Now a good ole fashioned American breakfast is good:

By Morton Fox on Flickr

By cafecafe on Flickr 

Staring at above photos,I feel like having breakfast IHOP restaurant chain this morning.The best place where I can indulge on buttermilk pancakes or savory chicken crepes for lunch ( yummy ).

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 17:51

Now this is food!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 20:28
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Now this is food!

WOW!! One can really choke on that one- takes two hands to handle a whopper!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 21:40
And a entire Hospital of doctors and paramedics to keep you alive after eating that. 
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 22:36
I was about curious what they eat in Chile but Pinguin probably knows best-

By cariberry on Flickr

boy this look great

By pongky on Flickr

makes you into a ........

By Tatathomas on Flickr

Edited by eaglecap - 10-Mar-2009 at 22:37
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 00:30
What we eat in Chile?
Humitas, that are similar to tamales, are our oldest foods of Amerindian origin,

We also have some cooked corn food called maize pastry (pastel de choclo) that is served in potery pots.

We also love sea food, and a amazingly variety of different foods. From Spain we got Empanadas

And sweet things, that are really of Arab origin

Also arab are our "rolled children" (ninitos envueltos), which are made of wine leaves, and filled with rice and meat

We have many different foods of Amerindian, Arab, Iberian and European roots. We love the mediterranean food, but also have some foods of the poors people. Cow interiors, particular stomach and intestines are appreciated by the countryside people (we most are descendent of cowboys. For instance, a kind of crude spagetties, called "pantrucas" were very popular in old times

New generations are too much into American foods, but we keep our traditions well. For  
instance, our Hot Dogs are unique:

And our meat sandwich as well.

Edited by pinguin - 11-Mar-2009 at 00:32
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 18:14
Boy it makes me hungry just looking at the pictures.

I have made this before but I still do not know how to wrap the grape leafs correctly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:05
If you can't make it right with grape leafs you may try with cabbage leaves. They work as well.
With respect to grape leafs, you have to collect them fresh, when they are very soft and roll easy. Besides, you should cook them in some water with salt, before to attempt to do the rolls.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:17
Originally posted by pinguin

If you can't make it right with grape leafs you may try with cabbage leaves. They work as well.With respect to grape leafs, you have to collect them fresh, when they are very soft and roll easy. Besides, you should cook them in some water with salt, before to attempt to do the rolls.

I should try that. A food friend and her husband made me this for one of my birthdays but my late mother was the best at making stuff cabbage. I have done stuffed tomatoes and bell peppers also. Now that I live in the desert I am not sure where I can get fresh grape leafs but Wilcox is not far and they have vineyards so I should ask. While I am at it I should pick up some wine in Wilcox and have it with our dinner.

http://www.coronadovineyards.com/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 18:23
I got the pics of some dishes I made so all I have to do is load them on the CD and then figure out how I can add them here.

I have an idea though!!! I will make spaghetti and meatballs tonight with ground Turkiye/Hindi but I want to wrap the meat around a Kalamata olive and stuff it with feta cheese, minus the pit. I will add the mint, garlic, diced onions to the ground meat of course. I will cook it tonight but let it sit till tomorrow so the flavor sets in and for my date tomorrow night. wine- spaghetti, Greek salad with candles light.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 03:43
today i had dinner with my offmates. It was a farewell dinner..
We had nice dish in a restaurant calls Little Penang.

It calls Lobak. It's chicken meat roll.

This is Assam Laksa. The one that i ordered for myself.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 20:15
Originally posted by cahaya

today i had dinner with my offmates. It was a farewell dinner..We had nice dish in a restaurant calls Little Penang.It calls Lobak. It's chicken meat roll.This is Assam Laksa. The one that i ordered for myself.

WOW- AND SPELLED BACKWARDS WOW!!! It is 1:15 pm and I missed lunch- man this makes me hungry-
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 21:58
Originally posted by pinguin

If you can't make it right with grape leafs you may try with cabbage leaves. They work as well.
With respect to grape leafs, you have to collect them fresh, when they are very soft and roll easy. Besides, you should cook them in some water with salt, before to attempt to do the rolls.

We do both - grape and cabbage leaves - the cabbage should be sour however (kind of like saurkraut, but not cut up).

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 23:23
Pinguin
Also arab are our "rolled children" (ninitos envueltos), which are made of wine leaves, and filled with rice and meat

Its not Arab its Turkish you wanna start a fight LOL 

I like your name for it though, where the foods from it has a plain name, either Dolma (To be Stuffed) or Sarma (To be wrapped).
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 23:37
Originally posted by Bulldog

Pinguin

Its not Arab its Turkish you wanna start a fight LOL 

I like your name for it though, where the foods from it has a plain name, either Dolma (To be Stuffed) or Sarma (To be wrapped).

Now wait; all the Greek people I know insist that it is Greek in origin. LOL Seriously though, I never could understand why people couldn't just all agree on, "It originated in the Eastern Mediterranean," with regard to any number of things. It's the same with the gyro and hummus -- I've heard aetiologies ranging from the Balkans to the Levant.

-Akolouthos
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 00:34
I would love to know more about a sweet food called Baklava. My cousin brought it for me once on a trip to Greece, and it tasted delicious. If anyone can provide a recipe, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, where does Baklava come from? Greece? Turkey? Is it Arab?
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 00:42
It is Mediterranean food. So it comes from everywhere in the Mediterranean. 
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 01:32
That's what I'd gathered too, es_bih, for all that I've heard Greeks and Arabs both vehemently claim it. Wink

Blech. Never could stomach the stuff. A bit too rich and sweet for my taste. Sometimes I wish I had a more discerning tongue, but what can you do?

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 01:40

All the people of the Mediterranean share many foods, like the love for sea food. However, in the case specific of these rolls, I believe they come from the Eastern Mediterranean, between Greece and Palestine... Turkey perhaps Wink

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 02:15
Jallaludin_Akbar
I would love to know more about a sweet food called Baklava. My cousin brought it for me once on a trip to Greece, and it tasted delicious. If anyone can provide a recipe, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, where does Baklava come from? Greece? Turkey? Is it Arab?

If you ask a Greek its Greek, ask a Turk its Turkish, ask an Arab its Arabic LOL

There have actually been food historians who study this stuff, there are two main theories,  either Byzantine or Turkic, there was a similar dish in Byzantine times however, according to food historian Charles Perry it didn't contain any dough. According to him the origins are in Turkic Central Asia, the Turks developed a very thin pastry called "Yufka" which is used to make the dish. Kashgari Mahmud also mentions the dish and there are variants in Turkic countries.

However, the final form of Baklava as we know it today took its form in the royal Ottoman kitchens.

[quote] Pinguin
All the people of the Mediterranean share many foods, like the love for sea food. However, in the case specific of these rolls, I believe they come from the Eastern Mediterranean, between Greece and Palestine... Turkey perhaps

This kind of foods were bought by the Turks all the way from Central Asia. It may seem strange that these foods could originate there as many people think they just eat meat and not very advanced gastronomy culture. However, this view is far from the truth, there are so many fruits and vegetables which grow in the region, in Eastern Turkistan/Xinjiang the grapes and vineyards are so famous that they're the stuff of legend and folklore. You may be more suprised to know this same dish is made there aswell, all the way in China!

Most seafoods in Turkey were adopted from the Greeks, Greeks are the King of the sea foods Tongue

Did the Amerindians have a seafood culture Pinguin?

Edited by Bulldog - 18-Mar-2009 at 02:25
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>