Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is your nationality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What is your nationality?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.56%]
6 [16.67%]
1 [2.78%]
6 [16.67%]
6 [16.67%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.78%]
3 [8.33%]
6 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your nationality?
    Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 12:40
It's not a matter of geography. It's a matter of culture. Greece's culture is neither western nor eastern european. You could call it Balkan or Near Eastern, but not West Asian. The same for the other balkan nations. Italy, though "southern", fits well in "western".

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Bandeirante View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bandeirante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 17:21
I voted other (Ohter) because I am Brazilian and the name of my continent is America (we have the copyright since 1507) 

Edited by Bandeirante - 03-Nov-2008 at 17:22
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 17:40
Originally posted by xristar

It's not a matter of geography. It's a matter of culture. Greece's culture is neither western nor eastern european. You could call it Balkan or Near Eastern, but not West Asian. The same for the other balkan nations. Italy, though "southern", fits well in "western".

Whether it's a matter of geography or culture is a matter of preference. It wasn't clear which understanding we operated with here so naturally there is confusion. But even from a cultural POV one could ask why the northeast defines what is eastern European and not. We could just as well say that Greece and the southeast defines what is culturally eastern European and that Russia therefore is not.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 17:47
Henceforth, what's the point of even answering? And I know that includes me..
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 17:55
Originally posted by Reginmund

Whether it's a matter of geography or culture is a matter of preference.

Well, ummm, I prefer to call my self "Greek". I'm too proud to call yself "Other"Big%20smile

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 21:34
What about the Central Asians and Middle Easterns???
By the way I am from the center of Asia Afghanistan.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 21:37
Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Maldives and Sri lanka are in South Asia, not west Asia.

Edited by Suren - 05-Nov-2008 at 21:54
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 23:17
Originally posted by Bandeirante

I voted other (Ohter) because I am Brazilian and the name of my continent is America (we have the copyright since 1507) 

Hey Bandeirante:

Yes, all people of the New World are Americans. That's something the U.S. people don't understand, so why to insist?

Brazil is part of Latin America. Actually, it is the largest and more populated country of the region with circa 1/3 of the lands and 1/3 of the people. So, although you aren't "Hispanic" you are "Latino".
You are Brazilian first, of course LOL

If you had voted "Latino",  our 3% of participation would have doubled!! damn LOL

Edited by pinguin - 05-Nov-2008 at 23:23
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 23:40
Nationality: United States

Ethnicity: Technically Polish / French but really just an acculturated "white"  American .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123