Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDay of the German

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Day of the German
    Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 14:12
Eyery year at the second saturday of september the Society of the German speech celebrates "The day of the German".

This year the main attention goes to the all the Anglicism that had captured the German.
Many terms, leant on the English, found it's way into the everyday speech. Whereas the term "Handy" used for portable phones isn't a term, that is used in Englis.

Many commercials at tv or radio are using as much English terms as possible.
A current radioad  for a gig of a singer says:

MMW's (the singer) Birthday bash. Ihr könnt "voten" was "performed" werden soll. There are several German terms for the used English ones, but obviously it's "cool" to use English.

The counters of the German Rail are called "Service Center" or "Ticket Center" and a German TV station is "powered by emotions".
A German perfumery store chain used the slogan " Come in and find out". They stopped it after asking consumers about the meaning of it and many people thought, that meaning was "come in and leave quickly".

Most of the teams of the German icehockey and basketball professional leagues are using English names like, Artland Dragons, Nürnberg Ice Tigers, Frankfurt Skyliners, Hamburg Freecers or Hagen Phoenix. Brr, that sends shudders through me.

Now this debate is hard to understand for members of an English forum, where many come from anglophone countries. But what do you think?

I decided to celebrate this day, by posting the rest of the day only in German.....

And to prevent Seko's notes. Yes , this post is in English...

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 15:08
What?  German is really English with spelling errors.  Wink  (kidding) 

It is the French who have been "shuddering" for decades.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 13-Sep-2008 at 15:12
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 17:39
We have the same problem. Most icehockey teams have adopted English "surnames" just as yours since a few years past, and it's utterly ridiculous. Most people just ignore them. Slogans are in English, half of our bloody commercials are in English even though they are produced by Swedes and only aired in Sweden. I find it very silly, and while listening to Germans speaking with English words all over the place (I meet quite a few foreigners in my work/study), one realises it's even more ludicrous than you thought. I can't imagine how silly it must be to an Englishspeaker.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 13-Sep-2008 at 17:41
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 19:29
Actually in Luxembourg the native language has become more and more used in public speech and announcements, commercial advertising and so on since I first came here 25 or so years ago. At that time you never saw written Lëtzebuergesch.

Mainly though that's been at the expense of French and German, rather than of English.
Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 23:31

to this add killen from English. By the way where did you post your german posts?

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2008 at 19:59
Originally posted by Asawar Hazaraspa

to this add killen from English. By the way where did you post your german posts?

we closed the foreign language section two years ago, for several reasons.
Wir haben die Abteilung für Mitteilungen in anderen Sprachen bereits vor zwei Jahren geschlossen, keiner weiß warum.

So, i didn't post in German actually.
Daher habe ich eigentlich garnichts in Deutsch gepostet.

If you are interested in German or Icelandic pm me.
Falls Du in Deutsch oder in irgendeiner anderen Sprache mailen möchtest, schreib mir eine PM

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2008 at 06:38
I've noticed that last time I was in Germany visiting family.
Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 01:39
one can tell
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 16:10
OuchIch bin neu in diesem Forum. Es überrascht mich nicht zu sehen und zu hören, wie die deutsche Sprache im Sterben liegt und durch die richtige Stimme Englisch ersetzt. I "M Deutsch-Irische; stolz auf beide. Wie irischen Familie Kampf um unsere Grundfreiheiten. Dieses Problem wird in den Kalk light.The realen Schrecken auf die lange Bank geschoben getan. Das Problem der Wiederherstellung unserer Muttersprache, (Irisch) ,. Die Stiftung ist der Wille des Volkes zu einer Rückkehr in die Muttersprache verlangen, ab dem ersten Tag der Schule. Das deutsche Volk wurden Belastung eine Schuld sie nicht schuldig, ich will nicht in die "Fake Holocaust-get" , als mir klar, dieses Forum zu diskutieren. Ich finde es aber Offensive Anzeigen auf TV laufen und das Radio in einem fremden Sprache.
Gerry O'Brien
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 16:49
hmmmm..... if you could in english please
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 16:58
 I'm sorry. You can use Google translator. I will post in english next time.
Gerry O'Brien
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 23:55

Well, English is a Germanic language. If you think about it, Germanic languages are the most dominant languages in the world (i.e English). So Germans shouldnt be worried too much, its just one Germanic language replacing another.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 22-Nov-2009 at 23:56
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 16:36
Smile I love all of German things, bias I guess! The German people are just proud, even though they are excepted to paid a debt that wasn't their' to pay.  The "Day of the German" was seeing the unification of East/West German. I was hoping it would bring more prosperity to the East. I do blame outside influences to the lack of good fortune. The food is amazing. BEER, nothing else to say.
Gerry O'Brien
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 17:23
Originally posted by Gerry57

Smile I love all of German things, bias I guess! The German people are just proud, even though they are excepted to paid a debt that wasn't their' to pay. 

What debt do you mean?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 18:08
To me, at least, German means much the same as "germain!"
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 09:56

I'm not sure if we are allowed to discuss the "Fake Holocaust". I remember my grandfather telling stories about American-Allied troops killing innocent German Men, Women, and Children and leaving their bodies lying in the streets. I see history lessons doesn't discuss these issues. That's the debt I talk about. More in the future.

Gerry O'Brien
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 11:25
Considering the fact that your nation attacked almost all the european countries and was committing war crimes since the first day of war, murdering civilians and PoW's, I dont think that Germans have right to blame others for the same. Remember who started it.
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 13:54
It sad you don't have the real story of how and why WWII started. I can only assume you are a
BIG Zion's supporter. May I suggest you stop reading accepted main stream history and search the for the truth about the corrupt money changers.
Gerry O'Brien
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 14:37
Originally posted by Gerry57

It sad you don't have the real story of how and why WWII started. I can only assume you are a
BIG Zion's supporter. May I suggest you stop reading accepted main stream history and search the for the truth about the corrupt money changers.

May I suggest you take a gun and shot yourself like your hero Adolf Hitler?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 16:34
Now, now, Mosquito, remember the plaque that you hold in your hands? Does it not say "Free Speech ZONE?"

Cetainly American and other Allied troops committed War Crimes? It is the nature of war!

Even now the American government seems determined to see if it can convict our own agents, and soldiers of such crimes? Whilst it has "noble intentions", it is still "wrong!"

Edited by opuslola - 24-Nov-2009 at 16:35
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>