Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Chinese Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Chinese Army
    Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 13:42
Just a ditto of "Ancient Korean Army", I would like to know some of their machines, weapons, and stuff, If they had any.
Grrr..
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 17:58

Here's a site for some Chinese swords for the different dynasties... http://thomaschen.freewebspace.com/

If they had any? Grrr...

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:41
They sure had stuff, but it was nothing compared to steppe equipment, that is until the Chinese adopted some of that steppe equipment
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 23:46

Hey Tobodai,

That's nonsense, everybody knows that the Chinese invented the most powerful mao bi.  Oh, wait, that's the caligraphy brush.  Nevermind.

Peace,

Michael

8-20-2004

Edited by MengTzu

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 01:26
lol Im just kidding, China has invented alot of great war stuff like gunpowder, trebuchets, crossbow etc etc, but this was more medieval then ancient so I dont think it applies to this thread so much.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 04:40

Originally posted by Tobodai

lol Im just kidding, China has invented alot of great war stuff like gunpowder, trebuchets, crossbow etc etc, but this was more medieval then ancient so I dont think it applies to this thread so much.

actually the crossbow's not  medieval at all, it is in europe, but not in china. The crossbow was around since the Han dynasty.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 07:29

If they had any? Grrr

Calm down buddy, it was meant to intregue you to post No offense intended

EDIT: BTW, did Chinese had flamethrowers? 

Edited by demon
Grrr..
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 09:28
Originally posted by demon

If they had any? Grrr

Calm down buddy, it was meant to intregue you to post No offense intended

EDIT: BTW, did Chinese had flamethrowers? 

A modern flamethrower? No. A device that spews flames yes.

Even the english used a device similar to a flame spewer in the Hundred years wars. Its quite simple really, get a log split it in two, stuff in it flammable liquid like oil, put one of those accordian like blowers at one end and a dry flame on the other end.

Push the log (hopefully you had put it on rollers and a roof to prevent archers) up to the very wooden gate. Once within reach, press the accordian, pushing out all the oil, igniting them into a massive flame at the other end and burning the gate down.
Hwarang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 11:42
Didn't they have the firelance?
Myyeeeeararrrrgghhh!!!-~Howard Dean
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 17:06
Who needs any of this?  The most important weapons of Communist China are mind control and calling its people "threats to the security of the state" whenever they don't agree with the state.  (sorry, may be I should take my sarcastic criticism elsewhere.)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 10:51

The Chinese were using Greek Fire (naphtha) in naval warfare by the 10th century, about 300 years after the Byzantine Empire discovered it. What I'd be interested to know is whether this spread to China from the West, or was developed indigenously.

Demon, you'll recall from an earlier discussion on CHF that I believe that the Korean 'Gema' armoured cavalry (which is actually the Korean pronunciation of the Chinese 'kaima', meaning armoured horse) were adopted by the Chinese from the Xianbei nomads slightly before the Koreans adopted it (i.e. in the 4th century AD).

Also, babyblue says that the crossbow was around in China since the Han dynasty, which is still understating it. In fact, the crossbow was developed during the Warring States period.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 14:55

Hey Yun,

What is "kaima" in Chinese script?

Peace,

Michael

8-23-2004

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 15:52

"In fact, the crossbow was developed during the Warring States period."

Thats still an understatement, its been around since the spring and autumn period.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 15:57

Originally posted by demon

EDIT: BTW, did Chinese have flamethrowers? 

Even in the Three Kingdoms period their are legends of them having machines that spew fire.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 05:25

Demon, you'll recall from an earlier discussion on CHF that I believe that the Korean 'Gema' armoured cavalry (which is actually the Korean pronunciation of the Chinese 'kaima', meaning armoured horse) were adopted by the Chinese from the Xianbei nomads slightly before the Koreans adopted it (i.e. in the 4th century AD).

Well, that's a hard call, becasue Koguryo had a different mechanism of creating iron compared to rest of China.  Maybe they immitated their armor but didn't copy exactly.

Grrr..
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 06:16
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey Yun,

What is "kaima" in Chinese script?

Peace,

Michael

8-23-2004

well...i believe it's "kai" as in "kaijia" or "hoikap" and "ma" as in horse

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 00:48
Kaima: 铠马
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 14:29

Military formations of ancient China.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 23:45
Let me ask you dej, if you were going to encounter a force, equal or equal to greater in size.. which one of these formations would you choose?
intem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote intem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 07:18
Originally posted by Yun

The Chinese were using Greek Fire (naphtha) in naval warfare by the 10th century, about 300 years after the Byzantine Empire discovered it. What I'd be interested to know is whether this spread to China from the West, or was developed indigenously.

Also, babyblue says that the crossbow was around in China since the Han dynasty, which is still understating it. In fact, the crossbow was developed during the Warring States period.

Could i just ask you, where did you get this information from as to where the chinese were using greek fire, because i do not recognise any of those information from what i have seen previously out of my sources, so could you give sources as to where the chinese were using greek fire, i mean the first REAL! gunpowder that was used was in china way earlier than that of the western couterparts. Forgive me for interrupting your comments and im not changing the subject at all, im just saying that everyone knows that the earliest fire weapon was used in china, whether its flame thrower or gunpowder.

J.T.I.J
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>