Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hypocrisy of Freedom of Speech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypocrisy of Freedom of Speech
    Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 15:37
Europe needs to understand it lives in a world with other people. And if one man is sent to jail because he denies history, this asshole dead director should have been given the same 3 years.

Im sorry, but not everyone has the same disregard and disdain for their religion. Thats pretty much a European thing. We have laws against such shit.

My freedom of speech, Northman, goes as far as people coming up to my face and calling me a camel f**ker. I dont really think id care. But when you attack the deepest belief system of mine, it will piss me off.

And different people have different levels of care for their own cultural institutions. Your declaring war on these people by insulting them as so.

Again, I ask, why are these men sent to jail for denying the holocaust?
Holocaust%20denier%20Ernst%20Zuendel%20in%20court

But this goof isnt?

Im not saying to kill him, Im saying you need to get your laws in order - because your favoring one group over another.

Edited by Mughaal - 01-Mar-2008 at 15:43
Mughal e Azam
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 15:57
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

While I agree with you completely Ako, I want to point out that in the places that the deaths occured; deaths in protests, particularly political protests, are a very common occurance.
I don't know how many people actually died, but considering how many people are killed on a day-to-day basis for no real reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time I would be surprised if they were numerically significant. If you deliberately went out to protest then you would know the risks.

While this may sound harsh to the western reader, it is unfortunately true, and if we are to consider an event 'major' or 'minor' we must consider it in the day to day situation of that place. People die, in Denmark one death is a incident, in Pakistan one death isn't worth reporting.

Aye, the deaths in the cartoon incident -- at least as far as I know -- occurred as a result of the protests, although there were actual murders associated with the reaction to the Pope's comments. Anyway, one death over this nonsense would have been one death too many. While I agree that the impact of the death on public perception is not the same as it would be in the West, I believe that you would agree with me that the value of each individual life is the same across the world, and that the loss of a life in the Middle East is just as disturbing as the loss of life elsewhere.

Originally posted by Mughaal

After rereading my comment, Akoulothos, I understand the misconception of my comment.

You open your posts up to "misconceptions" and misunderstandings when you so casually dismiss human dignity in light of your ideology. That said, I am glad to see a bit of concern demonstrated in this post.

The people who killed, vandalized and assaulted were dumb to begin with. They come from the lower, disfranchised parts of society. But I support an economic backlash. I would definitely support if Denmark went without oil by the arab countries for months.

That is within the rights of the Arab countries to get together and do. I doubt they would -- for they are as interested in making money as everyone else -- but it would certainly be a principled position to take.

But I dont support killing and murdering randomly. Even the druggy director, Van Gough should have been given jail time like that British Holocaust Denier dude who got 3 years.

Well, first, you're once again being insulting to a person who has recently died to no end. It really reminds me of the attitude of Theo van Gogh's assasin, when speaking to Theo's mother: "I don't feel your pain. I don't have any sympathy for you. I can't feel for you because I think you're a non-believer."

As for jail-time, there is absolutely no reason Theo van Gogh should have been sent to jail, period. For the record, I also think the laws against holocaust denying in some European countries are a violation of the principle of freedom of speech.

Also, people are dying in Iraq. 13 year old Iraqi girls are embracing a life of Whoredom to feed their 7 year old brothers. Keep your panties on. Death is part of life.
Perhaps the greatest lesson learned are humans are biased.

No, the greatest lesson to be learned here is that Mughaal is biased. LOL And when did the conversation shift to Iraq?  Of course the deaths there are a tragedy as well. Honestly, Mughaal, try to keep your head on while you post. Just because death is part of life doesn't mean that we have to place less value on each individual who dies.

-Akolouthos
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 16:17
AH, how some things keep on going on. First off I may add folks that to each their own. Nobody has the high road when an injustice is done. We should seek the opposite. Moslems have a right to feel upset with another planned attack at their core. A core that doesn't like to feel ridiculed. However, some moslems will use western means to an end and then take away rights they once previously owned. The western press needs to understand the full burden of responsibility for insults it chooses to publish for the sake of "freedom of Speech".. Media of any stripe tends to step up fear mongering with insecurity. Afterall the editors have their own issues. It's hard to understand one another when either side avoids placing their best foot forward. Slinging mud is easy. Getting to have decent discussions is not.

Edited by Seko - 01-Mar-2008 at 16:18
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 16:36
I have the right to my opinion as a muslim has. I can say Mohammed was a butcher, as a Muslim can say Jesus was a sissy. The problem does not lie in the opinion. Whether i say it openly or not, my opinion is the same. What we learn in democracy is to hold the limits, the balance between us and the others. If you do not like the opinion of a specific person, do not hang out with him. If you do not like the cartoons of a newspaper, do not buy that bloody newspaper.The same if the newspaper does sth wrong. Simple as that. You do not have to kill and threaten and whine about it.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 16:45

Europe needs to understand it lives in a world with other people. And if one man is sent to jail because he denies history, this asshole dead director should have been given the same 3 years.

Im sorry, but not everyone has the same disregard and disdain for their religion. Thats pretty much a European thing. We have laws against such shit.

My freedom of speech, Northman, goes as far as people coming up to my face and calling me a camel f**ker. I dont really think id care. But when you attack the deepest belief system of mine, it will piss me off.

And different people have different levels of care for their own cultural institutions. Your declaring war on these people by insulting them as so.

Again, I ask, why are these men sent to jail for denying the holocaust?
Holocaust%20denier%20Ernst%20Zuendel%20in%20court

But this goof isnt?

Im not saying to kill him, Im saying you need to get your laws in order - because your favoring one group over another.

Is such a crap worth to answer ? Or is just another try to challenge my patience?
Mughaal i even have sympathies for those who were discriminated when Allah parted brain to all beings. In as much you may say what ever you want, you can't even confirm your mental modesty further more.
btw: Trust in Allah, but tie your camel

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 16:50
Oh, I totally agree with you there Spartakus. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Just as they are for the repruscussions of publishing provoking or graphic material. In the US we have caricatures of most everything, though I don't see how a bomb toting Muhammed serves any purpose other than to ruffle some feathers. You also have sage advice about not buying the offensive material either. But deep down one can interpret opinions, pictures and what not. Those intentions tend to speak a thousand and one words. More than the picture's thousand.

Of course the ability to publish any material is one of the priviledges of free societies. We always hold that dear. We would never want somebody to threaten that and take it away. Yet insecure socieites flaunt it for the sake of proving a point. A perceived threat. Yes, even in a predominantly moslem counrty like Turkey this discussion is more pervasive and important then ever. Maybe more so than Denmark. Because the perceived threat to "freedom of speech" is current and more serious due to landmark attempts at changing the constitution there by a strongly religiously backed government. One that is showing unsecular tendencies everyday. It has to do with taking way rights. Which is totally wrong. As for the cartoons in Denamrk I don't know what rights were taken away. Do you?

Edited by Seko - 01-Mar-2008 at 16:52
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 17:08
Mughaal, I hope your happy in your little loop where no-one is allowed to criticise what you believe. The men who were put in jail for denying the holocaust received a great wrong. There is no logical justification for banging them up, and I completely reject it. You'll find that when you ask most Europeans, they'll reject banging someone up simply because of what you believe.

The Danish cartoonists didn't know what they were getting themselves into. No-one thought Muslims would get so pissed off, and to be honest, Europeans still don't understand what you are so pissed off about. So someone in a country FAR FAR AWAY drew a cartoon of Muhammad. Get a life, and get out of mine.

P.S- Spartan; That is a genuine picture, with a genuine London protester. He had to apologise for it the next day. 'Behead Cartoonists' became a ready phrase on talk shows for the next few weeks as we tried to understand what the hell really went on.

I have to admit, I don't feel sorry for Muslims over this, and neither do I feel hurt that their feelings where hurt over a f**king cartoon. The people who try to express empathy with them are forgetting one thing.

It was a f**king cartoon.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 17:17

For all those who are using this an excuse to put forward your prejudices, please be advised that the  staff is aware of this and we are not as divided as you may think esp on the issue of forum moderation.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 17:33
Please read your PM Parnell
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by Seko

O But deep down one can interpret opinions, pictures and what not. Those intentions tend to speak a thousand and one words. More than the picture's thousand.

Interpreting and criticizing is one thing, demanding not to be published is another.

Originally posted by Seko

Yet insecure societies flaunt it for the sake of proving a point. A perceived threat. Yes, even in a predominantly moslem counrty like Turkey this discussion is more pervasive and important then ever. Maybe more so than Denmark. Because the perceived threat to "freedom of speech" is current and more serious due to landmark attempts at changing the constitution there by a strongly religiously backed government. One that is showing unsecular tendencies everyday. It has to do with taking way rights. Which is totally wrong. As for the cartoons in Denamrk I don't know what rights were taken away. Do you?

There are perceived threats and there will always be. But this is irrelevant to some drawings published in a Danish Newspaper which neither i, nor you can actually read.In fact, if this whole chaos never had come up, i would not even be aware of their existence. I honestly believe that a few cartoons cannot be a threat to a religion of more than 1.000.000.000 believers and 1600 years of tradition. It's stupidity at it's greatest extent.

We are clearly judging intentions here. In that, we are no different than the Middle Ages. What we need to do is find solid proof, and then try to find the reason behind it. Even if we find it , what we can actually do is  criticizing it or even go to court against it. But we have no right to attack an entire country, burn flags, threaten to kill.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:17

Originally posted by Sparten

I live in a highly versatile country where the language and culture changes every 10 miles, and while freedom of speech is all well and good, peace and good relations with other communities are far more important, and if for harmony freedom of speech muct be sacrifised then so be it.

To call the conditions in your country peaceful and good relations, is lightyears apart from my perception of the situation in Pakistan. Being willing or forced to sacrifice human rights for such a peace - or any reason for that matter, is not an option in my book.
It reminds me of an old story of a people living behind a door and all anyone ever heard from them was a soft cosy mumble through the door. "They seem and sounds to be happy", a man said, and the door was opened.
Behind the door, people were standing chin-high in manure and the soft mumble was a chant from each one of them.....  Don't make waves - don't make waves....

We could say,  they were in full harmony as well.

Originally posted by Omar

I'm not interested in what is going on outside my bubble. I'm interested in why a Danish paper had to come over to my bubble and start picking fights.

Huh?
I didn't know Jyllandsposten came all the way over to Oz - or actually had a a printing facility out of Denmark???
- oh silly me, thats right, they didn't have to. It was Muslim Imams and Mullahs who spread the happy news, making sure the whole world got to see them, plus a few much worse fake ones. 
If you HAD been interested in things outside your bubble, you might actually have learned the facts.
Maybe your bubble is a PNP bubble - a retifying mirror - only allowing you to see from one side?

It is never ok to do what that paper did, and there are no mitigating circumstances.
Besides, I'm untrusting enough about Quality of Life in central Europe that I suspect that these "troublemakers" probably have a fairly good point, and probably are having their statements grossly misrepresented (probably deliberately)

Lets assume it wasn't ok - but even so - was the reaction OK, Omar?
Then what reaction would be ok for us to take against immigrants who plan to murder people, attacking our democracy, trying to install fear and comitting arsen?

You even try to justify what they do Omar, probably not because you think its right what they do, but merely because they are Muslims.
In doing this, you are insulting your own intelligence - making it obvious that you cannot or will not separate right from wrong when your religion is involved.

~ Northman

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:20
How far these freedoms go are a matter of human perception and bias.

When the cartoonists realized how upset the Muslims were, they should have apologized, not reprinted the cartoons in the name of "freedom"; and thats my final point.

To the person who said that the Post didnt think these cartoons would make a big impact, they are dead stupid. If they were not going to humiliate Jesus, why did they not have the same standards for Muhammad?

It takes a buffoon to realize this war in Iraq is wrong, but Bush isnt being tried in the Hague for war crimes for oil.

God forbid you deny the Holocaust though!

Edited by Mughaal - 01-Mar-2008 at 18:23
Mughal e Azam
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:23

How far these freedoms go are a matter of human perception and bias.

When the cartoonists realized how upset the Muslims were, they should have apologized, not reprinted the cartoons in the name of "freedom"; and thats my final point.

If they did not violate any law of their country, they are not obligated to do so and certainly nobody can oblige them to do it.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:24
I would like to apologise for posting the Muhammad cartoons earlier. That was out of order and I was in the heat of the moment. My position still stands however, and I only wish everyone got the chance to see the image - to actually understand how ridiculous the reaction was relative to the 'crime'.

And in regards to supposed prejudices been aired, then yes, you are right. I am prejudiced against extremists who believe its ok to riot, threaten execution and kill people IN THE NAME OF A CARTOON. If anyone is trying to hint that I am in some way prejudiced against the Islamic religion then I pity their ignorance. And thats all I have to say.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:25
And thats how policies are formed my friend. It was legal in the USA to own slaves until a certain point in time. It was also "okay" to have Jim Crow Laws, until the Civil Rights Uprising.
Mughal e Azam
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:29

And thats how policies are formed my friend. It was legal in the USA to own slaves until a certain point in time. It was also "okay" to have Jim Crow Laws, until the Civil Rights Uprising.

Well, while you pose a question you pose it in the wrong context. It's not the cartoons the problem, but the Law that permits it's publication. Instead of criticizing the exact Law, which i am sure you know shit off, you criticize people who act in it's context.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:34

Akoulothos - I dont care hes dead. Theres a shitload of dead everywhere. I personally dont care for him nor did he touch me in anyway greater or lesser than say the dead people in Congo Civil War.

Ulrich - Take Spartakus's advice; If you dont like it move on to the next post. Theres no reason to make rhetorical comments.

Parnell - I enjoy living in my loop; as do the Europeans who still dont understand what Muslims are mad about. Europeans are a people who find "Human Rights" as a sacred thing. Muslims are a people who find Islam and Muhammad a sacred thing. Imagine that.

Moreover, I understand Muslims take the rights that are beneficial to them and disregard other rights. It is wrong. But then I cant see the difference in the Europeans picking and choosing what is freedom of speech and what isnt; and how the Muslims pick and choose how to and when to apply their Rights.  

For the final question: Was the reaction Okay? I dont concern myself with okay; I concern myself with realpolitik. It was expected. It was to happen, and Europes all the stupider in thinking they can put their views on other people.

As they say, all is well in love and war. And if Europe wants to step on other people's toes, expect a backlash. Youd be better off, like I said before, insulting King Fahd. Or Musharraf, or Sukarno, or King Muhammad of Morocco.

ClapClapBravo! Keep acting like idiots, and keep immigrating people who dont share your beliefs and culture, and see whats coming next.

I wait for Geet Wilders upcoming Anti-Islam movie.

Edited by Mughaal - 01-Mar-2008 at 18:36
Mughal e Azam
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:37

For the final question: Was the reaction Okay?

Hell no.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:38
Originally posted by Spartakus

Well, while you pose a question you pose it in the wrong context. It's not the cartoons the problem, but the Law that permits it's publication. Instead of criticizing the exact Law, which i am sure you know shit off, you criticize people who act in it's context.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Society, not Law. For a nation that proclaimed itself the first Democracy, it took a long time for Society to understand what that meant, and exactly how much they would have to lose and undo to be truly democratic.
Mughal e Azam
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 18:39
Originally posted by Spartakus

Hell no.

Wish you shared the same opinion when it comes to invasion for oil. 650,000 - 1,000,000 people dead. Suddenly human rights dont matter.

Boo hoo, an artist is dead.

Bah! One thing ive learned in history is might is right and the top dawg makes the rules. So while today abortion may be okay, tomorrow it may not be. While yesterday it was okay to treat others like third class humans, today it isnt.

While today it was okay to make caricatures of holy symbols........tomorrow?

Edited by Mughaal - 01-Mar-2008 at 18:42
Mughal e Azam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>