Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The British in India

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The British in India
    Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 14:25
How is it that India is knows as one of the biggest democracies around ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 13:13

Efficient? Incorruptible? The civil service? And democracy? Ah yes, British India was never democratic.

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 12:12
Plus when it started a good efficient and incorrptible civil service and a founding in democracy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 12:01
The British were not the first ones to unite S Asia. The Mauryans, the Khiljis, the Mughals etc. ANd BTW there is still no India, it has what 17 insurgencies going on right now. The only thing new S Asia got out of British rule were railroads and syphallis. And I suspect it would have gotten both anyhow.
Scaevola View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Scaevola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 11:15
It seems to me that although many decry the British rule of India as oppressive and exploitative, there would be no India at all if Britain hadn't conquered it. Wasn't it the case that the Indian subcontinent was nothing more than a plurality of warring principalities before Britain conquered (and unified) it? I know for a fact that English is the single consistently spoken language and throughout the subcontinent (probably a good thing for India and Pakistan on the world stage) and that the second most prominently spoken is Hindi, which is not nearly as prevalent. India, it seems to me, would still be a highly balkanized and unimportant region of the world (if infact it could have retained its sovereignty in a disunited state for so long) if it weren't for the British occupation and unification of the country.
SPQR| Alea Iacta Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234