Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Polearm?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What’s your favorite polearm, and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
12 [33.33%]
7 [19.44%]
9 [25.00%]
3 [8.33%]
2 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Polearm?
    Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 11:33
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Originally posted by Gazi

Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Originally posted by aknc

Who used the tirpan in the ottoman army?

Janissaries equipped as armored shock troops (zirhli nefer).

But that Trpan is not the trpan in the pic I posted its more of  weapon like a halberd.(actually some examples are displayed at the military museum in Istanbul)

My point all along has been that the tirpan in question is a type of bill (a cut-and-thrust polearm of agricultural origins), which is comparable to a halberd (though technically not the same thing--they differ in blade form).

Most zrhl nefers preferred the scimitar and the mace instead of the polearm though

Zirhli nefers undoubtedly used some form of saber (most likely a kilij) as a sidearm, but polearms were apparently quite common as a main weapon.  This makes sense, since many of their enemies also used polearms, and thus a zirhli nefer armed only with a saber and mace would have been at a disadvantage

The zrhl nefers also had bows and curved sabres but nearly all of them had either maces axes or polearms and it also depends on the period.The janissaries of the 14th  and 15th centuries probably did use polearms.

Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 20:05
I'm partial to the sarissa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123