Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are France and Poland antisemitic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are France and Poland antisemitic?
    Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 11:59
maharbbal you are jewish now? didnt you say youre a greek coming from constantinople in the 18th century?

sorry if i made a mistake.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 03:15
Originally posted by Dharmagape

Originally posted by ataman

It is another crap statement. Even Communists weren't 'systematically anti-jewish'. In the period 1945-1956 a lot of Jews were more than welcomed workers of the State administration. For example they were largely employed by the Ministry of Public Security, whose main goal was a political repression and physical elimination of Communist opponents.
Actually, much more Poles died froim Jewish hands, than Jews from Polish hands.

Would you mind expanding on that?
Is there really any facts to back up such a statement?
And is this a common Polish sentiment, that the Jews have been killing Poles in large numbers?
One must not insult the future.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 09:04
Originally posted by Joinville

It is another crap statement. Even Communists weren't 'systematically anti-jewish'. In the period 1945-1956 a lot of Jews were more than welcomed workers of the State administration. For example they were largely employed by the Ministry of Public Security, whose main goal was a political repression and physical elimination of Communist opponents.

And is this a common Polish sentiment, that the Jews have been killing Poles in large numbers?

1. What I meant by that is that the management of the stalinist Ministry of Public Security (known also as the Office of Security) consisted of Jews, almost totally. The only one ethnic Pole in the management was Radkiewicz. Mietkowski, Fejgin, Romkowski, Światło, Rżański, Jakub Berman and others were ethnic Jews. Some of them were not even Polish Jews but Jews "imported" from the Soviet Union. Very similar situation had taken place in other Eastern European countries, which have been dominated after WWII by the Soviet Union. Generally, the overrepresentation of people of Jewish origin in communist regimes is significant, especially in:
a) security services, secret policies and apparatuses of repression;
b) higher posts and positions of communist regimes and parties.
2. 60 to 80 % of higher NKVD officers were of Jewish origin. Source: Jaroslav Hrycak's "Historia Ukrainy. 1772-1999" ("The History of Ukraine. 1772-1999").
I think that you know that the Ministry of Public Security and NKVD killed hundreds thousands of Poles during
a) the Great Terror
b) the Soviet occupation 1939-41
c) the stalinist regime implied on Poland in 1944-56
For instance, historians know currently that during two years of the Great Terror in Soviet Union approximately 144.000 Poles have been arrested by NKVD. The predominant majority of them were later shot. Source: "Polakw setkami brać!", "Gazeta Wyborcza", 11-12 VIII 2007.
That is why I wrote: [/QUOTE]Actually, much more Poles died from Jewish hands, than Jews from Polish hands.[/QUOTE]
3. You called it "sentiment". I think that generally many inhabitants of former communist countries in Eastern Europe (Baltic states, Russia, Belorus, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, former Yugoslavia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia) realize that people of Jewish origin had a significant role in communist apparatuses of repressions (NKVD and its clones) and in communist movements and governments in Europe. This "sentiment", as you called it, is not circumscribed to Poland.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 14:18

Originally posted by Joinville

1. What I meant by that is that the management of the stalinist Ministry of Public Security (known also as the Office of Security) consisted of Jews, almost totally. The only one ethnic Pole in the management was Radkiewicz. Mietkowski, Fejgin, Romkowski, ?wiat?o, R?a?ski, Jakub Berman and others were ethnic Jews. Some of them were not even Polish Jews but Jews "imported" from the Soviet Union. Very similar situation had taken place in other Eastern European countries, which have been dominated after WWII by the Soviet Union. Generally, the overrepresentation of people of Jewish origin in communist regimes is significant, especially in:a) security services, secret policies and apparatuses of repression;b) higher posts and positions of communist regimes and parties.2. 60 to 80 % of higher NKVD officers were of Jewish origin. Source: Jaroslav Hrycak's "Historia Ukrainy. 1772-1999" ("The History of Ukraine. 1772-1999").I think that you know that the Ministry of Public Security and NKVD killed hundreds thousands of Poles duringa) the Great Terrorb) the Soviet occupation 1939-41c) the stalinist regime implied on Poland in 1944-56For instance, historians know currently that during two years of the Great Terror in Soviet Union approximately 144.000 Poles have been arrested by NKVD. The predominant majority of them were later shot. Source: "Polakw setkami bra?!", "Gazeta Wyborcza", 11-12 VIII 2007.That is why I wrote:
Actually, much more Poles died from Jewish hands, than Jews from Polish hands.[/QUOTE]
3. You called it "sentiment". I think that generally many inhabitants of former communist countries in Eastern Europe (Baltic states, Russia, Belorus, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, former Yugoslavia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia) realize that people of Jewish origin had a significant role in communist apparatuses of repressions (NKVD and its clones) and in communist movements and governments in Europe. This "sentiment", as you called it, is not circumscribed to Poland.[/QUOTE]
Oh yes, the Soviet system was fantastically and murderously repressive. That's quite well known, and not contested in anyway.

But somehow the statement "The NKVD/Bolsheviks killed a lot of people" is somehow deficient if it doesn't also specify that the killers were Jews?

When being a Bolshevik hitman or administrator of mass murder, what somehow matters is that you're of Jewish descent? The ideology "Bolshevik" never overtakes the aspect of "Jew"? I would think it does, rendering whether these people were Jewish or not inconseqiential. Would you agree?

I don't think you meant anything very profound with your original observation. I still find it troubling. The kind of think people say because it's part of stuff one doesn't really think too much about.
One must not insult the future.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 06:32
So i guess Poland having harboured jews for centurys is actualy antisemetic i never wouldve seen that one coming LOL.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Turenne View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Turenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 13:59
While I know that antisemitism exists is France, it would be an lie to call France itself antisemitic.  During WW2, it is true that the racial tension toward the jewish community was more present in the Hexagone, but it was a very widespread phenomenon in Europe and America at the time.

As for Modern France, it is far from antisemitic.  While there are some racist politicians (Jean-Marie LePen comes to mind here), it remains one of the country with the most important Jewish community in Europe and the secular approach of the government assures that religion is rarely an issue.

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack."

Ferdinand Foch
winningstad View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote winningstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 15:11
I´m not up to speed on recent French antisemitism. But there´s no point denying the rabid antisemitism in Poland during the inter-war years. Quite frankly, it´s possible to argue that antisemitism was even more widespread among Poles than Germans. When it comes to institutionalized antisemitism there´s certainly no comparison, but that should be more attributed to the political organization of Germany.

Edited by winningstad - 17-Dec-2008 at 15:14
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 04:29
I would agree that there is a good amount of antisemitism in Poland but people are making this a one way street. Jews and Poles have had tension throughout all of history, There is plenty of anti-polonism rampant on the Jewish side so most of the hate is continued/brought on purly because the other guy doesn't like you.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 11:57

Anti-Semitic was  rampant in late 19th century France.Newspapers and public officials openly cursed Jews.

Read the case of Dreyfus Affair.

zeeshan_2011 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote zeeshan_2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 00:13
its better.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 21:10
My answer, as regards the "original" question, is YES!

It is ingrained for centuries! And, groups on both sides continue to keep the hatred, from both sides, to continue!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2010 at 12:11
Originally posted by opuslola

My answer, as regards the "original" question, is YES!

It is ingrained for centuries! And, groups on both sides continue to keep the hatred, from both sides, to continue!

Im Polish and Im not antisemite. How will you explain it?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2010 at 13:04
A Polish blood sucking insect?   

But, you understand that you are you and millions of other Poles and Franks, and English are not you!

I speak for the mainstream center! While it may not be openly manifest, it always exists under the table, in private jokes, etc.!

Nothing much can be done about it, I am afraid!

And, besides, in France, for example, a large minority of the nation is Moslem! Do I have to ask their position vis a vis the Jews?

Maybe the real question might have been? "Are France and Poland anti-muslim?"

Would any of your answers change? Would mine?

But, of course, as in many things that I write, I could well be wrong? I certainly hope so!

Regards, as always!

Edited by opuslola - 07-Apr-2010 at 15:26
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2010 at 14:19

A Polish blood sucking insect?   

But, you understand that you are you and millions of other Poles and Franks, and English are not you!

I speak for the mainstream center! While it may not be openly manifest, it always exists under the table, in private jokes, etc.!

Nothing much can be done about it, I am afraid!

And, besides, in France, for example, a large minority of the nation is Moslem! Do I have to ask their position vis a vis the Jews?

Maybe the real question might have been? "Are France and Poland anti-muslim?"

Would any of your answers change? Would mine?

But, of course, as in many things that I write, I could well be wrong? I certainly hope so!

Regards, as always!

I wouldnt dare to say that in Poland or France now, the mainstream is antisemitic. There are some people that are antisemitic as well as there are some people anti-(add here any word you like).

As for muslims I think that it is muslim world that put itself against western/christian/liberal/non muslim - or whatever world. After watching a movie in which muslim terrorists decapitate with little knife a guy from the west, everyone becomes antimuslim. Westerners or chirstians or however we call the people who are by muslisms considered as enemies - dont kidnapp muslim people and make movies of their decapitation. Nowadays none feel safe when traveling by plain he notices that on the board are people who are looking like Arabs or others from the muslim world. Whats more muslim people come to Europe and instead of assimilating with local society they create their own ghettos trying to live in the same way as they did in the countries that they came from with the same religious restrictions, ready to kill those who violate them. Theo van Gogh was maybe an idiot but he had every right to express in his country his opinion about muslims, but muslims muredered him for that.

Edited by Mosquito - 08-Apr-2010 at 14:20
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2010 at 14:44
Thanks for your view! Perhaps my view is clouded by my mostly American upbringing? But, amongst people aged 60 or older, in most of the USA, there has always existed a smouldering anti-semite feel! As I said, it is subtle, but lingering!

And, to let you know, that my view is not limited to just one or two places (areas) I have lived for months at a time in NYC, Philadelphia, Washington, DC (Virgina side), Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, Memphis, the Florida Pan-handle area, New Orleans, Mobile, AL, Del Rio, TX, Glenn Co., FL, and the Gulf Coast of Mississippi! The only states in the USA that I have not seen, are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island! Yes, I have also been in Hawaii and Alaska!

Due to work or pleasure, I have also visited Germany, England, Spain, Portugal, France (and Monte Carlo), Italy, Greece, Austria, Israel, Turkey, Japan, China, Taiwan, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Mexico, etc.!

And, after seeing all of the photos that Cyrus has posted concerning Iran, I certainly wish I has also visited it!

As Yoda might say "Well travelled, I am!"

So, as you might see, I don't think that I am merely a product of limited contact with other people and other ideas, etc.!

My Regards, as always!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2010 at 15:12

Thanks for your view! Perhaps my view is clouded by my mostly American upbringing? But, amongst people aged 60 or older, in most of the USA, there has always existed a smouldering anti-semite feel! As I said, it is subtle, but lingering!

And, to let you know, that my view is not limited to just one or two places (areas) I have lived for months at a time in NYC, Philadelphia, Washington, DC (Virgina side), Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, Memphis, the Florida Pan-handle area, New Orleans, Mobile, AL, Del Rio, TX, Glenn Co., FL, and the Gulf Coast of Mississippi! The only states in the USA that I have not seen, are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island! Yes, I have also been in Hawaii and Alaska!

Due to work or pleasure, I have also visited Germany, England, Spain, Portugal, France (and Monte Carlo), Italy, Greece, Austria, Israel, Turkey, Japan, China, Taiwan, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Mexico, etc.!

And, after seeing all of the photos that Cyrus has posted concerning Iran, I certainly wish I has also visited it!

As Yoda might say "Well travelled, I am!"

So, as you might see, I don't think that I am merely a product of limited contact with other people and other ideas, etc.!

My Regards, as always!

Well, I do myself also travel a lot but i belive that it is hard to judge the people unless one live with them. I would like to travel to Iran as well but ill wait till ayatollah regime collapse :). Right now im preparing myself for the trip to Cuba (must visit it before Fidel will die :) ) but I cant find my passport which I didnt use for a year and slowly im getting panicked about it.

And I think it is unclear what exactly the word "antisemitism" means. There are some people who call others antisemites for saying anything that Jews might not like even if it is a fact.

Edited by Mosquito - 08-Apr-2010 at 15:14
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 14:13
I sometimes feel that Jewish jokes are a lot like Polish jokes, or Finlander jokes, or take you pick of various peoples picked for a time to take the brunt of jokes, no matter how serious the background of the joke might be!

Jews and Arabs for a fact, have been jokingly accused of being "ussery earning" bankers for years! And by who's authority did they get these jobs? Why by the so called Christian Church or certain Popes, etc,!

According to both Jewish and Arabic history (I believe) all debts were supposeldy forgiven after "seven years" or so! If I am incorrect please point out my mistake(s)!

Almost any new group of persons from one world to another is suddenly thrown into the "joke group" by virtue of their "strange" customs as well as their "bad language!", that is, they did not speak the language spoken by the majority!

Well, you get my point, I am sure!

Back, to Beck@!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 18:47
I am most surprised that no one has yet to respond to our remarks made above? Could it be that most of you actually agree with me, or do you agree with the "small blood sucking insect?" LOL

Regards,
C. Isaurikon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 20:37
What do we define as anti-Semitic? Some would consider opposition to ANYTHING the state of Israel might do to be anti-Semitic; I do not.

If those claiming the French and Polish are an anti-Semitic people, that is that their mainstream populations are guilty of overt racial prejudice and injustice against Jews, then that might be a good point to start from in looking at the issue.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2010 at 23:59

...this is true... but we dont hear about it because we dont have a fancy word for it like the jews do (antisemitism) :P jks.
For real though, Im not very anti-anything, doesnt matter what race you are, you'll find good people and assholes everywhere. And seriously I'm gettin really sick of the whole "thats so anti-semitic" accusations. Yeah, I wouldnt be suprised if there were some Anti-Semites in Poland and it probably has a lot to do with some Poles getting backstabbed by some Jews by changing sides to the soviets or Nazi's or just because someone lost a relative for hiding a jew...you just dont know, but theres an answer for everything, might not be a good answer but hey, we're all human. Sorry for being so blunt but thats just the way it is.
And just for the record I am Polish and Im VERY tired of Poland being accused of Anti-Semitism, just because really at some point Jewish and Polish history at some point joint together and we got a lot of good things to share too, lets focus on that!

...anyone see that family guy episode when stewy and brian get sent back to 1939 Poland ?
Pozdrawiam!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>