Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you believe that Turkey will enter EU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Poll Question: Turkey in EU
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [6.56%]
14 [22.95%]
5 [8.20%]
1 [1.64%]
7 [11.48%]
30 [49.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Christos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Christos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you believe that Turkey will enter EU
    Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 11:49
  Hi, when do you believe that Turkey will enter EU. Ill Vote maby after 25 years because i think that not even the Turkey really wants to enter and because i think that EU countries except UK dont want really this kind of union. If becomes a deal before the end of 25 years i think that it will be a some kind of "different" union with special rules.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 12:21
"Turkey in EU" is certainly a long term project. The expectation of Turkish side is about 2014, though.
Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 13:14
No

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 13:37
2014 is not a long term.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 13:59
Depends on Turkish goverment's political acts.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by Mortaza

2014 is not a long term.

Since there's a technical impossibility of Turkey's membership before 2014, 2014 could only be the shortest term. LOL 
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 14:26
Why does Turkey want to be in the EU?  The impression I get is that they don't really like Europeans and consider Turkey the center of the universe, so why would such a superior entity need the EU?

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 14:37
Hellios
Callisto Guatelli Pasha wouldnt agree with that assesment.Wink
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 14:47
Even I find the statement disagreeable. Smile

Christos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Christos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 15:07
"Why does Turkey want to be in the EU?  The impression I get is that they don't really like Europeans and consider Turkey the center of the universe, so why would such a superior entity need the EU?"

Perhaps because its economy collapsing and is in social decline?
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 16:16
Turkey economy is expanding very fast and strongly.Nobody is investing his money to a collapsing economy.
I think helios comment is very succesful.Turkey has to realize first if they want to join E.U. and realize what E.U. means.
In reality the states that are members of E.U. give some of their power to the E.U. "goverment".Is Turkish goverment  ready to share their  power with E.U.?
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 20:49
I think the reason Turkey may not enter EU is because EU may become irrelevant in the next ten years. Moribund economy, rampant bureaucracy, lack of leadership.
EU was established by France's political leadership and bankrolled by Germany. The only economies with a pulse seem to be British and Irish these days. Nobody has a vision or political clout to lead,
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 21:20
its a long term project to the benefit of the region and the turks. It wont happen while the their military has any political power/influence, hence why i emphasize the long term view.

Economy.

The Turkish economy is going gang busters (albeit from a low base) partly at least, because of the EU talks. The prospects of a country that is relatively large and more importantly cheap (or as a capitalist would say 'competitive') within context of the EU membership is always compelling for a investor. If the talks start to falter or fail, this same foreign direct Investment (FDI) that has poured into the country will go some where else just as quickly, such is nature of international capital. Most other eastern European countries that have joined the EU also have enjoyed the same boom times and investments. I would think that they would benefit more if turkey doesn't join which would mean they remain the most 'competitive' in terms of wages and property.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 00:03
    I know one thing is they need to allow freedom of religion. Even though freedom of religion is in the Turkish constitution, try passing out a Bible. I was talking to a Turkish women in her store and asking about her protestant beliefs and she turned to me and went shhhhhh!!!
She told me they do not have freedom of religion like in America.

Turkey could lose freedoms as well. The Turkish government still allows the private ownership of hand guns so would that end with EU membership????

Under the codex vitamins are heavily restricted in Europe but Turkey today has the same freedoms that Americans enjoy when it comes to vitamins and other nutritional supports. The dose of vitamins I take are illegal in EU countries. Would Turkey also lose this freedom?

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 00:56
Economically, Turkey is already a de facto member of the EU as there is a complete freedom of movement of goods. The only thing that is missing if freedom of movement of labour, but that is unlikely to happen even if Turkey joins.

Politically, Turkey is unlikely to ever join, because first of all it is not in the interest of the Franco-German core to let a populous Muslim country enter, and second of all Turks are becoming increasing nationalistic and unwilling to relinquish  any sovereignty to the EU.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 01:10
Originally posted by Christos

Perhaps because its economy collapsing and is in social decline?

Economic collapse?
Turkey is the fastest growing economy in Europe with growth rates averaging 7% for the past few years. 

Social decline?
Today Turkey is more democratic than it has ever been in its history.

The Turkish government pursues EU membership mainly for the following reasons:
1. Eu membership would provide guarantees for the Turkish state in the volatile Middle East.
2. Stability in the economy which is overly dependent on speculative short term capital.
3. European aid to improve the infrastructure.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 05:53
Originally posted by malizai_

Hellios
Callisto Guatelli Pasha wouldnt agree with that assesment.Wink

Are you a comedian?
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 11:26
Originally posted by bg_turk

The Turkish government pursues EU membership mainly for the following reasons:
1. Eu membership would provide guarantees for the Turkish state in the volatile Middle East.
2. Stability in the economy which is overly dependent on speculative short term capital.
3. European aid to improve the infrastructure.

So basically, the government wasnts to use EU to get rich and strong and then drop it?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 11:47
The Turks should forget about it.
Never gonna happen.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 03:06
In reality the states that are members of E.U. give some of their power to the E.U. "goverment".Is Turkish goverment  ready to share their  power with E.U.?

Absolutely not. Sharing power with EU is stupidy. Specially about international politics. EU is like a lazy giant. She have enough power, but not have enough motivation for using her power.

With a such laziness, You cannot survive at middle east.
The Turks should forget about it.
Never gonna happen.

well, important thing is not to enter EU.(Realy, how many turks care to be european?)

But, using EU, as a tool, for economic growth and having more democracy.

Maybe after 10-15 year, we wont need EU, but now we need it.

I should also say, what we gave EU? We gave almost nothing except some words.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>